Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

So I'm either an idiot and misread it the first time or I found something interesting.

In the Fallen Angel scanlations we've been reading, when Deku asks All Might if his wound was caused by his fight with Super Venom Chainsaw, All Might responds, "I won't let a thug like him take me down!" Which I took to mean, "Even though he wounded me like this, I'm going to keep being a hero!"

But in the first chapter that ran in Jump this Monday, the official scans have him respond by saying "That lowlife? He could never do this to me!"

Which means it wasn't Chainsaw but someone else who gave All Might the wound. Nothing major, but it's a bit interesting to know that now (for those that didn't already know) we don't know who actually did it. Which is sort of a shame since I was really looking forward to a climactic revenge showdown between All For One Deku and Super Venom Chainsaw (Toxic Chainsaw in Jump), because that's an amazing villain name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm leaning towards the fan translation being right in this one, though I doubt it's very important either way

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I read that as All Might going "What? No! Of course not! Hahahahahafuck."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I doubt there's going to be a fight between All Might Deku and Toxic Chainsaw anyway, since that seems to be more All Might himself's fight than Dekus. Toxic Chainsaw didn't actually succeed in killing All Might after all so there's nothing to get revenge on. I'm assuming there'll be a round two for All Might himself if Toxic Chainsaw got away or manages to escape though.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Speculating that Toxic Chainsaw reappears in the villain alliance and kills All Might.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There isn't a hope in hell that All Might will go out defeated. When he goes, he's going out in a blaze of glory dragging the villains corpse through the gates of Valhalla in his teeth while playing his own theme song on a flaming guitar and riding atop about several horses as Valkyries simultaneously swoon and sing back up vocals.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 4, 2015

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

tsob posted:

There isn't a hope in hell that All Might will go out defeated. When he goes, he's going out in a blaze of glory dragging the villains corpse through the gates of Valhalla in his teeth while playing his own theme song on a flaming guitar and riding atop about several horses as Valkyries simultaneously swoon and sing back up vocals.

Nope. Goes out saving Deku. Manga becomes Gurren Lagann.

KoB
May 1, 2009

tsob posted:

Soylentbits posted:

Nope. Goes out saving Deku. Manga becomes Gurren Lagann.

I dont see why these two have to be separate.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm leaning towards the fan translation being right in this one, though I doubt it's very important either way

The line in the raw is「あんなチンピラにやられはしないさ!」which reads to me like "A punk like that didn't do this to me!" But I am anything but a professional translator and I can see how both readings could work since the meanings are essentially the same, just the subtext differs. But as you say, it's probably not going to matter much, I just thought it was interesting since I'd taken it as a given up til then that Toxic Chainsaw did it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If All Might is going to die it's gonna happen soonish if they plan on killing him off in muscleguy form because in the space of two weeks he's dropped from 2-3 hours of herotime to barely 50 minutes and it's only decreasing faster. He eventually won't be able to transform, so unless he's going to die in twerp form we got maybe this arc and another.

I'd kinda hope they'd just have him stick around but well pathos.

Lots of other fun stuff to do.

-Villain Alliance stuff
-Inevitable arc where at least some of Deku's classmates find out about All For One
-One of the students heelturns
-Previous owner of All For One shows up because they want it back

etc etc.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

We're probably going to run into stuff like anti heroes as well.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Fabricated posted:

If All Might is going to die it's gonna happen soonish if they plan on killing him off in muscleguy form because in the space of two weeks he's dropped from 2-3 hours of herotime to barely 50 minutes and it's only decreasing faster. He eventually won't be able to transform, so unless he's going to die in twerp form we got maybe this arc and another.

I would bet money I don't have that he will die heroically in twerp form (possibly right after his muscleform fails for the last time) to show that being a true hero isn't about being the strongest.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fabricated posted:

It only decreased that fast because of the injuries he got from Noumu.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So this comic is pretty good, I'm happy to discover that the author's got something else going that seems to be popular, I thought Barrage had some potential when it was going. This is the first manga I've read that both really seems to get western superhero comics and how they function, but also has that cool twist of Japanese sensibility in a blend I've never really seen before. The first counterpoint that springs to mind is all of Marvel's "mangaverse" where it seemed like the only encounter the creators had with the manga stuff they were incorporating was to have read one of those "How To Draw Manga" books.

What day do new scans usually drop?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm gonna go with "he dies of the thing he's already dying of, possibly while making a speak proclaiming Deku as the new Symbol of Peace to the world."

KoB
May 1, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm gonna go with "he dies of the thing he's already dying of, possibly while making a speak proclaiming Deku as the new Symbol of Peace to the world."

Thats dumb, All Might will make him earn it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

What day do new scans usually drop?

Get a Weekly Shonen Jump subscription. Starting next week, they're running new chapters every Monday and the scanners are waiting until afterwards since they're on good terms with the guy translating it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Waffleman_ posted:

Get a Weekly Shonen Jump subscription. Starting next week, they're running new chapters every Monday and the scanners are waiting until afterwards since they're on good terms with the guy translating it.

Well I already have that so ballin'.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

KoB posted:

Thats dumb, All Might will make him earn it.

If Superman announces that you're the new Superman in front of the entire world, you'll start having to earn it pretty quick.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If you're interested in hearing Japanese VAs do the comic:

http://vomic.shueisha.co.jp/hero/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Is there any way to play it without using VLC's garbage web plugin?

Edit: It worked itself out.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 7, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rand Brittain posted:

If Superman announces that you're the new Superman in front of the entire world, you'll start having to earn it pretty quick.

But Superman would never do that until you've earned it, that's why he's Superman.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Frog Girl wanted Izuku to call her by her first name...
:getin:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Tsuyu wants everyone to call her by her first name.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'd been sitting on starting this for a while partially because of the godawful translation of the first chapter, and between Wonderful 101 and rewatching Tiger and Bunny, I got in the mood for some non-cynical heroing, and this has absolutely delivered so far. I'm only up to chapter 8 now, but the main character is earnest in every way, the side characters are entertaining, and it's pushing the right hero series buttons. I think I was sold at the chapter title "The Ferocity of a loving Nerd."

I also like how he uses the costume his mom made even though it's super goofy and the smile is actually more terrifying than reassuring. :3:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i doubt it matters now but if you read on batoto they redid the first chapter

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kyte posted:

Tsuyu wants everyone to call her by her first name.
For some reason I recall her only saying that to Midoriya, but I think that might only be because he's so polite and keeps using her last name.

Also, new chapter.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
looking forward to seeing how deku avoids snapping hailfire peaks like a twig

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah I'm not exactly sure how he plans to use All For One here outside of maybe super speed, which doesn't seem to be it since hotcold pun is raising his hand to defend himself?

Like half of All Might using his powers is him destroying poo poo -indirectly- with the air pressure blasts created from him moving so fast.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-029--What-They-Don-t-Know?id=220611

EDIT: This was the coolest chapter so far.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 9, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm guessing that whatever he's doing isn't going to work and he won't get the headband back. I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm just not feeling like it's going to happen.

edit: Maybe he'll unintentionally kill Todoroki by caving in his skull.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm hoping whatever it is, it's impressive since it'll likely result in Midoriya maiming himself a bit.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Too Chilly for Summer is using his Fire Power, I wonder if he'll accidentally burn the headband?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I wonder how well One For All is going to do against Todoroki's fire? Our dear protagonist could literally crush his arm (which he probably won't do), but not without some serious burns. Speaking of Todoroki, rough stuff that, berating yourself through the image of your father.

ninja: Accidentally burning a headband would be an interesting outcome for sure

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The one-shot from 2008 that the story was based on got posted: http://bato.to/read/_/303021/boku-no-hero-academia_by_fallen-angels/1

Midoriya as an adult with a different name and an occupation as a salaryman.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

A Bystander posted:

The one-shot from 2008 that the story was based on got posted: http://bato.to/read/_/303021/boku-no-hero-academia_by_fallen-angels/1

Man he must have hated drawing backgrounds back then; it was like reading Bleach.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was looking at the Shonen Jump version of chapter 29, and Bakugo said "I'm as cool as ice." Really?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was looking at the Shonen Jump version of chapter 29, and Bakugo said "I'm as cool as ice." Really?

Its better than all the FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCYFUCKs in this comic for children :shrug:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It looks like Todoroki was startled at the end there--he said he wouldn't use fire after all. It must be reflex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A Bystander posted:

"However, this one-shot is, to me, my foremost masterpiece."

:unsmith: And now we can all enjoy the series it spawned.