Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Modest Mouse have a new album coming out. It's called Strangers to Ourselves and it comes out March 17. Nobody likes it or even wants to hear it, and I guess it took so long to come out because Kanye is autotuning Isaac Brock and he said that nobody should ever listen to Lonesome Crowded West again, which was the source of some major controversy. Oh, and their longtime bassist, Eric Judy, left the band.

There are three singles from the album so far:

Lampshades on Fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztdoHfbTRsk - Literally the worst song they've ever recorded.

Coyotes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW5Or7bIVJk - Literally the worst song they've ever recorded.

The Best Room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmw8lVXHIms - Literally the worst song they've ever recorded.

This thread is to discuss how this is the worst album ever released and the only good thing Modest Mouse even made was Sad Sappy Sucker.

Edit: They added another song. It's the worst, it's so bad, and nobody likes it. It's called "The Ground Walks." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBTtPt8-WAY

Edit 2: They released another song. It is even more the worst than the others, which are also the worst, and it is called "Of Course We Know." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGsf8IYP5WI

Edit 3: I guess it leaked or something? It's not March 17 and people are discussing it.

Edit 4: There's going to be another album soon, according to Isaac Brock.

Edit 5: The album was released. It is, as predicted, the worst, and it is only going to sell like 5 copies.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

im going to marry isaac brock

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Fail

EDIT: to clarify, Modest Mouse, is the fail.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Budget Prefuse posted:

im going to marry isaac brock
Wow, haha, talk about a sad sappy sucker.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i only listened to lampshades on fire and it sounds like a modest mouse song whats the problem exactly with it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

starbarry clock posted:

i only listened to lampshades on fire and it sounds like a modest mouse song whats the problem exactly with it
I don't know, but I can tell you this: they really jumped the shark with their nautically-themed album We Jumped The Shark.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

starbarry clock posted:

I think it could have used one more refrain of "where we'll make the same mistakes"/"this one's done, so where to now?" personally. Feels like it ended too soon.

But yeah, the whole band-ain't-what-it-used-to-be refrain has been going on for a straight decade by now. This time I actually get to live it! Exciting times.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The more I think about it, the more depressing it is to me that the same band that put out Lonesome Crowded West, The Moon & Antarctica, Long Drive and Building Nothing Out Of Something is putting out boring poo poo that I don't feel connected to in any way now :smith:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The more I think about it, the more depressing it is to me that the same band that put out Lonesome Crowded West, The Moon & Antarctica, Long Drive and Building Nothing Out Of Something is putting out boring poo poo that I don't feel connected to in any way now :smith:
I would rather a band go in a direction I'm not interested in than release the same album again and again and just stagnate.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
But that's the thing, these songs just make me think Modest Mouse trying to write Good News era Modest Mouse again. As a whole, they lack the energy that made the first 3 albums (Long Drive, Lonesome Crowded, Moon and Antartica) so interesting and fun to listen to

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

But that's the thing, these songs just make me think Modest Mouse trying to write Good News era Modest Mouse again. As a whole, they lack the energy that made the first 3 albums (Long Drive, Lonesome Crowded, Moon and Antartica) so interesting and fun to listen to

The Moon & Antarctica was great in the moment but I don't want to hear another album like it again. Half the album consisted of songs that were either played twice over or interminable instrumental sections. The prog stuff in Lonesome Crowded West bored me, too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Prog stuff like what, Trucker's Atlas?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Prog stuff like what, Trucker's Atlas?

The 7-minute drum section does jump to mind, yes. Also the latter halves of Trailer Trash, Doin' the Cockroach, Polar Opposites, etc. It's like, you've got the actual song, then the song's over, and then it's time to hear electric guitars being played with angry cats for picks for the next several minutes.

I love all their music, but that's one aspect of it I don't miss.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 4, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That's some of my favorite stuff of theirs v:shobon:v

I used to love watching live performances of theirs from like 2001 and earlier when they'd go into extended improv jams on Cowboy Dan and Doin' The Cockroach and the like. Got me excited because I never knew exactly what I was gonna hear but I knew it would probably be rad.

I'd be totally cool with them doing an album with more stuff like that (but obviously different material that doesn't sound like a bunch of stuff they've already done), but they seem to have abandoned that concept more or less.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Oxxidation posted:

I think it could have used one more refrain of "where we'll make the same mistakes"/"this one's done, so where to now?" personally. Feels like it ended too soon.

But yeah, the whole band-ain't-what-it-used-to-be refrain has been going on for a straight decade by now. This time I actually get to live it! Exciting times.

That's because that's the last time they released something

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

Oxxidation posted:

The 7-minute drum section does jump to mind, yes. Also the latter halves of Trailer Trash, Doin' the Cockroach, Polar Opposites, etc. It's like, you've got the actual song, then the song's over, and then it's time to hear electric guitars being played with angry cats for picks for the next several minutes.

I love all their music, but that's one aspect of it I don't miss.

The wild guitar freakouts at the end of drat near every song were one of the best parts of Lonesome Crowded West era Modest Mouse. Trucker's Atlas is probably at least 5 minutes too long, but those other songs are goddamn classics.

What disappoints me about these last couple songs off the new album is that I actually really liked No One's First and You're Next. It didn't sound like old Modest Mouse, sure, but it sounded good in a unique way. This stuff just sounds, well, dull.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Foppery posted:

The wild guitar freakouts at the end of drat near every song were one of the best parts of Lonesome Crowded West era Modest Mouse. Trucker's Atlas is probably at least 5 minutes too long, but those other songs are goddamn classics.
Long Drive, Arcade Fire's Funeral, and Talking Heads' More Songs About Buildings and Food all have the same instrumental breakdowns at the end of songs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This furthers my theory that Win Butler's terrible haircut is to disguise the fact that he is what Isaac Brock turns back into when he sobers up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's a joke. There is no explanation for Win Butler's haircut.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Foppery posted:

What disappoints me about these last couple songs off the new album is that I actually really liked No One's First and You're Next. It didn't sound like old Modest Mouse, sure, but it sounded good in a unique way. This stuff just sounds, well, dull.

I liked No One's First quite a bit as well, I felt like it had more...teeth (I guess?) than We Were Dead Before the etc, and on that note I like the new songs better than We Were Dead for similar reasons, though that said they definitely aren't the most interesting stuff they've ever done.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Best Room is really starting to grow on me. Especially when Brock audibly says "westren.'

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Best Room is really starting to grow on me. Especially when Brock audibly says "westren.'
Really? The more I try to give it a chance, the more I never want to hear it again :smith:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Really? The more I try to give it a chance, the more I never want to hear it again :smith:
I like listening to Isaac Brock shout about things.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like listening to Isaac Brock shout about things.
Well so do I, but....I don't know, I guess I liked that a lot more when he was actually semi-coherent? Now he sounds like a crazy homeless dude ranting or something, but it doesn't have nearly the same appeal to me as, say, MC Ride from Death Grips who sometimes sounds like a crazy homeless dude ranting but in an awesome way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Well so do I, but....I don't know, I guess I liked that a lot more when he was actually semi-coherent? Now he sounds like a crazy homeless dude ranting or something, but it doesn't have nearly the same appeal to me as, say, MC Ride from Death Grips who sometimes sounds like a crazy homeless dude ranting but in an awesome way.

This is the most coherent MM's ever been, which is practically a point against it. The Moon & Antarctica and Lonesome Crowded West were schizophasic rants against vague existential dread; these last three songs are all explicitly about how mankind's apathy and complacency is slowly killing off itself and everything around it.

I'd like something a little more fast-paced soon, though. Something along the lines of Florida or The View or Different City. Coyotes was a straight-up crooner and the other two tracks released so far have just kind of chugged along.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oxxidation posted:

This is the most coherent MM's ever been, which is practically a point against it. The Moon & Antarctica and Lonesome Crowded West were schizophasic rants against vague existential dread; these last three songs are all explicitly about how mankind's apathy and complacency is slowly killing off itself and everything around it.
I don't know if it's his present vocal delivery or what, but it just sounds like a jumbled mess to me. To be honest, I haven't paid a lot of attention to what he's saying in the lyrics to these songs so far, probably because the way he's delivering them doesn't sell me and make me want to memorize every word he's saying like with some of their older songs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I don't know if it's his present vocal delivery or what, but it just sounds like a jumbled mess to me. To be honest, I haven't paid a lot of attention to what he's saying in the lyrics to these songs so far, probably because the way he's delivering them doesn't sell me and make me want to memorize every word he's saying like with some of their older songs.

I don't know what else to tell you, man. You like their older stuff better and that's fine, no one can argue it and their early days were definitely a lot bolder than everything after Good News, but you're just being deliberately obtuse with your reactions to what's coming out now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oxxidation posted:

but you're just being deliberately obtuse with your reactions to what's coming out now.
It's being obtuse to state that the band has changed their sound in a pretty drastic way over the years, and as a result, their new material isn't enjoyable to me in any way because I feel like they've regressed from the instant classic poo poo they used to put out for years?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

It's being obtuse to state that the band has changed their sound in a pretty drastic way over the years, and as a result, their new material isn't enjoyable to me in any way because I feel like they've regressed from the instant classic poo poo they used to put out for years?

When you're outright saying that you're not even listening very closely to the stuff that bothers you so much and just keep giving vague non-committal reasons to why it is a bad thing and not a good? Yeah, little bit!

Unless you prefer rending your garments and crying woe to actually finding music and other things you enjoy - and who am I kidding, that's an Internet pastime anyway - there doesn't seem to be much of a point behind any of it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm annoyed that the album is like 15 tracks again, because Modest Mouse always put about 4 too many songs on their albums.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oxxidation posted:

When you're outright saying that you're not even listening very closely to the stuff that bothers you so much and just keep giving vague non-committal reasons to why it is a bad thing and not a good? Yeah, little bit!

Unless you prefer rending your garments and crying woe to actually finding music and other things you enjoy - and who am I kidding, that's an Internet pastime anyway - there doesn't seem to be much of a point behind any of it.
Well I didn't want to give the impression that I didn't listen to the song at all and just wrote it off. I listened to it at least 3 or 4 times. I desperately want new Modest Mouse material to be good. There's just nothing there that makes me enjoy it. I haven't memorized the lyrics to the song because I just don't like the song that much in every other way. If Isaac's vocal delivery/the instrumentation really grabbed me, of course I'd make it a point to learn every word by heart. But alas...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey talking poo poo about a pretty sunset.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rageaholic Monkey talking poo poo about a pretty sunset.
Blanketing opinions that I'll never regret ever

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Gah, I need to actually listen to all the new tracks so I can legit argue with all you old fucks who hate new stuff. So far I listened to Lampshades on Fire once and half of Coyote and I though they were both pretty good, but I don't have a solid handle on either yet. I just know I love No One's First and hope that this is more like that.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Im glad this thread got me listening to their old EP's again. So good.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
The Best Room is really good and I like it a lot and I am looking forward to hearing the album

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

hughesta posted:

The Best Room is really good and I like it a lot and I am looking forward to hearing the album

This has to be a troll. It's the worst song released yet. "Upstairs neighbor had a bunch of lawnmowers.."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

This has to be a troll. It's the worst song released yet. "Upstairs neighbor had a bunch of lawnmowers.."

That's a good line. As sung, I mean. Yours is wrong, and bad.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
You're as mediocre as the music you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

You're as mediocre as the music you like.

Says the former Flaming Lips fan.

• Locked thread