Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

mysterious loyall Y posted:

lmao do they have any idea where the plot is going or are they just going to drag this poo poo out forever

Definitely the second one, I used to enjoy the rear end Creed plot but at this point it's completely obvious that there will be no resolution, it will get more and more convoluted until the series just dies. It kind of reminds me of how Tekken has to keep coming up with reasons to have everyone fight each other every few years, but Tekken is a beat em up so who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Walton Simons posted:

Definitely the second one, I used to enjoy the rear end Creed plot but at this point it's completely obvious that there will be no resolution, it will get more and more convoluted until the series just dies. It kind of reminds me of how Tekken has to keep coming up with reasons to have everyone fight each other every few years, but Tekken is a beat em up so who cares.

You can say the same thing about rear end Creed now. I don't really play the games for the story after Ezio's trilogy, I just try to see how much of a motherfuckin' ninja I can be in a simulator. Unity was pretty bad with its glitchiness and inability sometimes to connect to someone to do co-op, but I liked the fact that they moved back to its 'roots' by giving you an assassination target and putting the details in your hands.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Walton Simons posted:

It kind of reminds me of how Tekken has to keep coming up with reasons to have everyone fight each other every few years, but Tekken is a beat em up so who cares.

Don't they just keep introducing new members of the Mishima family who all want to kill each other? How old is Heihachi even these days?

But really. it seems to be something that every fighting game series struggles with. Even Virtua Fighter couldn't settle for "this is character X and he/she represents Y fighting style. the end."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Except if a fighting game didn't have a plot there would be people on the internet bitching about it being completely plotless. There's no real way to win.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Rick_Hunter posted:

You can say the same thing about rear end Creed now. I don't really play the games for the story after Ezio's trilogy, I just try to see how much of a motherfuckin' ninja I can be in a simulator. Unity was pretty bad with its glitchiness and inability sometimes to connect to someone to do co-op, but I liked the fact that they moved back to its 'roots' by giving you an assassination target and putting the details in your hands.

I didn't realize anyone played the AC games for their story. Pretty much since the first game I've always rushed through the present day stuff as fast as I possibly could because I really just wanted to play an assassin guy in some cool historical setting (because I'm a huge history nerd). The games would have been fine for me if they had just eliminated all the genetic memory poo poo completely.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I was never bothered by the present day story stuff and don't recall it being like an overwhelmingly large part of the game and I played some of all the main games in the series. Aliens and betrayal and internet battles were all OK with me.

Welp bye.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I was the opposite. I loved the present-day stuff. I'm not a fan of the historical fanfiction stuff. Especially with Ezio's story just going on and on and on. I like conspiracies, doomsday poo poo, and stuff in the past that links to the present, like the ending of AC2.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I was the opposite. I loved the present-day stuff. I'm not a fan of the historical fanfiction stuff. Especially with Ezio's story just going on and on and on. I like conspiracies, doomsday poo poo, and stuff in the past that links to the present, like the ending of AC2.

That still kind of begs the question of why on earth would you play a game that's like 99% historical fanfiction if you hate it?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kimmalah posted:

That still kind of begs the question of why on earth would you play a game that's like 99% historical fanfiction if you hate it?

Because I like the gameplay - besides, I don't 'hate' the history stuff, I just don't really care about what's going on in it, and just would rather see more present-day stuff. I liked the present-day interstitial stuff from the first game that gave you a moment to take a breather, learn more about the world and the characters, and delve a little deeper into the wacky antics of Abstergo. Kind of wish there was more of that 'world-building' in the later games (granted, the latest one I've beaten is Brotherhood, I take a while to get through them).

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Len posted:

Except if a fighting game didn't have a plot there would be people on the internet bitching about it being completely plotless. There's no real way to win.

Virtua Fighter 5 is as close as you can be to plotless and it's the best fighting game

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

This is where it comes down to the specific franchises. Soul Calibur, for example, you are 100% correct and the fact that they destroyed the single player campaigns really hurt 4 and 5. But Soul Calibur isn't exactly a super competitive or skill-based game.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I've played all the mainline Assassin's Creed games, (except Unity, don't have a PS4 or XBone) and the modern day plot is becoming more and more irrelevant. Even if I were into it at first it's been ruined by the current day sections being so boring compared to the rest of the game.

Also Ubisoft need to give up on trying to write "snarky" characters. They're always annoying. In AC:Rogue your handler refers to you solely as knucklehead the entire game and (ending spoiler) I was severely disappointed that you didn't get to murder her at the end.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Because I like the gameplay - besides, I don't 'hate' the history stuff, I just don't really care about what's going on in it, and just would rather see more present-day stuff. I liked the present-day interstitial stuff from the first game that gave you a moment to take a breather, learn more about the world and the characters, and delve a little deeper into the wacky antics of Abstergo. Kind of wish there was more of that 'world-building' in the later games (granted, the latest one I've beaten is Brotherhood, I take a while to get through them).

The present day stuff is already so muddled and non-sensical that going into it further would be a nightmare. And personally I just find following some boring dude in a hoodie around to be a huge letdown after playing as Altair/Ezio/whoever for the last hour.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
This has probably been said before, but, Skyrim and Dragon Age Inquisition:

Mountains.

loving mountains everywhere. Pretty much all of the time in both games when you're not fighting, you're heading across the map towards a quest marker, with a huge mountain range blocking your path every loving time. So you alternate between trying to go around the entire goddamned mountain range to find the one way in, or you try jumping your way up the goddamned mountain range, which does sometimes work. Except in Dragon age inquisition, when it never works and you just slide down like the mountainside is greased and injure yourself.

gently caress you, mountains.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Orange Sunshine posted:

loving mountains everywhere. Pretty much all of the time in both games when you're not fighting, you're heading across the map towards a quest marker, with a huge mountain range blocking your path every loving time. So you alternate between trying to go around the entire goddamned mountain range to find the one way in, or you try jumping your way up the goddamned mountain range, which does sometimes work ride a horse straight over the mountain because Bethesda got horses confused with goats.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The biggest thing dragging down Saints Row IV: Pretty Dress-Up Simulator for me is that there are no go-go boots to go with the dress.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

"Oh gently caress this guy is chasing me and I can't take him in a fight"

*summons Arvak, trots up 88-degree incline*

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

LoonShia posted:

The biggest thing dragging down Saints Row IV: Pretty Dress-Up Simulator for me is that there are no go-go boots to go with the dress.

It's a crime that Saints Row doesn't have Steam Workshop support.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

kazil posted:

It's a crime that Saints Row doesn't have Steam Workshop support.

I think Volition was looking into implementing that now that mod tools are out?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Kimmalah posted:

I didn't realize anyone played the AC games for their story. Pretty much since the first game I've always rushed through the present day stuff as fast as I possibly could because I really just wanted to play an assassin guy in some cool historical setting (because I'm a huge history nerd). The games would have been fine for me if they had just eliminated all the genetic memory poo poo completely.

I'm not gonna say that the story of rear end Creed is stellar or anything. I don't enjoy the modern day segments because they're usually toned down versions of when you're in the machine. Even Ezio's trilogy isn't that great - It's revenge, super revenge, and 'I'm getting to old for this poo poo'. But I enjoyed it and that's what counts to me. I also do enjoy reading a lot of the history stuff in the database that springs up during gameplay. I learned a lot about the French Revolution just from AC Unity.

I think Ubisoft is being purposely tongue-in-cheek about placing the newer modern day segments in an evil media subsidiary of Abstergo. It's almost :ironicat:.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I've played all the mainline Assassin's Creed games, (except Unity, don't have a PS4 or XBone) and the modern day plot is becoming more and more irrelevant. Even if I were into it at first it's been ruined by the current day sections being so boring compared to the rest of the game.

Also Ubisoft need to give up on trying to write "snarky" characters. They're always annoying. In AC:Rogue your handler refers to you solely as knucklehead the entire game and (ending spoiler) I was severely disappointed that you didn't get to murder her at the end.
Prepare to get annoyed if you ever play Unity, because there's a handler in that game who only refers to you as "pisspot". And he refers to you a lot.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In a perfect world the guy whore writes the snarky descriptions for Assassin's Creed and the guy who writes the snarky descriptions for Far Cry would enter a snark-off and give each other a lethal case of snark poisoning so the world would be spared their aggravating and unnecceasary attempts at humor.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Nuebot posted:

But Soul Calibur isn't exactly a super competitive or skill-based game.

This is wayyy wrong though.

People expect a good story mode out of Soul Calibur and MK because they've had them in the past. Capcom has never made a good story mode in a fighting game so people don't have the same expectation in Marvel or Street Fighter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jmcrofts posted:

This is wayyy wrong though.

People expect a good story mode out of Soul Calibur and MK because they've had them in the past. Capcom has never made a good story mode in a fighting game so people don't have the same expectation in Marvel or Street Fighter.

This is true, but I still think another reason Soul Calibur suffers without the story mode is... well, there just isn't much draw without it. There's not much that Soul Calibur does, mechanically, to stand out from the crowd. Alternate weapons with different stats maybe, but getting those was always fairly closely tied to the single-player experience anyway.

Take away the single-player components of Soul Calibur, and there's pretty much no unique draw to it. The PS2-era Soul Caliburs were unparallelled in single-player content for a fighting game, though, and still no other series really matches it.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Feb 4, 2015

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hannibal Smith posted:

Prepare to get annoyed if you ever play Unity, because there's a handler in that game who only refers to you as "pisspot". And he refers to you a lot.

Well, there goes any chance of me buying Unity. Thanks!

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Nuebot posted:

This is where it comes down to the specific franchises. Soul Calibur, for example, you are 100% correct and the fact that they destroyed the single player campaigns really hurt 4 and 5. But Soul Calibur isn't exactly a super competitive or skill-based game.
Soul Calibur 3's Chronicles of the Sword mode was pretty much the best thing the franchise had ever produced :colbert:

Speaking of Soul Calibur, it bothers me that Lost Swords has you playing as regular Soul Calibur characters instead of CAWs, which would fit the storytelling better. Just have unlocking a character unlock the "Soul of X" for your character instead, and pretty much nothing else would have to change.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

U.T. Raptor posted:

Soul Calibur 3's Chronicles of the Sword mode was pretty much the best thing the franchise had ever produced :colbert:

Speaking of Soul Calibur, it bothers me that Lost Swords has you playing as regular Soul Calibur characters instead of CAWs, which would fit the storytelling better. Just have unlocking a character unlock the "Soul of X" for your character instead, and pretty much nothing else would have to change.

As awesome as it would be to give Asteroth the people's elbow, why would you want Create A Wrestlers in Soul Calibur?

Actually scratch that, There totally needs to be Create A Wrestler's in Soul Calibur if I can have Jake "The Snake" Roberts take on Lizardman!

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Feb 4, 2015

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

MrJacobs posted:

As awesome as it would be to give Asteroth the people's elbow, why would you want Create A Wrestlers in Soul Calibur?

Actually scratch that, There totally needs to be Create A Wrestler's in Soul Calibur if I can have Jake "The Snake" Roberts take on Lizardman!

I imagine he means create a warrior or something of the like, Soul Calibur 5 had a mode where you could make custom characters but they used the regular characters skill sets.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Iggy Koopa posted:

I imagine he means create a warrior or something of the like, Soul Calibur 5 had a mode where you could make custom characters but they used the regular characters skill sets.

Thank you for explaining sid, otherwise I never would have known what he meant. I mean, wrestlers??? in SOUL CALIBER???????

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

thye thing dragging down dying light is that you cant perform sick stone cold stunners on every zombie that you see, also that you can't do insanely brutal ddt;s on all the zombies that you encounter. If only it had a create your own wrestler mode..

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Well, there goes any chance of me buying Unity. Thanks!

It's not that bad, you do get to murderize him.

shock.wav
May 25, 2009

Thoughtless posted:

The thing dragging Guild Wars 2 down for me was the storyline. It's fairly interesting stuff, if a bit generic, but your character is the central hero. Then at some point this incredibly bland Mary Sue NPCs character comes in, becomes the commander of all the armies and the story switches to focusing entirely on him, and you basically do chores to help this guy you don't care about at in the slightest. He doesn't do much either since you're still the one doing all the work, but all the other NPCs praise him.

It's kind of a silly thing to be annoyed at in an MMORPG but it ruined a perfectly serviceable story.

From a few pages ago, but I couldn't agree with this more. I found myself dreading reaching level 20, 30, 40, 50 and so on because I knew I'd be forced to do another boring conversation mission.

And as far as I am aware, they are mandatory. They take over your quest log and you can't ignore them. Stop all that fun stuff you're doing, go all the way back to Divinity's Reach and have an epic conversation about going somewhere else to continue the conversation. Ugh.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GelatinSkeleton posted:

thye thing dragging down dying light is that you cant perform sick stone cold stunners on every zombie that you see, also that you can't do insanely brutal ddt;s on all the zombies that you encounter. If only it had a create your own wrestler mode..

This would genuinely improve so many games.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Every game would be made better if it gave you the ability to make your main character a mongoloid bart simpson approximation, imo.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

shock.wav posted:

From a few pages ago, but I couldn't agree with this more. I found myself dreading reaching level 20, 30, 40, 50 and so on because I knew I'd be forced to do another boring conversation mission.

And as far as I am aware, they are mandatory. They take over your quest log and you can't ignore them. Stop all that fun stuff you're doing, go all the way back to Divinity's Reach and have an epic conversation about going somewhere else to continue the conversation. Ugh.

The way the game works, it's not like there's literally anything else in your quest log, though. You really are free to ignore them all.

Apparently they had the lead writers do a lot of the ambient NPC dialogue while other writers did the actual dialogue for the personal story, and it kind of shows.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GelatinSkeleton posted:

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Every game would be made better if it gave you the ability to make your main character a mongoloid bart simpson approximation, imo.
Saints Row, bitches

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Did you ever play Oblivion?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

LoonShia posted:

Did you ever play Oblivion?

Was there a way for this to not happen in Oblivion? That would have been nice.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

kazil posted:

Was there a way for this to not happen in Oblivion? That would have been nice.

:nexus: solves that problem. Perhaps not in the way you'd like, but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

A choice between a potato-person and a twelve-year-old anime princess is no choice at all.