Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

V. Illych L. posted:

congratulations, you're marginally less poo poo than us at our worst, at your best

considering how insanely lovely we are at our worst, this is not something to gloat about

the best part is, even with reprivatisation and cuts and wha'evz (which is honestly a country-by-country thing), our increasingly dilapidated health services are still way better than your overpriced bullshit

at my bleakest, most hopeless moments politically, i think to myself "at least i'm not an american, if i were i might actually kill myself"

bad news: let europol be your augur and give it time

back of the napkin predictions: Europe continues to fracture under increasing political discord between member nations. for much of ez services are cut to make debt payments. one after another periphery countries continue to drop out instead of face decades of dictum from the north, rending the EU some kind of unworkable mess with many of the countries reverting to local currencies and the powerhouse rentier nations spiral into deflation and low economic growth with a too strong euro. those countries not apart of the euro are reduced to perpetual third world status, relying on agreements with chinese state enterprises to secure ports of trade. while chinese investment is generous, development is carried out primarily with foreign import labor leaving unemployment and poverty high. domestic political power becomes radicalized and countries witness a revolving door of far right and left parties leaving confidence in these countries crippled, with chinese investors increasingly selecting for local oligarchs to empower as a sign of stability.

As darkness reigns in Europe, America increasingly gets on track to solve the pressing environmental and geopolitical issues of the day, leading the Americas and developing world into prosperity. At his inauguration speech on January 20, 2033, the first transgender President of the United States points to these positive developments at home and abroad and proudly ushers in the Second American Century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I like the end of DS9.

Sisko comes back from space heaven and tells Jake goodbye and he'll be back. Avery Brooks demanded that instead of the original idea of a black man leaving his family.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

R. Mute posted:

shut up, my parents.

No pudding for you young man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

I like the end of DS9.

Sisko comes back from space heaven and tells Jake goodbye and he'll be back. Avery Brooks demanded that instead of the original idea of a black man leaving his family.

Yeah he was also mad salty about Sisko being involved in the Oceans 11 heist ep because he was like "Why would a black man be nostalgic for 1960's America, exactly?"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
D&D

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this thread needs a star trek insurrection.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i love star trek, lightsabers and cylons are cool

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

euphronius posted:

please don't get Aatrek in on a train from Pittsburgh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Lol don't act like you aren't intimately familiar with every in and out of Star Trek lore

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fishmech here I'm ...er...normal.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

euphronius posted:

Watch your mouth, or I'll F your Murray Abraham, mister.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zoux posted:

Lol don't act like you aren't intimately familiar with every in and out of Star Trek lore

nah i actually am not. never got around to really watching the series.

i think ive seen like 1/10 of the original series, 1/5 of the next generation and random episodes out of the rest.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DemeaninDemon posted:

I like the end of DS9.

I was looking through some trek book at the book store and almost got it but they had a mention of Sisko "fathering a child he will never meet" and I got mad and put the book away. Brooks was so adamant about that not being the case, but this stupid guide book just had to add that little tid bit in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

nah i actually am not. never got around to really watching the series.

i think ive seen like 1/10 of the original series, 1/5 of the next generation and random episodes out of the rest.

What's your fandom fish-kun?

Baronjutter posted:

I was looking through some trek book at the book store and almost got it but they had a mention of Sisko "fathering a child he will never meet" and I got mad and put the book away. Brooks was so adamant about that not being the case, but this stupid guide book just had to add that little tid bit in.

While Roddenberry et al. were all about living in this utopian future that they invented, Brooks was keenly aware that the show was being watched by irl people every day and that the show still had to exist in the context of the modern world. The absent black father trope was too odious for him to go along with, even though from the in universe's characters perception, that stereotype was on the ash heap of history.

While TOS is praised for being so socially aware, it was all actually boring scifi morality plays and DS9 was much more socially conscious than any other trek.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 5, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Foppery posted:

Broad City is the best show on television

from many pages ago but not incorrect

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
person of interest is p. good y'all

i cannot focus for poo poo at work these days

DemeaninDemon posted:

I like the end of DS9.

hahahaha avery brooks owns

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

zoux posted:

What's your fandom fish-kun?

The extended Nintendo catalogue, duh.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Baptists are the largest protestant denomination is the US, however, the Baptist belief in a personal relationship with God has lead to a dizzying array of factions all claiming to be the TRUE Baptists.

These factions do have a core set of beliefs however:

- There are two sacraments, which they call "ordinances".
- The first is baptism, you can only be baptized if you are old enough, and the only thing that qualifies is baptism by immersion. One individual can be baptized multiple times.
- The second is communion. Communion is symbolic for Baptists.
- Baptists also staunchly believe in the autonomy of congregations. Specific beliefs can vary greatly from congregation to congregation. Like-minded congregations can group themselves into associations, or conventions, however.

Speaking of which:

The Southern Baptist Convention is the largest of the Baptist conventions, with about 16 million members claimed. Southern Baptists are biblical literalists, believing that the Bible is without error, and everything in it is the direct inspired word of God. This anchors many of their other beliefs that cause them to diverge from other Baptists, namely that women may not teach, and that homosexuality is a grave sin. Southern Baptists also believe that salvation is only obtainable through accepting (Baptist) Jesus as Lord and Savior. Once saved, one cannot fall from grace. Everyone NOT saved burns in Hell for eternity. You can only accept Jesus by saying it out loud a whole bunch and having a personal relationship with him, so having a Pope to do all that for you doesn't count. Southern Baptists are Hardcore Conservatives and are generally terrible. They are (surprise) primarily concentrated in the south.

The northern cousin of the SBC is the American Baptist Church. They believe that the Bible is the divinely inspired word of God but maybe someone misheard once or something was lost in translation and maybe some of this is metaphorical guys. Even if you don't believe in Jesus you can be saved by embodying his spirit through how you live. Some member churches allow women to teach and gays to marry.

The National Baptist Convention is pretty much in line with the SBC on most things theologically, but tend to have better views on social issues. Still oppose gay marriage and abortion. Iffy on women preaching. The NBC accounts for about 50% of all African-Americans.

The National Baptist Convention of America broke off from the NBC in 1915 due to an argument over the publishing board. Third largest African-American denomination in the US. Pretty much the same as the NBC.

The National Missionary Baptist Convention of America spilt off from the NBCA in 1988, once again due to a publishing board fight.

You also have dozens of smaller Baptist conventions, including Primitive Baptists (secret Calvinists), Regular Baptists, Old Regular Baptists, Union Baptists (hate the Confederacy, they still exist), Two-Seed-in-the-Spirit Predestinarian Baptists, and United Baptists (hate conventions and treat the washing of feet as a sacrament).

Next up: Methodists

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Brooks owns, DS9 owns. It had more social commentary that every other trek combined.

Also what is a publishing board fight?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 5, 2015

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Sinnlos posted:

Baptists are the largest protestant denomination is the US, however, the Baptist belief in a personal relationship with God has lead to a dizzying array of factions all claiming to be the TRUE Baptists.

These factions do have a core set of beliefs however:

- There are two sacraments, which they call "ordinances".
- The first is baptism, you can only be baptized if you are old enough, and the only thing that qualifies is baptism by immersion. One individual can be baptized multiple times.
- The second is communion. Communion is symbolic for Baptists.
- Baptists also staunchly believe in the autonomy of congregations. Specific beliefs can vary greatly from congregation to congregation. Like-minded congregations can group themselves into associations, or conventions, however.

Speaking of which:

The Southern Baptist Convention is the largest of the Baptist conventions, with about 16 million members claimed. Southern Baptists are biblical literalists, believing that the Bible is without error, and everything in it is the direct inspired word of God. This anchors many of their other beliefs that cause them to diverge from other Baptists, namely that women may not teach, and that homosexuality is a grave sin. Southern Baptists also believe that salvation is only obtainable through accepting (Baptist) Jesus as Lord and Savior. Once saved, one cannot fall from grace. Everyone NOT saved burns in Hell for eternity. You can only accept Jesus by saying it out loud a whole bunch and having a personal relationship with him, so having a Pope to do all that for you doesn't count. Southern Baptists are Hardcore Conservatives and are generally terrible. They are (surprise) primarily concentrated in the south.

The northern cousin of the SBC is the American Baptist Church. They believe that the Bible is the divinely inspired word of God but maybe someone misheard once or something was lost in translation and maybe some of this is metaphorical guys. Even if you don't believe in Jesus you can be saved by embodying his spirit through how you live. Some member churches allow women to teach and gays to marry.

The National Baptist Convention is pretty much in line with the SBC on most things theologically, but tend to have better views on social issues. Still oppose gay marriage and abortion. Iffy on women preaching. The NBC accounts for about 50% of all African-Americans.

The National Baptist Convention of America broke off from the NBC in 1915 due to an argument over the publishing board. Third largest African-American denomination in the US. Pretty much the same as the NBC.

The National Missionary Baptist Convention of America spilt off from the NBCA in 1988, once again due to a publishing board fight.

You also have dozens of smaller Baptist conventions, including Primitive Baptists (secret Calvinists), Regular Baptists, Old Regular Baptists, Union Baptists (hate the Confederacy, they still exist), Two-Seed-in-the-Spirit Predestinarian Baptists, and United Baptists (hate conventions and treat the washing of feet as a sacrament).

Next up: Methodists

Miltank posted:

bloobloobloo

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Brooks owns, DS9 owns. It had more social commentary that every other trek combined.

Also what is a publishing board fight?

Who gets to publish the literature for distribution to churches, Sunday schools, ect.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Church politics are so bitter and stupid and probably the reason that Jesus was all "Uh organized church structures are bullshit yall"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
avery brooks own for answering half of shatner's questions in the captains docu with jazz piano pieces

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Sinnlos posted:

Who gets to publish the literature for distribution to churches, Sunday schools, ect.

Are these the guys who run that scammy "Christian" education system that Prester John made a thread about? (The Southern Baptists I mean)

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Sinnlos posted:

That's a pretty drat good post and it'd be a shame to see it get lost in the chat thread - do we have the help D&D Debate and Discuss thread still?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Armani posted:

That's a pretty drat good post and it'd be a shame to see it get lost in the chat thread - do we have the help D&D Debate and Discuss thread still?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3443984

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

how the hell does that thread have 110 pages

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

The best part of Star Trek: Generation Kill was when Han Sisko's voice comes out of the air just before the big showdown and says: "Use the Force, Cool-Hand Luke".

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

idgi

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

R. Mute posted:

how the hell does that thread have 110 pages

it's three and half years old

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Crain posted:

Are these the guys who run that scammy "Christian" education system that Prester John made a thread about? (The Southern Baptists I mean)

Nope. The publishing arm of the SBC is LifeWay. They put out some miserable dreck, but not as hosed up as what Prester John went through.

Armani posted:

Feel free to use my effort posts as you see fit. If you want me to cross post, point me to the thread and I'll put it up.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it's three and half years old
this still doesn't answer my question

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

actually that just raises the question how it survived that long

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

lmao travis county has one of the highest vaccine exemption rates in the state

of course.

of course

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
the OP could use an update

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Badger of Basra posted:

lmao travis county has one of the highest vaccine exemption rates in the state

of course.

of course

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

travis county = austin

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Austin.

I still don't get the miltank thing though.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Berke Negri posted:

bad news: let europol be your augur and give it time

back of the napkin predictions: Europe continues to fracture under increasing political discord between member nations. for much of ez services are cut to make debt payments. one after another periphery countries continue to drop out instead of face decades of dictum from the north, rending the EU some kind of unworkable mess with many of the countries reverting to local currencies and the powerhouse rentier nations spiral into deflation and low economic growth with a too strong euro. those countries not apart of the euro are reduced to perpetual third world status, relying on agreements with chinese state enterprises to secure ports of trade. while chinese investment is generous, development is carried out primarily with foreign import labor leaving unemployment and poverty high. domestic political power becomes radicalized and countries witness a revolving door of far right and left parties leaving confidence in these countries crippled, with chinese investors increasingly selecting for local oligarchs to empower as a sign of stability.

As darkness reigns in Europe, America increasingly gets on track to solve the pressing environmental and geopolitical issues of the day, leading the Americas and developing world into prosperity. At his inauguration speech on January 20, 2033, the first transgender President of the United States points to these positive developments at home and abroad and proudly ushers in the Second American Century.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

oh great arkane is posting in the latin america thread

• Locked thread