Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trent surviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiived trick-or-treating, but he was so disappointed with what he got (in his pumpkin).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Trent surviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiived trick-or-treating, but he was so disappointed with what he got (in his pumpkin).

Trent putting on black face for Halloween or The Purge dude... lol

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
:3:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mariqueen is a nun, Trent has one of those creepy clear masks, but what is their kid dressed as?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I'm finally listening to 38 Ghosts and I can't figure out what it reminds me of.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Demon Seed.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress you. This thread hasn't been updated in months. For a second I thought something new was brewing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There hasn't really been much of anything to update with that I'm aware of :shobon: They aren't touring, there's no new NIN material on the horizon, no new HTDA stuff coming out, Gone Girl is done with, etc.

I'd love it if something new worth updating the thread with would get announced.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is HTDA even still a thing? It feels like they went to a lot of effort to promote it and the response was just kinda blah.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

'Blah' was kind of the right response to that record, honestly. Maybe they're working on the live video of the last few tours or The Fragile Reissu-haha, no that's never coming.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Singing Chav posted:

'Blah' was kind of the right response to that record, honestly. Maybe they're working on the live video of the last few tours or The Fragile Reissu-haha, no that's never coming.

Obviously with the Fragile reissue they want to recreate the entire experience of the album, and that includes waiting loving forever for it to come out.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I wanted to like HTDA but it just wasn't impressive. Mariqueen is a really boring singer.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I still really like HTDA :(

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

echronorian posted:

I wanted to like HTDA but it just wasn't impressive.

It felt like an album from a guy who wanted to make some music, but didn't have much to say.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

axleblaze posted:

I still really like HTDA :(

So do I. I listen to Welcome Oblivion alot more than Hesitation Marks and his recent soundtracks.

I mean, I understand the whole "lack of emotion" complaint. However I think it works amazing as a moody experimental album, which is all it tries to be. In fact from an abstract art perspective it is BY FAR the most experimental thing Trent has done since the Fragile era. Sonically it downright shines and really pushes the boundaries of electronic music and synthesis. I mean Year Zero was neat but I felt it was just kinda heavy handed, too poppy and sing-songy. Welcome Oblivion was more subdued and takes the listener on an atmospheric journey.

As someone who owns about $5k of modulars/synths himself and listens to too much weird experimental music, I will say it is easily some of the most unique synth-based music I've heard in over a decade. Maybe it almost falls into a category of "music for electronic-nerds", which would explain why most people I know into rock-music find it boring and weird. But I love it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, Welcome Oblivion rules, and while I'm not sure if I'd call it better than Hesitation Marks, I still listen to it pretty frequently. That album has a ton of moments worth revisiting over and over again in my opinion.

And that live show was something else, too. I wish they'd done more than one mini-tour with that :( The first time I saw it in action, I was pretty blown away by how cool it looked.

I'm still bummed that both NIN and HTDA were scheduled to play this music festival I went to in 2013 but HTDA dropped out and I only got to see NIN. I mean, not that I'm upset about getting to see NIN again, because that was loving awesome and it was one of the last shows of the Tension tour, I believe. But I really would've liked to have seen HTDA live :smith:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

It felt like an album from a guy who wanted to make some music, but didn't have much to say.

That would be my description of Hesitation Marks. Welcome Oblivion comes from a very similar place sonically, but to me it feels a little fresher probably just by virtue of not having Trent's voice (much).

Definitely a bit long-winded though.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm surprised people really like mariqueen. She's gorgeous and seems like a cool person, OK. But her singing is really average: breathy, pitch perfect and no style at all. I think that whole project could've gone from a 5 to a 9 with Karen O or someone else besides his wife. But whatever, I'm sure they enjoyed making it and it's not a bad project. Just very average for me as a listener.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

echronorian posted:

I'm surprised people really like mariqueen. She's gorgeous and seems like a cool person, OK. But her singing is really average: breathy, pitch perfect and no style at all. I think that whole project could've gone from a 5 to a 9 with Karen O or someone else besides his wife. But whatever, I'm sure they enjoyed making it and it's not a bad project. Just very average for me as a listener.
On some songs, it's clear to see why you'd think that. But on songs like these, I wouldn't rather hear anyone else on them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxraUvHlfJk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sUTVT7HzSg

Her voice fits the style they're going for perfectly.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Ya, even those two just sound like Reznor life coached her to sing them like he would. It might as well be Reznor on them.

Also, I've missed this thread and talking to rageaholic monkey about Reznor projects. :( I'll retread the HTDA conversations if I have to, but I hope there is new news soon :(

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
How to destroy Angels is just way too chill for me. Except for fur lined from the self titled EP. Still the best song and I'm sad they didn't go that route!!!!!

E: actually I just remembered How Long? I love that song. So good

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

echronorian posted:

Ya, even those two just sound like Reznor life coached her to sing them like he would. It might as well be Reznor on them.

Also, I've missed this thread and talking to rageaholic monkey about Reznor projects. :( I'll retread the HTDA conversations if I have to, but I hope there is new news soon :(
Yeah same here :( :love:

I don't think it really sounds like Reznor coached her, though. I mean, she was doing music before they even met. Admittedly, I haven't listened to much West Indian Girl, but to me, it feels like her voice fits really well with certainly styles but she'd probably sound flat and boring if she tried to do different styles. To me, HTDA is a project that compliments her strengths and vice versa. I love how that material came together, and I hope there's more of it in the future. But even if there isn't, I'll still enjoy what they did put out.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Sir Lemming posted:

That would be my description of Hesitation Marks.

Yeah, honestly that works to varying degrees for a lot of his recent output IMO. Hesitation Marks had a jam or two, same with Welcome Oblivion, but an awful lot of what sounded like meandering filler to my ears.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I think HTDA is on the same level as Ghosts and Fragile when it comes to experimentation in the very best of ways. The only fault to Welcome Oblivion is that it's nowhere near as accessible as almost everything he's put out under the NIN name but after a few listens there's a ton of great stuff on that album, with the only exception being the title track really.

I hope they do more than just one EP and album since if Reznor uses HTDA & soundtracks for his more experimental music while NIN remains focused on being his way to get his mainstream stuff out that's not a bad thing at all.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is the Austin City performance being sold somewhere, or properly distributed in some other format?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
They have influences from other genres (UK bass/dub), but I think many of you would like Necro Deathmort (yeah the name kinda sucks)

I've been consistently impressed by their variety of output, and just how nice it sounds. Some very Reznor moments, but mostly entirely instrumental and can get doomy, and droney.

http://necrodeathmort.bandcamp.com/album/music-of-bleak-origin
http://necrodeathmort.bandcamp.com/album/ep2

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I really like HTDA. I just don't think of it as comparable to NIN at all. The live visuals were arguably better than NIN's if you ask me.

Hesitation Marks is great too. It's unlikely he'll ever put out anything the resonates with me like his 90s output, but if HM is indicative of his future level of quality, I can't complain.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Shampy posted:

gently caress you. This thread hasn't been updated in months. For a second I thought something new was brewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhvXST1Rc3g

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

That's really weird. My friend linked me that same video two days ago when I wouldn't shut the gently caress up about how awesome Taylor Swift is.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Is it time for Strobe Light 2 yet? Oh yes please!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Is it time for Strobe Light 2 yet? Oh yes please!

My immediate response to that video was wanting to hear the Taylor Swift lyrics over the NIN music.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Before the song started I was expecting exactly that.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Alessandro (Sonoio) just released his new record, Forse 3, on the iTunes. $8 bucks, 9 tunes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So there hasn't been much Trent news worth posting about in a while, unfortunately. But here's something he's been working on: http://pitchfork.com/news/58986-apple-and-beats-music-developing-new-streaming-service-trent-reznor-redesigning-ios-music-app/

Beats Music was absorbed by Apple and Trent seems to have gone with it, helping redesign the iOS music app to make it into a Spotify competitor.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I had a Beats subscription until I dared to ask for a credit to my account because the service was down when I tried using it. gently caress that stingy and conceited company.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So there hasn't been much Trent news worth posting about in a while, unfortunately. But here's something he's been working on: http://pitchfork.com/news/58986-apple-and-beats-music-developing-new-streaming-service-trent-reznor-redesigning-ios-music-app/

Beats Music was absorbed by Apple and Trent seems to have gone with it, helping redesign the iOS music app to make it into a Spotify competitor.

Hopefully he can make it so it's actually functional and I don't have to use a third party app anymore. The fact that when you click an artist it shows you every single song by them on one screen, instead of using albums as sub-folders, makes navigating anyone with more than like, 2 albums a loving nightmare.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Another year, still no idea when I'll hear Pussygrinder.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

There hasn't been any news but here is an old picture I found I took at the Lights in the Sky tour in LA

edit: here is the rest of the album https://www.flickr.com/photos/stickfiguremafia/sets/72157607161670812/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

There hasn't been any news but here is an old picture I found I took at the Lights in the Sky tour in LA

edit: here is the rest of the album https://www.flickr.com/photos/stickfiguremafia/sets/72157607161670812/

What time did you get in line to get rail?