Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rear end Catchcum posted:

Lol go take a nap in your autumn bed
Um, excuse me, it was quite clear that they would not be sleeping in their autumn beds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Epi Lepi posted:

Good, No One's First is the dopest poo poo, way better than We Were Dead.
Exactly half of No One's First is the dopest poo poo: Guilty Cocker Spaniels, The Whale Song, King Rat and I've Got It All (Most), and 2 of those were b-sides from a while ago. The other half of that EP is disposable garbage.

And that's how I feel about the new songs, too: disposable. Where some of their older material is some of the music that has resonated with me the most in my life, I can't bring myself to feel connected to these new songs. There's just nothing there to keep me coming back.

Knucklebear posted:

I feel similarly about those albums but I still really enjoy their new stuff. They're evolving as a band, when you think about it they kind of had to. Isaac Brock was self destructive during those early years and if something didn't happen then he wasn't going to be around. Is the new stuff less edgy and raw, sure. But, it also has some interesting nuance and twists.
Well yeah, he used to do a ton of drugs, and arguably their music was way better when he did, but you're right: if he hadn't quit, he might be really bad off by now or maybe even dead.

But I don't feel as though this is an evolution of the band in any way. Actually, it feels more like they're devolving. I just listened to The Best Room again and it sounds like an incoherent mess. To me, they aren't getting tighter and more focused, they're all over the place and their work is sounding shoddy as a result.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Where some of their older material is some of the music that has resonated with me the most in my life

And there we go, you're suffering from the "everything was better when I was twelve" effect.

The new track started off too much like Lampshades but I liked the breakdown that started at the halfway point. I'm wondering what the studio version of "Pistol" will sound like, I heard it live six months back and it sounded weird as hell.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
No legit a lot of these songs are garbage and almost all of no ones next was junk. It's not a "better when I was young" it's a "these songs are boring and way over produced" and have no where near the amount of feeling or emotional depth coming off them. They aren't as interesting.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

interpunct posted:

On an unrelated note, Courtney Barnett announced her first full length album and the video for the first single features her as the 2013 Clown of the Year - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-nr1nNC3ds

This is fantastic and I'm simultaneously mad that no one told me about her until now & happy that someone told me about her before her concert tickets go on sale Friday :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcnIhzaDTd0

Also, count me as someone who was introduced to Modest Mouse through Good News, loved it and We Were Dead, and later learned to love their first three albums (I actually think I like their first one the most, weirdly enough? At least, I listen to it most often), but has been bored to tears by everything they've done since. It also basically just sounds like a more boring version of We Were Dead - same ingredients, but with all the spices removed.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yes. No ones next are literally we were dead b sides and everything since just sounds like we were dead b sides

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

IIRC they've been playing Lampshades on Fire in some form or another at live shows since the We Were Dead era (and same with one or two other songs I saw on the tracklist for StO, I'm pretty sure), so this album very well may be a bunch of We Were Dead B-sides.

If that's the case, though, this won't even come to close to being as good of a B-sides album as Building Nothing Out Of Something is.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Building nothing out of something is one of my top favorite releases from them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Those guitar licks in Grey Ice Water are still some of the prettiest noises I've heard.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oxxidation posted:

Those guitar licks in Grey Ice Water are still some of the prettiest noises I've heard.
Yeah for sure, and A Life Of Arctic Sounds has some of my favorite Isaac vocal delivery of all. BNOOS is one hell of an album. I think the only way they could have made it better is if they had included Edit The Sad Parts on it. That's one of my favorite MM songs and it only appears on the out of print Interstate 8 EP.

Actually they may have included it on the vinyl re-release of Long Drive too. I can't remember at the moment.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Looking like the new album might warrant a thread of its own.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Looking like the new album might warrant a thread of its own.
Done. I feel that the tone is in keeping with this thread.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REEPJp_GvAQ

"Rain or Shine" off Young Fathers' next LP, out April 7.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Real Name Grover posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REEPJp_GvAQ

"Rain or Shine" off Young Fathers' next LP, out April 7.

Dang. I like this a lot.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stelio Kontos posted:

Vinyl download code drop off time!

Foals - Antidotes
Subpop.com/download _ code
Code: mqt9wxsh6ja6

Enjoy!

Took this thanks!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The new Murder By Death just came out. Haven't had much of a chance to listen to it properly yet, but I've enjoyed what I've heard so far. Plus it came with a kick-rear end shirt thanks to Kickstarter.

https://murderbydeath.bandcamp.com/album/big-dark-love

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Stelio Kontos posted:

Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
Web.epicrecords.com/modestmouse/moonvinyl
Code: 1QSU-C8FH-PRDV-2HCZ

Enjoy!

I was going to take this but it wants a 15 digit code? :confused:

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I saw Jenny Lewis with Tuneyards and Shakey Graves in Austin this past weekend. I was just going for Jenny but, while Tuneyards were about as strange as I was expecting they were actually really good in their own way. I wasn't familiar with Shakey Graves, apparently he's somewhat of a local favorite in Austin, plays southern rock influenced music, and is for the most part a one man band.

The real treat was Jenny Lewis though, she was so good, easily one of my favorite concerts I've ever been to. She played Rilo Kiley, and Solo material all with the same level of musicality. She had a really great stage presence and I got chills when the chorus kicked in on "Better Son/Daughter".

At one point they let a bunch of extremely large balloons down, the lighting was pretty bad so I had a hard time getting pictures but I tried to get one of that. I'm not sure what they were thinking was going to happen but, the balloons almost all immediately got pushed up onto the stage which made it very crowded for the band for a brief period.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jiffypop45 posted:

I saw Jenny Lewis with Tuneyards and Shakey Graves in Austin this past weekend. I was just going for Jenny but, while Tuneyards were about as strange as I was expecting they were actually really good in their own way. I wasn't familiar with Shakey Graves, apparently he's somewhat of a local favorite in Austin, plays southern rock influenced music, and is for the most part a one man band.

The real treat was Jenny Lewis though, she was so good, easily one of my favorite concerts I've ever been to. She played Rilo Kiley, and Solo material all with the same level of musicality. She had a really great stage presence and I got chills when the chorus kicked in on "Better Son/Daughter".

At one point they let a bunch of extremely large balloons down, the lighting was pretty bad so I had a hard time getting pictures but I tried to get one of that. I'm not sure what they were thinking was going to happen but, the balloons almost all immediately got pushed up onto the stage which made it very crowded for the band for a brief period.

Tuneyards is a bit divisive in some circles, but I think she's amazing. Her energy live is absolutely intense, and anyone who's ever tried to do live looping stuff will have to admit that her sense of timing is almost superhuman.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The new Father John Misty album is fantastic. If you like the folk stuff, it's a must listen.

It makes sense to me now why J Tillman left Fleet Foxes to focus on this stuff.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I'd actually forgotten somewhat about that insane looping stuff she was doing. It was extremely impressive, I'd never seen anyone else do that in a live show. A friend of mind who did a lot of music in her undergrad said she only saw one other guy do it and he was a clarinet player.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jiffypop45 posted:

I'd actually forgotten somewhat about that insane looping stuff she was doing. It was extremely impressive, I'd never seen anyone else do that in a live show. A friend of mind who did a lot of music in her undergrad said she only saw one other guy do it and he was a clarinet player.

Andrew Bird does it as well, also with an impossible level of skill.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

T Bowl posted:

The new Father John Misty album is fantastic. If you like the folk stuff, it's a must listen.

It makes sense to me now why J Tillman left Fleet Foxes to focus on this stuff.

Seriously. I can't say this enough. I'm so god damned excited to see him in concert in March, even moreso after hearing the new album.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

I was going to take this but it wants a 15 digit code? :confused:

Did you include the "-"s?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Stelio Kontos posted:

Did you include the "-"s?

No it's a 16 letter code though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Built to Spill announced their first new album in 6 years called "Untethered Moon". It comes out in April and they're going on tour at the end of March.

Tracklist:
01 All Our Songs
02 Living Zoo
03 On the Way
04 Some Other Song
05 Never Be the Same
06 C.R.E.B.
07 Another Day
08 Horizon to Cliff
09 So
10 When I’m Blind

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Creature posted:

The new Belle & Sebastian album Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance is streaming on NPR. I've only listened to it a couple of times so far, but already like it much more than their previous album.

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/11/376089901/first-listen-belle-and-sebastian-girls-in-peacetime-want-to-dance

Just now getting around to listening to the new album, and I really love it. But I also really like Write About Love, so maybe my taste is bad

My favorite on it, Ever Had a Little Faith?, was penned before Tigermilk according to Stuart.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So the new Purity Ring album is pretty dope. Not as good as the first one, but still packed full of a bunch of awesome tunes. Begin Again is a crazy good single, too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

guppiehaus posted:

Allie X is a youngster from Canada that reminds me a lot of Haim meets CHVRCHES, which in reality, given the alternative music scene these days isn't saying much. Still, she's kind of a guilty pleasure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOKsdQm0JFo

thanks for this

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

So the new Purity Ring album is pretty dope. Not as good as the first one, but still packed full of a bunch of awesome tunes. Begin Again is a crazy good single, too.

It's like each track is at a consistent 7-8 of 10, as opposed to the peaks (Fineshrine) and valleys (Grandloves) that came with the first. It's just different enough to show progression and still be a bit more widely accessible to new audiences.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

i wasnt aware that people actually like purity ring

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Congratulations on your enlightenment, then.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I just saw Natalie Prass perform live tonight and despite not having any orchestral backing, she's still a magical Disney princess just like every publication insists she is. I'm joking, of course, but she was very good live and it was interesting to hear her songs re-interpreted for a four piece band.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 7, 2015

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Grats beck on that grammy win.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 9, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

incoherent posted:

Grats beck on that grammy win.
I think the Grammys are irrelevant as poo poo, but even I was real surprised to hear that Beck won album of the year. That's some poo poo I never thought would happen. Especially with Morning Phase, which I don't think is his best or anything.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Cool and good. posted:

i wasnt aware that people actually like purity ring
Congrats on being dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SZ0gF7Fu0M

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Especially with Morning Phase, which I don't think is his best or anything.

I agree, The award is largely irrelevant and Its a good album, but its just not memorable. He would of had one already if he wasn't up against radiohead (modern guilt is a stronger album imo).

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
So here's a YouTube of I Love You, Honeybear for the cheap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caMfvhKIgBo

My kneejerk reaction is that he's at least equaled Fear Fun. As I listened to it, I was worried we wouldn't get one heavy track like "Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings" but it came on the back end with "The Ideal Husband."

That said, I'm not sure what to make of "True Affection."

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S0ONyRctyE

New hot chip. More hot chip. Dope.

Also it has a "Every day of my life" sample i've heard somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i love you honeybear aoty