Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Are there any free or relatively cheap, ticketing systems that would be good for a one-man IT department? I've been using OneNote for a while to keep track of requests and to-do's, but it would be nice to have more of a history of what I've worked on, and to be able to quantify not only how much I do, but be able to identify high-problem areas. I tried Spiceworks previously and wasn't too big of a fan of the ads. It also just felt cluttered. I might have not spend enough time getting it properly configured though.

-Auto ticket generation from email
-Simple, clean layout
-Basic reports. x amount of y tickets in a date range.

Bonus points if I can create a 2nd completely different department/helpdesk for another non-IT team that could use a email to ticket system. Is Spiceworks still the best option or what are some others I should peek at?

Inventory is another tough thing. Any sort of network-scan based inventory system is next to worthless because people are constantly coming and going into the field for months at a time. Recently deployed Kaspersky, so I guess I just need to combine info I can pull with that, with some manual effort into one area. Preferably within a ticketing system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I've said it before and i'll say it again. The price of OTRS is spot on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Freshdesk is hard to beat - three agents are free.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

madpanda posted:

It seems like to be a halfway decent IT person you need to be closer to Dilbert as gently caress/CF than a person who works 40-50 hours a week, maybe catches on news/does some lab stuff at home for a few hours per week, and learns a lot on the job.

Is this a pretty accurate viewpoint?

No, that's not accurate however there's a tendency for many IT Professionals to develop a "God Complex" and general narcissism. At the same time a lot of companies will work you to literally death and/or allow yourself to do that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

No, that's not accurate however there's a tendency for many IT Professionals to develop a "God Complex" and general narcissism. At the same time a lot of companies will work you to literally death and/or allow yourself to do that.

The good thing is those people tend to stall out at some point and never progress past a certain point in their career. I'm currently watching this unfold at my work right now. Almost attains self-realization, then goes off the rails again. This time it's because he doesn't get a private office at our newly constructed building he feels he deserves. There was quite the debate (all of 5 minutes) on whether to give him one to spare others, but ultimately it was decided it would be interpreted as validation of his lovely behavior and inter-personal skills.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

flosofl posted:

The good thing is those people tend to stall out at some point and never progress past a certain point in their career. I'm currently watching this unfold at my work right now. Almost attains self-realization, then goes off the rails again. This time it's because he doesn't get a private office at our newly constructed building he feels he deserves. There was quite the debate (all of 5 minutes) on whether to give him one to spare others, but ultimately it was decided it would be interpreted as validation of his lovely behavior and inter-personal skills.
Give him a vinyl shed and an extension cord.

By the way, I really recommend people read Bob Sutton's The No rear end in a top hat Rule.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Roargasm posted:

Jira is completely cost prohibitive if you're not sharing accounts through, I think it's $10 for ten users and $1000 for a hundred? Beats the $1200/yr "IT management" system that I gutted through

It gets even more cost prohibitive when you factor in widgets. Another fun thing about widgets is managing the conflicts between widget versions and Atlassian updates. Best of all is when your widget maker either decides that they don't want to be on the upgrade treadmill any longer, or the widget gets popular and you start paying thousands of dollars to keep your widgets up-to-date.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Basically every IT job in the world is full of downtime that can be used to keep up with new technologies. Learning new technologies gets easier as you get more experience since almost everything new is going to derived from or related to something else already out there that you are already familiar with if you're keeping up to date.

If you're having trouble finding down time at work to do self-study then learn a scripting language and automate like half of your job away and suddenly you'll have a lot more free time and a really useful skill for future jobs.

I work a lot less than most of my non tech friends.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

madpanda posted:

I figure this is the most appropriate thread for my question.

I've been following the sh/sc ... stress relief threads for years. And have started studying for rhcsa so that I can work into a system admin role sometime this year.

The unreasonable requests from project managers and various other stakeholders I can deal with, that's been part of my current job for years. End users, i'm sure some will be aggravating, my current job has me working with some demanding clients already.

However the main thing that makes me wary of this career move, is the concern with keeping up on current IT issues and how they might affect a system I would be sole administrator of.

It seems like to be a halfway decent IT person you need to be closer to Dilbert as gently caress/CF than a person who works 40-50 hours a week, maybe catches on news/does some lab stuff at home for a few hours per week, and learns a lot on the job.

Is this a pretty accurate viewpoint?

Nth-ing "nope". In my pre-developer life, I was an admin, and I currently need to keep up in Linux security problems and new development practices. I haven't worked more than 40 hours a week in years, other than exceptions like "new, major bug a week before code freeze" or "pm 3 timezones away scheduled a required meeting at 4:30pm their time and I'm the principal engineer", but that stuff is comparatively rare

Major security problems get posted here. And RHSAs. And CVEs. And you can idle in a sysadmin IRC channel or read hackernews (/r/sysadmin is kind of a ghetto and Slashdot is dead-ish).

But learning what your business needs and acquiring skills which benefit that business and you is both easy and more productive than "I'm gonna spend all my free nights learning Haskell/v${product}/ipft/etc".

This stuff is possible once you have a good background in whatever subject, but it's way easier to acquire skills if you have a practical use for them (like solving business problems with powershell or python or whatever) and daily use than checking a box that says "I know Rust, what's next?"

10000 hours to mastery and all that. Plus there are a bunch of non-technical pseudo-managerial (and psuedo-project-managerial) skills you'll pick gradually pick up.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 1, 2019

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Why, didn't you hear, Dell would be happy to charge you once for the convenience of ReadyRails, and a second time for an adapter so they'll work on a two post rack.

I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for at the end result but if you google "dell readyrails adapter" the first couple of results should give you all the options you'll need.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I don't think I've ever seen a network switch that required a 4 post rack. Even huge rear end 4U chassis are fine with just front brackets.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah every time I mount some big rear end 3U router on the front two rails, I shudder, but I've never gone back to the datacenter to find it crashed onto my servers.

e: I will admit though, the sheer OCD in me wants to install some rails for larger devices to rest on, though, to get what I'd consider an even cleaner installation.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 8, 2015

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ask me about installing a gigantic UPS on a two-post rack (actually don't, I don't want to re-live it).

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

Chickenwalker posted:

Their adapter is just a bracket, is that really going to hold the weight of the back of the switches when they're only mounted from the front?

Done properly, you should only need the front mounts. http://youtu.be/jszfgxBD1ds

Ask me anything about channel partners performing the shittiest installations you could imagine :v:

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

These are awesome

http://www.racksolutions.com/2post-center-mount-brackets.html

Whoever designed our call center put in all 2 post racks so the server rack was basically converted for about 20U using these things.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
oh boy, I fancied taking an intensive formation in London on Rails and TDD but here's the catch: I can barely afford living in London for four months without a job, and this without adding up the tuition and admition fee.

This is the place http://www.makersacademy.com/ I do feel assured that the money would be well spent, I simply don't have it.
Oh well, better find another wayout.

poo poo's expensive is i guess what im saying

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

That feeling when you start becoming the sensitive/privileged data person who may end up with a NDA and clearance involuntarily.

Either way I'll get to ad a S to my title and some $$$

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Honest Thief posted:

This is the place http://www.makersacademy.com/ I do feel assured that the money would be well spent, I simply don't have it.
That's ok. It isn't well-spent. These kinds of things have been around forever. Every so often, they get a group which is hired into ${some_hip_company} because they just got a new round of funding and they need to expand so fast that they don't have the time to interview proper candidates, then they hawk it on their website.

Generally these companies hire because they're just banking on people who could make it through an intensive 10/12/whatever week camp being able to learn quickly enough to pick up whatever stack they're using fast enough to make meaningful contributions, not because they're exceptional engineers or diamonds in the rough or whatever.

Their cost estimator looks like it's near $17,000 with no guarantees other than "a hiring round with London companies as an entry-level developer" (which probably doesn't even pay 200% of the cost of the "Maker's Academy").

It's a scummy practice for people who think there's an easy way. There isn't. Learn to loving code if that's what you wanna do. But you don't have to pay seventeen grand plus living expenses to get a job as an entry-level developer. You need to learn to code at your current job by automating poo poo you already know and learning more about things you're curious about or that you encounter while you're automating that stuff, then start applying to jobs as a junior/entry level developer in whatever language you're using (don't use shell or powershell). Please pay me $17,000.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Pulled this out of a rack today:

Not sure how well it translates in the picture, but those top two batteries are bubbled up and it was a complete bitch to get out of the unit. I was sure any second I'd be sprayed with lead acid

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:stonklol:

Also don't sign up to expensive courses with places that aren't schools or don't offer actual industry certs. Some of them might be good, most of them scream scam. If you feel that you need to spend money to get out of a career rut then do an Open University degree.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Thanks Ants posted:

:stonklol:

Also don't sign up to expensive courses with places that aren't schools or don't offer actual industry certs. Some of them might be good, most of them scream scam. If you feel that you need to spend money to get out of a career rut then do an Open University degree.

Is there any recommended Open University-like thing for USA? Seems like theres very few options available if you aren't in Europe.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I thought there were a few US colleges doing online part-time study that weren't scams? It's not anything I have knowledge of though.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Danith posted:

Is there any recommended Open University-like thing for USA? Seems like theres very few options available if you aren't in Europe.

Coursera? The Cryptography course is great. They have programming courses, as well.

edit: I might not actually know what Open University is.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I had the weirdest thing happen at work today. I had installed a new hard drive and PC last week because the hard drive on this machine was bad and the tower itself was EOL. The touchscreen attached also had an inverted y-axis, so I called in to our helpdesk to get them to start calibration. For some reason they lock calibration behind administrator logins, and I don't have that login, they're probably afraid I'm going to set desktops to goatse or something. Anyway, we recalibrate the screen, it works fine, but as soon as we reboot the machine, it won't finish booting. The first time, I thought it was just a bad hard drive. But I got a new hard drive, installed it today, the calibration was reversed again, and it did the same thing once we recalibrated it. Any idea what could cause that sort of thing? I ordered a different model of hard drive and a new monitor, but I have never seen anything like that before.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Erwin posted:

Coursera? The Cryptography course is great. They have programming courses, as well.

edit: I might not actually know what Open University is.

Udacity's intro to programming was on par with my college intro to programming course (they were for different languages). The bonus with the college course was I could email my instructor and get near instant responses.

It really depends on what path you're wanting to take with your career.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
sooooooo... I just found a copy of arrangebypenis.7z
and I'm about to :yotj:, friday is my last day.

must I do the needful?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

sooooooo... I just found a copy of arrangebypenis.7z
and I'm about to :yotj:, friday is my last day.

must I do the needful?

It's time to fire up ye olde gpmc.msc

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I have a whole day to learn what I can about aws. Where should I begin?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Create a free account is probably the first step, that way you can play with things without breaking production.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sheep posted:

Create a free account is probably the first step, that way you can play with things without breaking production.

Alright so, maybe I should be more specific.

I've gotten an account set up, set up groups / users / roles / keypairs, rolled out a few AMI's, ssh'd (putty/rdp) into a few... it seems most tutorials are all about setting up wordpress so I guess I'll do that.

edit: to get out of the company firewall I'm using my 2012 R2 vm on azure to connect to my personal aws vm's.. kinda thought that was funny

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 10, 2015

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
have a stab at cloudformation/opsworks rather than setting up a single instance

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Also, do poo poo via the API rather than the web console. The point of the cloud is not to spin up special snowflakes slowly one-by-one, so don't treat it that way. There are libraries for basically every language under the sun so you can take your pick.

Autoscaling is a fun feature to experiment with. Set up an instance and an autoscaling policy, then run something in an infinite loop to spike the CPU and watch a second instance pop up automatically to help out.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
What would be the simplest/cheapest way to go about having a box somewhere that I can remote into from work & run a smallish SSMS on? Work only has 2008 and I want to practice on 2014 for the first MS SQL cert.

(Trying to get security folks to approve me accessing a 2014 version will literally take over a year. I've already tried that route.)

ETA: I don't have an 'extra' home computer to set up myself or I would have done so. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

meanieface posted:

What would be the simplest/cheapest way to go about having a box somewhere that I can remote into from work & run a smallish SSMS on? Work only has 2008 and I want to practice on 2014 for the first MS SQL cert.

(Trying to get security folks to approve me accessing a 2014 version will literally take over a year. I've already tried that route.)

ETA: I don't have an 'extra' home computer to set up myself or I would have done so. :)

http://www.lowendtalk.com/categories/offers

They can be really cheap if you can deal with a little less reliability and a weaker control panel compared to linode or digitalocean.