Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I use Tamiya Extra Thin Cement with the brush applicator, I've found it to be less of a hassle than needle applicators due to blockages.

This stuff rocks. I picked up a bottle in my FLGS a few months back, and found it so much better then the army painter plastic glue I'd been using previously. It works for polystyrene plastic (GW etc), so I'd look for confirmation that whatever Malifaux stuff is made of is compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

moths posted:

Any recommendations on achieving the purpleish skin tone you see on stuff like this (tumbnailed, maybe NWS) Kings of War figure?

I'm thinking maybe khaki with a purple wash and beige highlights? I tried starting with dark purple and working up to off-white, but my vampire guy just looks like a smurf.

You need a grey with purple mixed in. Purple + white is the wrong saturation so won't look close at all. GWs Slaanesh grey is what you want.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Cthulu Carl posted:

I think they changed the labeling, because I looked all over for a bottle the past few weeks and couldn't find any Pledge bottles with galoshes. So I ordered it from Amazon and got

Pretty sure (hoping) it's the same stuff.

Can this stuff repair clear plastic? I recall reading about using Future to repair scratches or cracks in canopies. I have a clear plastic display case with some scratches and scuffs that I'm hoping I can fix.

I can confirm that will at least work to hide scuffs, if not full on scratches. I had a scuffed transparent acrylic clock face that I laid down flat and put a thin coat over, and you could barely see it afterwards. Two coats and you'd have to be looking for it to even tell. YMMV passed on the depth of the scratches, but its worth a solid try.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

ijyt posted:

Revell Contacta Professional has never failed me.

I second this, awesome quick bonding stuff that only needs to be held for a few seconds and has the best applicator I've come across.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Deanut Pancer posted:

This stuff rocks. I picked up a bottle in my FLGS a few months back, and found it so much better then the army painter plastic glue I'd been using previously. It works for polystyrene plastic (GW etc), so I'd look for confirmation that whatever Malifaux stuff is made of is compatible.

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/82634-malifaux-plastics-glue-and-you/

They use a mix that's not 100% ABS plastic, so it ends up being much denser. It's different from GW plastics which is, as you said, extruded polystyrene; however, they feel similar enough to where I think that brand of plastic glue will work on Malifaux without a problem. Test it on the sprue they come on first though, just to be sure.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

NTRabbit posted:

I use Tamiya Extra Thin Cement with the brush applicator, I've found it to be less of a hassle than needle applicators due to blockages.

Thirding this. I've used it on both Perry Miniatures (the War of the Roses range) and GW stuff (I started putting together an Undead band for Mordheim and got some GW zombie bits off of eBay) with no problems.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

serious gaylord posted:

GWs Slaanesh grey is what you want.

Thanks, that looks like it'll be perfect!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

moths posted:

Any recommendations on achieving the purpleish skin tone you see on stuff like this (tumbnailed, maybe NWS) Kings of War figure?

I'm thinking maybe khaki with a purple wash and beige highlights? I tried starting with dark purple and working up to off-white, but my vampire guy just looks like a smurf.

Reaper's Dark Elf Skin triad.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I just got the XCOM board game. I'm a little stuck on ideas for the UFOs. The ones that come with the game. They look like this:

I want them to look like the ones in the computer game, which look like this:

For most of it, I assume just use a metallic and highlight as necessary, but I'm not sure how to recreate the effect of the force fields. My best guess is to paint it blue, add some white squiggly stripes, then drag some blue ink over it.

Will that probably do it?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What are some good places to pick up resin bases that isn't Secret Weapon Miniatures? I plan to base all of my Deadzone figures with different bases that are thematic per faction, all of which need to be modern or futuristic. 25mm beveled. Also I'm in the US.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 2, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

demota posted:

I just got the XCOM board game. I'm a little stuck on ideas for the UFOs. The ones that come with the game. They look like this:

For most of it, I assume just use a metallic and highlight as necessary, but I'm not sure how to recreate the effect of the force fields. My best guess is to paint it blue, add some white squiggly stripes, then drag some blue ink over it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

demota posted:

I don't have any suggestions, except that I will say that it's a goddamn crime that they weren't cast in translucent blue plastic. Maybe make a mold and cast some in clear blue resin?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's a nail polish that mimics that shield pretty well. The problem is that the hexagon glitter-sparkles might be hard to get to lie flat on the figure.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You could probably pull off some interesting effects with layering pearlescent inks. It's kinda like car paint. I use them for my orks because I like them and also because I'm a dumb idiot, depending who you ask.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
At that tiny of a scale, I wouldn't do anything more advanced than a gray to off-white gradient with a gloss coat.

Blckbuster
Jul 18, 2002
VZ Renegade
anyone have any experience with green stuff stencils?

https://hobbyhottips.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/green-stuff-sculpting-tutorial-using-template-stencils-for-miniature-war-gaming/

I think these people went out of business, but I had really wanted to try them. I contacted them, but no response.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Blckbuster posted:

anyone have any experience with green stuff stencils?

https://hobbyhottips.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/green-stuff-sculpting-tutorial-using-template-stencils-for-miniature-war-gaming/

I think these people went out of business, but I had really wanted to try them. I contacted them, but no response.

The term you wan to google is "press mold".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

You could probably pull off some interesting effects with layering pearlescent inks. It's kinda like car paint. I use them for my orks because I like them and also because I'm a dumb idiot, depending who you ask.

Could you post some pictures of how these come out on minis?

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
^^^Seconded. I was thinking of Alpha Legion paint scheme and wondered what pearl colour I could use, rather than going airbrush crazy.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

here's some of the more recent photos. It can be a little difficult to photograph them, because the bright light you need to get good focus on the minis also tends to show a little more glare than they do in person.

They definitely pop though. Very vibrant.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just realized these pigments are just sitting on my shelf doing nothing. Anybody want them?

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_19&products_id=48
http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_19&products_id=36

$2 each + $2 for shipping anywhere in the USA

moths
Aug 25, 2004

poo poo, I'll take both.

e: PM sent

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Painting up some of the Imperial side from Imperial Assault and all I have to say is ...gently caress. PAINTING. WHITE. BY. HAND.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Why didn't you just prime white? You prime white and ink black YOU ARE DONE, SON.

e: Seriously, Stormtroopers paint themselves why would you ever make it hard?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

moths posted:

Why didn't you just prime white? You prime white and ink black YOU ARE DONE, SON.

e: Seriously, Stormtroopers paint themselves why would you ever make it hard?

Just moved into on campus housing at a big University and having roommates and construction outside apartmwb make rattle can priming a pain in the butt. Couldn't take airbrush becuse my compressor is very very loud. Hence why I'm stuck with brush on primer and painting by hand. I would use my airbrush in a heart beat if I could

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

The Sisko posted:

Just moved into on campus housing at a big University and having roommates and construction outside apartmwb make rattle can priming a pain in the butt. Couldn't take airbrush becuse my compressor is very very loud. Hence why I'm stuck with brush on primer and painting by hand. I would use my airbrush in a heart beat if I could

Spraypaint in a nearby parking lot or an alley or similar, bring the minis in a box. That's what I did when I lived in a university dorm.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
I've got a compressor that came with a Master Airbrush G22.

I've bought a Badger Patriot model 105.

The hose I've got doesn't fit on the Badger. I think the hose size on the compressor is 1/8", with female ends on the hose. Looking through the manual that came with the badger I can't seem to find a hose size listed anywhere.

Does anyone know the size of a Badger Patriot 105's connection?

Does anyone know the proper name of whatever adapter or hose thingy I need to be looking for?

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
You probably need something like this https://www.everythingairbrush.com/...airbrushes.html (or whatever is your local preferred store)

If you haven't got one yet, it might be worth investing in a quick-release setup, so you can easily unplug your brush from the hose without de-pressurising your compressor. It would also let you switch easily between the two brushes.
Something like this https://www.everythingairbrush.com/...y-tail-kit.html for the existing hose/brush, and then this https://www.everythingairbrush.com/...-to-badger.html for the badger, and I _think_ those will then all connect together.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Crosspostin from the terrain thread:

quote:

I need help making explosions like these:

I know how to set up an armiture and how to get a cool shape... but I think I used the wrong type of foliage. The stuff is too fine and just falls apart. No amount of glue is holding it into place and I ended up throwing it all away:
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/Underbrush

Has anybody made these before? Here's a WIP I found:

I'm thinking he used either "clump" foliage or "bushes" from woodland scenics. Has anybody done this before? Which one should I use to get the desired effect?
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/Clump-Foliage
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/Bushes

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
You want clump foliage. I'm not sure what glue the tutorial you found mentions, but I've found that a really thin superglue is best for getting the base structure down. Once you get it all together on your armature, you can slather it with white glue or whatever.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Painted up some Trollblood runeshapers over the past few nights. Nothing special, just glad to be making continual progress after a big dry spell the last few months.

Need a better background than plain white I think, especially with albino dudemans.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BULBASAUR posted:

Crosspostin from the terrain thread:

Spray it with gloss varnish before you paint it. It will help seal it.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I'd really like to paint some of the LOTR orc minis up as Hobgoblins for DnD. Does anyone know a good technique for painting orange flesh?

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I painted some Skorne manz over the weekend. Really pleased with the Cyclops Shaman, he looks great in person.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I'd really like to paint some of the LOTR orc minis up as Hobgoblins for DnD. Does anyone know a good technique for painting orange flesh?

I find VGC Dwarf Flesh is really orange.

QuasarInfinity
Mar 13, 2003

I routinely spend all of my money on Warhammer models.
I painted some mans. It's amazing how taking macro pictures of thing showcases every single flaw and mistake in glaringly high detail.

Pose as a team!

Bonus WIP Earthbreaker. I will eventually be good at freehand, maybe!

Any advice, especially on basing (which you can see I am terrible at) and taking pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Also on painting.

Edit: Made images a reasonable resolution.

QuasarInfinity fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 4, 2015

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Use a basecoat of a bright orange, something similar to old GW Blazing Orange. Highlight by adding in successively higher amounts of a fleshtone paint, and shade with a mix of brown and violet washes.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
What scale should I look for (1/8, 3/16 ,etc) for styrene I-beams from 28mm miniatures terrain?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I've been using 3/8" inch H-beams for a 40K hangar. Plastruct #90548.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Ah thanks, I can never figure out scales beyond "is it as big as a Gundam?"

• Locked thread