Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Steve Yun posted:

Freeze the fruit and then thaw, and then vacuum. The ice crystals will break up the plant fibers and cell walls, which makes them easy to vacuum compress.

Have you done this with infusions? And how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Haven't looked up infusions before, but watching some videos now.

Okay, so if you want to get liquids into your fruit, you need a setup that allows liquids.

So you'll need either one of these marinating containers for the Foodsaver:
http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T02...ainer+foodsaver

or one of these cannister things:
http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Piece-Round-Canister-Set/dp/B00005Q4OD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422957716&sr=8-1&keywords=cannister+foodsaver

or a mason jar with one of these regular mouth or wide mouth mason jar adapters:
http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03...n+jar+foodsaver

1. Freeze fruit

2 Thaw fruit

3 Put fruit in one of the above setups with the liquid of your choice

4 Vacuum so that the fruit sucks up the liquid

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Mr Executive posted:

Any suggestions for doing a boneless leg of lamb? It came vacuum sealed from the store, but I think I want to break it open and rebag so that I can add some spices. I was planning on bagging it up tonight, then putting it in before I leave for work tomorrow or Wednesday morning. I'm planning on doing 12h at 135, followed by 10 minutes in a 500 degree oven.

1: Definitely rebag after a rinse and dry.
2: Time/temp look about right.
3: Careful with spices. I used a spice rub I've had a lot of success with on conventionally cooked lamb (Dual Grocery's garam masala + salt + a small amount of powdered mustard + oil to make paste) and it came out odd. I suspect it was the mustard.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Test Pattern posted:

1: Definitely rebag after a rinse and dry.
2: Time/temp look about right.
3: Careful with spices. I used a spice rub I've had a lot of success with on conventionally cooked lamb (Dual Grocery's garam masala + salt + a small amount of powdered mustard + oil to make paste) and it came out odd. I suspect it was the mustard.

I rebagged it last night with some olive oil, rosemary, sage, basil, and salt. I went pretty light on the herbs. I threw it in this morning at 135, so it should be good to go tonight. Pretty excited for supper and a couple days of leftovers.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Well, poo poo. Now I'm going to a basketball game tonight so I won't be able to eat the lamb roast tonight. If I get home and throw it in an ice bath/fridge, how long would it take to reheat tomorrow night? If I just throw it back in 135 degree water tomorrow after work, would it get back up to temp within a couple hours?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Executive posted:

Well, poo poo. Now I'm going to a basketball game tonight so I won't be able to eat the lamb roast tonight. If I get home and throw it in an ice bath/fridge, how long would it take to reheat tomorrow night? If I just throw it back in 135 degree water tomorrow after work, would it get back up to temp within a couple hours?

Yup. Just do the ice bath thing tonight so that it doesn't spend more time that absolutely necessary in the danger zone.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yup. Just do the ice bath thing tonight so that it doesn't spend more time that absolutely necessary in the danger zone.

Option 2: let it roll in the puddle for ultimate tender.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I was reading somewhere that chicken gets rubbery if you leave it in for longer than 4 hours. C/D? I wanted to cook some to make shredded meat for tacos, and I was hoping to leave it in all day while I am at work.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Why don't you just braise chicken for tacos? This doesn't seem like a particularly good use for an immersion circulator.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Chemmy posted:

Why don't you just braise chicken for tacos? This doesn't seem like a particularly good use for an immersion circulator.

The same reason people use crockpots, set it up, leave it alone, dinner is ready when you get home.

(Hey, that rhymes!)

E: Any links to good chickpea recipes for sous vide? (Other than the two on the Anova site?)

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 4, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kensei posted:

I was reading somewhere that chicken gets rubbery if you leave it in for longer than 4 hours. C/D? I wanted to cook some to make shredded meat for tacos, and I was hoping to leave it in all day while I am at work.

I used ultimate mango's recipe from this thread and it works really well

Chemmy posted:

well you can chill and freeze the bag when you're done so don't forget that aspect. as always, no moisture loss either.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

kensei posted:

this is true for breast, if you use thigh or leg you should be good to let it sit all day

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thanks y'all

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

PSA: the Anova iOS app is now live on the App Store.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Finally. Does it let you calibrate?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Steve Yun posted:

Finally. Does it let you calibrate?

Doesn't look like it.

The first review seems accurate:

"Great immersion circulator. Useless app. Hopefully some smart third-party developer will come up with a more innovative way to leverage the bluetooth connectivity. The app is a very amateurish recipe guide.

No food safety temp guidelines or other functional uses. Just as easy to set temp directly on circulator."

E: Though the APP itself claims:

"Key App Features:

-Pairs with the Anova Precision Cooker via Bluetooth.
-Operates the device remotely when connected and within range (set your time, temperature, and toggle between Fahrenheit and Celsius).
-Calibrates the Precision Cooker temperature to the nearest .01 degree F/C.
-Provides exclusive access to our library of recipes featuring James Beard award winning chefs, renowned cookbook authors, food editors, television personalities, and more.
-Choose a recipe and press play! Once you’re paired with the device, simply select what you’d like to cook and press play to automatically set the device to the required time and temperature settings. "

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 5, 2015

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Schpyder posted:

PSA: the Anova iOS app is now live on the App Store.

Weird, it's not showing up in a search of the App Store, and directly clicking your link takes me a to a blank page, but copy pasting it seems to work fine.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I guess I'll just buy that third party Android app since I'd like to calibrate it some time before 2016.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I'm trying out the Anova app right now and it definitely has the calibration function. It's right under the gear menu, but it doesn't show up until you're paired with the circulator.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I've had some sort of circulator for like seven years at this point and I buy useless gadgets constantly. I can't figure out why I need a bluetooth or wifi circulator.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Even if you ignore the wifi/bt features of the new circulators they're still decent machines and the prices keep creeping down.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I really hope the Android app will be released soon. :/

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Jeoh posted:

I really hope the Android app will be released soon. :/

The $.99 one is pretty good, I have used it a bunch of times with no issue.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I bought the third party Android app which is $2.25 in the Google Play Canada store. It's pretty basic but it connects just fine and has some handy features. Calibration was quick and easy and persists when the unit is unplugged. I had some fun playing around with the colour of the scroll wheel. Bluetooth range is too lovely to monitor the cook temp from where I sit in the house, but I'm going to keep using the app because setting the timer on the Anova itself is such a ridiculous procedure.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
can someone tell me what the gently caress the purpose of the anova one is? it costs $20 more and than the lowest-end unit and weighs nearly twice as much, yet has less functionality. i don't have a loving clue what reason it has to exist other than supporting ~at most~ an extra gallon of water (theoretically) and having a touchscreen which saves maybe 30 seconds of time when using it. neither of which means poo poo

i feel like i was suckered into it because it was the one that happened to be in stock for the holidays. which is an acceptable reason i just see absolutely zero excuse to buy it if the precision cooker is in stock

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 7, 2015

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

can someone tell me what the gently caress the purpose of the anova one is? it costs $20 more and than the lowest-end unit and weighs nearly twice as much, yet has less functionality. i don't have a loving clue what reason it has to exist other than supporting ~at most~ an extra gallon of water (theoretically) and having a touchscreen which saves maybe 30 seconds of time when using it. neither of which means poo poo

i feel like i was suckered into it because it was the one that happened to be in stock for the holidays. which is an acceptable reason i just see absolutely zero excuse to buy it if the precision cooker is in stock

The One came out long before the precision cooker, once they get a good stock of the precision cookers I'll bet they discontinue the One.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It has slightly higher heating capacity.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Anova app has about 30 reviews and 2.5 stars. Stuff in the iOS app store is usually 4 stars, 3 if it's really bad. But it's new and foodies have umm, high standards so maybe it just needs time. I'm downloading it but I haven't tried it yet. I didn't even know there was a bluetooth-enabled Anova.

I use SousVideDash which I'm pretty sure was a paid app and I've never seen it update. It's really good though.

Indolent Bastard posted:

The annoying part about a crockpot is that I have one but it has digital controls so won't work for a PID system and I don't want a second one eating up space. For the extra $20 I think I'd be happier with the pot mounted type.

I want to try eggs, but the constant mention of "watery" egg whites makes me want to barf. I hope when or if I make eggs they aren't "watery".

I think the real answer is that I should do more recipe research and see if a sous vide cooker will be worthwhile for me.

Thanks for the input everyone.

E: With the Anova Precision Cooker's video it shows zip-lock bags and not vacuum sealed ones, can I skip buying a vacuum sealer or are they more necessary than the video makes out?

Sorry for the poo poo quality but

I've been meaning to try sous vide scrambled eggs but every recipe for it is solid butter or heavy cream. Yeah no poo poo those were some of the best scrambled eggs you've ever had. It was full of butter and then you drizzled more brown butter on it.

Ola posted:

Gonna try two things today, in preparation for dinner tomorrow, sous vide potatoes and caramelized onions.

The potatoes are going in a gratin, so I will just mandolin them, vizzle at 85C and cool. Then tomorrow I can just open the bag and add them to the baking dish, add the rest and throw in oven. Simple enough. But the onions is something new. I came across this recipe:

http://www.orgasmicchef.com/soup/sous-vide-caramelised-onions/

The gist of it is, sautée onion, bag it, vizzle for a day at 85C / 186F

Anyone tried it? It's not that hard to caramelize onions in the pan, but there is always the risk of burning etc. Being able to get a large amount of evenly caramelized onions would be great.
How did these both turn out? I've never been happy with doing starchy vegetables in it so I'm really curious about the potatoes. I imagine with some good potatoes it would keep a bit more of the flavor than boiling and make for a better casserole or gratin.
I'm also curious about the onions. Caramelizing them in a pan is so quick and easy I don't get why you would even do that. You said you liked the taste but would you say it was worth it?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 7, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mons Hubris posted:

Sorry but could you elaborate on these just a bit? How do you store and reheat the the 62.5 degree eggs to keep the texture right? And I guess really the same question for the vegetables and the meat. I have mainly been using my Anova to cook cuts of meat, but I would love to get more mileage out of it by doing some things like this in bulk.

wookums already answered this, but just dunk everything in an ice bath after cooking. then to fridge.

If you cook something to doneness, you have at least a day or two window to cook it off before having to worry about spoilage, so just pre-sousvide everything, rapidly chill it, pop it in your fridge, then sear/deepfry/whatever for a minute or so before serving.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

wheez the roux posted:

It's the accurate, more powerful older brother of the Precision that isn't full of weird wireless features nobody will use.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

How did these both turn out?

Potatoes didn't turn out well. They were too chewy and didn't absorb the gratin fluid very well. Best way is the French way, cook the potatoes gently in milk and cream mix, but it's something you have to watch carefully so it doesn't burn. I thought sous vide might make it zero effort but need to come up with a better way.

Onions were great. Kind of high effort, but nice to get very consistent results without a hint of bitterness, something I'm not always too good at in the pan. The color was kind of light but the flavor deep and lovely. Well worth it if you are also doing loads of other things and want to save effort, perhaps not worth it if you are really good at doing it in the pan.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
Got a searzall, mostly to caramelize ribs - but tried it on a ribeye first.
Puddled this at 135f

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Chinese yanagiba? on beef?

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

Chinese yanagiba? on beef?

It's a sujihiki - which isn't a single edge blade
It was made in Sakai

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What does it matter? It's a knife.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What does it matter? It's a knife.

It doesn't, particularly.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Livin' on the edge with that canister :smug:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Woof! Woof! posted:

It's a sujihiki - which isn't a single edge blade
It was made in Sakai

Ah nice - it was the sleeve that was making me doubletake

Woof! Woof! posted:

It doesn't, particularly.

Nope. Just curiosity.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

geetee posted:

Livin' on the edge with that canister :smug:

Why again? Just not stable? Too hot and melt / damage the screens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

thegoat posted:

Why again? Just not stable? Too hot and melt / damage the screens?

both