Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sash! posted:

There was an ESPN cologne? Good gravy.

No, I just made that up. I do remember their phone that showed up just in time before smart phones showed up and made "content alliances" on featurephones worthless.

If I thought about it a little longer, I would have used their failed restaurant chain instead. It's flopped harder than Planet Hollywood now, since at least Planet Hollywood was able to keep going in Vegas and other tourist towns. The only ESPNZone I still know of is the one at Disneyland, where the land is owned by the parent company and the place might be shuttered for a hotel expansion at any time.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

No, I just made that up. I do remember their phone that showed up just in time before smart phones showed up and made "content alliances" on featurephones worthless.

If I thought about it a little longer, I would have used their failed restaurant chain instead. It's flopped harder than Planet Hollywood now, since at least Planet Hollywood was able to keep going in Vegas and other tourist towns. The only ESPNZone I still know of is the one at Disneyland, where the land is owned by the parent company and the place might be shuttered for a hotel expansion at any time.

One time when I was like 13 my family went to Chicago and my mother wanted to eat at Rick Bayless' restaurant, but I insisted that we eat at ESPNZone. Years later I received a Rick Bayless cookbook as a gift from my mother. Inside it was signed by Rick and had a personal message. "ESPNZone? Really?!?"

To this day I am ashamed...

edit: and this post even fits the thread since Rick is Skip's brother!

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 2, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sash! posted:

There was an ESPN cologne? Good gravy.

That was the scent, actually.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I just googled ESPN cologne and got this result: http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6947693/german-team-cologne-fined-fans-toss-urine-excrement-schalke-fans

I don't think urine and excrement is a popular fragrance.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

OctoberBlues posted:

One time when I was like 13 my family went to Chicago and my mother wanted to eat at Rick Bayless' restaurant, but I insisted that we eat at ESPNZone. Years later I received a Rick Bayless cookbook as a gift from my mother. Inside it was signed by Rick and had a personal message. "ESPNZone? Really?!?"

To this day I am ashamed...

edit: and this post even fits the thread since Rick is Skip's brother!

A good mom.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That was the scent, actually.

I laughed at this way more than I should have

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Craptacular! posted:

But I got into hockey eventually

quote:

I don't like the NFL at all because concussions

I mean watch whatever the heck you want but this is some serious congnitive dissonance.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

I mean watch whatever the heck you want but this is some serious congnitive dissonance.

Haha I totally thought the same thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I can't link on my phone, but apparently Dan Patrick executed a stone cold takedown on Colin Cowherd because Colin claimed Dan 'lets his producers do all of his work now' on his show this morning.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I can't link on my phone, but apparently Dan Patrick executed a stone cold takedown on Colin Cowherd because Colin claimed Dan 'lets his producers do all of his work now' on his show this morning.

You know about all this crap, I can at least argue that Dan Patrick's show is actually FUN to listen to.

I also enjoy Rome on occasion. He's an rear end sometimes, but at least his interviews are really well done.

Cowherd? He literally exists as some weird, worn out "shock jock". He's not even worth listening to because you know all he says is poo poo that's specifically designed to piss people off. Nothing more, Nothing Less. There's no substance beyond that.

At least with Bayless I can argue there's something behind the character. Pony Excess Bayless is the real Skip Bayless. The guy on TV talking about whether or not someone is "elite"? Just some character designed to pissed people off.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Deadspin link to Patrick RE: Cowherd

http://deadspin.com/dan-patrick-cal...dium=socialflow

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"Enjoy your show. Enjoy your life. Because it will be over one day, and nobody will care."

Holy poo poo :thurman:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DJExile posted:

"Enjoy your show. Enjoy your life. Because it will be over one day, and nobody will care."

Holy poo poo :thurman:

That's an :iceburn: ender if I've heard one. :boom:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

It's a good burn on Colin because he is one of the reason's ESPN is poo poo these days but DP is one to talk. Between him and his "Danettes" plugging SI covers ad-nauseum and "Wheel of Fish Torture" bits which make for terrible listening radio, DP talks about bad reality television more than sports it seems.

Call him Petros & Money: Morning Edition and the slipper would still fit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN won the rights to the world cup of hockey. Prepare to hear every loving game called by John Buccigross.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

CBS, probably encouraged by their share of Thursday night games, might buy into the NFL Network:

http://thebiglead.com/2015/02/03/inside-blitz-cbs-inching-closer-to-buying-part-of-nfl-network/

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

DJExile posted:

ESPN won the rights to the world cup of hockey. Prepare to hear every loving game called by John Buccigross.

Someone tell me they still have Gary Thorne and Bill Clement stashed away somewhere. I want to relive my childhood. :pray:

Or maybe it'll be another chance for Steve Levy to call stupidly long overtimes?

It'll be Buccigross and I'll probably be sick of it five minutes in

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Someone tell me they still have Gary Thorne and Bill Clement stashed away somewhere. I want to relive my childhood. :pray:

Or maybe it'll be another chance for Steve Levy stupidly long overtimes?

It'll be Buccigross and I'll probably be sick of it five minutes in

I'd love it too but Clement hasn't been with ESPN for a long time, to my knowledge. He does occasional color commentary on CSN for Flyers games. Gary Thorne is mostly baseball these days (EDIT: I think he did call the Frozen Four for a few years though). I'd love Steve Levy to get back into the booth but I don't know if that's gonna happen.

The last 2 frozen fours, I honestly felt bad for Barry Melrose because the guy was trying his damndest to cover for Bucci (who was green as hell) and it just wasn't working.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

fartknocker posted:

You mean this childhood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfOB3jzfpoU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They brought that music back this year and oh my god I had so many flashbacks :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KreqAyhD1so

E: I will say I love the song ESPN uses for the non football/basketball tournaments

DJExile fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 4, 2015

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Do they still have Barry Melrose locked up in a dungeon where they only let him out for 5 minutes a week whenever Sidney Crosby does something?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Robnoxious posted:

It's a good burn on Colin because he is one of the reason's ESPN is poo poo these days but DP is one to talk. Between him and his "Danettes" plugging SI covers ad-nauseum and "Wheel of Fish Torture" bits which make for terrible listening radio, DP talks about bad reality television more than sports it seems.

Call him Petros & Money: Morning Edition and the slipper would still fit.

I listen to Dan Patrick all the time and I don't agree with you at all. I occasionally hear them talk about the SI cover and almost never hear anything about the wheel of torture.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah, they don't have any time left over for that after they spend 2 hours bragging about being in horrible Adam Sandler movies.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

Do they still have Barry Melrose locked up in a dungeon where they only let him out for 5 minutes a week whenever Sidney Crosby does something?

lol, you think ESPN devotes even 5 minutes a week to the NHL

:smith:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Benne posted:

Believe it or not, they had him on one of about six alternate broadcasts for the college football national title game along with Jay Bilas (college hoops analyst), Aaron Boone (retired, baseball), Julie Foudy (retired, women's soccer), Mark Schlereth (retired, pro-football, rear end in a top hat), and Mike Wilbon (sportswriter, probably could not believe he was roped into this bullshit).

I don't know who wants to hear Barry Melrose talk about college football with a bunch of other ESPN leftovers, but that was a thing that happened. I never even saw a recap of how horrible it was, so it can't have been worthwhile in any way.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

MourningView posted:

Yeah, they don't have any time left over for that after they spend 2 hours bragging about being in horrible Adam Sandler movies.
Fun Fact: Dan Patrick was in one of those terrible Adam Sandler movies with Brande Roderick!

OH! Look who just called in!
Hi Brande!
So, you were on Celebrity Apprentice 'eh?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
The Harrisburg local radio station has dropped the Phillies in favor of the Washington Nationals

The station boss had this to say: “Nothing against the Phillies, but clearly the Nationals are a team on the rise. They won the NL East last year and are picked to win it again this year.Obviously [a winning team] helps in all ways, and they certainly will be a postseason contender that makes a deeper run in the playoffs this year. Unfortunately, I don’t see that in the Phillies’ immediate future."

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

The Harrisburg local radio station has dropped the Phillies in favor of the Washington Nationals

The station boss had this to say: “Nothing against the Phillies, but clearly the Nationals are a team on the rise. They won the NL East last year and are picked to win it again this year.Obviously [a winning team] helps in all ways, and they certainly will be a postseason contender that makes a deeper run in the playoffs this year. Unfortunately, I don’t see that in the Phillies’ immediate future."

This also makes a bit of sense, considering Harrisburg has the Nats' AA affiliate.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MourningView posted:

Okay, let me clarify: I dislike that the NFL invests so heavily on disputing research that suggests a link between football and poor mental health.

When you lose the moral high ground to Vince McMahon of all people, you need to reconsider how you're running your business.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Okay, let me clarify: I dislike that the NFL invests so heavily on disputing research that suggests a link between football and poor mental health.

When you lose the moral high ground to Vince McMahon of all people, you need to reconsider how you're running your business.

:lol: if you think Vince Mcmahon gives a poo poo about the health(mental or otherwise) of his "independent contractors".

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah if you think WWE cares about concussions then you haven't been paying attention

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Rece Davis is replacing Chris Fowler as host of College Gameday. I guess Fowler figured out being on-air for 6 hours every Saturday during the season was too much.

korrandark posted:

:lol: if you think Vince Mcmahon gives a poo poo about the health(mental or otherwise) of his "independent contractors".

CM Punk agrees

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

korrandark posted:

Whether he personally cares or not is irrelevant, the point is he isn't invested in obfuscating the issue with reports that are basically the sports version of global warming doubters and anti vaccination noise. It's done hoping that the media will always assume that the truth is in the middle when presented with conflicting arguments.

Which, let's be honest, they're right to be that cynical because the media does make that assumption a lot. But I get tired of seeing it exploited. WWE has given money to concussion research causes, whether you think it's self serving or not, and the NHL at least seems concerned in theory if not in execution (hey, Sid.) NFL's approach seems to be circling the wagons and trying to discredit something they don't want to acknowledge because it would affect revenue.

I'm not asking for agreement or arguments on this, I'm just expanding why I wouldn't financially support the NFL even if I didn't find the game to be a lot of standing around. I don't ask FIFA or NCAA fans how they can support their favorite sports because of controversial issues, either.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Craptacular! posted:

I don't ask FIFA or NCAA fans how they can support their favorite sports because of controversial issues, either.

Well they are not self-righteously bragging about not watching another sport with similar issues, so that doesn't seem like a reasonable comparison!

Your first post just said you didn't watch it because of "concussions" with no elaboration. If you don't know why that looks silly when you admit in the same post to watching another sport where concussions are a huge issue then I can't help you. If you don't like football that's fine.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MourningView posted:

Your first post just said you didn't watch it because of "concussions" with no elaboration.
Well, in being honored as a plague on this forum plenty of times, one thing I've learned is "SAS doesn't care about your opinions." So I'm often not one to write in detail on liking/disliking something anymore, and when discussion turns to that I deflect and try to move the conversation along. :shobon:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Rece Davis is fantastic at his job. I'd love to see the guy anchor more things honestly, but I really like the guy honestly.

Question. Why is the "NBA on TNT" crew as a whole so drat good? Even when they're doing some corny stuff, I find them to be very good.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

FuzzySkinner posted:

Question. Why is the "NBA on TNT" crew as a whole so drat good? Even when they're doing some corny stuff, I find them to be very good.

They have natural chemistry and are more or less being themselves, instead of playing caricatures and spewing #hottakes

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Benne posted:

They have natural chemistry and are more or less being themselves, instead of playing caricatures and spewing #hottakes

That and EJ's really underrated. He's great at knowing when to lead and prod them along and when they'll carry a discussion themselves. Gonna be a sad day when Charles retires though.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

That and EJ's really underrated. He's great at knowing when to lead and prod them along and when they'll carry a discussion themselves. Gonna be a sad day when Charles retires though.

It's just amazing how night and day better that whole crew is versus the ABC/ESPN crew.

Hearing Sir Charles talk during a blow out made me actually sit through the whole thing just to hear him shoot the breeze and speak his mind.

The Breen/JVG/Mark Jackson crew? Ear Bleeding bad. Their banter is just really awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I don't watch much basketball in general but I caught NBA on TNT just before or on Christmas Day and TNT had the late West game and here were 4 guys just shooting the poo poo and handing out Xmas gifts to each other and having a great old time. Shaq handed out everything he markets like Shaq Cola and Monster products, Kenny went cheap but personal like giving Ernie bowties.

Maybe because it was really late at Atlanta HQ and they were a bit nogged filling the post show for a Pacific Time Zone game that ran longer than usual (I think it went double o/t) but they were professional yet goofy at the same time.

The end was great, Sir Charles gave everyone the latest Go-Pro camera and when Ernie's turn came last he also bought everyone the exact same Go-Pro. They didn't talk about basketball for a good 30 minutes during the whole exchange and it was still entertaining as hell. Just 4 guys that enjoy each other's company and being bros.

ESPN is always business business business and lacks anything that resembles heart which the TNT crew counters in spades.