Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mastering VMware vSphere 6 will be released on April 6 and is available for pre-order.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-VMware-vSphere-Nick-Marshall/dp/1118925157/ref=zg_bsnr_3740_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Ozu posted:

Mastering VMware vSphere 6 will be released on April 6 and is available for pre-order.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-VMware-vSphere-Nick-Marshall/dp/1118925157/ref=zg_bsnr_3740_1

Anyone know if there's going to be an upgrade-oriented book for those who already have VCP5-DCV? It seems like there's no upgrade exam a la 70-417 to bring 2k8 MCSAs to 2k12, so I'm just hoping to not have to re-study an entire book to glean the new info alone.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Inspector_666 posted:

Without knowing what he wants to do, there's no way to recommend any type of cert. The most general you could go would be like, Sec+ maybe, since it's a baseline req for so many government positions in the US and is vendor-neutral?

He says he wants to do server admin, so really the only way he can go is Linux or Windows?

Its weird how it varies so much across the pond, I have an A+ and N+ but here in the UK they're not even worth listing on your CV once you're out of desktop support, and I've never seen any CompTIA certs mentioned as a requirement in any job ad ever. Only once that I can recall have I seen a job ad saying like "oh an A+ would be nice"

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 4, 2015

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Security+ does get mentioned in UK jobs ads, and I know of some large UK non-IT companies that require all of their IT staff to do it.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
It must be a rare thing, I've worked in large companies and ones requiring government security clearance before and never even heard it mentioned. I did a little jobsearch for security+ and there are 3 jobs in the entire of the UK mentioning it, vs 450 in the US.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

The simple answer to this question is 'No', but here's my more complicated opinion.

There's only so much time in the day, and as most people progress in their IT career they tend to start specializing a bit in certain areas. Someone with multiple certifications spanning several disciplines would make an eyebrow raise, but that's about it. I would question what kind of position they were really looking for. Nothing wrong with gaining lots of entry level certs, it helps validate you have some good experience, but someone who has the time to be a current CCNP, MCSE, and VCP, either they're trying to collect certs like Pokemons or have zero life outside of work. A junior level person with some entry level Microsoft certs, a CCENT, and an A+ would actually show a really solid IT foundation to grow on.

A note about certifications: To me certifications mean you know how to study and pass a test, and have a reasonable knowledge of the subject matter being tested. They don't prove to me that you know how to deal with real world production IT at all. Certifications are a compliment to your professional work experience, not a replacement. The sauteed onions and mushrooms topping your ribeye steak of experience. A well rounded candidate has formal education, certifications, and good work experience. 2 out of 3 ain't bad either though.

Makes good sense - thanks to you and the others for replying back.

In reality, I'm in no danger of approaching levels like you're describing. I only have A+, Network+, and my 70-680 right now (though I'm scheduled to take my 70-685 Friday for MCSA: Win 7), and for the rest of the year I'm hoping for Security+ and CCNA. Maybe one of the MCSA Server 2008 exams if I'm lucky. So if nothing else I think like you said, I'll continue getting all the foundation-level certs I can, until I start leaning toward one specialty or another. And while I confess I do have a small desire to collect certs like they're Pokemons, my actual life (five month-old, wife, desire to have fun some times, and other good things like that) would be preventing that anyway.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ahdinko posted:

It must be a rare thing, I've worked in large companies and ones requiring government security clearance before and never even heard it mentioned. I did a little jobsearch for security+ and there are 3 jobs in the entire of the UK mentioning it, vs 450 in the US.

The US Department of Defense has a policy requiring a Security+ for anyone touching anything from the wall jack and on back, which is why there's such a disparity. I wouldn't be surprised if MoD and the other Five Eyes countries weren't too far off from implementing something similar.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ahdinko posted:

He says he wants to do server admin, so really the only way he can go is Linux or Windows?

Oh whoops, I missed that edited in line :downs:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
So far I'm blowing through the Net+ exam guide but the section on using binary to calculate subnets made me want to stab myself.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

So far I'm blowing through the Net+ exam guide but the section on using binary to calculate subnets made me want to stab myself.

I dont know how anyone stands to do it by hand like that writing out the whole IP address and subnet in binary. Magic number has always been my go to method. Felt so much better once I learned that system and really sped up the whole learning process for me.

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
I'm fairly experienced in a variety of technical areas, kind of a like jack of all trades (probably going a bit too far there), but master of none. I know a decent amount about a lot of different areas. My question is should I bother with the MTA before jumping into MSCA? Should I get ALL of the (IT Infrastructure) MTA certs? Also, should I try to get multiple MSCA certs, or just the latest for Windows Server 2012? What about Windows 8? My ultimate goal is to become a "Corporate IT Systems Administrator", or something along those lines. Currently I'm an "Operations Systems Manager".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TheEffect fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 5, 2015

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

TheEffect posted:

My question is should I bother with the MTA before jumping into MSCA? Should I get ALL of the (IT Infrastructure) MTA certs? Also, should I try to get multiple MSCA certs, or just the latest for Windows Server 2012? What about Windows 8? My ultimate goal is to become a "Corporate IT Systems Administrator", or something along those lines. Currently I'm an "Operations Systems Manager".
God no. If you're interested in being a server infrastructure administrator, focus on the MCSA 2012/MCSE: Server Infrastructure and then RHCSA/RHCE. Or flip the order if you want.

This is obviously role dependent but OS agnosticism is far more valuable in the sysadmin resumes I get than any of the specialization certs like Win 8 or Lync. Large organizations tend to be more silo'd in their technical skillsets so you'll have a linux team and a Citrix team and a Windows team, etc... but being able to work competently on multiple OS's is going to get you far more interviews and offers. Be flexible.

The Interpolator
Jan 20, 2004
Unorigional Bastard
Regarding the ITIL Foundations exam: any difference between ISEB and EXIN?

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013

Ozu posted:

God no. If you're interested in being a server infrastructure administrator, focus on the MCSA 2012/MCSE: Server Infrastructure and then RHCSA/RHCE. Or flip the order if you want.

This is obviously role dependent but OS agnosticism is far more valuable in the sysadmin resumes I get than any of the specialization certs like Win 8 or Lync. Large organizations tend to be more silo'd in their technical skillsets so you'll have a linux team and a Citrix team and a Windows team, etc... but being able to work competently on multiple OS's is going to get you far more interviews and offers. Be flexible.

Good info, thank you sir!

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Forgot to post this, as I was also in the first week of a new job when I took it, but passed the CISSP. Guess it's the to knock down the CISA and OSCP and be a real security guru.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
My work will pay for my Installer/Service Technician certs and any you see here https://www.jonesncti.com/c-39-senior-master-technician-smt.aspx

The thing is... I'm jumping from tech support for service tech. After service tech (service tech works from tap to customer) is maintenance tech (works from tap to head end). Does anyone have experience with moving up in IT at an ISP? Apparently I need to be a maintenance Technician before I can even hope to become a network technician. Apparently I need to have hands on experience with the HFC network before I can work on the head end and do networking type things.

Has anyone else heard of this? Today, for example, the amp burnt out at the tap, so a new amp be had to set up and splice a power over coax connecter via an underground drop. How does this apply to the networking career stream?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

GiveUpNed posted:

Apparently I need to be a maintenance Technician before I can even hope to become a network technician. Apparently I need to have hands on experience with the HFC network before I can work on the head end and do networking type things.

If it is networking type things you are interested in, why are you angling for working in a headend instead of a NOC?

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Sub Rosa posted:

If it is networking type things you are interested in, why are you angling for working in a headend instead of a NOC?

The people that work in the NOC are essentially Tech Support Tier 3. Sure they do a lot of other things as well, but they don't actually work on the routing of our network. The Network Technicians work on the head end, switches, and routing equipment.

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
In my org the NOC is responsible for communicating product/service/whatever outages to the appropriate support groups and getting the resolvers (the actual techs) all on a command call in order to restore service as fast as possible. They don't do any of the work themselves aside from monitoring and reporting. I could be wrong but I thought most NOCs were like this, but obviously it'll depend on the organization.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

TheEffect posted:

In my org the NOC is responsible for communicating product/service/whatever outages to the appropriate support groups and getting the resolvers (the actual techs) all on a command call in order to restore service as fast as possible. They don't do any of the work themselves aside from monitoring and reporting. I could be wrong but I thought most NOCs were like this, but obviously it'll depend on the organization.

Yup, this is how my branch works.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Nope, one of you two is gonna need to change your avatar.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That's the new "Stupid Newbie" avatar.

:ssh:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Bring back the baby

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Inspector_666 posted:

That's the new "Stupid Newbie" avatar.

:ssh:
Ohhhhhhhhhh!

For content: Certs.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Just passed icnd1 with 854 score needed 804. Thank you for the advice and encouragement I've been given in this thread!

The power went out halfway through the exam which threw me off a bit but there was nothing I wasn't prepared for on the exam.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Failed my 70-685 yesterday. I definitely took it earlier than I would've otherwise cause of the Second Chance thing, but I was pretty close. Rescheduled for two weeks out, reading through the book and redoing all the exercises. Not too worried, but I wish I was done with this one. Kinda tired of studying Win 7.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

what did the graph say you failed on?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

incoherent posted:

what did the graph say you failed on?

Managing and Maintaining Systems that Run Windows 7 Client, and Identifying Cause of and Resolving Desktop Application Issues.

Worst 3 were 1.3, Solve software failure escalations, 2.1, Solve enterprise logon Issues, and 2.2, Solve enterprise network connectivity issues.

Kinda just did scattershot across the whole test, really. :sigh:

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ZZ Pops is all about hugs and high fives.
Haven't kept up with this thread in a while but I finally got around to taking the AWS Certified Solutions Architect exam.

I don't have much to compare it to as I've only taken VMware and Microsoft tests before this, but I found the AWS exam to be the best. By the best, I mean if you work with it daily, you are going to be able to nail the troubleshooting aspects. They are asking you questions that you should know the answer to because you need to know the answer to these questions to effectively use their service and properly design scalable and fault tolerant cloud infrastructure.

No memorizing configuration maximums or anything like that.

They expire, but with how quickly AWS adds new features and upgrades their services, this is one of those certs I feel like should expire.

The exam blueprint and amazon docs are pretty dry, so i'd recommend using the free AWS account along with some video training. A dude over in reddit/r/aws just made a udemy course and is selling it for only $19 until the end of Feb https://www.udemy.com/aws-certified-solutions-architect-associate-2015/?couponCode=February-S%40le1

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

RHCSA/RHCE Red Hat Linux Certification Study Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams EX200 & EX300)

There's a Sept 15 2015 release expected :smith:

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
How are the Jones NCTI courses? My company requires me to take them and is willing to reimburse their cost to me. The Installer cert shouldn't be difficult, but it's certs such as Return Path Operations that might be tough.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Is this the place to post questions about the CISSP, or is there a dedicated thread for those?

I'm curious as to whether or not there's a difficulty gap between the Shon Harris brick and the actual exam. I'd also like to know if there's any sort of testing software floating around for purchase. I have a Total testers packet, but it's so riddled with errors and glitches it's nearly unusable.
Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 9, 2015

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't touched Cisco in 5 years since college, remember fragments / general flow, failed the CCNA when it comes to the logistical stuff (Boot strap process, IOS Filename breakdown, FCS length in a packet), and kind of need to get the gently caress out my current job.

I'm interested in the CBT Nuggets as that sounds up my alley. The $99/month offer is reasonable for me, but are the labs offered enough to pass the exam? Do I need to take supplemental material with it? Honestly I'm just aiming for CENT right now.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Books (read)+ CBT (execution) + HomeLab (implement).

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Mayor McCheese posted:

I haven't touched Cisco in 5 years since college, remember fragments / general flow, failed the CCNA when it comes to the logistical stuff (Boot strap process, IOS Filename breakdown, FCS length in a packet), and kind of need to get the gently caress out my current job.

I'm interested in the CBT Nuggets as that sounds up my alley. The $99/month offer is reasonable for me, but are the labs offered enough to pass the exam? Do I need to take supplemental material with it? Honestly I'm just aiming for CENT right now.

There's also the lab book(s) that Cisco puts out that I found useful, at least.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've been doing well on the Network+ exam guide chapter quizzes, got 97% on the included practice test but with the Pearson website practice quizzes I'm getting my rear end handed to me so badly I feel like my brain is broken.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been doing well on the Network+ exam guide chapter quizzes, got 97% on the included practice test but with the Pearson website practice quizzes I'm getting my rear end handed to me so badly I feel like my brain is broken.

I did all the practice questions in this book and passed with an 891. I don't think I used any other resources but it's been almost 3 years at this point.

Now I get to worry about passing the ICND-1 :(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I went through the Pearson website OSI test again and screenshotted each question and my answer. After I scored a horrible 70% I went back to check all of my answers. One of the first it marked incorrect was correct. The two sub-layers of Layer 2 are logical link control and media access control. I have no idea what they think the correct answer is. It's also wrong about the terminology for connection-oriented vs. connectionless protocols. I'm not going to bother checking the rest. Thought I was going crazy!

EDIT: I'm going to check out that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Ozu posted:

I wonder why Scott Lowe's not involved with this version. Hope the new one will be as good. Speaking of new exams, has anyone taken the VCP6-Cloud exam? I did the recommended training last week, but there doesn't seem to be any additional material out there for the new exam version.