Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
We can only hope it's half as memorable as the live-action Mario movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It will be like game of thrones in the same manner, because nerds will become insufferable about it very quickly.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So basically watch it but don't read the thread?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Did anyone else watch Allegiance?

It was pretty meh, had some okay moments. Don't get all the comparisons to it being like The Americans other than "Russian family secretly spies" angle.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

The lesson here is that threads invariably turn against genre shows.

The Whedon thread is still positive. Smaller shows, like the Booth At The End, are consistently positive. Its just people want to focus on other people being lovely. Seems like a waste of time, to me.

EDIT: Shouldn't Zelda be a cartoon? It fits the tone (I haven't played any of the games after the N64 one).

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 7, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Sober posted:

Did anyone else watch Allegiance?

It was pretty meh, had some okay moments. Don't get all the comparisons to it being like The Americans other than "Russian family secretly spies" angle.

Watching it now. It feels a lot like "Let's get the jump on The Americans and their turn Paige into a spy storyline" coupled with an occasionally-too-cheery soundtrack.

I'm willing to give it a couple more episodes, but it feels like something FX could do much better at right out of the gate than NBC. The last NBC show I really, really enjoyed was a show I first saw on TNT because they'd cancelled it and TNT picked it up out of the half-off bin (Southland).

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 7, 2015

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

One thing in Zelda's favor is a ton of incredible music.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

Watching it now. It feels a lot like "Let's get the jump on The Americans and their turn Paige into a spy storyline" coupled with an occasionally-too-cheery soundtrack.
I dunno, the premise doesn't seem like someone intentionally ripped off The Americans as much as it likely just is a good way to mine drama (spycraft + family = oodles of it). I genuinely think the way the characters are set up is a great idea, but I'll have to see more if they can do anything interesting with it other than just the broad strokes that they painted. There is some really weird tone deafness going on, where it wants to almost want to go goofy at times, and then it's serious car chase and there's upbeat elevator music as someone is walking past an army of federal agents in an underground interrogation setup.

Also just the drastic overuse of chryrons, like actually supposed to be so confusing where people are or you don't feel like preserving a single shred of mystery for even half a scene to something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Helix continues to be such a loving weird show. Like in this week's episode during the 30 years into the future timeline Hiroshi went fishing with his imaginary dead adopted son and during the fishing montage they played the Andy Griffith theme.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: Shouldn't Zelda be a cartoon? It fits the tone (I haven't played any of the games after the N64 one).

Because nothing can top the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG6FM_X8I3c

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Shageletic posted:

Netflix is clearly gunning for a Game of Thrones-type show, and the idea here is they could build Zelda into something like that. The one obvious difference being that instead of a set story like GoT's, Zelda is pretty malleable outside of involving Zelda, Link, and probably Ganondorf. So in theory they could hire a good writer to flesh out a story. If this show is ever actually produced. Who knows?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They only need to lock a big star for Ganondorf; each season can have a different Link and Zelda, or even rotate between Links and Zeldas to tell a story spanning eras. It'll be easy to tell them all apart because the Links and Zeldas will vary in genders and ethnicities.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Sober posted:

It's a great idea.

It's likely going to be a mediocre show at best.

Welll excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The only way I see a Legend of Zelda show being good is if Sam Raimi is behind it and they basically just re-release Legend of the Seeker.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It got lost in the previous discussion of genre shows, but Banshee has been absolutely slaying it in its last season, and could count as one of those shows that never has a bad episode.

Sober posted:

The only way I see a Legend of Zelda show being good is if Sam Raimi is behind it and they basically just re-release Legend of the Seeker.

The internet is going to lose their mind with the cast is announced and when stills from the production are released. I'd like to know who's writing the story or if they're just going to adapt one of the games. Each season corresponding to a different game and have a different cast(aside from Link, Zelda, and Ganon) like True Detective could potentially make for some innovative TV but I doubt that'll happen.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

It got lost in the previous discussion of genre shows, but Banshee has been absolutely slaying it in its last season, and could count as one of those shows that never has a bad episode.

This is the final season of Banshee?

Booo.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Manos del Sino posted:

This is the final season of Banshee?

Booo.

They haven't ordered a 4th season yet, but it's Cinemax's new signature show now that Strike Back is on its way out. If this was the last ride, there'd be more fanfare. I think pentyne just meant "this current season."

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Fooz posted:

One thing in Zelda's favor is a ton of incredible music.

Hence the Netflix series will be a musical, like Glee and Galavant.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
ABC is reviving Battlebots

http://gizmodo.com/battlebots-is-back-after-ten-years-and-its-bound-to-be-1684321001

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I wish the BBC would revive Robot Wars. :allears:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

DivisionPost posted:

They haven't ordered a 4th season yet, but it's Cinemax's new signature show now that Strike Back is on its way out. If this was the last ride, there'd be more fanfare. I think pentyne just meant "this current season."

Speaking of Strike Back....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLSr0dg-u9c

Is it now common to use drones to get cameras into the middle of the action ? This is the first time I've seen such a drone used in TV or movie filming.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

CeeJee posted:

This is the first time I've seen such a drone used in TV or movie filming.

Two recurring characters in Alpha House are actual drones

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Finally, something to fill the hole in my life of "wedge-shaped RC cars idly ramming into one another until one stops working" that I've been missing since the original went off the air.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Catching up with my HBO subscription. Looking still holds up, as great comedy/drama. Togetherness is bunk. No want.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Catching up with my HBO subscription. Looking still holds up, as great comedy/drama. Togetherness is bunk. No want.

You didn't even like the Tom Sawyer air-drumming?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Shageletic posted:

My opinion on both is the exact opposite of yours.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ariza posted:

My opinion on both is the exact opposite of yours.

GET OUT

Eh, might as well state reasons. Togetherness, at least from the first ep I watched, has no characters that I particularly like, the main thing a pilot is supposed to provide. From the first frame, its about how miserable these people are, and the unrealistic dialogue and situations they use to communicate it. Amanda Peets (who I think is great) is borderline insane, the husband (Duplass, another person I like, is given nothing interesting here) and the wife (who I've seen pop up everywhere), are doing the most cliche sitcom thing imaginable. Oh, they'd rather masturbate than actually have sex?! How surprising!

The sad sack fat guy who's down on his luck and underappreciated even though he has a heart of gold and constantly knows exactly what to do while given the show's best comedic lines makes think he's the creator/creators avatars or something. Anyway, plenty of good things on TV, nothing there for me to come back for.

Unlike Looking. Maybe it's because I saw the whole first season at once, but I think its going through some interesting twists/turns on the maturing urban dweller genre. I like the main character, from the first moment of him giggling his way through a ridiculous encounter, and I like the dialogue and relatively lax plotting in the eps I've seen. Its a world that hasn't really been portrayed on TV without dwelling into stereotypes and melodrama, and more than anything, I want each and everyone of these characters to succeed (with maybe the exception of the artist friend, maybe a purposeful point). I can see some intelligence riding behind this thing.

Also, the music is dope.

savinhill posted:

You didn't even like the Tom Sawyer air-drumming?

Shrug.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Finally, something to fill the hole in my life of "wedge-shaped RC cars idly ramming into one another until one stops working" that I've been missing since the original went off the air.

Sometimes the spinning ones are cool

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember seeing a few episodes of the British robot fighting show and it was terrible. All the robots barely did anything and just kind of nudged each other. At least the US version had those wedge flippers that threw robots 20 feet into the air.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I imagine it's gotten at least a little bit easier/cheaper to design and build a robot in the last decade so I'm hoping for some cool designs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PostNouveau posted:

Sometimes the spinning ones are cool

Until they face a wedge.

Any dumb robot fighting show that allows wedges is going to be boring garbage. Also spinny things for that matter. You might as well just let people strap a brick of C4 to an RC car.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

I remember seeing a few episodes of the British robot fighting show and it was terrible. All the robots barely did anything and just kind of nudged each other. At least the US version had those wedge flippers that threw robots 20 feet into the air.

This one is pretty fun.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

VDay posted:

I imagine it's gotten at least a little bit easier/cheaper to design and build a robot in the last decade so I'm hoping for some cool designs.

Not really, those kinds of parts are still expensive.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

You might as well just let people strap a brick of C4 to an RC car.

Like, one robot is just a moving chasis with a giant blast shield on the front and C4 on the other side of the blast shield? Yeah, that would be awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

Until they face a wedge.

Any dumb robot fighting show that allows wedges is going to be boring garbage. Also spinny things for that matter. You might as well just let people strap a brick of C4 to an RC car.

The problem with robot fighting is that practical beats cool looking.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Like, one robot is just a moving chasis with a giant blast shield on the front and C4 on the other side of the blast shield? Yeah, that would be awesome.

Two legged androids v. giant spider machines. We have the technology.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Unlike Looking. Maybe it's because I saw the whole first season at once, but I think its going through some interesting twists/turns on the maturing urban dweller genre. I like the main character, from the first moment of him giggling his way through a ridiculous encounter, and I like the dialogue and relatively lax plotting in the eps I've seen. Its a world that hasn't really been portrayed on TV without dwelling into stereotypes and melodrama, and more than anything, I want each and everyone of these characters to succeed (with maybe the exception of the artist friend, maybe a purposeful point). I can see some intelligence riding behind this thing.

I watched a few episodes of this show and it just seemed sorta dull to me. I thought it was supposed to be a comedy though so that coulda messed with my expectations.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

savinhill posted:

I watched a few episodes of this show and it just seemed sorta dull to me. I thought it was supposed to be a comedy though so that coulda messed with my expectations.

Its a dramedy like Girls, which means it's not funny nor a good drama

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Just because a show is 30 minutes doesn't mean it has to be a comedy or a "dramedy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this? posted:

The problem with robot fighting is that practical beats cool looking.

Yeah, I know, and from a purely competitive standpoint yeah, it makes sense to just do that. But iirc they disallowed projectile weapons before, it doesn't seem like banning instant win designs like wedges would be a problem. It's not fun to watch Sportsball City Team come out to try to score a home field basket and the other team has 4 technicals driving around the endfield.

• Locked thread