Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i did my arms yesterday and got a vaccination in each arm today so i'm going to have a fun weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

I'm starting to think that people in the media might have told lies about the Iraq War.

What if this is an elaborate performance piece by Williams? Like I said, he should go full gonzo.

CT goons, why does your state have jagged borders on all the green highway signs?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

McDowell posted:

What if this is an elaborate performance piece by Williams? Like I said, he should go full gonzo.

Brian Williams has apologized for his repeated false claims, admitting that his debilitating Ibogaine addiction had resulted in the hallucinations. He then opened fire on the NBC camera with a magnum revolver, screaming about gila monsters.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Crain posted:

Any context for this?

Equine Don is a bona fide boss

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
My environmental lit class is full of people complaining about all of our readings being hippy bullshit. I'm beginning to think it's going to be real easy to beat the class average.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Cool, just made myself some ghetto rear end sushi.

Surprisingly good.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

dog ownership needs to be better regulated

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Berke Negri posted:

And Kennel Clubs seriously need to reigned in.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess my point is is that if your political philosophy leads you to the conclusion that necrophilia is ok maybe you should rethink your assumptions.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

ban kennel clubs, ban breeding, require training + licensing for all dog adoptions with a mandatory set probationary period with an assigned case worker, set cap on total dogs allowed that rises with income

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

if you need a license to drive a car you should require a license to be put in charge of the livelihood of another living thing

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Now swap "Dog" with "guns" and let's start this fight :getin:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

dog ownership in this country is fundamentally broken and i think it is time to start a frank and open dialogue about it in the public square

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i really want a dog

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dunno if anybody else was into these games, but I've just been informed that not only has the first Rogue Squadron been released on GOG, but the newest builds of the Dolphin emulator now have 2 & 3 fully playable. Can't confirm myself but omg I cant wait to get home.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Joementum posted:

what the gently caress world am i living in :dogbutton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmac71R5Br8

jesus christ

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Do you have a license to carry?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Joementum posted:

what the gently caress world am i living in :dogbutton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmac71R5Br8

jesus christ

Honestly this ad seems hilariously effective. I'd actually like to see this level of campaign ad in the states.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Crain posted:

Honestly this ad seems hilariously effective. I'd actually like to see this level of campaign ad in the states.
Yeah, that's genius. I mean I dislike Bibi as much as the next sane person, but that's a brilliant ad.

Berke Negri posted:

Falls under the topic of "Don't even get me started!" Here's another rule:

If you're lonely, dog ownership is forbidden.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
^it's real unsophisticated but the fact they think they can get away with that kind of messaging in 2015 is p. scary

a guy in the taylor gbswift thread made this terrible low effort hitler rant parody, but it really makes me uncomfortable in a profound yet entirely unintentional way???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhk0RJ6Hv-A

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Exclamation Marx posted:

^it's real unsophisticated
People who don't work in marketing ITT.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

no american voter is naive enough to be swayed by ads that try to humanize a politician

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Shear Modulus posted:

no american voter is naive enough to be swayed by ads that try to humanize a politician
From the country where "Would like to have a beer with..." is a poll tested question.

Keep going, guys.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i'm not sure, but people who work in marketing should probably be somewhere in the top ten of professions first against the wall.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Berke Negri posted:

dog ownership in this country is fundamentally broken and i think it is time to start a frank and open dialogue about it in the public square

If she had had dog this wouldn't have happened.

site posted:

Dunno if anybody else was into these games, but I've just been informed that not only has the first Rogue Squadron been released on GOG, but the newest builds of the Dolphin emulator now have 2 & 3 fully playable. Can't confirm myself but omg I cant wait to get home.

Never much got into the Rogue Squadron games, myself, both because I didn't like the gameplay style and I couldn't stand flying for the Rebels.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

im sitting in one of the worst talks ive ever been to in a university

oh god he unironcally said internet of things

scale to get to critical mass

disruption

this was supposed to be an academic talk but i already won buzzword bingo

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

is this one of those subjects you're going to act smugly superior about, reindeerf? like the filthy and low nature of the non-european/american savages?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Berke Negri posted:

if you need a license to drive a car you should require a license to be put in charge of the livelihood of another living thing

Just today I was thinking about how people should be required to take classes and be licensed before they can have kids :getin:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

R. Mute posted:

i'm not sure, but people who work in marketing should probably be somewhere in the top ten of professions first against the wall.
You can search back ten years in this forum and find me saying that my profession should be first against the wall, after attorneys, finance, accounting, management consulting and a few others.

Of course I demand to be executed by people with a profession, so you'll have to stay in your basement!

until the Americans come, like usual

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

disruption

What's the subject?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

You can search back ten years in this forum and find me saying that my profession should be first against the wall, after attorneys, finance, accounting, management consulting and a few others.

Of course I demand to be executed by people with a profession, so you'll have to stay in your basement!

until the Americans come, like usual
really reaching for those sick burns, aren't you? well, keep at it

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Don't hide angry.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i'm not sure what that means

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

disruption

do you go to the same university as eripsa

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Crain posted:

What's the subject?

it was billed as something academic about ad hoc communications networks but its just turned into a pitch of a startup

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

do you go to the same university as eripsa

i dont know.

it is one of the ones that is most susceptible to this yes

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

R. Mute posted:

i'm not sure what that means
That's the beauty of it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

i dont know.

it is one of the ones that is most susceptible to this yes

so you go to stanford is what you're telling me

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

That's the beauty of it.
huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Methodists are the second largest protestant denomination in the US. They split off from the Church of England because they didn't do enough to help the poor and were generally a bunch of stuffy old dudes who took the wrongs things too seriously. The Wesley Bros founded the Methodist movement, but the split didn't occur until the Methodists started ordaining their own priests in America, rather than waiting around for the Anglicans to do it. This makes Methodists the second most American group after the Mormons. Because they inherited their organizational structure from the Anglicans, Methodists are far more organized than Baptists. There are about 40 Methodist denominations in the US, and they all associate with each other, rather than being petty dicks (Baptists).

The real core of Methodism is Wesleyanism/Arminianism, the belief that everyone has an obligation to accept Jesus and be saved. This is a straight up rejection of Calvinism and predestination, being saved requires a conscious exercise of free will.This gets a bunch of Calvinists riled up and then you get accusations of heresy thrown around a whole bunch but it doesn't matter because all protestants are heretics anyways. The idea is that we all are born with sin, but God gave us free will to do our best to reject that sin, which we can do by accepting the grace of Jesus. Methodists embrace the Godhead and believe in the consubstantiatiality of Jesus, the idea that God is composed of Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit but is also only one being, and that Jesus is both mortal and divine simultaneously.

Other core tenets:
- Two sacraments, consisting of baptism and communion
- You can baptize babies, but not dead people
- Communion is open to everyone, is metaphorical, and it is cool if you do it like once every 3 months. They also serve grape juice instead of wine.
- Bishops appoint priests, you don't just get to declare yourself one

The United Methodist Church is the largest Methodist Church, and is the result of a series of mergers. They are so big on mergers that they are constantly opening dialogues and exploring further mergers with literally everyone they can find. They are pretty mainline and are are pretty much what someone is talking about when they say that they are Methodist. They lean pretty darn right, opposing homosexuality and abortion, but feel that the death penalty is something only to be used in extreme cases.

The three big African-American Methodist churches are the African Methodist Episcopal Church, the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, and the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, all of these will probably be assimilated into the UMC at some point in the future.

The Congregational Methodist Church is in the deep south, and are normal Methodists that don't like bishops telling them who can preach.

The First Congregational Methodist Church split from the CMC when they decided that the CMC was too liberal and that they should hate gays more.

There are smaller groups, like the Calvinist Methodists who I have no loving clue how they work because the two straight up do not get along theologically but whatever floats their boat I guess. Don't talk to them because you will just end up with a headache.

Next up: Presbyterians and Pentacostalists

• Locked thread