Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Any tips for RE2? I just beat RE and this game seems a lot harsher. I've made it to the station but the hallways are SWARMING with zombies. Shooting them all seems like a bad idea and it seems impossible to dodge them without doing the get bitten/shove them routine.

Also, I didn't expect lickers to show up that early!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you have the shotgun wade into the middle, aim up and you'll take out two or three zombies with one shot. You can get away with killing a lot more stuff than you might think.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Or, if you're playing as Claire, try and avoid areas with 4 or more zombies until you have the grenade launcher, then use it when they're clumped up.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Any tips for RE2? I just beat RE and this game seems a lot harsher. I've made it to the station but the hallways are SWARMING with zombies. Shooting them all seems like a bad idea and it seems impossible to dodge them without doing the get bitten/shove them routine.

RE2 has a LOT more ammo than RE1/REmake thankfully, but some of it is kind of well hidden. Check everywhere, particularly dead bodies (not zombies). Your handgun won't see any use in the later game, so feel free to use it to take out zombies, particularly the ones in tight hallways like you mentioned. I played the game and killed most zombies and did fine. Dodging is great and all but not usually necessary in RE2.

Lickers are blind and sense you by sound. If you walk rather than run, you can sometimes get the drop on them – either to get past them or to fight. When you're walking, if you get too close they'll tense up and stand up. If you don't disturb them they'll relax and you might be able to keep going. They hit hard and they hit fast, so they're only worth fighting if you're properly equipped – shooting them with the handgun is more dangerous then running.

I've plugged it a few times, but evilresource.com is great if you want an interactive map to identify where Capcom decided to hide shotgun shells or whatever.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Another good tip is to try NOT to fight lickers at medium range. Short range is fine, long range is fine. Fight them at medium and they will hit you with a nasty, NASTY leaping slash attack. Two hits from it can pretty much take you out instantly.

... I learned this the hard way by going into that late-game room with two lickers and pissing them both off at the same time.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Is there a safe strategy for fighting Hunters in RE1? It seems that sometimes I'll open a door and, whoops your head is gone, do they have a tell so that you can get the gently caress out of the way?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aces High posted:

Is there a safe strategy for fighting Hunters in RE1? It seems that sometimes I'll open a door and, whoops your head is gone, do they have a tell so that you can get the gently caress out of the way?

Yeah, the tell is being anywhere loving near you.

gently caress hunters.

That's what magnum/grenade launcher rounds are for.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Renoistic posted:

If internet speed runs have taught me anything, acting cautious and smart in an RE game makes it much harder. It's like they're designed to created difficulty based on your natural instincts in a tense/horror situation. Go in guns blazing and ignore everything you possibly can and you'll break the games.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks for the RE2 tips! I'll start using my guns more.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How to get a good start in RE2: Get all the ammo you can before you get to the police station, and don't use any ammo at all before you get to the police station. Incidentally, this is also how you unlock costumes. If you managed to do this, there'll be a new zombie outside of the station who will drop a key for you.

I personally suggest starting with Leon.

edit: Was going off memory, my mistake!

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 7, 2015

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How to get a good start in RE2: Get all the ammo you can before you get to the police station, and don't use any ammo at all before you get to the police station. Incidentally, this is also how you unlock costumes. If you managed to do this, there'll be a new zombie outside of the station who will drop a key for you.

I personally suggest starting with Leon.

Actually, you have to not pick anything up on your way to the Police Station to get that special zombie to show up. He also has like twice as much health as your usual zombie, so if he's there, you might want to go raid the station proper and come back for him later.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Lurdiak posted:

If internet speed runs have taught me anything, acting cautious and smart in an RE game makes it much harder. It's like they're designed to created difficulty based on your natural instincts in a tense/horror situation. Go in guns blazing and ignore everything you possibly can and you'll break the games.

This is honestly true of most survival horror games I've played. Rushing headlong into danger like a jackass proves remarkably effective in games of this nature.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Smirking_Serpent posted:

RE2 has a LOT more ammo than RE1/REmake thankfully, but some of it is kind of well hidden. Check everywhere, particularly dead bodies (not zombies). Your handgun won't see any use in the later game, so feel free to use it to take out zombies, particularly the ones in tight hallways like you mentioned. I played the game and killed most zombies and did fine. Dodging is great and all but not usually necessary in RE2.

Lickers are blind and sense you by sound. If you walk rather than run, you can sometimes get the drop on them – either to get past them or to fight. When you're walking, if you get too close they'll tense up and stand up. If you don't disturb them they'll relax and you might be able to keep going. They hit hard and they hit fast, so they're only worth fighting if you're properly equipped – shooting them with the handgun is more dangerous then running.

I've plugged it a few times, but evilresource.com is great if you want an interactive map to identify where Capcom decided to hide shotgun shells or whatever.

RE2 has WAY more ammo than necessary, hell, I even completed a no-shotgun run (only use the knife, handgun and magnum) under like 2 hours.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

This is honestly true of most survival horror games I've played. Rushing headlong into danger like a jackass proves remarkably effective in games of this nature.

It's kind of genius to me. The game knows you're not going to do that because you're too tense. So they design the combat around you being a scared weenie.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Revelations 2 Complete Edition is on sale again, and slightly better than last time.

Log in on GMG then click this link to be taken to the VIP page, where you can nab it for $30.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, the tell is being anywhere loving near you.

gently caress hunters.

That's what magnum/grenade launcher rounds are for.

Basically. If you're lucky they might tense up before they pounce, or start making weird throat noises, but they're fuckers.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

WitchFetish posted:

RE2 has WAY more ammo than necessary, hell, I even completed a no-shotgun run (only use the knife, handgun and magnum) under like 2 hours.

I think that was true for 3 as well, by the end of the game you have something like over 300 handgun bullets just from pick-ups (not counting reloaded casings). That's on top of the fact that you'll have more than enough of the ammo from the other guns that you never need to fall back on your handgun.

The actual "survival" part seems to come from the amount of healing items (or instant-kill or two-hit kill enemies), but even then you seem to get just enough to feel like you're scraping by when you're totally fine.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

King Vidiot posted:

I think that was true for 3 as well, by the end of the game you have something like over 300 handgun bullets just from pick-ups (not counting reloaded casings). That's on top of the fact that you'll have more than enough of the ammo from the other guns that you never need to fall back on your handgun.

The actual "survival" part seems to come from the amount of healing items (or instant-kill or two-hit kill enemies), but even then you seem to get just enough to feel like you're scraping by when you're totally fine.

3 also had the abusable dodge mechanic AND ammo creation, not to mention a number of areas you never return to with streets to dodge zombies in

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Anybody still play RE6 Mercs?

I still find it enjoyable, although I can never find any players online anymore.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

General Morden posted:

Anybody still play RE6 Mercs?

I still find it enjoyable, although I can never find any players online anymore.

There's a steam group specifically for RE6 and its DLC multiplayer modes, so you're in luck!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/re6mp

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

WitchFetish posted:

Isn't this because of the zapping system, so if you pick up everything playing the leon A scenario there will be much less to be found when you play the claire B scenario.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Ryoga posted:

Isn't this because of the zapping system, so if you pick up everything playing the leon A scenario there will be much less to be found when you play the claire B scenario.

I think that only affects the sidepack/submachine gun in the police station.

I love the idea of a Remake where you have to consider that though. The zapping system was cool but never used to it's full potential, like having to solve the same puzzles in both scenarios and the like.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Spalec posted:

I think that only affects the sidepack/submachine gun in the police station.

I love the idea of a Remake where you have to consider that though. The zapping system was cool but never used to it's full potential, like having to solve the same puzzles in both scenarios and the like.

The B game should have any solved puzzles solved and then the A game character meets B and just bitches about all the obtuse bullshit. B meanwhile is just like "Thanks :smug:"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ryoga posted:

There's like a grand total of two places where this actually effects anything. Maybe not even two.

Scenario B actually gets more ammo if you're any good at taking out Mr. X.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 8, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I love all the ammo is Resident Evil 2. Sometimes you just want to go hog wild and destroy all the zombies. I did enjoy not picking up ammo on Normal so I could get the Colt for Claire, that gun was all kinds of cool.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Len posted:

The B game should have any solved puzzles solved and then the A game character meets B and just bitches about all the obtuse bullshit. B meanwhile is just like "Thanks :smug:"

i was hoping this would be the case in revelations 1 when chris lands on the ship and barrels through it killing everything in sight, effectively condensing the 3~ hours of gameplay as jill you just played into about 10 minutes

i mean it basically is except for the dumb 'he's on another ship for no reason' twist

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So this may be old news but someone remade RE2 in unreal using the assets from Darkside Chronicles and it's pretty drat impressive. However, the real meat is in the videos of the game playing using RE4 gameplay and my god I wish this was a thing! A shame this'll never get a public release.

On a separate note, I want to give Revelations a try but I'm not sure what version to go with (3DS or PS3). Is the PS3 port a big improvement? The thought of a portable Resident Evil is tempting so long as it controls well and the extras in the PS3 port aren't major.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Capcom, you might wanna do stuff like REmaster more often. REmaster is the fastest selling digital game Capcom's ever released and had the largest day one sales of a game ever on the PlayStation Network.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Seriously, just give that youtube guy a small team and all access to any HD assets and he'll probably crank out Re2make for less money than squeenix pays for their Kickstarter advertisement campaigns.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Capcom, you might wanna do stuff like REmaster more often. REmaster is the fastest selling digital game Capcom's ever released and had the largest day one sales of a game ever on the PlayStation Network.

Maybe Capcom might get a hint from this but, then again, this is Capcom. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Awesome Welles posted:

Maybe Capcom might get a hint from this but, then again, this is Capcom. :(

'Wow, imagine how much money we'd have made if we shoved some DLC in there!'

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Fereydun posted:

i was hoping this would be the case in revelations 1 when chris lands on the ship and barrels through it killing everything in sight, effectively condensing the 3~ hours of gameplay as jill you just played into about 10 minutes

i mean it basically is except for the dumb 'he's on another ship for no reason' twist

It always bugs me a little how various NPCs get ahead of you in these games. "Bitch I had to fight a bunch of fire-breathing steel dragons to grab this stone piece from an undisturbed chest to open this door, HOW THE HELL did you get in here before me?" It's a common videogame trope, but every RE game has a lot of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlliedBiscuit posted:

It always bugs me a little how various NPCs get ahead of you in these games. "Bitch I had to fight a bunch of fire-breathing steel dragons to grab this stone piece from an undisturbed chest to open this door, HOW THE HELL did you get in here before me?" It's a common videogame trope, but every RE game has a lot of it.

They're solving their own puzzles based off Ada's scenarios in other games.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

'Wow, imagine how much money we'd have made if we shoved some DLC in there!'

Could have made good money putting this back in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJBpQYr-Dh0

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I like to rationalize it as all the NPCs are jumping in and out of the item boxes, something our heroes NEVER think of trying.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Awesome Welles posted:

Could have made good money putting this back in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJBpQYr-Dh0

Hahaha, holy poo poo why would they ever cancel such a marvelous weapon?

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

SettingSun posted:

I like to rationalize it as all the NPCs are jumping in and out of the item boxes, something our heroes NEVER think of trying.

Or they move like real people and just climb over walls and fences blocking their path. "Oh no, a seven foot wall, I'll never be able to pass over that." "I would take shortcut through the woods, but this hillside is like, a 7% grade, too much for me. Guess I'll have to retrieve the crystal ball from beyond the lake with the giant man-eating fish."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Hey, Wesker had to shoot those 2 bees.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

therealjon_ posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo why would they ever cancel such a marvelous weapon?

It seems pretty nonsensical in-as-much as it doesn't really mesh with the rest of the game and it just kind of makes the environment sizzle and smoke instead of doing damage (for obvious reasons).

I guess Capcom doesn't like rolling with the silliness the way the Silent Hill team did. In SH3 you could turn Heather into a Magical Sailor Girl with a magical rod that fires energy beams. It even goes into a wacky cutscene where she "powers up".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Okay Capcom REmake HD did good. Now you gotta make my HD Dino Crisis duology remake.