Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Is that craftsman one a rebadge for the Kastar kit? It's like 20 bux cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Commodore_64 posted:

Is that craftsman one a rebadge for the Kastar kit? It's like 20 bux cheaper.

Yes. It's also sold under Snap On, Matco, Mac, and several other brands.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm still working on getting those goggles in the uk for a reasonable price, my wife will kill me if order 50 pairs right? :haw:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

I'm still working on getting those goggles in the uk for a reasonable price, my wife will kill me if order 50 pairs right? :haw:

I think you can order a sample from Georg Schmerler:

http://www.georg-schmerler.de/modell-717-mn.html?info=Modell%20717%20MN-aus-Korbbrillen&merkl=%27%27

"Musterbestellung" means "Sample order", and it puts the product in the form on the "Kontakt" page.

E: Of course, it doesn't allow you to specify a country, so it's probably Germany-only :(

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 4, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

No worries, I think I'll abuse my work email and translation services and see how far that takes me.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Carbon steel taps are almost worse than not having any taps. They are less likely to break in the hole, but they dull too fast and end up cutting really lovely threads.

Buy a tap and drill index and fill it as needed.High speed steel, H4(D5 in metric) or lower, uncoated/bright is fine. They're more expensive, but they'll last longer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Has anyone checked out the Kirkland branded tool chests at Costco?

I was eyeing it the other day and it seems pretty nice. Not nearly as nice as my Snap-on of course, but still worth considering.
Does anyone have an opinion on them? My snap-on is too full and I need to spread out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Has anyone checked out the Kirkland branded tool chests at Costco?

I was eyeing it the other day and it seems pretty nice. Not nearly as nice as my Snap-on of course, but still worth considering.
Does anyone have an opinion on them? My snap-on is too full and I need to spread out.

I never really knew what to look for to compare tool chests until I read this review: http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153445

I thought the one at Costco looked pretty good when I checked it out last time. I liked the crackle finish, but I didn't like the latches on every drawer.

If you do buy it, I would recommend mounting a mirror to the underside of that lid so that you can easily see what's laying in the back of that top shelf.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I looked at that last time I was in and honestly everything seemed pretty flimsy and jerky. And that's coming from a dude with a lovely Craftsman top and bottom and a $20 Husky midbox. Visually it looks like rebadged Homak or Kobalt, but with a lower grade of materials used in every aspect of the build.

loving shame because I really like that lockable pocket cabinet, perfect place for wallet/phone/etc.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Those nifty feit shop lights are on extra sale right now at costco @ 32 dollars, but I'll have to drive two hours round trip to pick up a few. Anyone bought some of them yet? I'm wondering how many i will need for my 1.5 car garage.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

StormDrain posted:

I never really knew what to look for to compare tool chests until I read this review: http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153445

I thought the one at Costco looked pretty good when I checked it out last time. I liked the crackle finish, but I didn't like the latches on every drawer.

If you do buy it, I would recommend mounting a mirror to the underside of that lid so that you can easily see what's laying in the back of that top shelf.

I was thinking about screwing a computer monitor to the lid and having my laptop in the top connected to it. Wireless keyboard, etc... but then I don't know if the lifters can support that weight
The door on the right seems pretty useless. It's too small for a welding helmet and too short to even put cans of wd-40 in.
I think it might also be too narrow to hide my soldering station, which would probably remain on the workbench anyway.

Other than that, I like the drawer sizes and number of separate drawers.
I already have my snapon with full length drawers for the majority of my stuff. I really just want another toolbox to store stuff I don't need to use often, like my plumbing tools.
I agree that the drawers feel a bit flimsy, but as a result, the top unit only weighs like 150lbs (according to shipping weight on the box) so it makes it fairly easy to shuffle around safely.

The wheels and casters and handles all seem really solid and move easily. The wheel locks are snappy, strong, and easy to use which is a big plus if this thing needs to get scooted around frequently.

Still... I just don't know. I'm probably more inclined to spend $800 on another used snap-on bottom, just for the extra work surface

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

BraveUlysses posted:

Those nifty feit shop lights are on extra sale right now at costco @ 32 dollars, but I'll have to drive two hours round trip to pick up a few. Anyone bought some of them yet? I'm wondering how many i will need for my 1.5 car garage.

Do those lights require hard wiring into a junction box or do they just plug in to a normal outlet?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
plug into a normal outlet

i guess I need to factor in that my garage ceiling is fairly high

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You can always lop the end off and treat it like a hardwire, or drop an outlet into the junction box*

*I'm sure Motronic will probably be along shortly to explain if this is a massive code violation :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can always lop the end off and treat it like a hardwire, or drop an outlet into the junction box*

*I'm sure Motronic will probably be along shortly to explain if this is a massive code violation :v:

Oh, I'll show you some code violations when I can take some pics this evening. PO of this house let their dumbfuck "contractor" brother make a whole slew of piss poor electrical work, including a 220 breaker box that was installed w/o permit, because it's clearly not up to code.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm reasonably certain with proper cable used (SJOOW or SOOW, please) and proper strain relief (a rubber gland style cable clamp NOT under tension, with the cable supported by one of these cable support grips) what you describe would be perfectly legal.

Make sure you use proper conductor bonding practices as well, typical "wire nuts" are not designed to be used on fine stranded wire.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

kastein posted:

I'm reasonably certain with proper cable used (SJOOW or SOOW, please) and proper strain relief (a rubber gland style cable clamp NOT under tension, with the cable supported by one of these cable support grips) what you describe would be perfectly legal.

Make sure you use proper conductor bonding practices as well, typical "wire nuts" are not designed to be used on fine stranded wire.

Yes, I find these sorts of grips extremely pleasing for some strange reason. http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...in_Relief_Grips

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

That's the way to do it and make it code compliant.

You just can't lop the plug off and stick it in a box secured by a romex nut. The ones Commodore_64 linked are the typical way to do that because you get strain relief and a box nut all in one.

That's also a great way to make "drop outlets" from the ceiling.

It's also possible that if the lights are set up right you can detach the entire cord from the housing and run romex in (if it's set up like a proper box).

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
So let's assume these have a 1' pigtail with a 3 prong connector.
Would it be legal for me to remove my existing ceiling fixture and replace it with a 2 outlet socket, then run an extension cord across my garage ceiling to the pigtail? The ceiling is drywalled.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Not really since strictly speaking extension cords are not for permanent installations, just temporary usages. Just relocate the outlet, Romex and work/junction boxes are dirt cheap.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I agree that the drawers feel a bit flimsy, but as a result, the top unit only weighs like 150lbs (according to shipping weight on the box) so it makes it fairly easy to shuffle around safely.

This is only relevant until tools start going in it. After that, caster bearing quality is all that matters. :colbert:

Seriously, though, it feels like the shameful cheapie tall box at Harbor Freight that everyone advises against. Do you have a Northern Tool down there? There's one in Fredericksburg now and they have several Homak boxes on display; those are what made my firm decision to get the HF box (the good one I mean) turn into a dilemma. I don't think the CostCo box was much cheaper IIRC.

I'll buy you lunch if you come up on a sunday or monday (my days off). :hfive:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

I went to buy 30 last night and they are sold out, from every store in a 100 mile radius. They got two pallets per store in earlier this week and were sold out by opening the next day. Apparently in our area, the depo ordered 100,000 units and I should try again in a week- but to call first!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
These torque stick things are handy to have so you can reinstall tires with your impact driver, right?
http://www.harborfreight.com/12in-drive-torque-limiting-extension-bar-set-10pc-69870.html

If anyone knows where I can find individual ones that'd be awesome since I don't think I need a huge set for my two vehicles.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Amazon and other online vendors sell them individually for around 30 bucks. Otherwise tool truck.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Parts Kit posted:

These torque stick things are handy to have so you can reinstall tires with your impact driver, right?

They are awesome. But your air pressure needs to be set right and you need to check that at the rattlegun and double check with a torque wrench in that setup to make sure.

Once all of that is done and you know where to set you compressor you can pretty much never worry about the torque wrench again for lug nuts. Totally worth it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The craftsman elbow ratcheting box wrenches are awesome but this is the second time I have nuked the elbow lock in the 19mm one in under 15 minutes. I think they just can't handle the kind of force you need to put on a 19mm fastener.

The rest work just like you would expect.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

I think they just can't handle the kind of force you need to put on a 19mm fastener.

Or an 18 or a 13. :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I guess it is probably only a matter of time till I break them all then, drat it. I wanted to like these. Guess I should plan on returning them before sears goes belly up and get something I don't have yet from gearwrench.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

MRC48B posted:

Amazon and other online vendors sell them individually for around 30 bucks. Otherwise tool truck.

Motronic posted:

They are awesome. But your air pressure needs to be set right and you need to check that at the rattlegun and double check with a torque wrench in that setup to make sure.

Once all of that is done and you know where to set you compressor you can pretty much never worry about the torque wrench again for lug nuts. Totally worth it.
Rad. I'll have to snag one then.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
We tend to use the torque sticks as a "close enough" tool, then torque wrench the rest of the way. By my experience, the 50 ft-lb sticks will vary from 50-70 depending on the gun setting/pressure and how many hits you put them on with. We're supposed to start them 3-5 turns by hand, torque stick them until the wheel is "tight", then lower until the wheels touch the ground and torque wrench to spec. I'd never use them as my sole torquing device, but they do come in handy when you're rushing through a vehicle with all 4 wheels off.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Fun Shoe
Just discovered that there's a place a few minutes from where I work that sells some decent tools. Picking up a standard and metric set of Wiha T-handle hex dealies tomorrow! I'll pay more to support local but they were actually cheaper than on Amazon. And apparently since I live in Missouri I didn't have to pay sales tax with my online order either. Sweet deal!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Splizwarf posted:

This is only relevant until tools start going in it. After that, caster bearing quality is all that matters. :colbert:

Seriously, though, it feels like the shameful cheapie tall box at Harbor Freight that everyone advises against. Do you have a Northern Tool down there? There's one in Fredericksburg now and they have several Homak boxes on display; those are what made my firm decision to get the HF box (the good one I mean) turn into a dilemma. I don't think the CostCo box was much cheaper IIRC.

I'll buy you lunch if you come up on a sunday or monday (my days off). :hfive:

I miss you. We do need to hang out again.
I'm moving back to NOVA soon so what is is RVA is really a moot point.

I'm content to just keep my eyes peeled and take my time shopping around. I do love how this thread chews on toolbox fodder though. Keep it up.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

fknlo posted:

Just discovered that there's a place a few minutes from where I work that sells some decent tools. Picking up a standard and metric set of Wiha T-handle hex dealies tomorrow! I'll pay more to support local but they were actually cheaper than on Amazon. And apparently since I live in Missouri I didn't have to pay sales tax with my online order either. Sweet deal!

Share a business name, KC friend.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

EKDS5k posted:

According to the instruction manual, they are manufactured by Georg Schmerler GmbH & Co.

Thank you! Been trying to find that manufacturer for ages.

EDIT:

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 9, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

Share a business name, KC friend.

KC Tool. They carry Knipex, Wera, Wiha, etc... Didn't think I'd be able to find any of that stuff locally.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
NASA has a 3D printer on the space station. They have used it to make tools!
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/3Dratchet_wrench/

And you can print your own NASA wrench! The files are here.
http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/wrench-mis

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

It ocurred to me the other day that truck brands should start offering custom or modular tool services.

want a double end wrench with a flex head racheting box in 17mm on one end, and a flare nut in 19mm on the other? :homebrew:

Want a 3/8" rachet with a phillips screwdriver on the other end? :homebrew:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

MRC48B posted:

It ocurred to me the other day that truck brands should start offering custom or modular tool services.

want a double end wrench with a flex head racheting box in 17mm on one end, and a flare nut in 19mm on the other? :homebrew:

Want a 3/8" rachet with a phillips screwdriver on the other end? :homebrew:

I work for one of the companies power tool devisions. We do this all the time. But as you said :10bux:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Picked up the 3/8" Harbor Freight clicker torque wrench to do my spark plugs. I know how to calibrate it and was going to use two new gallon jugs of water (16.68 lb) as my calibration weight, my plug torque is 17 +/2 2 ft-lb so it should work well enough for that job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Found this in a tool box i bought on CL

What is it?