Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

psydude posted:

poo poo pissing me off: loving security analysts that can't write rules. WHY WOULD YOU PUT A loving STRING IN A BINARY BUFFER.

Is it 'Y'? one character varchars of Y are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
No, they're enclosing entire content strings in binary buffers. I get that they're pulling a lot of these off of lovely open source rule sites, but the quality control needs to happen on their end, not mine.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm glad someone made the joke.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Well that's obviously better, but I'm pretty sure a few people here would try to take me to the gun range if I took away their Blackberry.

Wait. Is being taken to the gun range a bad thing? I'd love to get taken to the gun range, then I'd know if there was a decent gun range within reasonable driving distance.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

captkirk posted:

Wait. Is being taken to the gun range a bad thing? I'd love to get taken to the gun range, then I'd know if there was a decent gun range within reasonable driving distance.

This depends entirely upon which end of the gun range you'll be asked to stand at.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

AAB posted:

So my boss got emailed and I'll have to copy and paste this from the 4 emails I sent it in. Lovely.

Follow up,
Co-Admin who dealt with the issue from the start decided to take the reigns on replies, basically forwarding all the info I give him over IM, mentions the troubleshooting steps I mentioned over the course of the past 2 days and gets back from the user "yes, AAB did suggest them to me but I didn't try them. I didn't realize what you mentioned the other day was true, but can you change the limit and make an exception?". No, we cannot do anything about it.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Yesterday my boss called me out of the blue as soon as I sat down at my desk.

Boss: "Mogomra, this is an urgent fire you need to fix it. Your script was going too slow for an URGENT CLIENT REQUEST this morning, so I commented out a bunch of stuff having to do with one of our databases, but now it doesn't work."

Maybe don't be an idiot and remove random sections of code while expecting it to just work? :shrug:

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Mogomra posted:

Yesterday my boss called me out of the blue as soon as I sat down at my desk.

Boss: "Mogomra, this is an urgent fire you need to fix it. Your script was going too slow for an URGENT CLIENT REQUEST this morning, so I commented out a bunch of stuff having to do with one of our databases, but now it doesn't work."

Maybe don't be an idiot and remove random sections of code while expecting it to just work? :shrug:

I can't comprehend the thought process. This is not fast enough, so I'll remove parts of it. It doesn't work, so rather than undo what I did I'll yell at the guy who did it originally to fix it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

And this is where you restore the backup and say "don't make live changes to production"

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Antioch posted:

This depends entirely upon which end of the gun range you'll be asked to stand at.

The full phrase is, "Taken to the range, where [subject of frustration] can hold targets."

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

LordVorbis posted:

I can't comprehend the thought process. This is not fast enough, so I'll remove parts of it. It doesn't work, so rather than undo what I did I'll yell at the guy who did it originally to fix it.
He also said something to the effect of, "If you don't fix it quickly, I'm going to scrap it and start something else from scratch." Good thing it was really really simple to see what he hosed up.

It processes a queue, and saves the data in two places. Of course it had to be written in Node.js so there's a lot of async callbacks all over the place. He decided that the portion saving to MongoDB (only there at his request originally) was too slow so he commented it all out. Including the part that said, "OK, I'm done here. Time to move on to the next item in the queue."

C'mon dude. Get with it. He writes more Node.js stuff than me.

Anyone who works with JS knows to look out for that poo poo. :psyduck:

thelightguy posted:

And this is where you restore the backup and say "don't make live changes to production"

Haha oh my god. My boss is the KING of making live changes in production and not telling anyone. I have no idea how he got where he is.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

captkirk posted:

Antioch posted:

Precisely. They'd want me on the far end away from them.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
A guy got fired and I feel bad for him because he should not have, but on the other hand, hey look at every single one of my problems being solved.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mogomra posted:

Haha oh my god. My boss is the KING of making live changes in production and not telling anyone. I have no idea how he got where he is.

The best is this healthcare broker we do work for - set up a nice set of Development, QA, and Production Database and Web servers for them, they only ever develop on the live stuff.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Gettin real tired of hearing, "tell me why I bought a RAID unit if I have to leave a copy of the data on something else?"

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
tell them to yank a drive

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mogomra posted:

I taught my boss about version control yesterday. He is a software dev with about 20 years experience in the field.

He was still skeptical about it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

To be fair, there's a certain amount of catharsis that comes from doing a scream test while removing legacy poo poo. No, only guy who uses a program that was made obsolete 5 years ago and is somehow allotted 64GB of memory, I don't care if you "still like to use it from time to time."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I taught my boss about version control yesterday. He is a software dev with about 20 years experience in the field.

I had to drag my boss from svn to git kicking and screaming. Granted at least he USED version control, but svn tends to choke on 10+gigs of source code, where as git doesn't.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

poo poo also pissing me off: how our desktop team pushes out updates in the middle of the day.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I had to teach my boss about emacs' nxml mode.

That may not sound too weird, but he loves XML and loves emacs. Possibly in a way that will see him under police observation. Creepy insistence on using it even when I've loaned him a terminal.

I on the other hand would happily pan fry my left bollock if it meant never touching XML again, and have alias emacs='vim' in my .zshrc just to gently caress with him. And yet, I'm the one who knows how to drive his loving editor.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I'm pretty sure my boss is the reason our company pays for private repos on Github. :negative:

There's just no explaining it.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I should have amplified my previous post with how most of the time I get that question about RAID units, it is preceded or followed immediately by a roll of all their computery credentials. MCSE, Certified Apple genius, Cisco admin, Mensa membership, Church of Satan Society of Network Admins, etc et al, and how they were programming in COBOL when I was still sucking on a tit for nourishment. I've learned that the more credentials someone lashes to their opinions of how they know right what the problem is, or how incompetent the helpdesk person is, the more wrong and irrecoverably stupid that person genuinely is.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

5er posted:

I should have amplified my previous post with how most of the time I get that question about RAID units, it is preceded or followed immediately by a roll of all their computery credentials. MCSE, Certified Apple genius, Cisco admin, Mensa membership, Church of Satan Society of Network Admins, etc et al, and how they were programming in COBOL when I was still sucking on a tit for nourishment. I've learned that the more credentials someone lashes to their opinions of how they know right what the problem is, or how incompetent the helpdesk person is, the more wrong and irrecoverably stupid that person genuinely is.

This is a five-star post.

Thanks,

Tab8715
Junior System Support Midrange Analyst IV
<2-Year Degree><Cert1><Cert2><Cert3><CompletlyUnheardofCert>

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
re: signature talk, I never actually print anything except emails that say "Please consider the environment before printing this email".

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Gyshall posted:

re: signature talk, I never actually print anything except emails that say "Please consider the environment before printing this email".

I used to put a reference to RFC 1149 in mine but my work emails are required to have a block of specific text in the signature. :sigh:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

AAB posted:

lmao I have someone that doesn't understand "Thats the limit of the service, you are going way over. Please condense what you have to make it more manageable or back it up some other way." They also don't get that you can't transmit over 20GB in 30 seconds on a generic wifi data connection.

Our MD upgraded his phone to a Galaxy Note II and wanted everything ported over from his old one, a little faffing around and I'd figure I would just use my machine and copy everything over USB. It was taking a bit too long as I need to use my machine, so I took it back and used the samsung whatever transfer app and transferred about 5Gb of files... over NFC; "Yeah, you might want to leave those phones together for awhile" :lol:

psydude posted:

poo poo also pissing me off: how our desktop team pushes out updates in the middle of the day.
Yesterday there was an update for SFDC for Outlook, I didn't know it auto-updated itself but it doesn't work properly though. Que today where versions are missing features and it got brought up in a service delivery meeting which brought everything to DEFCON1. I don't have anything to quickly deploy software across the network so I had to do it by hand across 20 machines, although I quickly cobbled a batch file to silent install the updated program and managed to get around at lightning speed.

Also I've only been the teeniest bit involved but from where I overhear everyday;
"We have this system and we need extra stuff"
"Lets buy this product it can do this extra stuff"
"We bought the product but we dont use the system properly in the first place so it doesn't work properly"
"Lets build some new custom stuff to force the new product to work in the most cosmically retarded way possible which completely invalidates the point of the product"

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Super Slash posted:

Also I've only been the teeniest bit involved but from where I overhear everyday;
"We have this system and we need extra stuff"
"Lets buy this product it can do this extra stuff"
"We bought the product but we dont use the system properly in the first place so it doesn't work properly"
"Lets build some new custom stuff to force the new product to work in the most cosmically retarded way possible which completely invalidates the point of the product"

This is how all vendor software solutions work and it might be too late to convince me otherwise. We bought some tiny piece of some version control suite, and then proceeded to construct a horrible framework around it rather than just buy the framework that came with it. It is slow and cubmersome and confusing but gosh darn if we didn't "save money". I think we're thinking now about going to the vendor to get a more complete package, but if the way we got a new data warehouse is any indication, we will be gluing it on top like a hat instead of actually replacing it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Got brought in on a new project yesterday, literally can't do anything with it for probably a week now because everyone previously on the project didn't know how our network topology worked and "getting a whitelisted IP to access the third-party API" is going to take awhile longer than was originally planned because we have to pull in a bunch of network guys. Whoops!

I guess it doesn't really "piss me off" since it means I'm just going to sit and read a book until it all gets figured out, but I was actually looking forward to getting some work done.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

5er posted:

Gettin real tired of hearing, "tell me why I bought a RAID unit if I have to leave a copy of the data on something else?"

And these people always always always use RAID-5. With no hot spares, because they're expensive and isn't it a waste to just have drives sitting there.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

cstine posted:

And these people always always always use RAID-5. With no hot spares, because they're expensive and isn't it a waste to just have drives sitting there.

They usually don't even have any loving cold spares laying around either, and freak out at the manufacturer because they won't overnight a spare for free.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
This is where you guys are loving up by being honest. I just tell them the loving thing won't even turn on without a hot spare configured and that it will work at reduced capacity if the hot spare is in use and the failed drive isn't immediately replaced.

Also see my "Raw building power is very bad for servers and if at all possible it should be filtered through a UPS, which acts as a clean energy capacitor." Which I guess is technically true, from a certain point of view.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Meeting organizers who take roll after everyone who joins on a massive meeting. Every thirty seconds.

"It's going to be critical throughout the project's lifecycle that we :beep beep: hi who just joined? ... Hi Scott, you have Rick, Tim, Jim, Randy, Eugene, Jizzandthepuss, Marcy, Debbie and Mater. We were just saying that this project is going to have aggressive timelines which are going to require pulling in additional resources from other :beep beep: hi who just joined? ... oh hi John, we also have Scott, Rick, Tim, Jim, Randy, Eugene, jizzandthepuss, March, Debbie and Mater."

Can we just, can we get going.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Meeting organizers who take roll after everyone who joins on a massive meeting. Every thirty seconds.

"It's going to be critical throughout the project's lifecycle that we :beep beep: hi who just joined? ... Hi Scott, you have Rick, Tim, Jim, Randy, Eugene, Jizzandthepuss, Marcy, Debbie and Mater. We were just saying that this project is going to have aggressive timelines which are going to require pulling in additional resources from other :beep beep: hi who just joined? ... oh hi John, we also have Scott, Rick, Tim, Jim, Randy, Eugene, jizzandthepuss, March, Debbie and Mater."

Can we just, can we get going.

We have a guy who does this. He confirms that your answer registered roughly 20% of the time, so you can't actually tell if he heard you most of the time. It's maddening.

If you really need to know who's on your meeting, use GoToMeeting or Webex or something like it that shows a list.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

5er posted:

No kidding. I can't count the number of times of "I've been working IT for 10 years and I know a dead motherboard when I see it, so replace it!"
And guess what guy? We're troubleshooting now since the motherboard replacement didn't fix your issue since you didn't want to troubleshoot the first time.

5er posted:

They usually don't even have any loving cold spares laying around either, and freak out at the manufacturer because they won't overnight a spare for free.

And that reminds of me of the guy with no backup, no redudancy for a cirtical system that they rely heavily on same day shipping (at least they paid for it) and any hiccup means "Okay, I know have to request you refund our entire warranty for this." Yeah, lol, no. And even if you get it: you're only getting your last 2 months worth of it back. We're not responsible for your setup. (I know I've bitched about this before)

Do you work front-line support at a hardware vendor?

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 4, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

5er posted:

"You mean I have to MAINTAIN my stuff?"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

AAB posted:

lmao I have someone that doesn't understand "Thats the limit of the service, you are going way over. Please condense what you have to make it more manageable or back it up some other way." They also don't get that you can't transmit over 20GB in 30 seconds on a generic wifi data connection.

So my boss got emailed and I'll have to copy and paste this from the 4 emails I sent it in. Lovely.

Does the user have trouble with long division? Google can help:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=20GB+%2F+100+Mbit%2Fs

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

5er posted:

Encrypt a few files for the person.

"This is how Cryptolocker works."

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
PCI DSS compliance.

The last year of my life has been spent building this environment to host payment applications for our customers and our assessment is happening this week. So far it's going well, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to have to manage, support, maintain, or otherwise even work in this environment when we're all done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Asylum posted:

I used to put a reference to RFC 1149 in mine but my work emails are required to have a block of specific text in the signature. :sigh:
I adore this. Just added this line to my sig. I really hope someone - anyone - clicks it.

If this message appears incomplete or garbled, please refer to RFC 1149 to verify your IP MTU settings