Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I have Flash set to "ask to activate." When an applet appears, I click "Activate Adobe Flash", which brings up a dialog box that asks me if I want to activate or activate an remember. This is the way it should work.

But, on certain sites where the grey screen with "Activate Adobe Flash" in the middle appears, the dialog does not appear when I click and I am unable to load the applet. Right-clicking and telling it to activate the applet does not work, either. This occurs when the entire page is an applet. Has anyone else experienced this? And is there a fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

68k posted:

I have Flash set to "ask to activate." When an applet appears, I click "Activate Adobe Flash", which brings up a dialog box that asks me if I want to activate or activate an remember. This is the way it should work.

But, on certain sites where the grey screen with "Activate Adobe Flash" in the middle appears, the dialog does not appear when I click and I am unable to load the applet. Right-clicking and telling it to activate the applet does not work, either. This occurs when the entire page is an applet. Has anyone else experienced this? And is there a fix?

You can click in the left of the addressbar, which should show a blue Lego icon for pages with inactivated flash applets.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Here is my screen:

edit: I couldn't find what you mentioned, but I did find the settings page(s) that allows for individual settings for individual pages, which fixes the problem for now. Still seems like a GUI bug or something with the dialog not popping up properly on pages like this.

meatpath fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 1, 2015

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Yeah, when that happens I just refresh the page and the control will show up.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Anyone having problems with YouTube now that it defaults to HTML 5? Lots of the time I'll load a page and the video won't play, so I have to reload the page to sort it.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
It's probably one of your add-ons or greasemonkey scripts that do things to youtube.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone having problems with YouTube now that it defaults to HTML 5? Lots of the time I'll load a page and the video won't play, so I have to reload the page to sort it.

Do you have any Youtube-related add-ons installed? I seem to remember having that problem (or a similar one) with the Youtube Center add-on and the HTML 5 player which went away after I uninstalled it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Not sure if its cos I have an old profile, bit I had to go change an about :config setting to fix this.

Mediasource.* to true.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why is it that when Firefox marks Flash as out of date, it isn't able to update it when I click "Update Now"?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

wooger posted:

Not sure if its cos I have an old profile, bit I had to go change an about :config setting to fix this.

Mediasource.* to true.

I'll give this a go, thanks. It's hard to narrow down the causes of problems because YouTube changes on a fairly frequent basis.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hooah posted:

Why is it that when Firefox marks Flash as out of date, it isn't able to update it when I click "Update Now"?

Because it is out of date and there's no update.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

hooah posted:

Because you shouldn't trust Adobe to make an auto-updater that can actually do its job in a timely fashion, ever.
Get the latest version from here http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mr.Radar posted:

Do you have any Youtube-related add-ons installed? I seem to remember having that problem (or a similar one) with the Youtube Center add-on and the HTML 5 player which went away after I uninstalled it.

Yeah, YoutubeHD for me had the fascinating effect of starting all videos with two audio streams slightly offset from one another until they were paused.

I assume the current problems with videos sometimes eating the CPU are probably related to adblock somehow.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Geemer posted:

Because you shouldn't trust Adobe to make an auto-updater that can actually do its job in a timely fashion, ever.
Get the latest version from here http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

This version is still outdated. There currently is no up to date version.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

This version is still outdated. There currently is no up to date version.

Kafkaesque

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Latest flash beta release maybe?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Is there a 'right' way to install Firefox in a corporate environment so that way it can be automatically updated without admin rights?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

68k posted:

Kafkaesque

No, Flash is just dangerous garbage.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Merkinman posted:

Is there a 'right' way to install Firefox in a corporate environment so that way it can be automatically updated without admin rights?

Yep, here: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/3115278?hl=en

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
We already have Chrome but some prefer Firefox.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

The Merkinman posted:

Install Firefox to a location that doesn't require admin rights to write to? It installed to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Mozilla Firefox\ for me, and does update automatically.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Mozilla Updater service doesn't require admin rights (past the initial installation, anyway).

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
End user: "Bah, these updates are annoying." *turns off updates in settings*

I have people who prefer Firefox at my workplace too. I tell them we can't. It's a shame, but Mozilla has put zero effort into this, and there's no way my small IT department can pick up that slack.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

xamphear posted:

End user: "Bah, these updates are annoying." *turns off updates in settings*

I have people who prefer Firefox at my workplace too. I tell them we can't. It's a shame, but Mozilla has put zero effort into this, and there's no way my small IT department can pick up that slack.
For what it's worth my company worried about this too, but even when it became officially supported (though not installed by default), there wasn't an increase in tickets due to Firefox. It turns out that if someone cares enough to install and use Firefox, they are pretty much going to be able to handle it themselves. Our Firefox policy was first Don't-Ask-Don't-Tell (officially it was an unapproved third-party app so banned, unofficially no one cared), then officially prohibited (only officially deployed IE and Chrome allowed for security), then when people rebelled from banning it they made it officially supported (all that means is the latest ESR release is in our software installation center, it's not customized at all). There was a small number of people who used Firefox extensions to improve their job efficiency and that was a compelling enough argument to make it official.

Mozilla does have an Enterprise Working Group that works to support corporate deployments, if you have special needs (like changed options or preferences) check out the Deployment Wiki here.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Alereon posted:

Install Firefox to a location that doesn't require admin rights to write to? It installed to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Mozilla Firefox\ for me, and does update automatically.
That works fine if the user is available/competent enough to do the install, but then Firefox is only available to that person, and you can't do a wide deployment to users' accounts (without some kind of scripting nightmare). I would think if you gave the users write permission to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox auto-update would work, but I've never tried. Yes users could turn auto-update off, but hopefully there would be some other kind of inventory-management software that would catch machines that aren't current.

At my place we deploy Firefox with SCCM to the default install location, and because of a security policy that looks good on paper but is pretty dumb in practice we're not allowed to push out updates until they've gone through the proper change control process, which means we run on the old version for about a week after an update comes out. When I look before doing the deployment at the end of that week, despite the fact that our users aren't supposed to be able to write to Program Files somehow maybe 5% or so of the machines have gotten the new version somehow. You might try running the auto-update as a normal user and seeing if it just magically works like it does in our environment.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
You guys both sound like larger organizations and have more IT staff than I do. I've got myself and one other guy to handle almost 400 users and their workstations as well as all of the infrastructure. I just don't have the time to play around with any of that stuff, or to roll it out to a few people and cross my fingers that they know what they're doing.

Or maybe I'm just lazy and incompetent. Either way, Mozilla's lack of giving even a half a poo poo about enterprise environments mean that it doesn't get used here, Chrome does. With Google's provided ADM file, I was able to get it configured and pushed out to everyone's workstation in a few hours, locked down to a degree that made me comfortable.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I may have asked this 6 months ago, but I remembered about it again:

Does anyone know how to easily disable the context menu item "Search [Your engine] for '....'" when right clicking on any text?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

jeeves posted:

I may have asked this 6 months ago, but I remembered about it again:

Does anyone know how to easily disable the context menu item "Search [Your engine] for '....'" when right clicking on any text?

The add-on "Menu Editor" may help you there. My workplace used to use it on the old computer to "lock down" Firefox.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I just noticed pdf.js no longer works with 35.0.1. Is there an alternative or do I have to go back to using adobe reader?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Joined the ublock bandwagon, memory and cpu usage is significantly lower and the browser is more responsive in general. Haven't noticed any ads that have gotten through or other weird behaviour.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Freakazoid_ posted:

I just noticed pdf.js no longer works with 35.0.1. Is there an alternative or do I have to go back to using adobe reader?

How do you figure? I'm on the same version and just tried opening a PDF and saw "PDF.js" in the tab title before the PDF's title loaded.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Freakazoid_ posted:

If in not mistaken it's just built in now, you don't need the addon

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Freakazoid_ posted:

pdf.js works just fine here. Maybe something got botched during your last update?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Youtube started crashing FF 36 last night, and simply won't load videos in safe mode, even with Flash up to date. I should probably just drop back to the production version.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

Youtube started crashing FF 36 last night, and simply won't load videos in safe mode, even with Flash up to date. I should probably just drop back to the production version.

Flash has been updated 2 or 3 times the past 10 days or so - make sure you have the latest version as of today. I'm on the latest version and am getting a lot of Flash crashes, so it's quite buggy. I get crashes on both versions 35 and 37.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I grabbed the version that was current as of a few hours ago, but I'll keep an ear out for any other updates. Haven't had this much trouble with Flash since it was introduced.

Just have to weather it, I guess. Thanks.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I know Firefox 36 is beta and all but it boggles my mind YouTube videos aren't stable in 2015.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

c0burn posted:

I know Firefox 36 is beta and all but it boggles my mind YouTube videos aren't stable in 2015.

I'm using the release version of Firefox (35.0.1) and ever since the YT HTML5 switchover, video playback has been downright terrible (not that it was great before, mind you). The best extension I've found for fixing YouTube playback in Firefox is this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/open-in-chrome/ I've given up on video playback in Firefox, and just right click video links to open them in Chrome instead.

The problem might be with Google, or it might be with Mozilla, or maybe it's with Microsoft, or maybe it's with AMD, or it could be with Nvidia, or my settings or extensions or codecs, but I just don't care anymore.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Interesting. I can't say I've ever had a problem with YouTube on Firefox. Well, I did once, but that was like six years ago and on Kubuntu.

Anyways, I'm still having that weird Facebook problem I detailed earlier, even with addons disabled. I'm at a loss. I suppose it could just be Facebook being terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Does anyone know what uBlock does differently than ABP? I can't find any details on how uBlock actually works.