Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
?? They have like four really solid albums. Dunno what that meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rear end Catchcum posted:

?? They have like four really solid albums. Dunno what that meant.
Liking a band is a sacred pact. If you only used to like them, you are weak, and not true to yourself.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Liking a band is a sacred pact. If you only used to like them, you are weak, and not true to yourself.

It does make me really sad when I stop caring about a band

Weezer
Modest mouse
Built to spill
Flaming lips
Get up kids
Alkaline trio (lol)
Deathcab

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

It does make me really sad when I stop caring about a band

Weezer
Modest mouse
Built to spill
Flaming lips
Get up kids
Alkaline trio (lol)
Deathcab

most of these bands were terrible from the beginning of their careers and all of them have released a lot of really bad music and even worse, have been widely influential and caused the birth of a large number of new bands who imitate them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Earwicker posted:

most of these bands were terrible from the beginning of their careers and all of them have released a lot of really bad music and even worse, have been widely influential and caused the birth of a large number of new bands who imitate them.
Whatever, my Pokemon-themed Weezer tribute band, Koffing, are really doing some innovative things with time signatures and HM04.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Earwicker posted:

i've tried listening to the flaming lips before with their presumably good albums and every time i do this i just end up extremely annoyed by wayne coyne's stupid loving voice so i'm guessing you're right

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i don't know i mean i listened to the songs in the op and i have to say it feels like a return to form. i'm excited to read another chapter in the modest mouse story. i've been waiting for this for a while so i don't get what all the slap fighting is about.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

stay depressed posted:

i don't know i mean i listened to the songs in the op and i have to say it feels like a return to form. i'm excited to read another chapter in the modest mouse story. i've been waiting for this for a while so i don't get what all the slap fighting is about.
And trust this guy, he's the internet's busiest music nerd.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Okay everyone, I just need to get something off my chest...

*deep breath*

Clouds Taste Metallic was the last good Flaming Lips Album.

Thank you all for listening and being supportive.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Coyotes is a dope song and makes me willing to overlook the relatively tired nature of Lampshades and Best Room. Cautiously optimistic for the record.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
the best modest mouse sogns were when they were recording onto an answering machine

Hugbot
Mar 10, 2006

CRINDY posted:

Coyotes is a dope song and makes me willing to overlook the relatively tired nature of Lampshades and Best Room. Cautiously optimistic for the record.

Same.

I thought We Were Dead was a pretty decent album and the new singles feel like a natural progression... but just kind of ho-hum.

For a lot of good bands, Modest Mouse included, singles are hardly ever the best songs from albums- they're just the most marketable ones. The inverse is true for lots of bad bands that stumble into a hit, but the rest of the album is garbage. See: tons of lovely CDs I bought in the 90s.

If we get a few solid deep cut gems off the new album I'll be pleased enough.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Hugbot posted:

Same.

I thought We Were Dead was a pretty decent album and the new singles feel like a natural progression... but just kind of ho-hum.

For a lot of good bands, Modest Mouse included, singles are hardly ever the best songs from albums- they're just the most marketable ones. The inverse is true for lots of bad bands that stumble into a hit, but the rest of the album is garbage. See: tons of lovely CDs I bought in the 90s.

If we get a few solid deep cut gems off the new album I'll be pleased enough.

This whole 'deep cuts > singles' idea just seems pointlessly contrarian. Like you just want to feel like you're part of a special club for liking something a lot of other people like, but in a different way than most people. I mean Modest Mouse is a pretty easily marketable band already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEmJH7JsKgM

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thank you for the song from the Harry Potter Puppet Pals man. I am glad to have been exposed to more of his creativity.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe the Portal theme song guy can do The Stars Are Projectors next.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Thank you for the song from the Harry Potter Puppet Pals man. I am glad to have been exposed to more of his creativity.

He's a modern day polymath.

FactsAreUseless posted:

And trust this guy, he's the internet's busiest music nerd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLgarIGTAe0

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Oxxidation posted:

This is the most coherent MM's ever been, which is practically a point against it. The Moon & Antarctica and Lonesome Crowded West were schizophasic rants against vague existential dread; these last three songs are all explicitly about how mankind's apathy and complacency is slowly killing off itself and everything around it.

I'd like something a little more fast-paced soon, though. Something along the lines of Florida or The View or Different City. Coyotes was a straight-up crooner and the other two tracks released so far have just kind of chugged along.

More posts like this please.

Cowboy Dan was a pretty good song.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

This new stuff from a band that used to be really good nearly 20 years ago is a bit stale, in my opinion.

Hugbot
Mar 10, 2006

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

This whole 'deep cuts > singles' idea just seems pointlessly contrarian. Like you just want to feel like you're part of a special club for liking something a lot of other people like, but in a different way than most people.

It's not a hipster competition, and there isn't any condescension or pretension of exclusivity intended in what I wrote. Music's a personal thing, man, sometimes it's just an oddball track that really resonates.

I don't think it's contrarian to argue the merits of deep cuts, but it is trite as hell and kind of a waste of everyone's time so I'll drop it.

This is pretty great, thanks

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
ok let's just get this straight, Mouth Sounds >>>> any Modest Mouse album

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
Isaac Brock needs to start shooting up meth again imo

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
New song from the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBTtPt8-WAY

It's like a dancier Paper Thin Walls

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
supurb

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!
The newest song is pretty rad. I am pretty excited (see user name) for the new album. I thought No One's First was an extremely forgettable, bad album, even for a b-sides comp thing. This at least seems to be shaping up to be a bit better than the last couple, hopefully there is a handful of really memorable stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PushingKingston posted:

New song from the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBTtPt8-WAY

It's like a dancier Paper Thin Walls
Okay, so this is much better than every other song they've released from the album so far (weird guitar bending! that's more like the Modest Mouse I know and love!), but it's still not enough to sell me on this album. I don't think it sounds anything like Paper Thin Walls, which is a much better song.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Okay, so this is much better than every other song they've released from the album so far (weird guitar bending! that's more like the Modest Mouse I know and love!), but it's still not enough to sell me on this album. I don't think it sounds anything like Paper Thin Walls, which is a much better song.

The sped-up riffs about 40 seconds in and the plucky licks behind Brock's vocals sound a little like the intro of Paper Thin walls, but that's all I'm hearing oh my God I love how bouncy these vocals are

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
It's official, nothing's selling Rageaholic Monkey on this album. Isaac Brock is devastated.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chamberk posted:

It's official, nothing's selling Rageaholic Monkey on this album. Isaac Brock is devastated.
You might say I'm......bankrupt on selling :shepface:

For real though, I've listened to The Ground Walks twice and it's a better effort than the rest of the new songs, but it's not the type of song that I feel like I'm really going to want to listen to over and over again for a long time to come. If that's the best they've got to offer nowadays, then cool, at least they're kinda trying. That's more than I heard with the other songs. But it's not exactly my bag.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

There was an anecdote on the Pitchfork LCW documentary were the UP records guy got Phil Ek to rerecord Teeth, Cockroach and Cowboy Dan with instructions to "record them better but not too much better". He knew what was up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And another one: "Of Course We Know"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGsf8IYP5WI
Take a guess as to how much I like this one!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

And another one: "Of Course We Know"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGsf8IYP5WI
Take a guess as to how much I like this one!

It's really actually not that bad man, definitely the best of the four that have been released so far. I don't have super high hopes for this album but I have been listening to MM since Long Drive came out so I think I'll probably like this record regardless. Coyotes is definitely one of the worst songs they have ever done though to be fair.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Issac just doesn't know what weird is anymore

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
As someone who came in late and only bought "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" - Parting of the Sensory is legitimately one of my favourite songs of all time - let me just say how much I am enjoying the wierd dancey pop of Lampshades on Fire and The Ground Walks with Time in a Box and hope there is more sooooooo there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shunkymonky posted:

As someone who came in late and only bought "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" - Parting of the Sensory is legitimately one of my favourite songs of all time - let me just say how much I am enjoying the wierd dancey pop of Lampshades on Fire and The Ground Walks with Time in a Box and hope there is more sooooooo there.
This guy is going to dance all dance hall every day.

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!
i think the song is pretty good. a bit complacent, doesn't really get where it feels like it might be going about half way through but it's alright. like said about Time Walks, digging the vibe a bit more than stuff on We Were Dead, still pretty excited to hear the other 11. Not to mention all the best of the new songs they toured live haven't been released yet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So since none of the songs released so far have impressed me much and there are still 11 more to go...I don't know if that gives me hope that maybe they got the worse songs out of the way to begin with and the rest will be better or makes me dread listening to an entire album of this stuff. I'm going to do it anyway because it's Modest Mouse, but if the rest of the songs are like the ones we've heard so far, I can't guarantee that I'm going to listen to the whole album more than once in my life.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

So since none of the songs released so far have impressed me much and there are still 11 more to go...I don't know if that gives me hope that maybe they got the worse songs out of the way to begin with and the rest will be better or makes me dread listening to an entire album of this stuff. I'm going to do it anyway because it's Modest Mouse, but if the rest of the songs are like the ones we've heard so far, I can't guarantee that I'm going to listen to the whole album more than once in my life.

Nobody gives a poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

James Hardon posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo.
Well you obviously do since you took the time to post that.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Does anyone else really like Little Motel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Does anyone else really like Little Motel?
Me. I think it was one of the absolute best songs from We Were Dead and I still listen to it every so often to this day.

• Locked thread