Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Irish Joe posted:

Stargate is currently in its bazillionth

Stargate hasn't had a TV show on the air since 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How good of a show is Homeland?

I'm 3 episodes in,but some of the acting (brody and his wife and family) is pretty brutal.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Fallon's doing good work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MftOONlDQac

I mean it's not terribly funny but it's interesting that he was able to get everyone (except Screech for obvious reasons)

I've liked what I've seen of his show, I just really can't make the time for late night talk shows and their signal to noise ratio.

Anyone curious about why Dustin Diamond wasn't there should watch his hilariously bitter documentary about how everyone else was dicks and he hosed 10000 girls and and and

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How good of a show is Homeland?

I'm 3 episodes in,but some of the acting (brody and his wife and family) is pretty brutal.

Well Morena Baccarin sucks in it yes, but the daughter and Brody start to mesh really well and Season 1 of Homeland was some of the absolute best tv in recent memory..

Do not under any circumstances watch past season 1, though. Just pretend the other thing happened, you'll know what when you see it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

Anyone curious about why Dustin Diamond wasn't there should watch his hilariously bitter documentary about how everyone else was dicks and he hosed 10000 girls and and and

There's also the little thing about him stabbing a dude with a switchblade in a Wisconsin bar fight the day after Christmas last year.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

IRQ posted:

I've liked what I've seen of his show, I just really can't make the time for late night talk shows and their signal to noise ratio.

Meanwhile, if you were curious about Lark Voorhies not being there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AobTzmW5sRw

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mo0 posted:

Yikes. :smith:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mo0 posted:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ey2FrakY4KgC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

quote:

Now, at, cross, are, the, bearing, root, of, handsomely, tied, followings, gained, to, the, instill, of, reap. Sheatherened, callows, of, date, and, morost, that, so, charge, the, all, too, probable, applique, awenst, the, carolous, sweep, aprost, the, known, terrain, of, harmonous, journalings.

Lark Voorhies Teaches Typing

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Mo0 posted:

Lark Voorhies Teaches Typing

And I thought my double space after periods was a bad typing habit.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

tk posted:

And I thought my double space after periods was a bad typing habit.

Double spacing after periods is not a crime. Death to the young.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm on episode 7 of The 100 and it's not bad! Also the show should be called like The 67 or whatever since so many die.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm on episode 7 of The 100 and it's not bad! Also the show should be called like The 67 or whatever since so many die.

Its a legit fun show. Only gets better.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Timby posted:

Both her and Ice-T's contracts are up after this season, so they have some negotiations to do.

i hope mariska leaves, her characters a drag

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Jesus loving Christ Backstrom just dropped a line that has absolutely no defense at all. He ends up meeting his ex, from the context a lawyer and his line is

"Why aren't you in Salem defending battered women from the men they annoy?"

loving hell I quit the episode right there. This show is complete irredeemable garbage.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

Lost Girl is in its 6th season and Stargate is currently in its bazillionth.

Wait, which Stargate series is still running?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I never got the impression that show was trying to be anything but House, but as a police procedural.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pentyne posted:

Jesus loving Christ Backstrom just dropped a line that has absolutely no defense at all. He ends up meeting his ex, from the context a lawyer and his line is

loving hell I quit the episode right there. This show is complete irredeemable garbage.

I've only seen the first episode of Backstrom but I get the impression that you're not supposed to agree with the sentiment behind that line. Though to be fair, I've only watched the pilot because my wife found him to be such an annoying, terrible, irredeemable rear end in a top hat that she didn't have any desire to watch more.

I will give the show credit though, they certainly aren't going for the "rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold" cliche.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

raditts posted:

Wait, which Stargate series is still running?

Irish Joe lives in a parallel universe where Stargate is still running.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there many series which started with a two-part story? Not in the "feature-length pilot" fashion, but in the sense that episodes one and two are one story in two parts. The only examples that occur to me off the top of my head are Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Dead Zone but I imagine there are more.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Wandle Cax posted:

I want to live in that universe because SGU actually got pretty decent towards the end of its run. It was too little too late but the stuff they set up was interesting and they finally found a dynamic that worked with the Captain, Rush, Eli and Wren.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

pentyne posted:

Cool, thanks for showing how progressive you are to a group of strangers.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Wandle Cax posted:

Irish Joe used the Quantum Mirror?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mo0 posted:

I don't try to armchair psychoanalyze but I know someone whose family member is schizophrenic and he spoke very similarly to that. It's incredibly unfortunate for her either way. :smith:

I'm not prone to hyperbole but her most recent pictures up on Google search are unsettling, too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Metal Loaf posted:

Are there many series which started with a two-part story? Not in the "feature-length pilot" fashion, but in the sense that episodes one and two are one story in two parts. The only examples that occur to me off the top of my head are Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Dead Zone but I imagine there are more.

BSG started with a 2-part miniseries.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the longest a genre show has gone before the thread turned on it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

What's the longest a genre show has gone before the thread turned on it?

Lost, maybe?

Edit: I remember the first season threads were mainly positive and by the time I stopped watching the second season it still seemed well regarded.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 6, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this? posted:

Lost, maybe?

Edit: I remember the first season threads were mainly positive and by the time I stopped watching the second season it still seemed well regarded.

I remember a lot of people not liking 3 very much.

I'd say the Stargate thread was generally positive up until the last couple seasons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah, LOST had detractors almost constantly. Maybe BSG? I wasn't around for that one, though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

No show will have 100% positive posting though. BSG also had its detractors early on re: the religion angle, but I wouldn't count that, or one-off really unpopular single episodes like The Woman King.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't remember the thread here, but BSG had people hating on it before it even aired. Convinced it was going to be a terrible remake and that the old version would reign superior.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

No show will have 100% positive posting though. BSG also had its detractors early on re: the religion angle, but I wouldn't count that, or one-off really unpopular single episodes like The Woman King.

Yeah but you know what I mean. Mostly everyone will be like "Here's what I liked and this show is soo cool" and then one day it's just bam, everyone dogpiling it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The BSG threads were mostly love fests until the last season, so somewhere in the 4th season. Then it started getting way more conflicted. Lost turned earlier than that, I think around season 3. Heroes turned super fast in season 2, with good reason. There's another show I'm not allowed to mention in here that just finished it's 8th season, which has gone back and forth between the thread loving everything it's done and hating everything it's done, but this past season's thread was mostly positive.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you want to talk about genre threads that were terrible from the get go nothing beats The Walking Dead. As soon as the first episode aired the whole thing went to poo poo, becoming completely full of "that's not how zombies act" or "this is what I would have done in that situation." Ugh.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Isn't that a reasonable line of discussion, though? If characters are acting contrary to the way real people would act for no other reason than to put themselves into peril, then that's a sign of lazy writing and is something worth talking about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Isn't that a reasonable line of discussion, though? If characters are acting contrary to the way real people would act for no other reason than to put themselves into peril, then that's a sign of lazy writing and is something worth talking about.

The thing is they were acting like regular people would act, what they weren't doing was acting like cool, calm zombie murder machines who had spent hours and hours of their lives thinking and talking and posting about exactly what they would do in a zombie apocalypse.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

The thing is they were acting like regular people would act, what they weren't doing was acting like cool, calm zombie murder machines who had spent hours and hours of their lives thinking and talking and posting about exactly what they would do in a zombie apocalypse.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Not to nitpick, but I imagine if I were in the midst of a zombie apocalypse, I would spend every waking moment of my life worrying about, and planning how to kill, zombies. Now, you could say that the zombie apocalypse just occurred and people didn't have time yet to put much thought into it. However, the series starts 60 days into the zombie apocalypse. By comparison, it takes 70 days to train a marine to fight living, breathing and, most importantly, thinking human beings. 60 days should be more than enough time to develop the basic survival skills you need to outwit a slow, shambling horde of unthinking monsters.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

BSG started with a 2-part miniseries.

I've thought of another: Forever Knight.

They're definitely rare, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Metal Loaf posted:

The Lost pilot is officially, Pilot Part 1 and Pilot Part 2, but it probably aired as a 2 hour premiere, so I don't know if that counts as your "feature-length pilot". Same for Firefly. The 80's Transformers started with a 3 parter, "More Than Meets The Eye".

• Locked thread