Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So like, Netflix or something right?

not if copyright law has anything to do with it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Thought season 2 of UTOPIA was an okay watch (aside from 2.1 which was pretty great), but it almost went out of the way to make it clear the show has no balls. Don't think a single dead character stayed dead, no matter how ridiculous the circumstances.

But I'm probably more tolerant of such a weak season than others because I don't think the first season was all it's cracked up to be either. There were a huge problems with momentum after the first episode where you're expecting events and characters to synch up long before they do, and the show just drags its feat compared to the breakneck pace it started with. That season absolutely peaked with the first episode, so I guess that's another similarity the two seasons had.

Still would have watched a third one, although I'm far more excited to see what Fincher and HBO do with the concepts now.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Re: the HBO remake of Utopia -

Fincher directing all of it
Gillian Flynn writing all of it.

Fincher doesn't want to run the show or touch any of it, just wants to direct the episodes. Gillian Flynn has no experience in television and is expected to showrun and write the whole thing.

I'll be surprised if the thing doesn't poo poo itself but it has too much money and big names behind it to not at least exist in some capacity, but I've heard no news of anyone being brought on to help Flynn to run the show.

Maybe it's just me but unless the HBO adaptation is also like the ~6 episode standard as other British shows are, this has a chance to go horribly wrong. North American television's sad attempt at marketing solo auteurs can promptly die for all I care.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What does it mean to just direct the episodes? I really doubt a control freak like Fincher will just do whatever is on the page.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Also, Fincher is the one who brought in Flynn. You don't hand-pick a writer if your investment is purely on the visual side, even if the idea is that he trusts Flynn to go where he needs to go.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

What does it mean to just direct the episodes? I really doubt a control freak like Fincher will just do whatever is on the page.
I highly doubt he'll have anything to do with the actual writing or running of the show.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
e: never mind, misread something

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PriorMarcus posted:

Yes. The Englishness of a massive government conspiracy and an engineered superflu discovered by a handful of comic book geeks who are pursued by a lone assassin.

Or, did you mean the Englishness of a school shooting?

It's got about as much Englishness in it as any other show that seems like it wanted to be an American show.

Geeze. Get defensive about it why don't you. I'm loving English, i know English poo poo when i see it.
America doesn't hold a patent on government conspiracies, or assassins.

Obviously i mean the Englishness of the writing, characters and the actors, location for that matter too plays a part.
I don't care how good Fincher is. When this comes out it will be totally different, it will have it's own charms, but it won't have the things that make this version so good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Light it badly, get some terrible sets, touch a few kids. it's not hard to make an English TV show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not defending english tv, i loathe most of it. But when they get one right, it's usually outstanding.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
The biggest thing the Fincher Utopia will be lacking isn't the all-important Englishness, it's the colour. I'm not sure David Fincher even knows cameras can capture red, orange, purple, or green. The original Utopia had this awesome vibrant colour palette unlike any other live-action show I've seen. I don't expect Fincher to change his entire style just to match the original though.

Also whoever said Season 2 was already a remake of season 1 was spot on. And from the way it ended, season 3 was just going to be yet another rehash with a slight shuffling around of characters. Still wasn't bad to watch, but kinda disappointing considering how ambitious and generally well-made the series is.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I didn't see a thread, so I'll ask here. Is anyone else watching Man Seeking Woman on FXX? I saw a preview during The Americans tonight on FX and thought I'd get a sitcom-style show and...have seen 15 minutes of horror movie parodies where Josh is set up with a new girl, then is chased by family members and tortured by his mom who's seeking information on the new girl.

Is the entire series this way/meant to be this way? The first few minutes were funny, but it's getting stale fast. I'll just stop now if it is. Jay Baruchel's character wasn't funny at all in Goon (only place I'm aware of seeing him), but this wouldn't be his fault.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I didn't see a thread, so I'll ask here. Is anyone else watching Man Seeking Woman on FXX? I saw a preview during The Americans tonight on FX and thought I'd get a sitcom-style show and...have seen 15 minutes of horror movie parodies where Josh is set up with a new girl, then is chased by family members and tortured by his mom who's seeking information on the new girl.

Is the entire series this way/meant to be this way? The first few minutes were funny, but it's getting stale fast. I'll just stop now if it is. Jay Baruchel's character wasn't funny at all in Goon (only place I'm aware of seeing him), but this wouldn't be his fault.

Man Seeking Woman isn't really a sitcom, more of a sketch comedy show with a single theme that takes the bad parts of dating and cranks them up to 11 with crazy dream sequences.

I will admit that the basic premise could go into SNL levels of driving one joke into the ground, but so far they've managed to keep the jokes flowing.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 5, 2015

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

CBJSprague24 posted:

Well in the first episode he goes on a blind date with a literal troll, and the one after that is a war-room parody of him thinking of the right text to send to a new girl (which I think is the best episode so far). Both of these scenarios take up most of the episode so if that doesn't sound funny the show probably isn't for you. I actually think Jay Baruchel is kind of annoying and Eric Andre is much funnier but I still like the show so far.

It's also kind of filling the Wilfred shaped hole in my television viewing/heart.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rocksicles posted:

Obviously i mean the Englishness of the writing, characters and the actors, location for that matter too plays a part.
I don't care how good Fincher is. When this comes out it will be totally different, it will have it's own charms, but it won't have the things that make this version so good.

Like House of Cards, I suppose.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw a commercial last night for a new show USA is going to air over the summer. It's about a rogue doctor who breaks the rules to help his patients which is somehow supposed to be completely different from the new show from last summer, which was about a rogue doctor who breaks the rules to help his patients.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Just watched episode 1 of Utopia. Very excited to see where the show goes, but sad to see it was cancelled.

PS - Thanks for turning me on to a new British show JUST after I finished Black Mirror yesterday. Any other shows that capture the moods that Utopia and Black Mirror set?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aphrodite posted:

Light it badly, get some terrible sets, touch a few kids. it's not hard to make an English TV show.

We're also getting really good at the same handful of actors showing up in every show now that everything set in the US is shot in Vancouver.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fallon's doing good work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MftOONlDQac

I mean it's not terribly funny but it's interesting that he was able to get everyone (except Screech for obvious reasons)

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 5, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Looking over cnn's list of what's new on netflix this month and saw this: "Richie Rich" Season 1 (2015 Netflix original)

:catstare:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

Looking over cnn's list of what's new on netflix this month and saw this: "Richie Rich" Season 1 (2015 Netflix original)

:catstare:

It's part of Netflix's "make a show for every genre ever" strategy. According to this Deadline piece it's basically a live-action Nick/Disney channel style live action teen sitcom. And they're actually changing the premise up a little bit, instead of the show being about a trust fund kid, Ritchie's actually a self-made millionaire this time around.

*shrugs* I mean, it's for the kids and it's gonna be a bit poo poo, but there are worse premises for shows out there. Netflix could have made "Cat With A Tumblr".

Actually, I'd probably watch Cat With A Tumblr. Once. And then never again.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

lelandjs posted:

It's part of Netflix's "make a show for every genre ever" strategy. According to this Deadline piece it's basically a live-action Nick/Disney channel style live action teen sitcom. And they're actually changing the premise up a little bit, instead of the show being about a trust fund kid, Ritchie's actually a self-made millionaire this time around.

*shrugs* I mean, it's for the kids and it's gonna be a bit poo poo, but there are worse premises for shows out there. Netflix could have made "Cat With A Tumblr".

Actually, I'd probably watch Cat With A Tumblr. Once. And then never again.

I'd love it if it's actually decent quality, or at least attempts to be, and has a different formula, tone, etc than all those interchangeable Disney & Nik shitcoms that I've had to suffer through.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

zoux posted:

Fallon's doing good work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MftOONlDQac

I mean it's not terribly funny but it's interesting that he was able to get everyone (except Screech for obvious reasons)

Dang they've all kept in very good shape.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mario Lopez hasn't aged a day.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mu Zeta posted:

Dang they've all kept in very good shape.

Well, except Belding.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zorglorfian posted:

Just watched episode 1 of Utopia. Very excited to see where the show goes, but sad to see it was cancelled.

PS - Thanks for turning me on to a new British show JUST after I finished Black Mirror yesterday. Any other shows that capture the moods that Utopia and Black Mirror set?

Misfits

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
A Richie Rich show? Would'e preferred a new version of Blank Check instead.

Also having watch both episodes of Fresh off the Boat, not nearly as bad as I expected.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Come and watch our comedy about semi-incest that makes jokes about it.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/02/adam-brody-tv-show-billy-billie.html?mid=twitter_vulture

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

sbaldrick posted:

Come and watch our comedy about semi-incest that makes jokes about it.

Arrested Development?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

NBC has renewed Law & Order: SVU, The Blacklist, Chicago Fire and PD, and Grimm.

Constantine is still not technically cancelled.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Mario Lopez hasn't aged a day.

He's always looked 30.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hollylolly posted:

NBC has renewed Law & Order: SVU, The Blacklist, Chicago Fire and PD, and Grimm.

Constantine is still not technically cancelled.

Ha! When Grimm came out Grantland put it as the most likely to be cancelled show. Now it's got what six seasons?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

less laughter posted:

Arrested Development?

A little more active then Arrested Development.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

zoux posted:

Ha! When Grimm came out Grantland put it as the most likely to be cancelled show. Now it's got what six seasons?

The next season will be #5 :)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hollylolly posted:

The next season will be #5 :)

Still, not bad for a Friday genre show.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm amazed SVU is still going. Are they just running out Mariska's contract?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thwomp posted:

I'm amazed SVU is still going. Are they just running out Mariska's contract?

Both her and Ice-T's contracts are up after this season, so they have some negotiations to do.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

zoux posted:

Still, not bad for a Friday genre show.

Good, I like Grimm. It isn't a particularly good show or anything, I just like it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cactus posted:

Good, I like Grimm. It isn't a particularly good show or anything, I just like it.

Lost Girl is in its 6th season and Stargate is currently in its bazillionth. The moral of the story is that if you can make a nerd show cheap enough, regardless of quality, it will never get cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah I know. Isn't the world a fantastic place :allears:

• Locked thread