Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Now this dashing gentleman looks proper fast. Too bad we'll never know who this mystery man is so we can give him a seat in F1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

CratSock posted:

Now this dashing gentleman looks proper fast. Too bad we'll never know who this mystery man is so we can give him a seat in F1.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
two mates ghost riding

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

El Hefe posted:

two mates ghost riding

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Wirth1000 posted:

The single most obnoxious poo poo about F1 fans are the whole 'Let them race! Save the teams! Support HRT/Marussia/Caterham/Stefan GP!!!!!!!' then during the season it's all "lol i totally forgot they even exist why do they even bother"

As a newbie, what is the best thing about more teams, if half of them blow? Wouldn't the races be more competitive with fewer teams all having similar bankrolls? I couldn't figure out what the real value of those back-marker teams were (apart from Maldonado setting people on fire) but the (sky) announce team kept voicing that "let them race" philosophy.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Because mid-pack races are cool and good. Also gives a chance for good drivers to shine if they can't get a top ride.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

keevo posted:

Because mid-pack races are cool and good. Also gives a chance for good drivers to shine if they can't get a top ride.

Backmarkers.

Not mid-pack/midfield teams which are competitive enough to actually race against each other.

The issue is backmarkers in such shambles that they literally bring nothing to the show except the 10 seconds of footage showing them pulling off on to the grass due to some random mechanical failure or maybe they just ran out of money and can't afford the running costs to see the race out. Hell, sometimes you just get a one line quip from a commentator that, I don't know, Baumgartner just retired like 20 minutes ago and they just noticed now.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Seriously, just allow proper B teams, customer cars and all.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

keevo posted:

Agreed on the mid-pack, it's the guys who got double lapped by HAM/ROS all year and never seemed to do anything terribly compelling. At least the mid pack races are for points.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Lucasar posted:

-Ricciardo: How can you not like this guy? My wife agrees he is the most likable..

You're definitely new to F1 aren't you

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wirth1000 posted:

You know what's doing great? WEC. Their problem isn't a lack of teams it's actually a lack of space to accomdoate all the teams coming in and wanting to join!!!!!

Maybe we should just change this thread to cover WEC?????

WEC is 4 (really 5) classes. If I add up the field of F1, GP2, GP3 and Euro F3 they've got more so WEC sucks.

Lucasar posted:

As a newbie, what is the best thing about more teams, if half of them blow? Wouldn't the races be more competitive with fewer teams all having similar bankrolls? I couldn't figure out what the real value of those back-marker teams were (apart from Maldonado setting people on fire) but the (sky) announce team kept voicing that "let them race" philosophy.

If you let Marussia go, the practical difference between Sauber 2015 and Marussia 2014 will be zero.

So Sauber goes under.

Then STR.

Then Lotus...

"We don't need you" is a very quick way to have no cars at all.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
STR can't go under, they are Red Bull B.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

Wirth1000 posted:

Backmarkers.

Not mid-pack/midfield teams which are competitive enough to actually race against each other.

The issue is backmarkers in such shambles that they literally bring nothing to the show except the 10 seconds of footage showing them pulling off on to the grass due to some random mechanical failure or maybe they just ran out of money and can't afford the running costs to see the race out. Hell, sometimes you just get a one line quip from a commentator that, I don't know, Baumgartner just retired like 20 minutes ago and they just noticed now.
What good would the 3rd fast car bring? They couldn't even race each other in most teams, that's true for 2 drivers it would be even worse for the 3rd one. I'd rather see a backmarker trundling around then see Ferrari no. 3 being 1 second behind Ferrari no. 2 for all of the race.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Earlier, Ferrari dissed Alonso; now Massa is dissing Ferrari!

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/formel1/news-207238-massa-bei-ferrari-gab-es-viele-leere-worte/

"Everything I have seen at Williams is real. At this time of the year you hear a lot of claims like 'this year's car is fantastic' or 'we did a great job'. I heard that a lot at Ferrari but it wasn't true. That's the difference between [Williams] and Ferrari."

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Riso posted:

Earlier, Ferrari dissed Alonso; now Massa is dissing Ferrari!

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/formel1/news-207238-massa-bei-ferrari-gab-es-viele-leere-worte/

"Everything I have seen at Williams is real. At this time of the year you hear a lot of claims like 'this year's car is fantastic' or 'we did a great job'. I heard that a lot at Ferrari but it wasn't true. That's the difference between [Williams] and Ferrari."

He's no longer a honorary italian.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

really the issue is that we replaced a lot of backmarkers/mid-pack teams with auto manufacturers who really don't give a gently caress about the sport, and when they inevitably got bored and left we all acted like the sky was falling (even though historically ferrari has been the only manufacturer team in most years) and tried to replace them quickly with a budget cap, i.e. a stupid idea, and approved four teams who never had any hope of surviving in the long term. yeah, there are separate issues with force india (corrupt, stupid owners), caterham (corrupt, stupid owners), marussia (corrupt, stupid owners), hrt (who even owned that team), usf1 (lmao), and sauber (have literally always been poor), but they are clearly temporary and should be corrected in the long run. even if haas' plan to operate out of the US results in him producing a poo poo car, he's still a far more capable, competent, and well-funded businessman than anyone involved in the four teams that recently collapsed.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Riso posted:

Who I still think will be killed the second the parent team need to run 3 cars.

But both Red Bulls can go under in a second, they're there at the whim of a merketing department that can and has killed sports teams with gently caress all notice before. Ask the Nascar Red Bull guys.

This is actually the problem F1 has. They have precisely 3 teams that aren't only in F1 because of one mad rich nutter or one marketing department and it's not like Sauber are especially solid right now. Manor would be a 4th. We need that 4th.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dudley is right, F1 needs teams that are F1 teams and nothing else

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

be nice wicka posted:

really the issue is that we replaced a lot of backmarkers/mid-pack teams with auto manufacturers who really don't give a gently caress about the sport, and when they inevitably got bored and left we all acted like the sky was falling (even though historically ferrari has been the only manufacturer team in most years) and tried to replace them quickly with a budget cap, i.e. a stupid idea, and approved four teams who never had any hope of surviving in the long term. yeah, there are separate issues with force india (corrupt, stupid owners), caterham (corrupt, stupid owners), marussia (corrupt, stupid owners), hrt (who even owned that team), usf1 (lmao), and sauber (have literally always been poor), but they are clearly temporary and should be corrected in the long run. even if haas' plan to operate out of the US results in him producing a poo poo car, he's still a far more capable, competent, and well-funded businessman than anyone involved in the four teams that recently collapsed.

FI is not a new team, they are Jordan.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Riso posted:

FI is not a new team, they are Jordan.

They are Jordan run by someone more incompetent than Eddie Jordan

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

NtotheTC posted:

You know things are hosed when TWO INDIAN BILLIONAIRES are unable to pay 80m/year to fund an F1 team.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Riso posted:

That team was for sale just five years ago. It could easily happen again. No buyer and it'll close.

Edit: STR's reversal of fortunes coincided with RBR winning things, prior to that they were a little too close to the parent team in performance, and took the first win.

Sulman fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 7, 2015

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

NtotheTC posted:

Eddie had lots of flash but he was very sensible with the team's money.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Riso posted:

You know things are hosed when TWO INDIAN BILLIONAIRES are unable to pay 80m/year to fund an F1 team.

It's easy to be a billionaire if you run an airline without paying your suppliers, employees and taxes

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lucasar posted:

Agreed on the mid-pack, it's the guys who got double lapped by HAM/ROS all year and never seemed to do anything terribly compelling. At least the mid pack races are for points.

I don't want 16 car grids.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Unless Red Bull continues to have poo poo seasons, I doubt they are going to close up shop any time soon. They probably close teams in series where it's harder to cheat.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
poo poo RB season: only 2nd in WCC.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Riso posted:

poo poo RB season: only 2nd in WCC.

They probably had the best chassis, tbh.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Riso posted:

Big difference between can't and won't.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Xenoid posted:

Big difference between can't and won't.

And also a big difference between billionaire and "billionaire."

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Michael Schumacher and Ralf Schumacher

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

HJB posted:

You're definitely new to F1 aren't you

Is he a turd off track? We liked his dopey smile and continually outperforming his teammate despite not being touted as the favourite.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Gmaz posted:

What good would the 3rd fast car bring? They couldn't even race each other in most teams, that's true for 2 drivers it would be even worse for the 3rd one. I'd rather see a backmarker trundling around then see Ferrari no. 3 being 1 second behind Ferrari no. 2 for all of the race.

I agree, team orders often mean boring racing, we've just been lucky with RBR, Merc and mclaren recently, but in the recent past it meant boring racing.
More teams are better, I loved the resurgence of williams, lotus/renault a couple of years ago, and even RB were brought up from the shambles of jaguar/stewart.
If FOM spread more money around or the budget caps worked, then we're not stuck with manufacturers like ferrari or mercedes, or even what rb have become. I like the fact that mid pack teams such as sauber or jordan/FI exist because in some recent years they have produced good cars for certain tracks.
e: it grows talent not just for drivers, but for developers/engineers/mechanics. Worst F1 would be a series just with ferrari, mclaren, rb, mercedes competing.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 7, 2015

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Lucasar posted:

Is he a turd off track? We liked his dopey smile and continually outperforming his teammate despite not being touted as the favourite.

He's awful. He's like a living meme that Red Bull have produced in a factory. The public grew tired of Vettelbot so they retired that and replaced it with something for the Instagram-generation.

"Look it's smiling all the time! Cool!"

"Ha ha! It calls itself the Honey Badger! That's funny lol"

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Dudley posted:

Ask the Nascar Red Bull guys.

NASCAR is the one thing a Red Bull team managed to be loving godawful at though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Red Bull being poo poo at NASCAR was one of the few bright spots of recent NASCAR history.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I like Ricciardo you guys are mean.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Ricciardo beat the poo poo out of The Fraud. What's there not to like?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Absurd as it sounds especially in this thread, I think Brainwrong may be trolling. Ricky D is clearly the best F1 driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bold prediction: Everyone here will hate Ricky D within 12 months.

• Locked thread