Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

psydude posted:

Yeah I used ISE 1.1 and it was the single most difficult piece of software I've ever configured. Not due to complexity, but due to incredibly unintuitive UI design.

Sounds like 1.2 isnt any different. You're good to go already. I haven't seen 1.3 yet as its only been out a couple of months and I am not yet ready to experience that pain.

When I upgraded from an early version of 1.2 to a later version, the 2 boxes both poo poo the bed. After working till about 4 in the morning fixing it with TAC which basically ended up being "gently caress it just wipe them, restore a backup and reconfigure any other bits you need to", it was all running.
Until I needed to make another change the week after, and realised I could not remember the password I set at 3am in my tiredness and frustration.

I called TAC to get the password recovery procedure. The procedure was to RMA both of the boxes.

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Last night me and also my friend found out his mom fell for one of those 'Hi, this is Microsoft and your computer has viruses. Let us fix it' thing in December. I felt bad so I said I would take a look and see if anything can be recovered.

First I plan on booting it into clonezilla and making backups of the drive, then running Hiren's BootCD (haven't used before) and seeing what it finds, saving off her word docs and then formatting the thing. Only issue is she couldn't find the rescue disks she thought she made, so I'll have to boot up the laptop and make the CD's and hope the virus's don't infect that.

Anything else I should try/do/look for?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think with those scams they aren't so much corrupting documents but they're installing keyloggers and stuff to incorporate her into botnets. You'll find a ton of malware but I don't think you'll see 'viruses' per-se.

Make backups of all of her important documents and flatten the computer.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey I got a virtual computer to boot to my WDS server that I joined to my domain controller all on an esxi whitebox that I use to learn stuff in my spare time at work. Small victories.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think with those scams they aren't so much corrupting documents but they're installing keyloggers and stuff to incorporate her into botnets. You'll find a ton of malware but I don't think you'll see 'viruses' per-se.

Make backups of all of her important documents and flatten the computer.

I figured those scams were mainly just to get CC info over the phone/install adware. Contracting a call center to setup a botnet seems a little brazen, even today.

Danith
May 20, 2006
It sounded a bit weird when my friend was telling me about it. Apparently the scammer gave her a code and said if someone calls her and doesn't provide the code they are not from them. She has been getting a bunch of calls from people who didn't provide the code and she hung up on them but I guess the last couple weeks she has gotten calls from people with the code.

Kinda want to route it through sniffer VM and see what comes up.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Danith posted:

It sounded a bit weird when my friend was telling me about it. Apparently the scammer gave her a code and said if someone calls her and doesn't provide the code they are not from them. She has been getting a bunch of calls from people who didn't provide the code and she hung up on them but I guess the last couple weeks she has gotten calls from people with the code.

Kinda want to route it through sniffer VM and see what comes up.

The code part is new. I get 3-4 of these a month. I used to have fun with them and go through it as far as I could stomach, then just say "Wait, what, i don't have that option. Where is that option on linux? Hello?" The other one that used to work is asking for a Microsoft Employee ID number. Up till a few months ago that would get an immediate hangup, where as now they give you a string of numbers, sometimes with letters.

The one I got today was a recording/computer voice saying something about many errors from my computer and to push 1 to talk to an employee. Anymore I just hangup and FCC report it. Though telling them you work in IT will get a hangup.

From as far as I have made it through them, they try to get you to put some sort of "monitoring" software and then charge your credit card for it.

It would be wise to backup everything you can, run that through a few scans while you flatten the thing. No idea how deep the install of their software goes, but why risk it.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Well I sat down with my boss today and he's told me that at the end of this month I'm being laid off, however he's making himself available as a reference. I guess that's nice and all.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Well I sat down with my boss today and he's told me that at the end of this month I'm being laid off, however he's making himself available as a reference. I guess that's nice and all.

Well, make the best of it. You have a month head start to find a new job.

You can do it!

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Well, make the best of it. You have a month head start to find a new job.

You can do it!

I'vebeen seriously considering relocating myself out of NJ and this might just be the push for me to actually do it. I've got enough saved to make it happen and a few contacts down where I've been looking. Austin has been an option for a long while and I think I've got what I need to make this happen.

Danith
May 20, 2006

Coredump posted:

Hey I got a virtual computer to boot to my WDS server that I joined to my domain controller all on an esxi whitebox that I use to learn stuff in my spare time at work. Small victories.

Your post inspired me to try this as my ESXi box has just been sitting there..

In setting up a extra drive to put the WDS images I made a mistake and instead of deleting the disk I just made, I managed to delete the main disk of my APP1 server. I suppose when I have a migraine I shouldn't try to do things :cenobite:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hey all, I'm looking to set up a small departmental ticketing system independent of corporate system. Our team does not require any integration with the existing corporate ticketing system at this time.

Features I need are
* automation (ticket creation by email at a minimum)
* rules based routing of tickets
* time-keeping (time to close, time on ticket)
* customized or flexible reporting.
* keep initial and annual costs to a minimum

Features which would be nice would be:
* integration with network monitoring (3rd party acceptable)
* network asset management integration (3rd party acceptable)
* ebonding with some clients' existing Remedy systems (long shot, I know)

So far I've identified three candidates I'm going to be testing in our lab: osTicket, Spiceworks, and SolarWinds Help Desk (already have pre-existing SolarWinds network monitoring and asset management pilot in flight for a couple clients at this time).

My other option is to go with a pre-existing corporate-wide Salesforce deployment, but I'm unfamiliar with it. Those in my team who have used it before are less than enthusiastic about it.

Can you guys/gals give me any of your experience with these?
How extensible are these via scripting or using a plugin architecture?
Any other recommendations?

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

flosofl posted:

My other option is to go with a pre-existing corporate-wide Salesforce deployment, but I'm unfamiliar with it. Those in my team who have used it before are less than enthusiastic about it.

Never worked with Salesforce. Have worked in plenty of shops with multiple disconnected ticketing systems.

Hell is other ticketing systems.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Freshdesk is free for the basic version with only three agents. Reporting isn't great on the free tier but other than that it might be worth looking into.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MagnumOpus posted:

Never worked with Salesforce. Have worked in plenty of shops with multiple disconnected ticketing systems.

Hell is other ticketing systems.

Well, we're an isolated group. Except for services like email, soft phone, etc... our systems are for all intents and purposes air-gapped from the corporate network. None of our issues or tickets will ever be seen or worked on by any other department than mine. And my department will never be handling any corporate IT tickets on their system. In fact currently, any corporate IT tickets for our group auto-escalate into our current ticketing system (Clarify run off of Citrix - so special to deal with) which is being sunset due to insane costs, it's a piece of poo poo, and the fact it really doesn't fit our needs.

I really want to avoid what's basically a CRM with IT ticketing bolted on as an afterthought. After talking with the corporate group, there's no real asset management integration and getting our monitoring system to auto-generate trouble tickets would be problematic and/or overly complicated due to afore mentioned air-gap.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sheep posted:

Freshdesk is free for the basic version with only three agents. Reporting isn't great on the free tier but other than that it might be worth looking into.

Thanks, I'll look into it. If the data's there, we can probably get the reports we want somehow, I'm sure.

To be clear when I mean inexpensive, yes free is nice (along with open source), but definitely not a requirement. I'd like to keep costs down to around 5-10K annually for about 15 Tier1/2, 5 Tier3 and 3 SME/Engineers. The department I'm in has been going gangbusters and I expect some rapid growth in the next year or so, so I'm not thinking that'll be a static cost. But something that breaks down to about $200-$400 per active ticket worker would be nice.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

flosofl posted:

Features I need are
* automation (ticket creation by email at a minimum)
* rules based routing of tickets
* time-keeping (time to close, time on ticket)
* customized or flexible reporting.
* keep initial and annual costs to a minimum

Can you guys/gals give me any of your experience with these?
How extensible are these via scripting or using a plugin architecture?
Any other recommendations?

I'm incredibly frustrated with our salesforce but honestly I'm unsure how much of that is because of our poor process design and how much is salesforce.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's all salesforce.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
We have around 60 employees accessing as many queues with OTRS. It works well, and the price is right.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

adorai posted:

We have around 60 employees accessing as many queues with OTRS. It works well, and the price is right.

Thanks, I'll add that to the list to check out.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

flosofl posted:

Well, we're an isolated group. Except for services like email, soft phone, etc... our systems are for all intents and purposes air-gapped from the corporate network. None of our issues or tickets will ever be seen or worked on by any other department than mine. And my department will never be handling any corporate IT tickets on their system. In fact currently, any corporate IT tickets for our group auto-escalate into our current ticketing system (Clarify run off of Citrix - so special to deal with) which is being sunset due to insane costs, it's a piece of poo poo, and the fact it really doesn't fit our needs.

I really want to avoid what's basically a CRM with IT ticketing bolted on as an afterthought. After talking with the corporate group, there's no real asset management integration and getting our monitoring system to auto-generate trouble tickets would be problematic and/or overly complicated due to afore mentioned air-gap.

Sounds like you're pretty insulated then and the disconnect may not be onerous. I felt obliged to flag caution because in my experience if you have a system for corp and a system for your team, often what happens is someone (you) ends up standing in for an integration point and then 1/3 of your time ends up with one foot in the corp system translating requests from there into yours.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

flosofl posted:

Thanks, I'll look into it. If the data's there, we can probably get the reports we want somehow, I'm sure.

To be clear when I mean inexpensive, yes free is nice (along with open source), but definitely not a requirement. I'd like to keep costs down to around 5-10K annually for about 15 Tier1/2, 5 Tier3 and 3 SME/Engineers. The department I'm in has been going gangbusters and I expect some rapid growth in the next year or so, so I'm not thinking that'll be a static cost. But something that breaks down to about $200-$400 per active ticket worker would be nice.

Do you run/are you licensed for Microsoft System Center? If so, System Center Service Manager can make for a pretty darn good ITSM system. It may be more than you're looking for though if all you care about are Incidents (it supports, Incident, Problem, Change, Service Request and Knowledge management). In cases where people accept it for what it is and work with the system instead of trying to make it be their old system, it works quite well. It could get expensive/complicated if you need web portals for analysts (guys working tickets), lots of automation/workflows, etc but may be worth checking out.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I have access to our campus's production SCCM instance. I don't know if that's common for a desktop guy/computer janitor to have that access. I've tried to make the most of it and learn SCCM. However, I've asked our server guys for over a YEAR to fix a permissions issue with the reporting function of SCCM. I can't make it any custom reports at the moment.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Confluence/Jira is the poo poo, son. Relatively cheap and you can run it in house too.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Coredump posted:

I have access to our campus's production SCCM instance. I don't know if that's common for a desktop guy/computer janitor to have that access. I've tried to make the most of it and learn SCCM. However, I've asked our server guys for over a YEAR to fix a permissions issue with the reporting function of SCCM. I can't make it any custom reports at the moment.

2007 or 2012? I think you need to have permissions on the database too or you may also be a Read Only Analyst.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Gyshall posted:

Confluence/Jira is the poo poo, son. Relatively cheap and you can run it in house too.

I run starter edition of both in house just for my department and love it . Jira is completely cost prohibitive if you're not sharing accounts through, I think it's $10 for ten users and $1000 for a hundred? Beats the $1200/yr "IT management" system that I gutted through

And now I have evidence when I shout "gently caress printers" from the rooftops

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zaepho posted:

Do you run/are you licensed for Microsoft System Center? If so, System Center Service Manager can make for a pretty darn good ITSM system. It may be more than you're looking for though if all you care about are Incidents (it supports, Incident, Problem, Change, Service Request and Knowledge management). In cases where people accept it for what it is and work with the system instead of trying to make it be their old system, it works quite well. It could get expensive/complicated if you need web portals for analysts (guys working tickets), lots of automation/workflows, etc but may be worth checking out.

Hey thanks for that, it never occurred to me to check with our Systems guys. I'll give them a holler and see what's up over there.

MagnumOpus posted:

Sounds like you're pretty insulated then and the disconnect may not be onerous. I felt obliged to flag caution because in my experience if you have a system for corp and a system for your team, often what happens is someone (you) ends up standing in for an integration point and then 1/3 of your time ends up with one foot in the corp system translating requests from there into yours.

Understood, and I appreciate the warning. That fear is lurking in the back of my head, but at the same time I'm trying to build this relatively new department into something we can say is premier class. Ultimately, that's going to involve sitting down with upper management and saying listen if you want to do this and do it right, we need to define and design our needs precisely and accurately.

What I want to do is show that "no, us contorting what we do and offer in order to fit a solution that doesn't necessarily solve anything for us in order to save a buck is not how to do that". Right now I've created a series of logical diagrams that are basically empty sockets (like "Network Monitoring and Event Collection" or "Ticket Handling") and all the interoperability that's required between sockets at all layers of our services. The battle I'm girding my loins for is, each one of these sockets needs a service or product that will easily (for values of easy) slot into place. Sometimes I can leverage an existing solution, but there are going to times where we need something that will specifically address our needs, not something that sort of does the same things with process contortions.

So far I'm showing that yes, I can do a lot of this without a hundreds of thousands of dollars thanks to relatively small size and the specific mission of my department, so I'm getting some tentative buy-in. I'm trying to position my group for growth, and if we get to implement the solution we need NOW when it's relatively inexpensive it will be easier to increase the budget by showing we are adding value by doing so.

It's a pain in the rear end, and definitely not something I saw myself doing even a year ago. Strangely enough, despite setbacks and political bullshit, I'm actually having fun.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Added to the list. Thatnks!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you have the money, confluence/jira is the best on the market, ATM.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

flosofl posted:

Understood, and I appreciate the warning. That fear is lurking in the back of my head, but at the same time I'm trying to build this relatively new department into something we can say is premier class. Ultimately, that's going to involve sitting down with upper management and saying listen if you want to do this and do it right, we need to define and design our needs precisely and accurately.

What I want to do is show that "no, us contorting what we do and offer in order to fit a solution that doesn't necessarily solve anything for us in order to save a buck is not how to do that". Right now I've created a series of logical diagrams that are basically empty sockets (like "Network Monitoring and Event Collection" or "Ticket Handling") and all the interoperability that's required between sockets at all layers of our services. The battle I'm girding my loins for is, each one of these sockets needs a service or product that will easily (for values of easy) slot into place. Sometimes I can leverage an existing solution, but there are going to times where we need something that will specifically address our needs, not something that sort of does the same things with process contortions.

So far I'm showing that yes, I can do a lot of this without a hundreds of thousands of dollars thanks to relatively small size and the specific mission of my department, so I'm getting some tentative buy-in. I'm trying to position my group for growth, and if we get to implement the solution we need NOW when it's relatively inexpensive it will be easier to increase the budget by showing we are adding value by doing so.

It's a pain in the rear end, and definitely not something I saw myself doing even a year ago. Strangely enough, despite setbacks and political bullshit, I'm actually having fun.

I spent 3 years doing basically this at a large non-technical company which owned a SaaS product w/ 12M users. Here's my 3 biggest lessons from that experience:

Change Management Process: Defining and maintaining one of these allowed us to consolidate our incoming work stream. Nearly everything Dev/PMO could ask of Ops can be cast as a Change of some sort. Proper management of this pipeline was the first line of defense. We heavily leveraged the concept of Standard Changes to give us a starting point for DevOps work; if it's repeatable enough to be Standard it's a likely candidate for automation.

Event Management: Necessary but useful only so far as the most visible data is the most relevant, so needs heavy customization. Here the usage-based licensing of Splunk helped motivate us toward customization; we were constantly trying to cut down the size of the incoming data streams to just what was required. In general, the need for stronger Event Monitoring is going to correlate strongly to how coupled your stack is. We had tight coupling (and frankly a difficult product to support) and so saw a lot of cascading performance issues. We appreciated the ability to draw lots of correlations during triage. All that said, simple canaries set up to notify us of critical thresholds did most of the heavy lifting in terms of catching issues before they became service interruptions.

Capacity Management: This was the secret of our success in keeping management buy-in at a big company with no technologists in the senior management to advocate for us. It was a lot of work, but getting proper metrics in order allowed us to determine the scaling bottlenecks in our stack. With those in hand you can project capacity requirements and therefore anticipate hardware needs, and also provide valuable information back to Dev that can be used to refactor code. This translates directly to the shared language Ops has with Finance: $$$. Establishing these forecasts as a "service" to Finance gave me a constant ally in arguing the necessity of new tools and systems in Ops.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sacred Cow posted:

2007 or 2012? I think you need to have permissions on the database too or you may also be a Read Only Analyst.

Its 2012. I've got two errors, the "Report Builder 2.0 is not installed as a click-once application on report server" error. And then the lack of permissions to do a select statement. However, I'm not sure how I got far enough to get the select error because the report builder error is coming up as soon as I try to create a report. Either way I've made our server guys aware of the problem back in March of 2014.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Bhodi posted:

If you have the money, confluence/jira is the best on the market, ATM.

This REALLY depends on what you're trying to do. At it's core Jira is really a system for managing software defects. That doesn't transition perfectly into IT Service Management use cases. It's a right tool for the job sort of situation in my experience.

That being said, I have used Jira at a commercial software company, we did however run all of our customer support ticketing within our CRM solution because this is what made the most sense for that use case. Jira was used on the Dev side and CRM on the Sales/Support side. I interfaced between Jira and CRM by simply adding a field to show a linkage of an incident to a defect/feature. Not a perfect solution (a better integration could have been built) but it worked quite well and was botch cost effective and operationally effective.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Roargasm posted:

I run starter edition of both in house just for my department and love it . Jira is completely cost prohibitive if you're not sharing accounts through, I think it's $10 for ten users and $1000 for a hundred? Beats the $1200/yr "IT management" system that I gutted through

Grrrr don't use pie charts.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MJBuddy posted:

Grrrr don't use pie charts.
this is a completely reasonable use of a pie chart

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone here use Peplink Balance routers in production? They seem to specialize in Multi-WAN stuff so I'm thinking a pair of Balance 580 in Active/Passive failover, so I can combine a few cable modems together and plug in a 4G hotspot for doomsday. ~$3500 each and they'll handle 400mbps total up/down. We have about 300 users mostly doing 0365 and Chrome.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Zero VGS posted:

Anyone here use Peplink Balance routers in production? They seem to specialize in Multi-WAN stuff so I'm thinking a pair of Balance 580 in Active/Passive failover, so I can combine a few cable modems together and plug in a 4G hotspot for doomsday. ~$3500 each and they'll handle 400mbps total up/down. We have about 300 users mostly doing 0365 and Chrome.

I've heard that Peplink works surprisingly well however this is just complete overkill.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Peplink stuff is really good, but the tunnel thing they hype up involves creating as many VPN links as you have connections back to a Peplink device hosted in a datacentre, and tunnelling over that. Without the tunnel to another device part of the setup you at best get a round-robin style load balancing.

For the price of what you're suggesting and still having no real SLA you can probably get a decent UTM box and a fibre circuit with cable as a backup or something.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Round-robin is totally fine by me as long as it's not like it is now, we're paying for fiber and cable and the cable modem just sits there until the fiber goes down. I want to actually use the bandwidth and have two routers so I can lose one of the two routers and one of the two ISPs and still be up.

I'm looking into maybe switching to VoIP in the future so if I can get bulletproof internet here that'd enable that and a lot of other nifty expansions like running mission-critical servers in Azure.

I had a Sophos 1U UTM of some sort at my last place, my boss paid $8000 for it plus we had to keep paying for upgrades. This seems like a one-and-done solution and I already have a pair of ASA 5515 so the threat management seems redundant.

Tab8715 posted:

I've heard that Peplink works surprisingly well however this is just complete overkill.

The next tier down for the Peplink models are like $1000 less each, but they only have 200mpps combined bandwidth handling. My single fiber would max that out and I can only imagine it won't handle it gracefully. I figure I should plan for scaling more users.

That and as far as this place is concerned, if the internet never goes down I'll never be fired.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 5, 2015

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This is probably not the right place to ask this but I am looking at a bunch of jobs that heavily utilize excel and my most recent experience was in Uni like 8 years ago. Does anyone here know of a good online refresher for the most recent iterations of excel? I'm googling as well but if y'all know one in particular that's the best I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Roargasm posted:

Is there some reason printers are so ridiculously unreliable compared to other hardware? It seems like the same issues that plagued printers when I was in grade school affect them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Eifert Posting posted:

Is there some reason printers are so ridiculously unreliable compared to other hardware? It seems like the same issues that plagued printers when I was in grade school affect them now.

Moving parts, buying cheap models, idiots using them.

Any of all of the above will probably sum it up.