Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

smooth jazz posted:

- this thing will cost Mustang GT money ( yes i know, it's an entirely different kind of driving, altogether ).
Despite being $12k more expensive and totally different kinds of cars I know I'm not the only one cross shopping a GT and a FoST. I care less about the back seat than I do about the real trunk and the $12k difference. On the other hand, sit in both and its obvious where the money goes to. Real LSD, RWD, hell of a lot nicer interior, real brakes, that V8...
It would be nice if could somehow come up with a best of both worlds vehicle (and no, the FoRS is not best of both worlds). The FoRS is a faster focus, not a more utilitarian mustang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wicaeed posted:

I actually never put the front plate on my ST. I know it's a ticketable offense, and I've totally seen the local cops/CHP eye the car over, but nothing yet!

Secretly I think they agree that the front plate destroys the looks and let it slide.

We don't even get issued front plates (except for custom plates) in AZ, so luckily I don't have to worry about that here! Dealers don't even bother with the front plate brackets (thank god).

I'm also an older dude with a Focus ST (in boring silver).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think front plates look fine on the Focus. They really ruin the current shape 3 though, which is unfortunate as they are absolutely 100% compulsory here

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Another Fiesta ST bro checking in, molten orange is definitely a ticket magnet. I had a silver Sportwagen SEL with the 2.0tsi with full exhaust and tune, and drove like an absolute rear end in a top hat everywhere. Not one ticket for 2 years. I've gotten 4 in the ST :(

Kind of jealous of my wife's 15 Abarth we got, its all black and other than the farty sounds, it doesn't scream hey pull me over. (She did get a parking ticket marked out for a Daewoo though so there's that)

Cops suck.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

smooth jazz posted:

-will it have engine noise piped in via the speakers rather than a sound tube?

Does the VW GTI do any of this?

I drove one a few weeks ago and it sounded awesome.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

AnimalChin posted:

Does the VW GTI do any of this?

I drove one a few weeks ago and it sounded awesome.

My bad writing; I would prefer a soundtube over a speaker. Apparently the 2015 ST phased out the Sound Symposer tube and replaced it with speaker noise.
Guess we'll find out what the RS gets....

The MK6 GTI had a dedicated speaker under the dash, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure what the Mk7 has...

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I actually appreciate how quiet and composed my Focus ST is in day to day driving without the symposer hooked up.

The car can still be heard quite well when you get on the gas, which IMO is all that matters.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

smooth jazz posted:

My bad writing; I would prefer a soundtube over a speaker. Apparently the 2015 ST phased out the Sound Symposer tube and replaced it with speaker noise.

Did they really do this? Man here I thought the symposer was a bit silly but appropriating the speakers?? hahaha

howling_mad
May 11, 2014
Another ignot silver owner here.

I replaced my muffler with a Flowmaster DBX and a pair of round tips. That along with the filter and BOV gives a very nice burble sound. It's very quiet below 3k rpms though which is great.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm 28 so I guess I skew young on the FoST owner side. Most of the ones I see around are driven by younger dudes, though.

Ford is already going to sell every RS they make up to a reasonable point, so I think those of you hoping for 30k pricing are deluding yourselves, unfortunately. The WRX STi starts at 34,5. The Golf R is 36,5 with the DCT, so probably like 35,5 without. Is there really a market for the RS at say, 32,5 that there isn't at 34,5? That market better be pretty god damned big to make up that profit loss.

That being said, if it's 30k, I'll buy one immediately, but I still might buy one at 34,5.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I replaced the airbox in my BRZ, and the sound tube was removed as a result. As much as I like engine noise, it just produced an anemic, muffled, raspy engine sound. Just hearing the engine from the bay, and the after-market exhaust is so much nicer.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Gwaihir posted:

Not if you get a white or silver one. That's basically invisibility I guess. I drive a god drat striped up Boss 302, (In which I am less than speed limit abiding in general), but it's white, and I've never been ticketed in it.

The crap, but red, rental sonic I took on a work trip a few years ago is the only car I've ever gotten a ticket in.

Huh, wouldn't have expected that. Every time I see an ST (not that often) it definitely sticks out just because of the body kit. I'm still on the fence with what color I want in the R. I -want- red, but I know it will only bring pain. I drive like a complete shitheel most times in my Golf but it's gray and during winter has black steelies on it, cops don't even look twice. Might just have to go black.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

veedubfreak posted:

Huh, wouldn't have expected that. Every time I see an ST (not that often) it definitely sticks out just because of the body kit. I'm still on the fence with what color I want in the R. I -want- red, but I know it will only bring pain. I drive like a complete shitheel most times in my Golf but it's gray and during winter has black steelies on it, cops don't even look twice. Might just have to go black.

Black is good, I don't know what colors VW offers, but if I was going to grab a Focus it'd definitely be blue. Before the Boss I had two BMWs, a blue 2001 530i (no tickets) and a red '89 E30 (Stopped a few times for inspection crap, ticketed once). Also a silver '91 camry, aka the most invisible car ever produced since there were a billion of them all over.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

smooth jazz posted:

The MK6 GTI had a dedicated speaker under the dash, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure what the Mk7 has...

Ah the delightfully Teutonic-named "soundaktor". It's definitely on the Mk7 GTI. I couldn't quite fit my ham fists into the bay under the windshield wipers to unplug it. I hear you can disable it through third-party software, or just unplug the stupid thing.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

BrownieVK posted:

Another Fiesta ST bro checking in, molten orange is definitely a ticket magnet. I've gotten 4 in the ST :(

Cops suck.

I have a bright red Fiesta ST and have never even gotten a glance from a cop. It's much more likely a combination of the driver and location than color or make and model of car.

I also don't call myself a Fiesta bro. That might be part of the "driver" factor. :v:

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 4, 2015

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

BoostCreep posted:

I have a bright red Fiesta ST and have never even gotten a glance from a cop. It's much more likely a combination of the driver and location than color or make and model of car.

I also don't call myself a Fiesta bro. That might be part of the "driver" factor. :v:

No bro here just a chunky car nerd. :downs: Two of the tickets I could see my house while they were written up. No points, fought all of them. Got one for 5 over on a major interstate the others are from the local speed trap goes from 55mph to 35 on a 4 land road.
Maybe it is a coincidence but I drove way faster when I had the wagon and never was bothered and I had a ticket within a week of getting the ST. Honestly wasn't driving like an rear end either. Maybe it's dashcam time?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BrownieVK posted:

Honestly wasn't driving like an rear end either. Maybe it's dashcam time?

If you're speeding, I don't think video evidence of you speeding is going to help.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Almost 32 and I own a black FoST. The guys at the dealer said I was the oldest to buy one and since getting it, have gotten zero tickets (knock on wood). I think it helps that from afar it looks like a regular Focus hatch. In the front, since its all black, it's difficult to see the nose styling as well. That and I drive like a nerd on the roads because I'm not too keen on getting a ticket.

However I'm taking a road trip up to Galena this year because of the Jalopnik article: http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/the-best-driving-road-ever-in-illinois-1651802709

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Valentine One or nothing - the only time I got a ticket in mine was when I left it in my girlfriends car - and he marked it 56 in a 55 on the ticket and I got it dropped to a littering fine :sweep:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My commute home is really fun. The first 6 miles are lovely 5-10 mph creeping. I weave in and out constantly because half the tards on the road leave mile long gaps between them and the car in front which just screws up the flow. Then as after that, it's 10 miles of nice open highway that if one wanted they could easily cruise 75. And the popo here knows it. So as soon as it opens up, it's middle lane at 60-65 until I see the 1 motorcycle cop that is in the same spot every day unless it's cold outside.
This also somehow manages to get me nearly 50 mpg driving home :)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

My commute home is really fun. The first 6 miles are lovely 5-10 mph creeping. I weave in and out constantly because half the tards on the road leave mile long gaps between them and the car in front which just screws up the flow. Then as after that, it's 10 miles of nice open highway that if one wanted they could easily cruise 75. And the popo here knows it. So as soon as it opens up, it's middle lane at 60-65 until I see the 1 motorcycle cop that is in the same spot every day unless it's cold outside.
This also somehow manages to get me nearly 50 mpg driving home :)

I know the impatient parts of human brains can't stand this, but it's scientifically proven that drivers that leave a buffer in front of them during stop and go traffic actually relieve traffic congestion for everyone behind them.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

bobfather posted:

I know the impatient parts of human brains can't stand this, but it's scientifically proven that drivers that leave a buffer in front of them during stop and go traffic actually relieve traffic congestion for everyone behind them.

It really enrages everyone behind me when I go the average speed of traffic instead of speeding up just to slam on the brakes again.

It also has the added benefit of unfucking merges due to added room.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Laranzu posted:

It really enrages everyone behind me when I go the average speed of traffic instead of speeding up just to slam on the brakes again.

It also has the added benefit of unfucking merges due to added room.

I feel you. Personally, I just find it nicer to slowly cruise through stop and go traffic rather than start and stop like everyone else. Easier on my left foot that way, though with the majority of cars being autos these days, you can see why not many other people care to do the same.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
I also leave a few carlengths in stop-n-go traffic. Definitely makes it easier for people to move about and change lanes and typically gives me a better vantage point for when I want to change lanes.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Hot Hatch Discussion Thread: We all grew into sensible drivers

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I have been eyeballing Mazdaspeed 3's quite a bit recently. I have never owned a turbo car, and buying a used one with 50k+ miles worries me a little. How have your MS3's held up, goons?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

bobfather posted:

The Hot Hatch Discussion Thread: We all grew into sensible drivers

It's true. I don't get tickets at the racetrack!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I am completely underwhelmed by the RS's styling. Am I the only one who feels this way?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

I have been eyeballing Mazdaspeed 3's quite a bit recently. I have never owned a turbo car, and buying a used one with 50k+ miles worries me a little. How have your MS3's held up, goons?

I only have 47k on my 08, but so far so good. Nothing major to mention. Suspension sounds downright broken when it gets below 25F or so but I understand thats kind of normal. Windshield cowling rattles when it gets colder than 50F, also super common. A few other little rattles but nothing I can complain about. Other than oil changes, only had to replace the battery and front brake pads so far, and probably because I did a full track day on the stock pads. Still puts a poo poo eating grin on my face.

Check with IOC, pretty sure he had over 100k on his.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rhyno posted:

So I am completely underwhelmed by the RS's styling. Am I the only one who feels this way?

What are you looking for? I'm of the opinion it looks a little too boy racer for me these days.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

skipdogg posted:

What are you looking for? I'm of the opinion it looks a little too boy racer for me these days.

I was sort of hoping they'd go whole hog with absurd fender flares and a giant wing to go the opposite route of the Golf R.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

skipdogg posted:

This
VVVV

Bovril Delight posted:

I was sort of hoping they'd go whole hog with absurd fender flares and a giant wing to go the opposite route of the Golf R.

It's not boy racer enough.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
While I like the current styling, I agree. It's almost as with the modern WRX, I mean sure it looks sporty and 'car people' know it means business, but it doesn't stand out like the earlier models did.

I'm poor enough that if I'm paying $35k+ for a sporty car, I want it to have just a ever slight touch of ridiculousness.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Maybe they can do a Ken Block version with massive wings and Monster Energy Drink decals on it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You Am I posted:

Maybe they can do a Ken Block version with massive wings and Monster Energy Drink decals on it

With ken block involved in the development, it would be a real missed opportunity to not to a "43 edition" or something with wacky colored wheels and such.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just wanted wheel arches so badly.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Rhyno posted:

I just wanted wheel arches so badly.

They would have been functional too. The ST has a turning radius comparable to a F150

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Manawski posted:

They would have been functional too. The ST has a turning radius comparable to a F150

Our Focus Titanium with the handling package has a 40' turning radius. It really is absurd.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Manawski posted:

I'm used to driving an F150, so the ST doesn't bother me at all. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Our Focus Titanium with the handling package has a 40' turning radius. It really is absurd.

I need to do an Austin Powers every time I want to park at home.
I suppose it's offset by the sense of occasion I feel when dropping into those Recaros every morning.