Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

pun pundit posted:

It's also pretty iconically IE to have the rogue open combat by instagibbing a mage or other back liner out of stealth. The drawback in both cases is that you now have the attention of the enemy on your rogue and you have to maneuver your less squishy characters to intercept, focus down their ranged attackers, that kind of thing.

Well, you can still do it, it's just that they can't be the character that attacks first, they must be second. That's what makes the Combat only modal thing silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Kanfy posted:

There are quite a few programs that allow you to take screenshots, but yeah, I imagine my screenie folder for this game is going to pretty sizeable as well.

Just press "print screen" :shrug:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any way to get a print volume Ala bg2 now or is that just a backer item?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

For Paladin modals,you could try is just have the Modal VFX only play in combat or something.

kujeger posted:

This really seems like the better way to do it, and could just apply to every single modal effect.
The game understands effects through how they are applied, i.e. visual effects turn on with application, so it's non-trivial to say "Oh, you have this game effect but you don't display visual effects until/unless combat starts," and all of the logic covering edge cases.

And again, Zealous March is extremely dumb/bad when it's active outside of combat.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

hangedman1984 posted:

Unless it's specifically bound to taking a screenshot, that only saves the image temporarily to your clipboard which is a pretty clunky way to handle taking screenshots to say the least.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

This might be an obvious question, but from a planning / coding standpoint how much of the disposition system was innovated in Alpha Protocol, if any? It seems like intricate tracking of dialogue in such a way is something that's pretty rare, though in AP's case there were so few characters and such small amounts of dialogue that it was more granular and specific. I don't imagine we'll get Character A calling bullshit on us for something we specifically said to Character B.

Also I have to say it felt a little weird in the beta to dispatch the cultists to no fanfare from anyone. The town is so small that killing one of its four merchants should cause some ripples, a comment from someone about how the guy was always a bit shifty, etc. But there are reasonable limits to what you can expect, I suppose

hangedman1984 posted:

Afaik that doesn't work with most (if any) games that change screen resolution - when you paste the screenshot into paint or w/e you just get a screen of solid blackness. A borderless windowed mode would get around that but you'd still only have one screenshot in memory, so you'd have to manually copy and past every shot.

So yeah, Steam or a third party screencapping program is your best bet

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

This might be an obvious question, but from a planning / coding standpoint how much of the disposition system was innovated in Alpha Protocol, if any?
All of the coding was done from scratch, but the disposition ideas go all the way back to The Black Hound.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

rope kid posted:

The game understands effects through how they are applied, i.e. visual effects turn on with application, so it's non-trivial to say "Oh, you have this game effect but you don't display visual effects until/unless combat starts," and all of the logic covering edge cases.

And again, Zealous March is extremely dumb/bad when it's active outside of combat.
Is having combat initiate on click to attack (or on the first frame of an attack animation but before damage is calculated to prevent whatever exploitative combat init issues there could be) possible? Or would that not allow the modal to go off before the swing connects anyway?

Modals generally seem fine the way they're currently implemented to me but combat-initiating attacks out of stealth being less effective than if you allow your other dudes to bumble in and alert the bad guys first (so you can then enable your rogue's modal for that big out of stealth hit) seems a little weird and encouraging of roundabout gameyness. If a rogue's modal being active for a stealth attack is unfair because they aren't exposed to the downsides of the modal, then shouldn't stealth always deactivate it?

To me it's a pretty minor thing so if changing that behavior is a huge pain that's liable to cause other systems to suddenly muck up I wouldn't bother myself, but I can imagine minmaxers feeling obligated to always initiate combat in a very specific way to get the most out of their rogue and that could add to a feeling of combat tediousness. Of course, they're going to subject themselves to insane amounts of tedium anyway, but might as well be kind if you can.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

rope kid posted:

Ahhh. Technical considerations like that makes a lot of sense, yeah.

And with regards to Zealous March, I should probably amend my statement to "and could just apply to every single modal effect that makes sense to have active outside combat".. which is pretty close to what's actually going on right now. So, uh, hurra!

(This all reminds me of the Bard's songs in IWD2, where some were always active and some were just combat-active, which let Warchant of Sith be not as hilariously powerful as it was in IWD1 -- although this did not stop me from occasionally paralyzing the last enemy and waiting until my party was completely healed).

Also: finally a Linux build to play with! It is :krad:

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Wait rope kid you are already planning out PoE 2? Do you think it'll be scaled up / same engine / scaled down / kickstarted?

This is really interesting to me - I suspect you guys will make a pretty good relative return on this given that kickstarter puts you already somewhat ahead a usual game on costs.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/4/7981193/as-pillars-of-eternity-nears-launch-dev-team-begins-work-on-sequel

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You have this goon's digital deluxe if you go kickstarter again (you guys should totally go kickstarter again even if it is only for partial funding)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Wait rope kid you are already planning out PoE 2?
Not at all. We're all focused on finishing the main game and in the early stages of the expansion.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

kujeger posted:

Ahhh. Technical considerations like that makes a lot of sense, yeah.
With most of these issues, it's not that we haven't considered ways to handle a certain undesirable aspect, but usually that there are one or more exceptions/problems where a proposed solution causes negative repercussions. If something isn't handled systemically for a broad swath of abilities, it needs to be handled with specific scripts or flags on individual items. It's obviously more work to implement those, but it also makes them more difficult to test and maintain over time. I know that's a boring/frustrating answer when the answer seems so simple, but the reality is often that the simple answer is more complicated in execution.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I've had that discussion before with my programmers.

"Can you make [Thing that sounds really complex]?"
"Oh sure, yeah. I'll have it done today or tomorrow."
"Oh, well, could you add on [Thing that sounds really simple]?"
"Oh, geeze, uh, maybe? Gimmie a week and I'll see what I can come up with."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If there are Quick Time Events I hope they're not like South Park. Those were completely unfair. [/dumb]

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If there are Quick Time Events I hope they're not like South Park. Those were completely unfair. [/dumb]

I don't think an isometric RPG will have QTEs. Also "mash A to take a poo poo" was probably a clue that it was satirical.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

rope kid posted:

Not at all. We're all focused on finishing the main game and in the early stages of the expansion.

For sure, I mean internally from a "what we do next" standpoint?

It sounds like pillars has been a rad project overall and I am definitely hungry for more (in advance... >_ >)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I hope the expansion is standalone. "In order to buy this game that I want, I have to buy two games?" is archaic at this point I think.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cicero posted:

I hope the expansion is standalone. "In order to buy this game that I want, I have to buy two games?" is archaic at this point I think.

Does it matter? Who would see Pillars of Eternity, pass on it, but then see an expansion to Pillars of Eternity and think "yep, that looks like the game for me!"

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
People who have mixed it up with Shadowrun Returns?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The Crotch posted:

People who have mixed it up with Shadowrun Returns?

That reminds me, I should look into Dragonfall one of these days. I got partway through Returns before dropping it but if Dragonfall is as superior as people say it is, I'll probably really enjoy it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Walrus Pete posted:

That reminds me, I should look into Dragonfall one of these days. I got partway through Returns before dropping it but if Dragonfall is as superior as people say it is, I'll probably really enjoy it.

Dragonfall is brilliant.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Dragonfall was probably the best KS game released last year by some margin. It's really very good

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dragonfall still has some of the flaws of the base game but it's still super god drat fun. I bailed on Dead Man's Switch part-way through but Dragonfall was a good ride to the end.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cicero posted:

I hope it's not since I love continuity in games like this. I really hope expansions are also like IE games where they just assume you have a pretty good grasp of the game and start near the level cap of the base game.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Well I'm okay with Zealous Focus (and Reckless Assault) not being combat only so you can get the bonus on first strike and I don't really care about the VFX of Zealous Focus constantly going on/off. If I didn't want to see it out of combat I could just disable the modal myself and turn it on before combat.

I also don't mind if the VFX for them is disabled. Either way for me, one of those is preferable to them being Combat Only.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 5, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The Crotch posted:

Dragonfall still has some of the flaws of the base game but it's still super god drat fun. I bailed on Dead Man's Switch part-way through but Dragonfall was a good ride to the end.

Dragonfall is brilliant and the only real serious annoyances are identified in the (currently running, get me some more stretch goals) kickstarter to make Shadowrun Hong Kong a better game.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Crotch posted:

Are the two campaigns related? Would I be missing anything if I skipped the original and simply got the Director's Cut?

Also, how long is the Dragonfall campaign? Most expansions tend to be noticeably shorter than the base game's campaign. I'm looking for something that has 50-60 hours of gameplay.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I've got Dragonfall logged on Steam as around 22 hours of gameplay, which is slightly less than Dead Man's Switch as I remember it, but it's a less linear and better designed game.

Dragonfall and DMS are not related by plot or characters. I think there was mention of then next expansion having some tie to Seattle but who even knows at this point, I'm expecting it to be more or less standalone.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Sensuki posted:

Well I'm okay with Zealous Focus (and Reckless Assault) not being combat only so you can get the bonus on first strike and I don't really care about the VFX of Zealous Focus constantly going on/off. If I didn't want to see it out of combat I could just disable the modal myself and turn it on before combat.

I also don't mind if the VFX for them is disabled. Either way for me, one of those is preferable to them being Combat Only.

I'm really happy they are in-combat only. Now maybe I'll never get that bug where my paladin can't move out of combat because he keeps playing the vfx/sounds/animation for the modal enabling.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

I've got Dragonfall logged on Steam as around 22 hours of gameplay, which is slightly less than Dead Man's Switch as I remember it, but it's a less linear and better designed game.

Dragonfall and DMS are not related by plot or characters. I think there was mention of then next expansion having some tie to Seattle but who even knows at this point, I'm expecting it to be more or less standalone.

OK, I just realized it's fifteen bucks, so 22 hours isn't bad at all.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The only thing about jumping straight into Dragonfall is that I don't believe there's a tutorial, though the first mission is pretty easy

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

drgnvale posted:

I'm really happy they are in-combat only. Now maybe I'll never get that bug where my paladin can't move out of combat because he keeps playing the vfx/sounds/animation for the modal enabling.

That bug was fixed and I believe it was related to the ability being changed to Combat only :P

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

enraged_camel posted:

OK, I just realized it's fifteen bucks, so 22 hours isn't bad at all.

I got 39 on my Dragonfall save.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
The problem with having to activate modals every combat is that when combat begins, you don't get to go, "Ooh! A fight! Time to plan a strategy." You're obligated to stop thinking about the challenge in front of you and instead go down the START COMBAT CHECKLIST. And if you don't and you lose, there's less of a feeling that you lost because of your tactics and more of a feeling you were gotcha-ed because you forgot to enable your passives.

If it's something that's beneficial for every combat ever, has no resource cost (besides one attack), and lasts indefinitely within combat then having to turn it on manually every single combat bites.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

MartianAgitator posted:

The problem with having to activate modals every combat is that when combat begins, you don't get to go, "Ooh! A fight! Time to plan a strategy." You're obligated to stop thinking about the challenge in front of you and instead go down the START COMBAT CHECKLIST. And if you don't and you lose, there's less of a feeling that you lost because of your tactics and more of a feeling you were gotcha-ed because you forgot to enable your passives.

If it's something that's beneficial for every combat ever, has no resource cost (besides one attack), and lasts indefinitely within combat then having to turn it on manually every single combat bites.

Combat-Only Modals, such as Paladin Auras, are toggle on/off, in or out of combat. You just don't get the bonus from the ability until combat starts.

Edit: Personally I don't find it all that big of a deal. It really feels like one of those "this isn't how the IE games did it" kind of complaints.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 5, 2015

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Litany Unheard posted:

Combat-Only Modals, such as Paladin Auras, are toggle on/off, in or out of combat. You just don't get the bonus from the ability until combat starts.

Edit: Personally I don't find it all that big of a deal. It really feels like one of those "this isn't how the IE games did it" kind of complaints.

Thing is, in this case, it really isn't. It essentially stops you from being able to bear you most powerful possible attack from stealth or a surprise attack again to start combat. As Sensuki said earlier, you have to let yourself get seen/attack a neutral first, so the bonus activates before you can do it. It makes no sense. Initiating combat isn't something that happens rarely.

That said, I think we're fighting a losing battle here regardless.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
Be great to hear feedback about how relevant interrupt seems these days. I saw on that dev video a while back that when characters fail and fumble there's supposed to be an audio response, does that play for humanoid enemies when you interrupt them? If so it might make interrupt seem more... tangible without checking the combat log.

I've always been interested in making an interrupt barbarian if it's viable. Interrupt processing on carnage means that if it's good at all, it should be very good for them. And it could be a nice way for a fast attacking DPS type character to have a bit of defense, in effect, since it should essentially act as a reduction in enemy attack rate.

And how about concentration? Is interrupt on the part of opponents powerful enough that dumping resolve feels inconvenient? If enemies are able to interrupt the PC well, I can see needing concentration when wielding a slower weapon, but maybe it won't be so important if I'm a fast attacker anyway.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Interrupt is currently bugged and is granting a flat integer bonus rather than a percentage of the base interrupt value of an attack.

It's pretty funny because you just get the fastest dual wielding build possible with a high Perception and just chain disable an enemy (or multiple enemies, if a Barbarian with Carnage) so they can't get a hit off. Combine that with some CC and you can mitigate much of the damage from many encounters.

I did a max int/max per Barbarian last night just for lulz. Two Weapon Style, Rizetti's Thorn (Spear) and an Enchanted Sword, no armor and I had 4000 damage more than my next character after doing two quests and clearing the Stormwall Gorge exterior. Max Intellect on Barbarians is actually super good.

I didn't find dual wielding light weapons to be very effective against the enemies in the beta because most of the damage is soaked up by DT and you can't crit very often due to the reduced accuracy across the board and changes to attack resolution, so I went with two 1H standard weapons instead.

With a non-bugged Interrupt, the build would probably be a lot less effective because enemies would actually be able to hit you back. Since interrupt relies on your attack resolution (misses negate them, grazes reduce the roll by 50%, crits increase it by 50%), I don't think interrupt on its own would be very strong or viable except on a small number of builds.

I might try modding Perception to grant +1 Accuracy and some interrupt as well, as it was blatantly obvious in past builds that +2 per point is too high.

edit: Here's my stat sheet, for reference

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
Thanks for that Sensuki, seems you tested exactly what I was thinking about. With the bugs at least, it sounds like more than I even hoped for, heh.

I thought I heard something about interrupt being shown on the character sheet - apart from working it out from the combat log or something, how do you know what your interrupt rating is? Or am I blind and I'm missing it somewhere? Concentration too. Be nice to know the actual numbers after the percentages are applied.

• Locked thread