Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I can't wait to play Asher as a complete murder machine. I hope they give you the options that make him a character that deserved to be exiled but whom is still better than the Whitehills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Oh nice , I wasn't expecting this for another few weeks.

I like Asher; he's got a dark streak but I'm getting more of a "loveable rogue" than a "psycho killer" vibe, his buddy is an incredible badass though.

I'm glad they're having fun with his character because holy gently caress this episode is grim.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You and 4.3% of players sold out Cotter when he stole Finn's knife.

He had it coming.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Did anyone here manage to keep the betrothal intact? And if so, what seemed to be the deciding factor for you?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Slashrat posted:

Did anyone here manage to keep the betrothal intact? And if so, what seemed to be the deciding factor for you?

I did. I ended up offering them half of our Ironwood. Unbeknownst to Rodrick, Mira has also offered large amounts of Ironwood to Tyrion. I dearly hope that these two offers end up in conflict with each other.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Regy Rusty posted:

I did. I ended up offering them half of our Ironwood. Unbeknownst to Rodrick, Mira has also offered large amounts of Ironwood to Tyrion. I dearly hope that these two offers end up in conflict with each other.

Same here.

Also Mira kept the knife. Seems like something she would do. It is definitely going to bite me in the rear end.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I didn't keep the marriage not that it'll matter much, otherwise a choice like that seems like it would split the game too much if they keep it a split path

I also didn't keep the knife, because that seems like a trap.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

This series really makes you eat poo poo, doesn't it?

Have to say my favorite bits were playing as Asher "Han Solo" Forester.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Slashrat posted:

I managed it. I had Mira forge a letter, and when Eleana asked if that meant I was forcing her with the weight of the Tyrells, I said she was free to choose.

I also kept the knife, because like hell is chucking it three feet from the crime scene a good idea

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Roman Reigns posted:

This series really makes you eat poo poo, doesn't it?

Have to say my favorite bits were playing as Asher "Han Solo" Forester.

poo poo, yes! Exactly!

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Obliterati posted:

I managed it. I had Mira forge a letter, and when Eleana asked if that meant I was forcing her with the weight of the Tyrells, I said she was free to choose.

I also kept the knife, because like hell is chucking it three feet from the crime scene a good idea

Yeah, these were mine as well.

Also, what happens if you choose to attack Damien instead of running? Does she kill him right there, or just injure him? My line of thinking is that an injured guard would tell others which was something Mira could do without and I didn't want to take that 50/50 chance of somebody weeding her out.

On another note, I'm really glad that the actors from the show didn't phone it in. It's good to see that they take the side stuff as seriously as the real deal.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DialTheDude posted:

Also, what happens if you choose to attack Damien instead of running? Does she kill him right there, or just injure him? My line of thinking is that an injured guard would tell others which was something Mira could do without and I didn't want to take that 50/50 chance of somebody weeding her out.

On another note, I'm really glad that the actors from the show didn't phone it in. It's good to see that they take the side stuff as seriously as the real deal.
She kills him.

I wonder how far they are going to take some of these choices because they at least seem to have bigger impact than TWD Season 2 and TWAU, like Margery being unwilling to help because her first try didn't end so well.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 3, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DialTheDude posted:

She murders the poo poo out of him and it's extremely badass. Mira is my favorite character.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Obliterati posted:

I chucked that poo poo as fast as I could. What're they gonna do? Dust for prints?

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 3, 2015

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Winklebottom posted:

I chucked that poo poo as fast as I could. What're they gonna do? Dust for prints?

Note that a guy disappeared, remember that he was last seen with you in pretty much that exact spot and, I don't know, look around for a minute? At least if there's no knife it might take longer to join the dots.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Obliterati posted:

Note that a guy disappeared, remember that he was last seen with you in pretty much that exact spot and, I don't know, look around for a minute? At least if there's no knife it might take longer to join the dots.

Yeah, I remembered the guard right after but I'd still prefer not to run around with a Lannister knife on me. Knowing Telltale, both choices will come back to bite you in the rear end anyway :v:

Mira's story is getting pretty engaging and Asher and Rodrik seem like solid dudes. I hope they have a family reunion and murder Lord Whitehill in some horrible fashion.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Winklebottom posted:

Yeah, I remembered the guard right after but I'd still prefer not to run around with a Lannister knife on me. Knowing Telltale, both choices will come back to bite you in the rear end anyway :v:

Mira's story is getting pretty engaging and Asher and Rodrik seem like solid dudes. I hope they have a family reunion and murder Lord Whitehill in some horrible fashion.

Calling it that the wedding feast of Rodrick and Elaena will have plenty of Frey Whitehill Pie. I'm setting up Rodrick as a shell of a man fueled purely by blind rage, so this better end in some Titus Andronicus level poo poo.

Mira's sections are getting really good too. Staring down that blubbering fat Whitehill gently caress like a boss was probably my favorite dialogue choice of the episode.

beefart fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 4, 2015

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I felt like this episode was pretty strong and also I got to ask a man about loving potatoes, so basically Telltale should keep this up

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked the first episode, but this was much, much stronger. I'd go so far as to say it's one of Telltale's best episodes. Everything about it was super well-done.

Beskha was awesome. Frostfinger was awesome. Lord Whitehill was awesome. Mira was awesome. Even that stereotypical bully was awesome, and my one regret was that you couldn't just stand aside and let him own that idiot thief. In hindsight I wish I had ratted him out.

I think they really nailed the atmosphere this time, and I don't know if I'm imagining this, but I thought graphically looked a lot better too; there was a lot of really neat cinematography on display. That song was awesome. Man, good poo poo, Telltale.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I kissed the Whitehill dude's ring and immediately regretted it, but after what happened with Ethan I didn't want to risk causing another incident so soon. Can someone tell me what happens if you don't kiss his ring?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Frankston posted:

I kissed the Whitehill dude's ring and immediately regretted it, but after what happened with Ethan I didn't want to risk causing another incident so soon. Can someone tell me what happens if you don't kiss his ring?
Whitehill threatens to just take all the Ironwood for himself. Elaena is also impressed by Roderick not backing down. Like Beefart I'm totally playing Roderick as a changed man wanting vengeance and not taking Whitehill's poo poo. Seemed pretty appropriate, especially after playing Ethan diplomatically.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Definitely thought this one was more interesting than the first one. But I'm not gonna make the mistake of playing it again and ruining it :D. Except I did make a save file where I had a gimmick of responding silently every single time possible and seeing if there's any deviation from playing "straight", so I might continue that one.

Also seems like quite a few people called one of the big "twists" right away, good job.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 4, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just got to the part where John Snow shows up. Why does he seem to be one of the bigwigs? Isn't he still sort of a scrub as far as the night's watch is concerned at this point in the story?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

I think they really nailed the atmosphere this time, and I don't know if I'm imagining this, but I thought graphically looked a lot better too; there was a lot of really neat cinematography on display. That song was awesome. Man, good poo poo, Telltale.

I noticed it too. The animation was still a little stiff, but the expressions and subtle glances seemed much improved.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Hot drat, that was a good episode! I know episode 1 could be a bit of a slow burn, but this episode made up for it a thousand times over! I'm really digging all the characters, especially Asher, playing an amoral fun loving sellsword just seems like a blat, but again, gotta give it Mira's parts, they're easily my favorite.

Seven hells, its going to be a long couple months for the next episode.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That was a fine episode. It felt like an actual Game of Thrones episode, engaging the whole way through. And that loving song at the end. So far my characters are Asher: Murder machine, Roderick: We're getting this house back on solid ground Mira: DTA

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Echoing what everyone has said about this episode being really strong. I loved every minute of it and it feels like they've taken criticisms of the first episode to heart. Now that everything is more or less set-up it feels like Telltale is able to hit their groove of telling a good story and keeping you invested in the characters. I don't think anyone isn't rooting for the various Forrester kids.

I also agree with whoever said the show actors are putting on a good show, the part when you're in the elevator at Castle Black and you have a chat with Jon Snow was actually pretty great, it was a nice break from the high-stakes conversations at the various courts and you got to share the common sentiment of "gently caress back-stabbing south-loving assholes".

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I clicked on the IGN review and heard all of about 30 seconds of it before I disagreed with the thesis. The guy says it's straight forward and that there isn't a lot of back stabbing. You know what would have made this episode great? If Lady Forester decided to stab her kids while they slept. What a twist that would have been.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Just got to the part where John Snow shows up. Why does he seem to be one of the bigwigs? Isn't he still sort of a scrub as far as the night's watch is concerned at this point in the story?

At this point in the story he's Lord Commander of the Night's Watch after Mormont got fragged north of the Wall and Sam rigged the vote for his successor.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This hasn't happened yet. This is taking place before the Wildling Attack that was the big end of season 4.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

This hasn't happened yet. This is taking place before the Wildling Attack that was the big end of season 4.

Sorry, it's been a while since I read the books, and I don't follow the show so I'm not sure where the game falls exactly within the HBO franchise. I just refreshed myself, however, and this is all book 3 stuff. The only part of my post which hasn't happened is the (book spoilers) Lord Commander part, and I seem to recall from the books that there was a very small window between Jon leaving the Wildlings and them attacking the Wall, like a week or something like that, then he gets imprisoned for treason and then elected. Is it different in the show?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's pretty different in the show yes. All of season 4 takes place after Jon returns from the ranging at the end of season 3. They pad his storyline out a bunch with an invented plotline so that the Wildling attack can be the big season 4 finale.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I only watch the show so that's why it struck me as odd unless I'm screwing the timelines up.

Overall, I'd have to agree it was quite a good episode. It's interesting compared to TWD which is really it's own thing and barely resembles the show but GOT seems very consistent with the style and writing. Only thing that bugged me was that paint filter going berserk all over the place and making random stuff look crappy and fuzzy. I have no idea if it's a bug or if it was intended to look like that but it looked pretty bad.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah I only watch the show so that's why it struck me as odd unless I'm screwing the timelines up.

Overall, I'd have to agree it was quite a good episode. It's interesting compared to TWD which is really it's own thing and barely resembles the show but GOT seems very consistent with the style and writing. Only thing that bugged me was that paint filter going berserk all over the place and making random stuff look crappy and fuzzy. I have no idea if it's a bug or if it was intended to look like that but it looked pretty bad.

I'm pretty sure that's just a default photoshop 'oil painting' filter, it stuck out to me, too. I think it was some kind of response to people saying the game looked bad. Telltale is trying to say, 'No no no, it's a stylistic choice!'

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Generation Internet posted:

At this point in the story he's Lord Commander of the Night's Watch after Mormont got fragged north of the Wall and Sam rigged the vote for his successor.

I think this is way later actually, since this hasn't happened in the show yet. I was under the impression that he had just recently recovered from his run in with Ygritte, which means he's not LC yet and still has to answer to the likes of Thorne and Slynt.

Edit: beaten like Sansa. Awful app refresh! :argh:

beefart fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 4, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just a default photoshop 'oil painting' filter, it stuck out to me, too. I think it was some kind of response to people saying the game looked bad. Telltale is trying to say, 'No no no, it's a stylistic choice!'

It is a stylistic choice, though, even if it looks bad. It was in the first episode too. I guess they're trying to go for some kind of Skyward Sword-esque aesthetic, but the engine isn't equipped to handle it. I think it looks fine for the most part, but when it stands out it really stands out.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

beefart posted:

I think this is way later actually, since this hasn't happened in the show yet. I was under the impression that he had just recently recovered from his run in with Ygritte, which means he's not LC yet and still has to answer to the likes of Thorne and Slynt.

I was wrong, because in the books the attack on the wall happens immediately after he returns to the Night's Watch and I don't watch the show so I didn't know they changed it. The change is best for the show and game, though, since it looks like a key factor in how they pace everything else.

I actually thought this episode looked better than the first one with the heavier application of filter. I think the game looks perfectly fine now, aside from some weirdness with the show actors.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I really wish I could see the states in the loving potatoes line. I'd be shocked if less than 120% of people picked that option. Also I love Asher which means he'll certainly die horribly soon enough. I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

EDIT: Also, I'm not super clear on the timeframe here.

In episode 1, I think(correct me if I'm wrong) they mention it will be at least a week until the Boltons get to the castle, which is when Ethan dies. So was Rodrick loving unconscious for at least a week, and survived with no serious complications? That part seemed a bit forced to me.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 4, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Speaking of Rodrick and Eleana, how the hell does anyone fail this? It's pretty clear from listening to mom Forrester that you just need to flirt her up first, then when you get down to business offer her half the drat Ironwood. Like, if they're going to join houses that poo poo would happen anyways. Choosing any other option seemed really dumb at that point. You didn't need to have Mira forge a letter which probably would have negative consequences down the line.

Of course I'm sure I hosed it all up because I had Rodrick promise the Ironwood to the Glenmores and also to Tyrion vis-a-vis Mira...should be fun figuring out who I'm gonna gently caress over later :v:

Man, the politics of Game of Thrones are so hosed up. There's seemingly no stability at all even in the face of a loving global cooling/zombie menace and it seems like borders shift constantly.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I ran into some strangeness.

In episode one I picked the decent, peaceful guy as my Sentinel but when I started this episode, the warmongering bald guy had the glove and was Sentinel. The game didn't remark on the job changing hands in any way, which leads me to believe I may have run into some kind of bug or scripting error.

Anyone else see anything like this?

• Locked thread