Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
A friend of mine who is into music festivals like Coachella told me that AC/DC is playing at Coachella in 2015. Is this true? I haven't seen anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Rolling Stone just hit my email with the official announcement that AC/DC will indeed be playing at Coachella this year.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
No one in the Coachella thread seems happy about that in the least. The hell kind of music forum is this?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Anybody who complains about AC/DC of all bands headlining a festival needs their ears checked.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
'bout time I reviewed the dang album, eh? ;)

All in all, it's better than Black Ice, but the stomper-to-filler ratio is not good.

Track-by-track ranking:

Great

1. Rock or Bust - Thundering guitars, screeching Brian, but uninspired lyrics, even by their standards.
2. Rock The Blues Away - Fantastic groove!

Good

3. Play Ball - Good groove, but not as addictive as BI's better tracks.
4. Emission Control - Nice, hard song.
5. Miss Adventure - Upbeat, backing vocals reminiscent of Thunderstruck.
6. Sweet Candy - Good beat, Brian ain't bad.

Fair

7. Dogs of War - Well produced and heavy, but they've got A LOT of better songs than this, including BI's equivalent "War Machine".
8. Baptism by Fire - Speediest song on the album, but it's just so generic... (Note - aided by the Live Wire riff)

Filler

9. Got Some Rock & Roll Thunder - It's ok, I guess...but nothing special.
10. Rock The House - Sounds like an SUL reject with more power. The riff is a bit reminiscent of Led Zeppelin.
11. Hard Times - Worst song they've done since This Means War.

Production wise, everything sounds good, but that thin BI sound creeps in here & there. Also, the solos are kinda samey sounding.

Low points aside, the CD has nice packaging and is cheap too, so it's an easy buy in any case! :keke:

Also, aside from Coachella, here are the other announced tour dates. Only Europe so far.

P.S. Small Malcolm update added to the OP.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 19, 2019

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Oh, forgot to mention - Rock or Bust reuses part of the Nervous Shakedown riff.

It's not a new thing for them, though. Check out the intros for DDDDC and Shake a Leg...

Also, interesting thread over at acdcfans.net

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 6, 2019

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/acdc/status/555004911201828864

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 18, 2016

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
drat. AC/DC is getting busy

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Here's my top 15 lesser-known AC/DC songs:

Soul Stripper
Love At First Feel
Overdose
Carry Me Home
Kicked In The Teeth
Inject The Venom
Snowballed
C.O.D.
Brain Shake
Hell Or High Water
Chase The Ace
Kissin' Dynamite
Borrowed Time
Rock Your Heart Out
Money Made

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 6, 2019

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i've always been partial to what's next to the moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpyq7BK35pY

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Grammy preparation:

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 22, 2015

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
According metalsucks.net, Chris Slade's optometrist tweeted something suggesting that Chris is back in AC/DC. No clue how reliable the website is, nor why Chris Slade's optometrist would know anything about this, but hey, drummer rumors!! :v:

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Looks like Stevie's been hitting the hair dye...

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Sheen Sheen posted:

According metalsucks.net, Chris Slade's optometrist tweeted something suggesting that Chris is back in AC/DC. No clue how reliable the website is, nor why Chris Slade's optometrist would know anything about this, but hey, drummer rumors!! :v:

I would not mind this at all. Guy killed it on The Razor's Edge and the subsequent tour.

Cool Grammy pics too.

Speaking of tours, I wonder if they're coming to the U.S. either late this year or next year.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Grammy preparation:

As a kid I thought for a good while that guitars were really big, but then I found out the members of AC/DC are all like 3'7".

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Cliff is in the house...

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PauleyP/status/563471487638577154

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 18, 2016

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Charles Martel posted:

I would not mind this at all. Guy killed it on The Razor's Edge and the subsequent tour.

Agreed, he's definitely the second-best drummer they've had (sorry Simon Wright!) And he did kill it on what I feel is AC/DC's third most important album--I feel like he does up-tempo stuff even better than Phil does sometimes.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Looks like Chris Slade will be the drummer for the Grammys:

Pic taken at the Grammy charity signing.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 27, 2016

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
More pre-Grammy pics!

https://twitter.com/ACDCtwitta/status/563842893693984769
https://twitter.com/ACDC_BRASIL/status/563862371043921923

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 18, 2016

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
For those interested in a Chris Slade refresher course...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAk4OAAzZBs

...that's all you need. ;)

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 5, 2017

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Grammys start in just over 30 minutes! AC/DC confirmed as opening act!

Get ready! :xd:

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Well, the performance was good (Angus was a little slow, but Brian was on fire - Slade did good), but the camerawork was terrible. Most of the time it was on Brian, with a few overhead shots of Chris, and a few short glimpses of Angus. Tons of pans of the front row, with quite a few totally disinterested faces.

And why did the heck did LL Cool J have to talk over the opening chords?

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 9, 2015

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Billboard recaps with clips:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/events/grammys-2015/6465582/watch-acdc-rock-highway-to-hell-at-the-2015-grammys-with-chris

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Billboard posted:

Drummer Chris Slade confirmed the news yesterday (Feb. 7) via Facebook, saying, "YES the drum stool is under OLD management!" The drummer played in AC/DC between 1989 and 1994, and will now accompany the band on its upcoming 2015 tour.

Yesssss

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Another post-Grammy report.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/08/acdc-grammys-performance_n_6624490.html

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 9, 2015

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Rock or Bust sounded great, and I think Brian's voice is the best it's been in a long time. That was probably the slowest rendition of Highway to Hell I've ever heard, though.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
North American tour dates!

http://www.acdc.com/ca/news/north-american-tour-dates

Also, check out this sweet promo pic!

The band shot a video for "Rock The Blues Away" yesterday, as well:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/acdc-films-rock-the-blues-away-video-in-los-angeles/

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 5, 2017

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Stadium tour, awesome.

This seems super small scale compared to the Black Ice tour though.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

MarioTeachesWiping posted:

This seems super small scale compared to the Black Ice tour though.

We'll have to just hope for more... :-/

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Not a single appearance in Pennsylvania? I technically could swing the E. Rutherford gig 2 hours away, but hopefully they post more dates. They kicked off the Black Ice tour in my hometown FFS.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Ugh I hate Wrigley Field for concerts. So many views obstructed by beams. Still going though.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
North American tickets are on sale. I managed to snag three tickets to the East Rutherford concert. Already pumped!! :banjo:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Seventh row for Dodger Stadium. I feel like my life has been leading up to this.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
New video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyFvDbwyhF8

Angus appears to be giving approval to the new (carefully blurred out) tour stage designs...

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Possibly Chicken posted:

Powerage is an awesome album. Well every Bon Scott album is pretty good, but It's my favorite.

Down Payment Blues (off Powerage - the best album) is my favorite AC/DC song, lyrically and musically, and one of the songs that made me pick up the guitar (because I knew I could learn it). To me, that simplicity is the brilliant thing about the music.

Bon was better and all his albums are good but Brian has done pretty well filling in. Don't think I've listened much past Back in Black, maybe I will give their latest a listen

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 12, 2015

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Fly McCool posted:

Down Payment Blues (off Powerage - the best album) is my favorite AC/DC song, lyrically and musically, and one of the songs that made me pick up the guitar (because I knew I could learn it). To me, that simplicity is the brilliant thing about the music.

Down Payment Blues and Powerage are both fantastic. It's not as good an album as Highway To Hell, but it's close.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Among hardcore AC/DC fans, Powerage and Flick Of The Switch are generally considered to be their best albums, followed by Back In Black.

In fact, their creative peak has been defined as the "six-pack" of albums from 1977's Let There Be Rock to 1983's FOTS.

My personal favorite track from each of those six would be:

Bad Boy Boogie
What's Next To The Moon
Touch Too Much
Shoot To Thrill (Angus' favorite, if I haven't already mentioned that)
Snowballed
Guns For Hire

I doubt we'll get anything really cool on the "new" setlist, though. Since 1990, there are fourteen tracks that they simply refuse to not perform:

The Jack
T.N.T.
DDDDC
Let There Be Rock
Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be
Whole Lotta Rosie
Highway To Hell
Shot Down In Flames
Hells Bells
Shoot To Thrill
Back In Black
You Shook Me All Night Long
For Those About To Rock
Thunderstruck

Add in between 3 and 5 new songs, and there's pretty much no space left. On the Black Ice tour, Dog Eat Dog and High Voltage, which have seen play on other relatively recent tours, took up the remainder. They could EASILY take out The Jack, HAABPTB, and Shot Down In Flames without ANYONE, hardcore or casual, truly missing them. But alas... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
They should definitely axe The Jack, but they probably won't since it's probably been played on every single tour they've done since the beginning. Oh well, it's a good intermission song where people can run out and take a leak before they play a better song :v: