Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AOT is a meat mech story disguised as a zombie story, not the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhUgsPn3hyI

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
wait, I'm confused. Is Chie using maneuver gear to kill titans or just her galactic punt?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

I sort of started snoring when I saw "Consumerist capitalist society," you'll have to forgive me.

C'mon, it's not like Dawn of the Dead is subtle about it.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

AOT is a meat mech story disguised as a zombie story, not the other way around.

Don't forget the mystery element. Zombie stories are about everything that makes you human getting turned into a mindless unthinking husk who goes on to hurt the people and things you care about.

Titans have those elements, but they're not dead nor mindlessly consuming people. The person inside probably doesn't want to kill people- but they do want to go back to being a human being. While a zombie is about taking everything that makes you human away, titans have a transhuman spin on it. It's probably why we've had such focus on the titan-shifters after the first act in an effort to further move away from the zombie story.

Attack on Titan is really a genre busting story. There is a zombie story in there but it doesn't define it, I think.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 25, 2015

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

How to tell if your teacher is a manga fan.

That doesn't preclude being an anime only plebian.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wish my teacher were cool enough to figure out my anime pictures in school.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

My math teacher was gohan.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Beef Waifu posted:

You have to become that teacher. It is your anime destiny.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
please do not encourage adtrw posters to interact with children

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

please do not encourage adtrw posters to interact with children

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How dare you call me an ADTRW poster.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
With your knowledge of quality 'mé you could be a good teacher...perhaps even a Great Teacher

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There's more to that Armin drawing post...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Say Nothing posted:

There's more to that Armin drawing post...

:captainpop:

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm a 7th grade science teacher. Some of my students have worn AoT gear to school but I have yet to comment on it. Sadly, I haven't seen any drawings so far :(

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

AlistairCookie posted:

I've been getting a bit of a Claymore vibe off of Titan, as of late. As in, we're about to see something analogous to Claymore's big reveal about the world at large, beyond their island, the greater war, the truth of the Yoma [Titans] and Claymores/Awakened Beings [Shifter Titans], the Organization's [Reiss family's] true motivations.

I'm not sure what's coming exactly, but I'm pretty curious as to what the Big Reveal actually will be. Weaponized humans gone awry?

I'm personally thinking maybe that the Wall people are on Mars or some other planet, not Earth, based on the deciphering people did of the text on the inside of the manga covers. The Walls and titans serve as cover for the actual dome that covers their country, among other things. It would also explain the genetic bottleneck, since not many people would have access to spaceships. As for the outside world, I'm pretty sure it's still ticking, because there needs to be something the Wallists are so willing to die for.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Beef Waifu posted:

There is no serious zombie story with a zombie that gets into an actual fist fight with any of the characters. I'm not even circle jerking AoT so much as making GBS threads on the zombie genre.

Versus wasn't a comedy, even if it was over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2deKPVhGQQ

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Versus was a masterpiece the likes of which we rarely see in film.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darko posted:

Versus wasn't a comedy, even if it was over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2deKPVhGQQ

Thank you for showing me this.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Kenny's diatribe against Rod is basically painting the picture that he's a man who wanted to escape from his responsibilities. He was the head of the family. He had his younger brother and daughter take the responsibility of becoming the true king in his place.

Rod says there is a reason he can't turn into a titan.

I doubt Reiss' words would have meant poo poo to Kenny had he not pulled the knife from his mouth with his bare hand to say them. What he said could easily be a lie, but doing that actually showed Kenny's assessment of him to be flawed.

It's unlikely that Eren will be eaten. There are too many questions related to his father's actions and Frieda's interest in him (which predates Eren gaining the titan's power). I actually wouldn't be shocked if Reiss were lying about why Frieda got eaten- he said she was just too inexperienced with her abilities, but she was evidently working with Eren's dad and had plans for Eren as well. Also he can literally just tell her to stand down and wait for them to cure her, so it's not like it would be hard to contain her without killing her.

Having to pick himself up after resigning himself to death will be interesting. He's let other people tell him what to do for quite awhile now, and the joke awhile back about how he "can't get hard" was pretty on the nose. He went from burning passion to impotence and now basically wants to just give up and die. If this fight isn't Isayama setting him up to grow some balls, I don't know what is. Hopefully his next action will be to tell Levi or whoever tries to give him orders that if he doesn't want him to go to the basement, they can feel free to be a snack along the way.

Also, the chance that Reiss is telling the whole truth is approximately 0%. Kenny was certainly right about his using Historia, and he no doubt believes he can manipulate her, or control her in some way which he also controlled Frieda. There's also Monkey Trouble, the other Shifters, and various hints that the Reiss' (or humanity) may have stolen the titan's power outside of the picture he has painted.

I agree that Eren could be related to the Reiss. Most likely one of his parents was another Reiss bastard. If they really made an effort to control the Reiss bloodline, they must have killed a lot of babies, because the idea that Rod was the first Reiss to have a bastard child would be the least plausible element in the series so far. Perhaps someday, we will invent a way to create something like the titans, but a family of aristocrats who don't abuse their power to gently caress everything in sight is something that will never happen short of humanity completely rewiring our own brains.

(come to think of it, the Survey Corp were ridiculously cagey with Eren to keep a low profile while they actually had the royal family by the balls. Even not knowing his power well, there wasn't a single thing able to stop him within the walls if he had the agency and independence to direct himself, or was even just pointed at an objective and told to kill anything that looked at him funny).

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 26, 2015

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Jean's main line to Eren at the beginning of this arc was "All these people have died themselves to save you, its up to you to decide if it was in vain or not". I'm sure next chapter will be him swooping down to give Eren a quick pep-talk.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Man, some poor Titan's going to get a really unsatisfying snack.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Darth Walrus posted:

Man, some poor Titan's going to get a really unsatisfying snack.

The most accurate cosplay.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Spoilers are out apparently.

Don't know much at the moment other than Historia owns

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

:ohdear: it's happening I think.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She's gonna eat her dad.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is Eren becoming an Armored Titan?

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
i'm dropping this if connie dies

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

AfterFather posted:

Is Eren becoming an Armored Titan?

Yeah. He crushes a serum labeled "Armored" in his mouth. It's powerup time.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 6, 2015

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I was looking at the raw. I can't read it but, uh, so what happened at the end of the last chapter? It doesn't match up with what happens in this one at all. Am I just crazy? (Nevermind I looked at it again.)

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

When can we expect the translation to be out?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Rather where is this "raw". Because usually these raws turn out to be Chinese translations.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

genericnick posted:

Rather where is this "raw". Because usually these raws turn out to be Chinese translations.

Raw implies it's in an untranslated state for the reader.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Raw implies it's in an untranslated state for the reader.

People have been calling the Chinese translations "raw" because they can't tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese writing

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

translation: http://reiner--braun.tumblr.com/post/110167583204/shingeki-no-kyojin-66-text-translation

:aaaaa:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Couldn't take the wait any longer and just read it.

Here we loving go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

:suspense:

Just when I think one thing is going to happen, bam, curveball flying in at 190 mph.