Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder if the end of the Diebuster plot will be them trying to use Earth to destroy the other Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Caphi posted:

You know, since they basically made Tag Commands so they could unify and control all the skills that were once "mandatory" like SP Regen/Gain and Chain Actions/Double Actions...

Does the introduction of Boost Dash mean that Dash is dead as a skill, too?

Or going beyond that, maybe you can combine Dash, Boost Dash and Accelerate. :getin:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I hope they keep Zechs' Ace Bonus. Fed him sooo many kills when I learnt what it was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I hope they keep Zechs' Ace Bonus. Fed him sooo many kills when I learnt what it was.
Yeah, Zechs was pretty mediocre in most of the games he's been in, but his ace bonus was hilariously gamebreaking.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder if the end of the Diebuster plot will be them trying to use Earth to destroy the other Earth.

Nono/Lark could be from the other Earth and a major plot point will be stopping them from ramming it into Z3-1 earth.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Son Ryo posted:

Wait, what's ironic about that? W's plot was great.
The ironic part is that W did SEED best by not focusing on it.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

You know, since they basically made Tag Commands so they could unify and control all the skills that were once "mandatory" like SP Regen/Gain and Chain Actions/Double Actions...

Does the introduction of Boost Dash mean that Dash is dead as a skill, too?

I'm guessing it's just there because they got rid of the Boost spirit.

Dash doesn't seem as MUST HAVE as those other skills.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

The ironic part is that W did SEED best by not focusing on it.

Well, SEED has the same problem with 0079: You kinda... can't do the plot in a SRW context. GC (and OE) are the only ones to try and in GC's case they teleport you to another dimension for half the OYW and in OE's case it is forced as hell.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Well, SEED has the same problem with 0079: You kinda... can't do the plot in a SRW context. GC (and OE) are the only ones to try and in GC's case they teleport you to another dimension for half the OYW and in OE's case it is forced as hell.

Doesnt J play it pretty straight?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KoB posted:

It does and it doesn't work because there's literally no reason for the plot to happen.

J has a lot of problems with that though. It's a good example of why doing SRW plot straight is dumb.

The only good thing J does with SEED is give Cagalli the Strike Rouge early and have the capture of Orb be the basis for her SEED mode upgrade which is significantly better than how the show handles it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

KoB posted:

As ImpAtom mentioned, J plays it so straight that it hurts.

Like, you'll have people jumping from the Archangel over to the Nadescio because the Archangel folks are way too mopey and involved in their melodrama.

There is actually a hilarious moment late game with Chairman Zala and Rau, where Rau of all people is like "Well sir, I know you want to fire your death laser at the Earth and eliminate all Naturals, but we're being sandwiched by the Jovian forces and the fucks from Layzner in space, and the Earth is already hosed with the Radam, Dr. Hell's folks, and the Zeorymer folks tearing everything up. We should really focus on protecting the PLANTS so we don't get screwed."

Zala is just "Yeah, you're right.... But the Naturals MUST DIE! Prepare Genesis!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My favorite moment is when Kira, Kouji, and Akito do the PROTECTING THE PEACE schtick and when everyone chews them out, Kouji and Akito are like 'yeah, that was retarded, why did we do that?' and turn on Kira in like 0.5 seconds.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Samurai Sanders posted:

I feel like Diebuster is like, the reason there's another Earth there in the first place. I'm pretty sure we saw that show coming from a mile away as soon as Gunbuster showed up in the 3-1 trailer.

There will likely be moments of 'well i mean, we've got a whole nother earth here and it's mostly water and poo poo, it's not that big of a deal if we throw it at peeps' and that making Nono very unhappy and Diebustering up. Quite wondering what second earth is anyways. Is it a distant future teleported in? Or a distant past? Of which universe? questions.

Also I'm guessing J did SEED super straight because like...it first showed up in Alpha 3 super forced in and at that point there were way more important things going on, so they wanted to make this super popular show more of a centerpiece for its next game. ...they didn't put Realize and Strike Launch in @3 which are essential to the experience so there's that too. Dammit bring back Strike Launch ugh.

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 6, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Endorph posted:

Yeah, Zechs was pretty mediocre in most of the games he's been in, but his ace bonus was hilariously gamebreaking.

Was it really that game breaking? I thought it was the best quality of life ever cause I love being able to fight ASAP.

[e] Okay I never cared much about having Build Gundam in an SRW game and am slowly catching up on Try but I really want the Tryon-3 <3 <3 <3

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

MechaX posted:

Zala is just "Yeah, you're right.... But the Naturals MUST DIE! Prepare Genesis!"

Yeah that's playing it too straight, due was a completely irrational psychopath.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
You CAN do a OYW SRW game but you just have to use The Origin which says the feddies have MS already they just aren't that good, and keep your other units on a similar scale, like FMP. something that still lets the Gundams contributions feel big (Beam rifle without needing to house something like a Super Robot Reactor) and you stat it like you stat Shin Mazinger, one of the best units in the game. It's easier for MSG because losing the RX-78-2 is not an Automatic Lose for the Earth Federation, while losing the Strike was an automatic lose in SEED, because in SEED it's their ONLY Mobile suit, while in The Origin they have other MS, it's just a better one, and they can win the war without the Gundam it'll just take a long rear end time.

So MSG is hard to do, but it's not SEED "Everyone has to be retarded for this to work or it all has to take place off screen"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Obviously they should just do it like OE, where the Guntank was the greatest MS of its era.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

You CAN do a OYW SRW game but you just have to use The Origin which says the feddies have MS already they just aren't that good, and keep your other units on a similar scale, like FMP. something that still lets the Gundams contributions feel big (Beam rifle without needing to house something like a Super Robot Reactor) and you stat it like you stat Shin Mazinger, one of the best units in the game. It's easier for MSG because losing the RX-78-2 is not an Automatic Lose for the Earth Federation, while losing the Strike was an automatic lose in SEED, because in SEED it's their ONLY Mobile suit, while in The Origin they have other MS, it's just a better one, and they can win the war without the Gundam it'll just take a long rear end time.

So MSG is hard to do, but it's not SEED "Everyone has to be retarded for this to work or it all has to take place off screen"

Well, it's more that MSG's plot (even in The Origin) is reliant on them being well out of their depth with no backup and thus forced to use civilian soldiers. The Gundams aren't hard to explain. It's the pilots that tend to need it. GC had a particularly hilarious scenario where the Dragonar guys also got their robots in the same scenario as Amuro but at least they had the Dragonar guys and Amuro divorced from most of the world early on.

Other shows run into this somewhat too but they usually have reasoning behind it. (Evangelions being the only thing that can properly fight Angels for example, or a super robot locked to a specific pilot.)

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Obviously they should just do it like OE, where the Guntank was the greatest MS of its era.

The Guntank is the greatest mobile suit of every era. We desperately need it to be in a modern SRW.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
We should have another SRWD setting, where everything is so hosed that most of the series' plots get turned on their head.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Amuro, Kamille, for the last time we don't want you piloting any Gundams! Go back to your family lives that haven't been shattered by war!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ImpAtom posted:

Well, it's more that MSG's plot (even in The Origin) is reliant on them being well out of their depth with no backup and thus forced to use civilian soldiers. The Gundams aren't hard to explain. It's the pilots that tend to need it. GC had a particularly hilarious scenario where the Dragonar guys also got their robots in the same scenario as Amuro but at least they had the Dragonar guys and Amuro divorced from most of the world early on.

Other shows run into this somewhat too but they usually have reasoning behind it. (Evangelions being the only thing that can properly fight Angels for example, or a super robot locked to a specific pilot.)

you can still do it, you just have to keep the rest of the units joining slow until you hit around the part where Amuro runs off with the Gundam. The big problem in J is you hit Seed and have about 14+ units, the only reason they deploy the strike (Key to winning the war) is "Because we can't trust the Nadesico!"

If you limit your joining units to Mazinger Z and Getter Robo and maybe the 3 M9s, a Chirico's Scopedog, and you just... make the group more and more to be a ragtag group of prototypes and one-of-a-kinds that that really losing any of them is a loss, so the Gundam is still important (In that it's a mass produced mobile weapon which can use a battleship class weapon with no special Super Robot Reactor and it operates in both space and earth ) but not at the expense of not making sense with the crossover setting. And then when you hit the point where Amuro leaves and comes back it still works because "Do you think YOUR the only one keeping this ship around?!" and then your group expands and it all works out.

The thing is it's not easy. But it's possible.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Tell me more about your fan fiction.

E: I'm only half-mocking. I at least wanna hear your cast list.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd play a Space Vietnam SRW.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
like the last ten episodes of Gundam 00 plus the movie
Getter Robo Armageddon
Mazinkaiser SKL
Gunbuster (hey look noriko shows up on stage one doing episode one of gunbuster and it doesn't take until the last quarter of the game for it to show up! also diebuster's there too)
All of the Evangelion things (Rebuild happens before the tv series! whawhooo?)
All of the Fafner things
All of the Tekkaman Blade things
The OG Macross back again, plus the Flashback thing because the VF-4 is super rad, also Macross Zero
Engage Planet Kissdum which you've never heard of because it's a good show for about 3 episodes and then takes one hell of a nosedive
Blue Gender
Gunparade March and an attempt to salvage the utter stupidity that was Gunparade Orchestra
Knights of Sidonia
M3
Bushi Road (nobody watched this movie T.T)
All of the Muv-Luv things
SURPRISE IT'S PACIFIC RIM

on the fence: the ancient old failed super robot show Godam, Betterman, and you will hate me for actually being largely unsure whether or not GaoGaiGar is a good idea because I'm leaning towards no, 15 is a good number i think, possibility of other things like Gravion, Daitarn, etc but their villains are slightly too people-like and the world is not as screwed

this one of the two i am wording about but the other one is a lot more complicated and weird and has more things this one is more straightforward and I've watched more of the shows involved, goddamn is Muv-Luv hard to wrap my head around though also i'd have to play a dating sim for dialogue on one stage ugh

:words:

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 6, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You want to play the Most Depressing SRW ever I take it

Should play @3 again, the SRX team gets beat up!!! It's a real downer.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

MechaX posted:

Like, you'll have people jumping from the Archangel over to the Nadescio because the Archangel folks are way too mopey and involved in their melodrama.

:allears: Hyoma...

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Even without that, come on the Archangel's a dumpy warship, the Nadesico has a goddamn bathhouse and restaurant because it's some kind of refitted space cruise ship so it's surprising anyone ever stays with the mopers.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

Tell me more about your fan fiction.

E: I'm only half-mocking. I at least wanna hear your cast list.

Mobile Suit Gundam - The Origin (Real)
Getter Robo (New/Manga either works for me) (Super)
Shin Mazinger (Super)
Votoms (Real)
Gad Guard (Hybrid)
Full Metal Panic (Real)
Macross Zero (Real)
Garasaki (never seen it, but it sounds like it fits) (Real?)
Patlabor (Real)
Daiguard (Real?)
The Big O (Super)
Gaiking, Legend of Daiku Maryu (Super)
Daitarn 3 (Super)
And if I could wing it. the Zoids Battle Story. (The story that came with the model kits)

None of the Real Robots listed besides the Gundam have access to beam weaponry, maintaining the establishment that the Gundam is super loving important, at the same time we have Macross Zero and nothing treds all over it eventually introducing the first transforming mecha, and in the future it can serve as a basis for Zeta etc. if sequels were to come about. FMP and Votoms both supply grunt units that can realistically be inferior to the mobile suits of Zeon while mixing with the Earth Federations forces. Maziner, Gerrer, Gad Guard, Big O, Daitarn and Gaiking are all unique, using technology beyond the ability to mass produce and thus, set themselves up as being one of a kind units that can't merely replace the federations forces.

Finally Patlabor helps establish the setting with Gundam since Mobile Suits were developed from out of space worker suits, and again, if I can wing the Zoids Battle Story, I will, with the exception of gigantic super robots like the Death Saurer, solid-round weaponry is common and key, providing some visually different units, as well as mixing the story up. It can perhaps take place with Gaiking on another realm. As for Garasaki... I've not seen it, but it seemed to fit the portfolio.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That would be cool as heck if there were some enemies that had some sort of shield/barrier vs non-beams. Nothing too awful and frustrating in case someone hasn't upgraded the Gundam for whatever reason, but I can't think of a single SRW moment I've played where having a B on your weapon screen matters outside of water. Most units would have a Pierce attack anyway, but the Gundam would be super easy mode against them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

That would be cool as heck if there were some enemies that had some sort of shield/barrier vs non-beams. Nothing too awful and frustrating in case someone hasn't upgraded the Gundam for whatever reason, but I can't think of a single SRW moment I've played where having a B on your weapon screen matters outside of water. Most units would have a Pierce attack anyway, but the Gundam would be super easy mode against them.

Right, the idea is to present it as a very powerful unit. Like when you look at the setting you think to yourself "Okay, what's important about 0079 that is vital to making it so you can run with the story and do well mechanically" The idea that the earth federation cannot match the powerful mobile suits of Zeon, and no one has beam weaponry, as well Zeon has a mobile weapon that functions on land and in space with no issues. Lets look at the Federation before the Gundam in regards to that theoretical plot. M6's, Military Labors, planes, tanks, and maybe the Garasaki mecha, None of those function in space, and a good amount of them would fall under a swarm of Zaku IIs. In space they can have their Guncannons and ATs and that's it, and the Guncannon wasn't even that good of a suit in The Origin and I'm sure while they can swarm ATs they would likely get overrun.

Nothing in the world, despite the world having mobile weapons and even super robots, precludes the need for the Gundam. And that's lost when you look at something like SEED in J. There's no real 'need' for the Strike because Gundam Fighters exist and hell mobile suits pilotable by some butler exist. And the game flipflops between no one knowing about the Gundam Fights and namedropping Neo Sweden whcih... honestly brings up a lot of questions about the setting. But okay the Gundam in SEED is meant to be one of a kind, special, if they lose it, then they might as well bend over because ZAFT will crush them. While in UC, while the Gundam was important, it wouldn't cost the whole war effort to lose it. It would just get a helluva lot bloodier.

But regardless, in either case you need to start the game with the Gundam, in short there must be a reasonable explanation why you are deploying something so valuable. In the Gundam's case if you start the game with it "Because we need to protect ourselves and we don't have an option." And if you slowly trickle in pilots with a super here or a real there. Then by the time you hit earth and "We're under fire from Garma ah!" then it still works for Amuro to need to pilot it. And you can half-use his reason for running away for the Ramba Ral arc to do with you gaining more units and pilots "Well clearly we don't need to risk the Gundam anymore." etc.

By the time you have enough units to support and Ramba Ral is done, then the frigging GM has finished development and the Gundam can freely be used to help break through with no worry.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
speaking of gad guard and the big o here's the OTHER one

Turn A Gundam
Xabungle
Gargantia
Orguss (mostly II)
Gun X Sword
Space Runaway Ideon featuring a plot in which route splits largely hinge on what they can actually get to work in space and even then barely any space happens
Big O
Giant Robo
Gad Guard
Steam Detectives
Tetsujin 28
Basquash
Nobunaga the Fool
Dragon's Heaven
Lagrange
Mars Daybreak
Simoun
Maybes in Galilei Donna, King Gainer, Demonbane, Kannazuki no Miko, Demonbane, Acrobunch, and Expelled from Paradise but jeez like 25 shows is hard to keep track of

further complicating this is a thing in which the game would kind of be divided into acts that change what Battle Masteries do, for the first 20 stages it's along the lines of notoriety, because at that point the main original enemies who look suspiciously like the Alpha Numbers show up and normally they just declare you a threat for having way too many superweapons but if you've established that you're skilled and effective they offer the prospect of working together with you and open up the possibility for a whole bunch of endings

The second act if you've done that stuff then decides the endings, where there's multiple mutually exclusive masteries a stage that give alliance points towards the major factions, mainly being the original guys buddying with the Moon Race, the Paradigm Corporation, the Galactic Federation of Le Garite, the default bad ending of working with the Buff Clan, or the default good one of continued independence mainly aligned with Nobunaga. And then the third is deciding the success of that ending, which of those you'll face as the last battle, and convincing people who might be opposed to help you out (like say, it'll be a hard sell to convince the very independent Basquash crew to go with the original peeps plan to re-make an Earth Federation).

there is however a particular person messing with spacetime bombs and making an in-story reason why your units keep upgrades on them in NG+, so getting all the major endings and secrets previously and other requirements brings the super happy true ending of getting everyone to work together to beat that

...said villain is super crazy about flowers and evolution of life and shows homophobic colors based on that which is a Very Good Idea when the fabled military of a magical Switzerland and the operators of three or four civilization ending robots are all lesbians lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my dream srw game

iczer-one
iczer-3
rinne no lagrange
galilei donna
dancouga nova
kannazuki no miko

the girls kiss

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

MechaX posted:

As ImpAtom mentioned, J plays it so straight that it hurts.

There is actually a hilarious moment late game with Chairman Zala and Rau, where Rau of all people is like "Well sir, I know you want to fire your death laser at the Earth and eliminate all Naturals, but we're being sandwiched by the Jovian forces and the fucks from Layzner in space, and the Earth is already hosed with the Radam, Dr. Hell's folks, and the Zeorymer folks tearing everything up. We should really focus on protecting the PLANTS so we don't get screwed."

Endorph posted:

My favorite moment is when Kira, Kouji, and Akito do the PROTECTING THE PEACE schtick and when everyone chews them out, Kouji and Akito are like 'yeah, that was retarded, why did we do that?' and turn on Kira in like 0.5 seconds.

All this just makes me want to play J again.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Endorph posted:

my dream srw game

iczer-one
iczer-3
rinne no lagrange
galilei donna
dancouga nova
kannazuki no miko

the girls kiss

as far as I know girls never kiss in galilei donna nor dancougar nova

...actually they don't in iczer-3 either because it's secretly just dragonball z in disguise

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

The Inspectors in OG2 had Beam Absorb, or at least some of them did. But you're pretty much absolutely right.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

EthanSteele posted:

Isn't that how the SEED units work with Phase Shift? And there's a fair number of barriers that work only on beams (though much fewer that only work against non-beams, Phase Shift Armour being the only one I can think of offhand.)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Prism posted:

Isn't that how the SEED units work with Phase Shift? And there's a fair number of barriers that work only on beams (though much fewer that only work against non-beams, Phase Shift Armour being the only one I can think of offhand.)
Yes, that's why Setsuko's route in SRW Z is such a giant pain in the rear end. You have to deal with 3 boss characters with VPS Armor and only have a limited number of attacks that do beam damage. Hell, poo poo like the flying armor crash for Kamille's MKII doesn't count as a beam attack which makes things even more annoying.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm pretty sure it's possible to put a Beam Coat on the Destiny, but did any boss in Z ever try that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Gravity Barriers that Nadesico units have in various games are more easily breached by moderately strong beams. In J Gravity Barriers cancel beam damage below 1500 and gravity attacks below 2500 and reduce all other attacks by 1000, for instance.

• Locked thread