Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Austrian Mook is 22 years old and his opinions about Tingle are sincere and unironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
my mind crossed 'austrian' and 'unironic' and I read it as 'unautistic'

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ometeotl posted:

Really not a fan of that light blue they used for FD Link.

But it's the same color they used in the original.

Austrian mook posted:

Letting you use the final transformation mask anywhere other than the "improved" boss fights and fishing hole nobody asked for? Too much work

I don't think you realize that they'd have to add dialogue that doesn't exist to all of the NPCs in the world. The game's programmed so that every NPC has a different interaction depending on your form or whatever mask you're wearing. They're nothing scripted for Fierce Deity in the original game (hence why it crashes when you try to talk to people) so they'd have to add all that poo poo in.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

But it's the same color they used in the original.

I don't think you realize that they'd have to add dialogue that doesn't exist to all of the NPCs in the world. The game's programmed so that every NPC has a different interaction depending on your form or whatever mask you're wearing. They're nothing scripted for Fierce Deity in the original game (hence why it crashes when you try to talk to people) so they'd have to add all that poo poo in.

They're remaking a game in an already developed engine where most of the concepts, dialog, and game design have existed for 15 years.

There are probably good reasons for why you can't go Fierce Deity anywhere (his height being like twice Young Link's causing him to clip through low hanging stuff could be a factor), but "they'd have to make dialog!" is a lazy argument.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://zeldawiki.org/Characters_in_Majora%27s_Mask - if this is comprehensive, there are just over 100 speaking characters. You could sit down in a group of two writers and bash out 100 new variations on "oh my! what a fearsome looking man you are!" or some poo poo in an afternoon.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It probably wouldn't, but simple things like this get left on the cutting room floor because someone deems it's not worth the time or effort.

It's a shame though, because getting that mask doesn't let you do anything cool so it would of been awesome to just run around talking to everyone and maybe getting some back story on who you even are.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Electromax posted:

They should've made it on 3DS so each time you start a new cycle you can see your previous run playing out like a Mario kart ghost and you have to catch and kill him before he gets to an NPC if you want events to happen differently.

Super Time Force-esque Majora's Mask? Please take my money.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's not right to walk about town in fierce diety form.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Fierce Deity is reserved for the Hyrule Warriors battlefield, and mopping the floor with Majora.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
And fishing

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Well the Fierce Deity is a big fish in a little pond so it's appropriate!

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
As I am sure a lot of people are doing, I have been trying to go through every Zelda game since the last fall in preparation for the Wii U release this upcoming fall. I am about to wrap up Wind Waker tonight (which I have thoroughly enjoyed on my first play through) and I was looking to see if anyone had any suggestions for which game(s) to pick up next.

Since I have started, these are the games I have played through:

Ocarina of Time 3DS
A Link Between Times
Legend of Zelda
Wind Waker

So obviously, I have still got quite a alot of games to go through. I will be picking up Majora's Mask next week, but I'm not sure if I want to start it right away. Right now, the top titles I am looking at are:

Skyward Sword (have only ever played through the first dungeon)
The Minish Cap (never played)
A Link to the Past (last played through the beginning of 2013)
Twilight Princess (last played through the end of 2012)
Majora's Mask (played about half of it back in 2001)

So does anyone have any suggestions on which to start with (I am also open to starting with any other Zelda games, those were just my top five. I have really enjoyed the last bit of Wind Waker because I was collecting Tri Force Shards and just exploring all the islands in depth. I will be playing through all the games anyway, just wanted to hear some thoughts on where to go next after enjoying Wind Waker so much.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Go ahead and play Majora since it's topical.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
The Oracles games are good and fun for portable, Majora's Mask is really great on console and is also getting a 3ds version in like a week.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Havoc904 posted:

As I am sure a lot of people are doing, I have been trying to go through every Zelda game since the last fall in preparation for the Wii U release this upcoming fall. I am about to wrap up Wind Waker tonight (which I have thoroughly enjoyed on my first play through) and I was looking to see if anyone had any suggestions for which game(s) to pick up next.

Since I have started, these are the games I have played through:

Ocarina of Time 3DS
A Link Between Times
Legend of Zelda
Wind Waker

So obviously, I have still got quite a alot of games to go through. I will be picking up Majora's Mask next week, but I'm not sure if I want to start it right away. Right now, the top titles I am looking at are:

Skyward Sword (have only ever played through the first dungeon)
The Minish Cap (never played)
A Link to the Past (last played through the beginning of 2013)
Twilight Princess (last played through the end of 2012)
Majora's Mask (played about half of it back in 2001)

So does anyone have any suggestions on which to start with (I am also open to starting with any other Zelda games, those were just my top five. I have really enjoyed the last bit of Wind Waker because I was collecting Tri Force Shards and just exploring all the islands in depth. I will be playing through all the games anyway, just wanted to hear some thoughts on where to go next after enjoying Wind Waker so much.

Go with Skyward Sword. Just stick with the controls and know that small wrist flicks work.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A Link Between Times

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

mabels big day posted:

A Link Between Times

There is a lot of Linking/Ocarina-ing between Times going on in Legend of Zelda games, I can see how it gets confusing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Go with Minish Cap. You haven't played it yet and it's good.

Since you have a 3DS, you might want to hold out for Majora's Mask until you can get your hands on the 3DS version.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Minish Cap. It's neat.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

uh

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/02/06/legend-of-zelda-netflix-series/

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Oh man, that link is great

quote:

about an ordinary boy named Link who must rescue a princess named Zelda and save a fantasy world called Hyrule, said a person familiar with the matter.

Ah, yes, the famous source, "a person familiar with the matter". Almost as well known as "some guy, y'know".

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

who will play groose?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Netflix is describing it as “Game of Thrones” for a family audience, this person said.

Excuse me, princess?

Later on, they compare it with LotR which makes way more sense. I mean, Zelda doesn't usually include bloody politics.

quote:

As it is still seeking a writer to work on the series, Netflix has a long road to travel before a “Legend of Zelda” series actually becomes a reality. It’s also possible that Netflix or Nintendo will kill the project before it gets off the ground.

Well, then.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Zelda can barely carry a story as a video game half the time

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
This series better have a bunch of tributes to Zelda ubernerd Robin Williams who probably would have wanted a part in this so hard.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Soon enough there will be debates about where this show fits in the timeline.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

quote:

Netflix is describing it as “Game of Thrones” for a family audience, this person said.

You know nothing, Groose.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jsor posted:

This series better have a bunch of tributes to Zelda ubernerd Robin Williams who probably would have wanted a part in this so hard.
Maybe Zelda could get in on it instead?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
This sounds terrible. Fantasy hero saves the princess is not a very good TV show concept, it'll end up being Zelda in name only. There will be a bad guy named Ganon, hero named Link, Girl named Zelda, some weird guy named Tingle...It sounds dumb.

I hope they go full bore and make it a show that has nothing to do with the series. Zelda as Breaking Bad & The Wire. Link is a kid growing up in the streets of the rough Hyrule Neighborhood, but he's a smart kid who wants to sell his drug Triforce to people. But he's gotta handle the Queen of the block who controls everything named Zelda who constantly imparts her wisdom on poo poo like a Mafia don and this other young rival, Links former friend Ganon, who everyone nicknamed "Dorf".

wait gently caress did I just write fanfiction

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Febreeze posted:

wait gently caress did I just write fanfiction

well the show is apparently looking for a writer so go ahead and submit it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Febreeze posted:

This sounds terrible. Fantasy hero saves the princess is not a very good TV show concept

Fantasy hero acts as an errand boy for the princess while the evil wizard works to undermine the king sounds like a workable concept

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Nihilarian posted:

Maybe Zelda could get in on it instead?

There is an obvious joke to be made in this casting choice.

That said, probably gonna be mildly suspicious of this news - if its even legit, its clearly at a point where things are just being hashed out, given how vague and basic the info is. As if just explaining to the Netflix execs what the franchise is even about.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The big mistake would be to go with a generic medieval aesthetic. Zelda is the series where the ancient goddesses built meso-american tron temples so I don't want to see mucky Scottish castles and jousting.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
It said family friendly game of thrones so think more along the lines of Narnia or something in TV format

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Jsor posted:

Tingle going through five different accents/personas in one improvised riff... What could've been....

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

That or they go full idiot and make it 1. Cyberpunk or 2. Steampunk

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Just make it so Link and Zelda are high schoolers and Ganon is the principal. Zelda gets framed and sent to detention and Link has to clear her name, all while they deal with the usual ~*high school drama*~ that American Netflix audiences can relate to. Maybe toss in, I dunno, Orlando Bloom as Link or something.

Or follow Marvel's lead and make it the prequel series to Zelda U with cross-platform media synergy - final episode airs leading up to midnight launch

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Goofs

In the third episode, an entire 12 minutes is dedicated to solving an incredibly complex block-pushing/water level changing puzzle, but Link does not actually correctly solve the puzzle before opening the door in the Water Temple and moving on

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Skeezy posted:

That or they go full idiot and make it 1. Cyberpunk or 2. Steampunk

So a Twilight Princess or Spirit Tracks adaptation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
At least it won't be a CW teen drama (that we know of)?

• Locked thread