Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Sh4 posted:

The G302 is supposed to have really durable switches, my G502 right click is already hosed after around 100 hours of dota which is kind of disappointing

PM me please. I would like to get your mouse to my engineering team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

To be fair to Razer's build quality, pretty much every gamer mouse these days is going to break down after a year or two

I have no idea how you or other gamers are using their mice, but I have never had a mouse break within 2 years. I've had a couple where after something like 6 years it wore down enough to result in the "phantom double click" issue, but I find that to be well within acceptable limits, not to mention it's not a terribly hard thing to fix myself anyway.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
My MX518 is getting a little scroungey and I find mywpself wishing I had bought multiples of them so I could replace it.

What's the equivalent Logitech model to it these days?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I thought my MX performance mouse was breaking but I opened it up and there was a bunch of cat hair under the scroll wheel...

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

GokieKS posted:

I have no idea how you or other gamers are using their mice, but I have never had a mouse break within 2 years. I've had a couple where after something like 6 years it wore down enough to result in the "phantom double click" issue, but I find that to be well within acceptable limits, not to mention it's not a terribly hard thing to fix myself anyway.

Obviously it's a crapshoot, some people get it crazy fast (saw someone who had to return one after about a month of use) and some people may not see if for the life of their mouse. But it's a pretty common problem regardless. I've only had it happen to one mouse I've owned, which was a Kana v1 that lasted around 2 years.

Regardless, having a 3 year warranty on your mouse is pretty nice in case anything does happen to break.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Party Plane Jones posted:

My MX518 is getting a little scroungey and I find mywpself wishing I had bought multiples of them so I could replace it.

The G400 was the same shape as the MX518, as was the G400S. They've now got the G402 which is different but there are probably still G400Ses being sold if you want more of the same thing (with a slightly higher dpi sensor). The G400S has kind of ugly tron-paint but I don't spend a lot of time looking at my mouse.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

I upgraded to a G502 and while the shape is very slightly different, I love it.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

What's everyone's thoughts on mouse bungees? I've just been taping my cord to the base of my monitor for years but on a whim bought a cheap bungee from Hong Kong and it finally showed up today. I haven't gamed with it yet but my initial impression that it's not significantly better over just tape which is of course essentially free. Anyone else use one or alternatively think they're hilariously stupid and a waste of money?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I use some CableDrops for cable management of way too many cables on my desk* and one of them is on my monitor stand for my keyboard/mouse cables, and it works fine - I don't feel a need to have the cable raised any more.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Trisk posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on mouse bungees? I've just been taping my cord to the base of my monitor for years but on a whim bought a cheap bungee from Hong Kong and it finally showed up today. I haven't gamed with it yet but my initial impression that it's not significantly better over just tape which is of course essentially free. Anyone else use one or alternatively think they're hilariously stupid and a waste of money?

Getting the cable out of the way is pretty important, so whatever works best for you and your setup. I like my cable raised personally. Really hate non-braided cables too.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
I just tape it to the side of my monitor. Don't see any reason to buy a bungee.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

GokieKS posted:

I use some CableDrops for cable management of way too many cables on my desk* and one of them is on my monitor stand for my keyboard/mouse cables, and it works fine - I don't feel a need to have the cable raised any more.

Those seem kind of useful for certain purposes except they don't actually pinch the cable and keep it stationary kind of defeating the purpose for mice. You would want to keep it retained so it doesn't slide behind your desk and cause tension when you move your mouse "down" (towards you on your surface).

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Trisk posted:

Those seem kind of useful for certain purposes except they don't actually pinch the cable and keep it stationary

Sure they do, you just have to put multiple cables into it. The one I use for my mouse also holds the keyboard cable, and it definitely is kept stationary.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Goo posted:

I have to ask this: can we get a new G9x but with an un-accelerated optical sensor? The buttons on the G500s don't look as convenient. I miss the G9x :(

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Skuto posted:

I have to ask this: can we get a new G9x but with an un-accelerated optical sensor? The buttons on the G500s don't look as convenient. I miss the G9x :(

I am not permitted to discuss future product plans.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
It was not a request for information, just a simply plea :)

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hey y'all, what's the best gaming mouse for <$60 right now? I don't need a lot of extra buttons, but corded would be nice since with my setup I sometimes get interference with wireless mice. If it's closer to $40, even better. I mostly play FPS.

e: I have a big hand so a bigger mouse would be nice, I get hand cramps on smaller mice.

black.lion fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 4, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Naos 7000 and Avior 7000 will occasionally go on sale, and sometimes pops up on Massdrop for $40. Naos is a pretty big mouse, very good overall as long as your hand fits it. Unfortunately, full price it tends to run in the range of $60-70.

You could check out the Steelseries Rival as well, it's around $50 usually. Pretty large, my big handed friend loves his.

You can also check out the Logitech G402, I can't really say if that will be big enough for you or not though. As usual, try visiting a Best Buy or whatever local place you have, see if they have any out on display for your to try. Has a 2 year warranty too.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Skuto posted:

It was not a request for information, just a simply plea :)

I am required to respond to requests/pleas/comments/suggestions with that statement :/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Goo posted:

I am required to respond to requests/pleas/comments/suggestions with that statement :/

Understandable, no response might be taken as an implicit confirmation that "something is happening".

Unrelated, today I got myself a G602. I had originally bought a DeathAdder 2013 hoping to get a larger mouse that better fit my hand, but it didn't work for me at all. The G602 is a huge departure for me: First time (since 2004 or so) I get a wireless mouse for a desktop, first time buying a mouse with a large number of buttons, and first time buying an ergonomic-shape-ish mouse.

So far I really like it. A major reason I've stayed away from mice with a large number of buttons, especially thumb buttons, is that I have a tendency to squeeze and I've previously accidentally pressed thumb buttons on other mice. The thumb rest here helps avoid that problem well, along with the somewhat raised buttons, but still makes them available.
The wheel stepping is sufficiently distinct without being clicky or giving too much resistance, and the wheel button clicks well. I was also considering a Logitech Performance MX, which I tried at a colleague's workstation today, but didn't like the wheel too much on, particularly not the click action which felt almost squishy. (But that might be from wear, not sure?)

The software seems okay. I still think the "loads of black and massive clickable product images" style of UI is silly, but it doesn't feel too heavy here, and the defaults were sensible. (Unlike the defaults I've seen on Logitech SetPoint many years ago, which often seemed to be hostile to just having a regular 3rd mouse button, trying to force all kinds of weird "menu" feature onto it.)
One thing that keeps confusing me is how several clickable icons continuously glow/pulse. To me that indicates "you should really click this now", but actually I shouldn't since that just changes some modes around, but they keep glowing after that. I'd categorize those as mystery-meat navigation. More plainly labelled buttons and less vague, glowy icons, please.

Finally, thank you for not putting giant, backlit logos on the mouse itself. I don't want my mouse to attract attention.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Goo posted:

Hey Goo, is Logitech going to have a bluetooth mouse with multiple thumb buttons out by summer? Please reply with "I am not permitted to discuss future product plans." if it's happening, thanks.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Goo posted:

Sure, you can send me the plat upgrade anytime

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There's always e-mails and IMs, guys.

So I'm looking for an inexpensive or cheap-ish mouse with at least two side buttons to replace my Logitech Revolution MX (eventually, it still works I'm just tired of the scroll wheel switching between free wheeling and click wheeling ruining my games and sometimes my desktop use experience). I'm looking for a cheaper version of this mouse possibly. Almost every inexpensive mouse I've seen expects you to be a 14 year old gamer or an office worker, and I don't see much in between that's capable of giving me enough buttons for both games and being a power user (I do like to setup some extra mouse buttons like for desktop switching). Suggestions?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

There's always e-mails and IMs, guys.

So I'm looking for an inexpensive or cheap-ish mouse with at least two side buttons to replace my Logitech Revolution MX (eventually, it still works I'm just tired of the scroll wheel switching between free wheeling and click wheeling ruining my games and sometimes my desktop use experience). I'm looking for a cheaper version of this mouse possibly. Almost every inexpensive mouse I've seen expects you to be a 14 year old gamer or an office worker, and I don't see much in between that's capable of giving me enough buttons for both games and being a power user (I do like to setup some extra mouse buttons like for desktop switching). Suggestions?

This is the best cheap mouse I've used http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/comfort-mouse-4500 it's not marketed as a gaming mouse but it's more durable and have a better sensor than most gimmick gaming mouses on the market. I've had this model for a few years and while I bought many "higher end" mouses I always came back to this one, I've put mine to thousands of Dota hours and it still clicks great. For extra buttons you only get 2 side buttons (back/next) but that's enough for me, also the scrolling is amazing.

edit: don't be fooled by the pictures, it's about the size of a G502

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Sh4 posted:

Sure, you can send me the plat upgrade anytime

You can find me on reddit as /u/LogitechG_Chris

duckfarts posted:

Hey Goo, is Logitech going to have a bluetooth mouse with multiple thumb buttons out by summer? Please reply with "I am not permitted to discuss future product plans." if it's happening, thanks.

I am not per... HEY YOU CAN'T TRICK ME.

Goo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 5, 2015

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Goo posted:

You can find me on reddit as /u/LogitechG_Chris

yeah, I don't go to that site also I'm not sure what you want really, mouse will be warranty exchanged so unless there's any reason for me to pm you on external sites to talk about super secret stuff the best I can do is put a note saying "LOGITECH MLG CHRIS ASKED FOR THIS PIECE OF poo poo MOUSE FOR HIS ENGINEERS BUDDIES"

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Sh4 posted:

This is the best cheap mouse I've used http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/comfort-mouse-4500 it's not marketed as a gaming mouse but it's more durable and have a better sensor than most gimmick gaming mouses on the market. I've had this model for a few years and while I bought many "higher end" mouses I always came back to this one, I've put mine to thousands of Dota hours and it still clicks great. For extra buttons you only get 2 side buttons (back/next) but that's enough for me, also the scrolling is amazing.

edit: don't be fooled by the pictures, it's about the size of a G502

I picked up a pink one of these for like six dollars at a discount store and it's pretty decent, except for the part where it didn't get recognized in Windows 7 (driver issue I guess, it got ironed out) and more importantly the scroll wheel. The scroll wheel is just a ring of plastic around a static "wheel" so if you're used to a clicky one it can be really offputting. The mouse overall feels solid though so it definitely is worth trying out if you can get one cheap.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Sh4 posted:

yeah, I don't go to that site also I'm not sure what you want really, mouse will be warranty exchanged so unless there's any reason for me to pm you on external sites to talk about super secret stuff the best I can do is put a note saying "LOGITECH MLG CHRIS ASKED FOR THIS PIECE OF poo poo MOUSE FOR HIS ENGINEERS BUDDIES"

Okay, sorry. Was just trying to ensure it made it to our office for analysis because really we don't want to ship products that fail and I'd like to give them a specific product that failed.

Valithan
Mar 2, 2003
Does anyone have any experience with the Roccat Kone XTD? I currently have a Corsair M95 but want something bigger; I've realized that my grip has changed quite a bit since upgrading to the M95 from my Intellimouse and would like to go back to being able to palm grip comfortably. I've been eyeing the Roccat Kone XTD and the Mionix NAOS 7000 since they're both fairly large and seem to have decent reviews. My only concern with going with Mionix is that I've heard their RMA process is pretty terrible if anything should go wrong with your mouse.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

GokieKS posted:

Think this'll work well for the G402 cord? I play CSGO at a low DPI and whip my hand back and forth quite a bit. I always have to adjust the cord a lot of the time because of the weight moving the mouse when my hand's not on it.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I don't use a low very DPI and so I don't move it that far. But if you attach it at a far enough distance it should be fine.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
We got a handful of G700s mice at work and I really like them. I've been on the fence about replacing my legacy Logitech mice with a wireless solution since I hate all that is wireless, but they do feel great and I really like the button layout. The 500s is wired, but it looks very similiar to my 500, which is still perfectly functional, so that's a harder sell.

Another mouse I was looking at was the Steelseries rival. I'd like to try out a 'longer' mouse, but the side buttons make me nervous. Those 'inset' buttons always seem to have felt mushy to me and as such, I've avoided them in the past. Anyone have experience with that particular mouse and have strong opinions?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

We got a handful of G700s mice at work and I really like them. I've been on the fence about replacing my legacy Logitech mice with a wireless solution since I hate all that is wireless, but they do feel great and I really like the button layout. The 500s is wired, but it looks very similiar to my 500, which is still perfectly functional, so that's a harder sell.

Another mouse I was looking at was the Steelseries rival. I'd like to try out a 'longer' mouse, but the side buttons make me nervous. Those 'inset' buttons always seem to have felt mushy to me and as such, I've avoided them in the past. Anyone have experience with that particular mouse and have strong opinions?

I'm not a fan of steelseries - their software sucks and their quality control isn't as strong as logitech. I also think the G502/602/402 mice have a better shape, but that's a more personal choice.

Valithan
Mar 2, 2003

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

A friend of mine just bought a Rival about two months ago; I've used it and actually like it quite a bit. It doesn't have many buttons/extra features but the sensor on it feels really natural and the shape is fantastic if you have larger hands/palm grip. The side buttons didn't feel particularly mushy to me and at least for my hand I felt like they were placed quite well. Granted, he's only had it for two months, but he still swears by it and hasn't had any reliability/quality issues with it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So I looked back a few pages and Googled around, but couldn't get a solid answer-- does Logitech and Razer and all the major mice companies roll out new models each year, or how often does that happen? I want to know if taking the plunge on a Proteus Core now is a cost-effective idea, because if there's a new line of mice in April or something I really can just wait and look for a deal.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 9, 2015

Nuja
Jan 29, 2006
Can someone help me find a great gaming mouse for a decently sized hand? I mainly use my palm, but on occasion will go for a claw grip. I'm really not trying to go over $30-40. I've been looking at possibly picking one of these up.

I barely play any competitive first person shooters, with the occasional single player FPS, if that matters at all. I just want a decent budget mouse for my new computer. Is there a go to brand for these specifications?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

So I looked back a few pages and Googled around, but couldn't get a solid answer-- does Logitech and Razer and all the major mice companies roll out new models each year, or how often does that happen? I want to know if taking the plunge on a Proteus Core now is a cost-effective idea, because if there's a new line of mice in April or something I really can just wait and look for a deal.
The G502 is a relatively new mouse and I can't imagine them releasing a replacement anytime soon.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

The G502 is a relatively new mouse and I can't imagine them releasing a replacement anytime soon.
It came out April 2014, a year after the G500s in April 2013, and it's getting close to April again.

That said, I have decoded a hidden message in Goo's posts itt to the effect that a G9x refresh is literally weeks from release. It has a freescroll that "feels right" in both modes for everyone and the toggle is on top of the mouse, easily accessible but out of the way. Also it cleans your mousepad as you use it and costs $29. Really neat stuff, apparently.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kaschei posted:

It came out April 2014, a year after the G500s in April 2013, and it's getting close to April again.

See, this is exactly what I figured Logitech and other mice manufacturers do, but I haven't been able to find any product announcements or release date trends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

kaschei posted:

That said, I have decoded a hidden message in Goo's posts itt to the effect that a G9x refresh is literally weeks from release. It has a freescroll that "feels right" in both modes for everyone and the toggle is on top of the mouse, easily accessible but out of the way. Also it cleans your mousepad as you use it and costs $29. Really neat stuff, apparently.

You forgot the feature that it will automatically morph into a left-handed mouse for people who are left-handed. (I'm not left-handed.)