Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

frozenpeas posted:

I just decided to upgrade my ancient Dlink DNS323 after nearly 8 years of solid, but very slow use. Synology 215j should arrive tomorrow.

Does anyone know if I have to reformat the drives I'm using when I put them in the Synology?

You will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

The reason I ask is because the drives are already formatted to EXT4 using the Alt-F custom firmware. Isn't that the system that Synology reads too?

Sorry should have mentioned that.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

heard good things about the hp microservers - the newest model (gen8) seems to have an upgradable cpu and looks a little nicer, is there anything majorly wrong with it that I should know before I pull the trigger? would it also be possible to put a low end i3/xeon in it sometime in the future in case i wanted to do a plex transcode or two? without causing a house fire
The four disk bays are split speed, bay 0/1 are SATA600, bay 2/3 are sata300. Hooking an SSD up to the optical disk sata port will make it wig the gently caress out and not boot. You'll probably want to stick an M1015 in the pci slot it comes with and just ignore the onboard sata all together. It does take Xeons, but if you're going to stick something with a higher TDP in it you might run into heat issues as the only airflow comes from a huge fan at the back sucking air past the drives and over the passive heatsink. Noctua (I think) makes a cooler that's low-profile enough to fit if you really want a fan.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Boner Wad posted:

You're running a virtualized router? Have you had any issues with that setup? I've been thinking about switching ISPs and I'd go from 30/3 to 100/5. I'd think this would keep up possibly.

Do you have a recommended setup/parts list?

Sorry I had the week from hell at work. I am running a basic Xeon workstation board with a chipset (C206) that is supported on VMware's HCL.

The good news is that pfsense 2.2 recently dropped, and I spent some time updating to that this weekend. The big change, particularly for a 0.1 release, is change from FreeBSD 9.x to FreeBSD 10.x. The most important part of the change log for me is native kernel support of vmxnet3, which loving OWNS because I spent a few hours trying to get vmware tools to install before and it was painful. My original install was the x86 version, and I later found out that you are not supposed to run the x86 version on x86-64 capable processor, so the reinstall this weekend was to x86-64 and it is a bit more performant.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Pfsense actually updated from FreeBSD 8, so it's a pretty big jump.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

phosdex posted:

Pfsense actually updated from FreeBSD 8, so it's a pretty big jump.

Oh right. I knew that but was still catching my breath from digging my car out this morning.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The N36/40L HP Microservers had a modded BIOS available that turned the spare SATA port for the optical bay into full speed SATA (granted, it's some crazy Russian guy's BIOS mod but I did a binary diff from the official firmware and didn't see anything suspicious in it).

The Xeons that these Microservers will accept are LGA1155, which are a few generations old. I'd have gotten one now for a lab server but my decision to get an E3-1230 rather than E3-1235 to save like $15 is kind of biting me pretty hard now. Having a random spare NAS around is pretty handy sometimes if you want to do some tiered storage at home. Separating my work related higher-performance VM storage from my lower-performance SLA-whats-that storage pools is making it likely better for me to have separate machines.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

necrobobsledder posted:

The N36/40L HP Microservers had a modded BIOS available that turned the spare SATA port for the optical bay into full speed SATA (granted, it's some crazy Russian guy's BIOS mod but I did a binary diff from the official firmware and didn't see anything suspicious in it).

Yeh I'm running that bios and it works well in my N36L. I run my OS disk on the optical port with no problems.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

frozenpeas posted:

The reason I ask is because the drives are already formatted to EXT4 using the Alt-F custom firmware. Isn't that the system that Synology reads too?

Sorry should have mentioned that.

I would be shocked if that makes any difference at all.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, I wanted to make my external hard drives internal and put them inside my PC case to improve their temperatures. Did that and they acted like they were unformatted drives. Plugged them back into their USB enclosures and everything is back to normal. I'm guessing these drives (Seagate and Toshiba) are encrypted? Any way I can get around this and make them internal without having to delete all of my data?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

89 posted:

So, I wanted to make my external hard drives internal and put them inside my PC case to improve their temperatures. Did that and they acted like they were unformatted drives. Plugged them back into their USB enclosures and everything is back to normal. I'm guessing these drives (Seagate and Toshiba) are encrypted? Any way I can get around this and make them internal without having to delete all of my data?

If you have no way to shuffle the data around to free one of them up at a time, then no. Not unless you keep the SATA<->USB bridge and plug them into internal USB ports (or redirect external ones back inside), which probably also requires you to continue using their power supplies unless they are bus-powered.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Anyone with the HP N40L / N52L / N36Ls know where to get the latest updated bios? Mine is out of warranty so of course that means I can't get bios updates which is retarded.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Bonobos posted:

Anyone with the HP N40L / N52L / N36Ls know where to get the latest updated bios? Mine is out of warranty so of course that means I can't get bios updates which is retarded.

http://www.xpenology.nl/hp-n40ln54l-bios-modificatie-2013-10-01/ - hit the english translation button and that tutorial will get you all set up.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Minty Swagger posted:

http://www.xpenology.nl/hp-n40ln54l-bios-modificatie-2013-10-01/ - hit the english translation button and that tutorial will get you all set up.

Thanks, is this the offical HP bios? that's the one I was looking for. Also, is the actual bios in english?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Oh no, its the hacked bios. You can ignore my post.

Yes the one I linked is in english. :)

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I just set up my NAS last night. Running ZFS raidz2 with eight disks over Samba on FreeBSD. I'm sharing to Windows machines. I have two issues I was looking for help on.

The first one is I seem to be missing 1.3 TiB and I don't know where it went. I have 8 4TB drives giving ~29TiB of raw storage. In RAIDZ2 I should expect to see 29 * 6/8 * 63/64 (for ZFS's reserved space), but that comes to ~21.3TiB (using the actual sector count * sector size from the drives) and the usable space, as reported by zfs list. I've looked around and I don't know where the difference between reality and my expectations came from. It's not off by an entire drive, and zpool list shows the correct raw storage, so I didn't screw up and create the pool with only seven disks.

The other issue is that Samba share gives much slower reads than expected, at least to my Windows machine, which is the primary consumer for this server. Writes are oddly fine, they give 100+MB/s on a gigabit network so as far as I can tell it's not a network issue. Reads give me 40-50MB/s which is acceptable but I if anything they should be faster and more stable than the writes. I'm copying to and from an SSD on my Windows machine, and I get 1GB/s + reads from the array when it's otherwise idle and I dd into /dev/null.

I haven't configured samba for performance, it has no options set other than basic security settings and sharing settings. After getting it working I copied and pasted some performance options from some places on the internet and only succeeded in making it worse, so I got rid of all those settings. Some of the tweaks I copied involved turning on AIO, but now that I'm checking again I may not have had AIO enabled in the kernel. I'll try again tonight but I thought I'd ask if there were any best practices/optimal settings for zfs+samba sharing to Windows 7.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 3, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Thinking about getting a ThinkServer TS440. Seems to have everything I could potentially want at the cost of size and paying extra for drive caddies for future expansion. Should I go down this road or should I still consider HP Microservers?

Anyone use either for NAS applications?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Desuwa posted:

The first one is I seem to be missing 1.3 TiB and I don't know where it went. I have 8 4TB drives giving ~29TiB of raw storage. In RAIDZ2 I should expect to see 29 * 6/8 * 63/64 (for ZFS's reserved space), but that comes to ~21.3TiB (using the actual sector count * sector size from the drives) and the usable space, as reported by zfs list. I've looked around and I don't know where the difference between reality and my expectations came from. It's not off by an entire drive, and zpool list shows the correct raw storage, so I didn't screw up and create the pool with only seven disks.

What is "zfs list" and "zpool list <pool>" actually displaying?

Desuwa posted:

The other issue is that Samba share gives much slower reads than expected, at least to my Windows machine, which is the primary consumer for this server. Writes are oddly fine, they give 100+MB/s on a gigabit network so as far as I can tell it's not a network issue. Reads give me 40-50MB/s which is acceptable but I if anything they should be faster and more stable than the writes. I'm copying to and from an SSD on my Windows machine, and I get 1GB/s + reads from the array when it's otherwise idle and I dd into /dev/null.

I haven't configured samba for performance, it has no options set other than basic security settings and sharing settings. After getting it working I copied and pasted some performance options from some places on the internet and only succeeded in making it worse, so I got rid of all those settings. Some of the tweaks I copied involved turning on AIO, but now that I'm checking again I may not have had AIO enabled in the kernel. I'll try again tonight but I thought I'd ask if there were any best practices/optimal settings for zfs+samba sharing to Windows 7.

I don't remember what kind of performance I had under FreeBSD, but under Linux, these are the settings I configured in smb.conf:

code:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536

max protocol = SMB2
I make no assertions that they are all necessary, or will work for you, but I can saturate the GbE link on both read and writes from my Windows machine (with a 1TB 840 EVO SSD).

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

GokieKS posted:

What is "zfs list" and "zpool list <pool>" actually displaying?

Here's the current output.

code:
% zpool list
NAME      SIZE  ALLOC   FREE   FRAG  EXPANDSZ    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
storage    29T  3.63T  25.4T     6%         -    12%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
% zfs list
NAME              USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
storage          2.59T  17.4T   205K  /storage
storage/backups   205K  17.4T   205K  /storage/backups
storage/home     96.6M  99.9G  96.6M  /home
storage/media    2.59T  17.4T  2.59T  /storage/media
There was no data (on the order of 200KB USED per dataset) when I ran them originally, and the sizes showed up as 20.0TB/29TB. Despite the performance concerns I've been copying media over to the drive for the last eight hours or so.

GokieKS posted:

I don't remember what kind of performance I had under FreeBSD, but under Linux, these are the settings I configured in smb.conf:

I make no assertions that they are all necessary, or will work for you, but I can saturate the GbE link on both read and writes from my Windows machine (with a 1TB 840 EVO SSD).

IPTOS_LOWDELAY and IPTOS_THROUGHPUT aren't among the ones I tried before, so I'll see if those have an effect.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
As you're using 4TB drives, I'm assuming your zpool was created with ashift=12, and looks like that can result in a substantial increase in overhead:

http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/ZFS-extra-space-overhead-for-ashift-12-vs-ashift-9-raidz2-pool-td5590057.html

But if you were down over 1TiB even when the pool was empty, that seems weird. But I notice that your /home is mounted on your zpool... is the OS installed on the zpool as well, or on a separate OS drive? If the former, then that would make more sense.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Thinking about getting a ThinkServer TS440. Seems to have everything I could potentially want at the cost of size and paying extra for drive caddies for future expansion. Should I go down this road or should I still consider HP Microservers?

Anyone use either for NAS applications?

Good choice. The TS140/440 have taken over from the HP Microserver as the go-to option for a pre-built home server/NAS.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

GokieKS posted:

As you're using 4TB drives, I'm assuming your zpool was created with ashift=12, and looks like that can result in a substantial increase in overhead:

http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/ZFS-extra-space-overhead-for-ashift-12-vs-ashift-9-raidz2-pool-td5590057.html

But if you were down over 1TiB even when the pool was empty, that seems weird. But I notice that your /home is mounted on your zpool... is the OS installed on the zpool as well, or on a separate OS drive? If the former, then that would make more sense.

I moved the home directory over there after pulling the 20.0 TB numbers; I got the 20.0TB numbers immediately after running zpool create and the first zfs creates. This is also why the USED + AVAIL adds up to 19.9TB instead of 20.0TB, since I set a 100GB quota on the home directory. The OS is installed to a UFS flash drive plugged into a header on the motherboard which I'll be backing up to my desktop once I have everything configured.

I wasn't aware of the increased overhead with ashift=12, and I didn't set it myself, thanks for pointing that out; I checked zdb | grep ashift and did see it was set to 12. If I go by the numbers posted there, with over three times as much overhead for 4K vs 512B, it roughly matches up with what I see.

I like having performance but ~1TiB is a large price to pay and this isn't a server where I'm overly worried about performance. Since I didn't delete my old copies of anything and there's not much in my home directory to worry about I'm going to try recreating the pool with ashift 9 to see what results I get.

e:typo

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 4, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Krailor posted:

Good choice. The TS140/440 have taken over from the HP Microserver as the go-to option for a pre-built home server/NAS.

Good enough for me. I'll pick one up when my performance bonus from work kicks in. Thanks.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Desuwa posted:

I like having performance but ~1TiB is a large price to pay and this isn't a server where I'm overly worried about performance. Since I didn't delete my old copies of anything and there's not much in my home directory to worry about I'm going to try recreating the pool with ashift 8 to see what results I get.

I assume it's just a typo, but make sure you're using ashift=9 and not 8. Here's another article by somebody who compared 512b to 4K alignment, and it does look like that's a pretty common issue of losing capacity to overhead with 4KB alightment: http://louwrentius.com/zfs-performance-and-capacity-impact-of-ashift9-on-4k-sector-drives.html

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Good enough for me. I'll pick one up when my performance bonus from work kicks in. Thanks.

They are both good machines, the TS440 is more roomy but they nickel and dime you for HD caddies. The TS140 is dead silent compared to the TS440.

I have both and not regretted buying them a single moment.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Krailor posted:

The reason that I still think Microservers are useful is that they're quite compact with relatively right-sized power supplies (granted, the newest ones went too high I think) while the Thinkservers are rather clunky traditional midtower cases.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

A lot of hacking at random settings eventually got me improved read speeds over samba. They're more or less on par with write speeds, though I think write speeds may have dropped. But I wasn't properly measuring them before making the changes, only using a file transfer tool that also reported speeds, so it's inconclusive.

Then I worked on seeing how well ashift=9 works. I had to use gnop to create virtual devices with 512b sectors because freebsd's zfs doesn't allow users to specify ashift, but I ended up getting a full extra TiB out of the deal. I expected a little more but it was a straight 5% increase in usable space, and is perfectly in line with what other people were seeing.

Before and after benchmarks:

This is biased in favour of the 512b sector zpool because it was completely empty, but I don't see significant differences. I manually ran the 4k test a few times, but this one that I remembered to screenshot was a fairly typical run. Performance over samba is more or less equivalent, and on the machine writing from /dev/zero and reading to /dev/null shows no alarming differences in speed.

Since the drop in performance appears so minimal I'm going to stick with the 512b sectors. Apparently this problem is limited to raidz1-3, so anyone doing raidz in settings where performance isn't the priority might want to consider 512b sectors.

e: Slowly getting this server configured. I was disheartened to see that nginx can serve files over HTTP at least as fast as samba over smb2 even after tweaking samba a lot. Nginx is often as much as ~5MB/s faster and is much more consistent, where samba can be really inconsistent, especially on reads. Trying smb3 gives me faster random reads and writes than smb2 but cuts a good 30MB/s off the sequential read speeds. It should be possible to tweak smb3 to give the best performance but I've given up on squeezing more out of this for now.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 5, 2015

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Generic Monk posted:

heard good things about the hp microservers - the newest model (gen8) seems to have an upgradable cpu and looks a little nicer, is there anything majorly wrong with it that I should know before I pull the trigger? would it also be possible to put a low end i3/xeon in it sometime in the future in case i wanted to do a plex transcode or two? without causing a house fire
Those are LGA 1155 processors (Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge), so they're a couple generations old. Because there's not a massive PSU or CPU heatsink to dissipate a thermonuclear reactor, you'll want to be careful to use lower power CPUs if you're going to replace it - keep it at 85 TDP or lower. Also, you'll want to use a CPU that has integrated GPU (don't pick Xeon models that end with 0) unless you've got room for a PCI-e graphics card in your planned setup. Other than that, Microservers are still great buys if you care about the space used up by your server.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any firsthand experience with a security webcam that plays nice with Synology boxes?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Smashing Link posted:

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with a security webcam that plays nice with Synology boxes?

I use the DS Surveillance app with my Foscam 8918W and it works great.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Smashing Link posted:

Open surveillance station and it has a massive list of ip cameras. most any Foscam/china ip cam will work.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'm having an odd issue I hope someone can help with.

My primary PC has a 128GB SSD and a pair of matching 1TB drives that are set up in a mirror RAID configuration (RAID-1). The other day anything I tried to access on the RAID array began coming very slowly. I've run chkdsk on the array, no error. Deep virus scans (just to be sure), no issues.

I can still access things on the drives, and some "areas" seem faster than others, but for the most part they are just painfully slow, to the point where it's unable to stream 1080p video content from the hard drives. Anything on the SSD is working fine.

Now, I should think this means that one of the two drives has gone bad, but not in a way that the RAID controller realizes. What are my options? Can I unplug one hard drive and then the other to try and narrow the issue down? Should I order a third drive?

I have a NAS coming in the mail with a pair of 2TB WD Red drives and I'm dreading attempting to copy everything since with these speeds it might take a week or more.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'd probably try pulling one disk at a time and seeing what happens. I'm guessing this is your motherboard's built-in "raid" function?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

DNova posted:

I'd probably try pulling one disk at a time and seeing what happens. I'm guessing this is your motherboard's built-in "raid" function?

Yeah, it is.

It did look like one of the drives takes longer to detect/spin up on startup so I wonder if the motor on it burned out or something.

Alright, I'll do that when I get home and see what happens.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Backblaze's latest hard drive data is out.

Oof those Seagate 3TB drives. At least their 4TB drives redeem them.

Anyone picking up Seagate's new 8TB archive hdds? They're finally available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QX0ZGO6/

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Ouch, available for about 40 more than they were mentioned at previously. I want to see real world performance on those things before I consider getting one. I don't mind slow rewrite speeds, but knowing just how slow would be really nice.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

DNova posted:

Yep, that did the trick. First one I pulled the BIOS told me there was a S.M.A.R.T. error and refused to boot. Disconnected that one, reconnected the other one, boots just fine and I can access all my data at full speed.

Phew.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
A question regarding sync'ing software, hopefully this is a good place to ask.

I'm a photographer and I do a majority of my editing in Lightroom on my desktop PC. My catalog is stored locally on my SSD, my previews (full-res jpegs) are stored locally on an HDD, and my raw files are all stored on my Synology 1513+ hardwired through a gigabit router.

This system has worked out pretty well for me so far, I used to be on a drobo, happy to be on the synology instead now.

What I've added to the mix to complicate things is that I've started also doing editing on my Macbook Pro w/ a secondary Lightroom catalog.

At the moment none of my photos/catalog on my Macbook are synced to my Synology. I only have a few months worth of photos on the macbook so far so it's not a ton a ton but I would love to find a syncing solution that I can schedule to sync both my PC desktop and Macbook catalogs to my Synology as well as all of the Raw files from my MBP to the Synology so I can periodically just delete old raw files from the MBP and re-link the catalog back to the folders on the NAS.

Can somebody please point me to a robust PC & Mac supported syncing software that I can automate this with? I realize of course that I would never want to have one of the catalogs opened in both locations at the same time but if I were ever to need to pick up editing on my PC from my Mac I would just manually shut down Lightroom to ensure I'm not confusing the catalogs. I'm alright with this workflow I think but would love to know if anybody has done this before and has any pointers for me.

Thanks for any advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

I know little of Mac's other than Time Machine backup is supported but for Windows freefilesync utility (http://www.freefilesync.org/) has been rock solid for me for copying my local HDD to Synology (I copy My Documents to Synology about 20GB of files, and Crashplan that to cloud along with some larger music archives kept only on the Synology).