Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
:siren:The final update is here! It's over!!! Thanks for watching!:siren:

If you’re here in this thread, you probably already know what Silent Hill 2 is, so I’ll spare the deets. We’re here to discuss the symbolism and themes of the game in this thread while the spoiler-free LP is going on in this other thread! This thread is where the "Nerd Commentary" versions of the regular LP’s vids are going to be. In them, Kamoc and I will be discussing symbolism and spoilers on top of the footage I'm using for the non-spoiler LP. In this thread, feel free to post theories, cool ideas, rants and raves, discussion and explanations about SH2. They don’t go in the other thread unless you’re an innocent who’s speculating and doesn’t know what’s going on up in there. Feel free to spoil everything you want about the games in here. For example: James killed Mary. There, just like that.

NERD COMMENTARY VIDEOS
Episode 01
Episode 02
Episode 03
Episode 04
Episode 05
Episode 06
Episode 07
Episode 08
Episode 09
Episode 10
Episode 11 (With Special Guest Jeremy Blaustein!)
Episode 12
Episode 13
Episode 14
Episode 15
Episode 16
Episode 17
The Leave Ending
The Maria Ending
The Rebirth Ending
The UFO Ending
The Dog Ending
Born From a Wish 01
Born From a Wish 02

Bonus Vids
PyramidHead fight comparison: Shooting vs. Pacifism
VoidBurger and Bob's Weed Joke Workshop (cut content from the end of Episode 09)

Music!
Pay Attention! by Alexander Rosetti

FAN ART!
Sev/@whackochacko:

@Rumrusher:

Aphra Bane:

purple_sammich:

DeathChicken:

NoctisWarp:

Huzzah!:

Pesky Splinter:

@cabeleb:
"Pyramid Head's shoes were wet after trudging through the flooded stairs so he's takin a little break"

Nomad175:

ThatPazuzu (in honor of the thread coming back from hiatus):

@winebutterflies:

dijon du jour:
"I think Bob needs to file a res-train-ing order"

uncleKitchener:

Bored:
"Just felt the need to say that a silent hill kitty would be all butthole, all the time."

Moto42 posted:

The Silent Hillcat.
Misunderstood and demonized, Silent Hill's unconventional kittens just want a place in our heart.

They do look strange. With unusual coloration, noted 'hissing, burping' cry, and striking face; it's easy to see why so many look upon this breed with fear and contempt. An attitude evident in the many nicknames for the Silent Hillcat: 'Hellcat', 'ButtKitten', 'Shitkitty'...

Beneath that thin, patchy coat is a constant companion for any who would open their hearts and homes to love.

A living mystery
Noted breeder, Ernst Hackit of Brahms is credited with developing this unique feline. Though his estate vehemently denies any involvement. All we know is that a lot of emotion went into these cats, who appeared suddenly in our shrubs and back alleys 'almost overnight'.

Tackled by love
Ever playful, the Silent Hillcat is 'aggressively affectionate'. You will quickly learn it's game of leaping up, giving your leg a quick 'hug and nip', and quickly running back into hiding. They sometimes land on your shoulder, to rub their loving face on your cheek and neck.

Naturally robust and healthy
The Silent Hill Animal Clinic sees hundreds of pets each year. They report that they have never treated a Silent Hillcat for any of the digestive maladies that bedevil so many other breeds. Nothing can keep the Silent Hellcat from it's 'duties'.
When questioned about vaccinations, veterinarians reply, "Please don't bring them in", Proving the Silent Hillcat to be almost maintenance free.

A constant companion
Few animals cleave so closely to their owners side as the Silent Hillcat, or to such pronounced effect on them.
Once you have been 'selected as her pet human', you will have a constant companion, anywhere you go.
Some owners report they have heard their pet's voice follow them into slumber. A familiar sound through even their darkest nightmares.

Already waiting for you
Why keep them waiting? If you can find room in your heart and home; room for love, room for affection, room for companionship; then open your home to a Silent Hillcat right now.
There's no need to drive to the animal shelter. A simple treat of meat and some blood will quickly bring one, or more of these feisty felines into your life.

-Sincerly;

Silas Brookhaven

edit: I guess I should explain myself. I'm learning to write advertising copy and this became my 'quick practice item' for the day.
This was too much fun. I have my own headcannon for these things now. Origin story, attack patterns, what areas you would find them in... :psyduck:

Lurking Haro:

@westerngenre

@hawk16zz

dijon du jour

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Aww yiss, been waiting years for this!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
SH2 is one of those games I know too much about without ever actually playing it. Looking forward to this.

MichaelGreyFox
Jan 18, 2015

A E S T H E T I C S
Siiiick. I've been thinking about Silent Hill in general a lot recently after a couple friends just found out about P.T. This is one of those games where every time feels like the first time

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
I guess I won't stay silent on this thread. Looking forward to the LP.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Should have intro'd the spoiler video #1 with "JAMES DIES. OR HE DOESN'T."

Thank god someone else noticed the van in Origins being weirdly out-of-proportion.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 5, 2015

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Team spoiler thread for lyfe

I'm already working on club t-shirts for us.

(Great to see the new LP. Excited to see what kind of discussion comes up.)

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 5, 2015

Lovely Smiler
Dec 30, 2012
I've played this game like ten times and I still know I'm gonna learn something here, can't wait to see what

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Weird question, but can you/will you show off the police tape when you return to the scene where you first encounter the Lying Liar Who Lies Patient Liar Demon? I've never actually seen that myself.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Not being into horror games at all, I still really enjoy hearing about them. Especially from Voidburger and Kamoc!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

When VoidBurger said "James, don't go into that spooky hole", I had a thought.

You might as well call Silent Hill 2 "James Sunderland Makes Increasingly Bad Choices Regarding Spooky Holes".

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

You might as well call Silent Hill 2 "James Sunderland Makes Increasingly Bad Choices Regarding Spooky Holes".

James Sunderland and the No Good Very Big Holes

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

James Sunderland and the No Good Very Big Holes

A Series of Unfortunate Hol-- no, no. I'll stop.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That pretty much sums up James in many regards.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Just finished watching the Shattered Memories LP, super thrilled to see you do one for this game. Played it like once, got the end you'd get for looking at everything over and over again.

Also, James: not someone you want to shake hands with.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
It's amazing how well this game tackled the material present in its story. Everything it had was grotesque, unnerving, and even hard to watch. And yet, Silent Hill 2 did all of it tastefully. Glad you've gotten around to doing this, VB!

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.
Okay, quick note about mile markers: I have lived in both New York and Baltimore. I commute from Baltimore to DC every day, and on my commute there are miler markers for places that are HELLA far from me, like Atlanta.

Mile markers in Maryland and DC make no loving sense. Silent Hill is in Maryland, QED.

purple_sammich
Feb 3, 2010
Yay, it's finally here! So happy you're doing this, VB. Silent Hill 2 is one of my favorite video games even though I am a scared baby and each time I play it it takes me multiple years to beat it. It'll be nice to see the game all in one go rather than spread across like 5 years.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Aren't you afraid that the concentrated nerdery of this thread could affect the groundwater? Children being born with strong opinions on the symbolism of Robbie the Rabbit. Is that what you want?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

What's it like to be playing a game that doesn't make you want to kill yourself?

Ed: But instead makes people think they wanted to kill/ruin the franchise.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

7c Nickel posted:

Aren't you afraid that the concentrated nerdery of this thread could affect the groundwater? Children being born with strong opinions on the symbolism of Robbie the Rabbit. Is that what you want?
As long as the sweet little babies in the non-spoiler thread are safe, I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

Veloxyll posted:

What's it like to be playing a game that doesn't make you want to kill yourself?
Pretty ironic, because this games is pretty depressing and about suicide and dark poo poo like that, lol. That stuff shouldn't be refreshing, but it is????

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Edit: I'm tired is my excuse for stating something clearly in the video. But does anyone have the link to that developer interview/magazine thing that touched on Mary's corpse? It was a good read, I remember.

Man, when you're in your mid-20's and you're remembering this game, you realize that everything in this game is so intense that you shouldn't have played it 10 years ago because this is so not appropriate for kids. At all.

bman in 2288 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 6, 2015

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I assume you'll be getting the only correct, canon ending for this game? (the Dog ending) :colbert:

Also, will you show off/compare the puzzles from hard and easy? Some of them get insanely convoluted don't they?

porkbun
Aug 6, 2006

Can't wait the see all your commentary with Bob on this!

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

They wanted to call the "Maria" ending that, but the executives stepped in and vetoed that one. :downsrim:

Looking forward to this! Welcome back, Voidburger!

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

bman in 2288 posted:

Edit: I'm tired is my excuse for stating something clearly in the video. But does anyone have the link to that developer interview/magazine thing that touched on Mary's corpse? It was a good read, I remember.
I dunno about an interview, but Masahiro Ito (the game's lead art dude) recalled Mary's body being in the car here: NSFW twitter background!

Spalec posted:

I assume you'll be getting the only correct, canon ending for this game? (the Dog ending) :colbert:
Gonna be in a bonus video, I think! I let the game naturally get whatever ending it wanted to on my LP run, then went back and recorded all the other endings. (Still have work to do on that end, though...)

Spalec posted:

Also, will you show off/compare the puzzles from hard and easy? Some of them get insanely convoluted don't they?
I'm considering it? I'm not really sure because honestly, I don't understand a lot of the harder difficulty puzzles, myself. I feel like all I'd be doing is research and regurgitating solutions I don't entirely understand, haha. Really, you can just look up the solutions easier than I can sum up the solutions and make a coherent video out of them. :( If people really want it though, I can make a bonus video about each puzzle.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Whycalibur posted:

A Series of Unfortunate Hol-- no, no. I'll stop.

please respect angela

I'll wait a few videos before I start asking dumb questions about silent hill but otherwise I am super hyped to see SH2 because I don't really know a lot about it despite knowing a lot about it because of cultural osmosis and it's always been the SH that's the most interesting seeming to me.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

BearJazz posted:

Okay, quick note about mile markers: I have lived in both New York and Baltimore. I commute from Baltimore to DC every day, and on my commute there are miler markers for places that are HELLA far from me, like Atlanta.

Mile markers in Maryland and DC make no loving sense. Silent Hill is in Maryland, QED.

or Utah. So 200 miles isnt so bad.

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 6, 2015

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Wow, people really want to leave Utah, huh.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
That's a sign right outside Baltimore. So I guess its just a suggestion on how far you should get away from Baltimore. Is Silent Hill in Maryland? I always figured it was in like Tennessee or something but never really paid attention either way.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's like springfield but before matt groening said where springfield was supposed to be

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
It used to just be just "New England" for a while there, but there's a few things that have placed it in Maine.

- In Hiroyuki Owaku's (scenario writer of the first games in the series) Double Under Dusk Japanese-only cellphone comic, Silent Hill is placed in Maine.
- A timeline in the Book of Lost Memories' (which is a big theory guide thingy released by Konami after SH3 came out) specifically mentions "Maine becomes a state." Which is kinda weird to include if that's not where Silent Hill is located.
-Downpour also places it in Maine with license plates and whatnot.
- And the weirdest one: On the inside of the liner notes for the Japanese release of Silent Hill 4: The Room's soundtrack, an address is given for Heaven's Night that ends in "ME", which is Maine.

Though it makes sense that it's in Maine, since the majority of Stephen King's novels seem to take place there, and King was a major influencer of the series. The movies shove it in West Virginia because they based it off the real abandoned town of Centralia for no decent reason, imo.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

This has always been one of my favorite games. I remember one year I was able to find a bunch of used copies for $10-12 a pop and so that year everyone got SH2 for Christmas. I enjoyed other games in the series, but none of them really affected me the way 2 did. I'm very much looking forward to a spoiler-filled discussion of this game.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

VoidBurger posted:

The movies shove it in West Virginia because they based it off the real abandoned town of Centralia for no decent reason, imo.

Dilapidated towns full of rusty poo poo and vision-obscuring particulates. Although by that logic you could base Silent Hill in Michigan.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
All proves that Maine is the most haunted loving place on earth. I live there and I hear noises under my bed nightly. :v: Hell my town has a hidden ~*Sewer Level*~ so to speak.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

VoidBurger posted:

It used to just be just "New England" for a while there, but there's a few things that have placed it in Maine.

- In Hiroyuki Owaku's (scenario writer of the first games in the series) Double Under Dusk Japanese-only cellphone comic, Silent Hill is placed in Maine.
- A timeline in the Book of Lost Memories' (which is a big theory guide thingy released by Konami after SH3 came out) specifically mentions "Maine becomes a state." Which is kinda weird to include if that's not where Silent Hill is located.
-Downpour also places it in Maine with license plates and whatnot.
- And the weirdest one: On the inside of the liner notes for the Japanese release of Silent Hill 4: The Room's soundtrack, an address is given for Heaven's Night that ends in "ME", which is Maine.

Though it makes sense that it's in Maine, since the majority of Stephen King's novels seem to take place there, and King was a major influencer of the series. The movies shove it in West Virginia because they based it off the real abandoned town of Centralia for no decent reason, imo.
To be fair, Centralia is probably one of the closet things to a real life Silent HIll.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Accordion Man posted:

To be fair, Centralia is probably one of the closet things to a real life Silent HIll.
Yeah, if Silent Hill had a coal fire burning under the town that made everybody move out. But it doesn't in the games, that's just something they put in the movie! Heck, there's loads of abandoned American towns out there! If one of them had cult wackiness and a tourist drug ring going on in them, THAT would be the town I'd point to and say "That's the closest thing to a real life Silent Hill."

Actually, it's debated still how populated Silent Hill actually is. It was a thriving tourist town until at least SH1, which took place in 1983ish, I think? I think there's evidence for it still being a tourist hotspot during the events of SH2 (1993, if I'm not mistaken?), but I'm too tired to look it up right now... Pretty sure that Homecoming was the first to be like "That place is hosed up, we don't go there" but then again, Homecoming was kinda "Silent Hill: The Movie: The Game" in a few ways.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There are ads for Silent Hill as a tourist spot in SH4 too, which was probably supposed to have happened fairly shortly after SH2.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nah, 4 takes place a while after 2. James' dad says he disappeared years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

VoidBurger posted:

Yeah, if Silent Hill had a coal fire burning under the town that made everybody move out. But it doesn't in the games, that's just something they put in the movie! Heck, there's loads of abandoned American towns out there! If one of them had cult wackiness and a tourist drug ring going on in them, THAT would be the town I'd point to and say "That's the closest thing to a real life Silent Hill.

Me, my sister and my mother played through all the Silent Hills over Christmas 2004, right after The Room came out. We still joke about Silent Hill being based off of the tiny town (less than 2000 people) we grew up in.

It had lots of "cults" (Moose, Elk, Oddfellows and Masons... In fact the biggest building in town in an old Masonic temple), along with 13 (at last count) churches of various denominations, and a ton of drugs used to go through. It's been dying for a long time, they built a highway that goes around it, and the logging industry died out. It used to be kind of a touristy place to stop in and eat/get gas/whatever on your way up the mountains, but another route has become popular. There's really no reason to go there at all anymore.

It's heavily forested and borders a river with a lake just outside of town, it rains all the time and is foggy pretty often. Also had a spooky abandoned lumber mill, a disturbing restaurant with dozens of stuffed big game trophies (they had multiple tigers and polar bear, the dude who owned it was some famous crazy big game hunter in the mid 1900s), and the Elementary and High schools were massive brick buildings built in the 20s. I had to go into the sub-basement of the Elementary school once to help a teacher out when I was in High-school, and the loving thing was filled with old style wheelchairs and weird physical therapy equipment for disabled kids. Freaked me the gently caress out.

Two of the three ways out of town were either a dilapidated bridge over a deep river gorge or a mountain road that was pretty much always washed out or snowed in.

No amusement park, alas.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 6, 2015

• Locked thread