Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

30 minute dramas are really frustrating, I always feel short changed when the episode ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

lelandjs posted:

And start talking about video game shows instead. How does a live action Legend of Zelda show sound? Netflix apparently thinks it's a good idea.

Not a big Zelda fan myself but my girlfriend absolutely loves the franchise -- her favorite being Majora's Mask (which I plan on buying her the 3DS version later this month). I told her about the news and she thinks given the right approach and using the proper timeline technique the show will be a smashing success. I argued that though I agree that Zelda is a household name, it didn't have the appeal of keeping people coming back. Shades of Mario Bros. anyone? Naturally she got a bit annoyed with what I said and going on about how I "never even gave the game a chance". She wouldn't be lying, I only have been playing a bit of Windwaker HD normally for an hour or two (I just the Master Sword). I have just not taken the time to invest in the series, I don't hate the game, so far the experience has been enjoyable. I told her there about a 3% chance of the show even being decent, and even then will it keep eyes glued to the TV. She told me I was 100% in the wrong. I shrugged it off and we went out separate ways to cool off. Then again I hear this is all a rumor and neither have confirmed it's happening (?) My girlfriend thinks this idea is heaven, and I think it's hell. Which spiritual land will be right? I guess we'll find out in a couple of years. I will give her one thing though: recently what Netflix has been putting out have been of high quality. I feel guilty only paying the amount they offer to the services/production they offer. If Netflix "feels" they have something with this, then who am I to judge. To be honest though, it I were a huge Zelda fan I would be worried, maybe even pissed off that Nintendo would allow this, but that just me. I gotta go apologize to the girlfriend now.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
You lost me when you claimed to have a girlfriend.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Apologize now and she'll expect you to cede on the next really important debate that arises. Y'all clearly have better stuff to do than be childish so hash things out and get through this tough time. Hth and gl.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Anime Curator posted:

Not a big Zelda fan myself but my girlfriend absolutely loves the franchise -- her favorite being Majora's Mask (which I plan on buying her the 3DS version later this month). I told her about the news and she thinks given the right approach and using the proper timeline technique the show will be a smashing success. I argued that though I agree that Zelda is a household name, it didn't have the appeal of keeping people coming back. Shades of Mario Bros. anyone? Naturally she got a bit annoyed with what I said and going on about how I "never even gave the game a chance". She wouldn't be lying, I only have been playing a bit of Windwaker HD normally for an hour or two (I just the Master Sword). I have just not taken the time to invest in the series, I don't hate the game, so far the experience has been enjoyable. I told her there about a 3% chance of the show even being decent, and even then will it keep eyes glued to the TV. She told me I was 100% in the wrong. I shrugged it off and we went out separate ways to cool off. Then again I hear this is all a rumor and neither have confirmed it's happening (?) My girlfriend thinks this idea is heaven, and I think it's hell. Which spiritual land will be right? I guess we'll find out in a couple of years. I will give her one thing though: recently what Netflix has been putting out have been of high quality. I feel guilty only paying the amount they offer to the services/production they offer. If Netflix "feels" they have something with this, then who am I to judge. To be honest though, it I were a huge Zelda fan I would be worried, maybe even pissed off that Nintendo would allow this, but that just me. I gotta go apologize to the girlfriend now.

If this caused you to have a legit fight then you both probably shouldn't start dating till you're 14.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Girl burns are the worst...

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Anime Curator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjpHzLYHkwA

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Anime Curator posted:

you have an anime avatar, there is no possible way you could ever hate TLOZ

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Anime Curator posted:

This feels appropriate.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
:tinfoil: time

Marry Me didn't get a full back order (effectively cancelled), so Casey Wilson isn't busy.
Benched got cancelled, so Eliza Coupe is free.
Damon Wayans Jr and Adam Pally just left New Girl and Mindy Project, respectively.
Elisha Cuthbert and Zach Knighton are both on mid-season comedies that only have 6 ep orders that are almost certainly in the can by now.

And the writers of Happy Endings posted this on Twitter.

I am trying unsuccessfully not to be really excited even though the countdown ends on April 1st.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Marry Me didn't get a full back order (effectively cancelled), so Casey Wilson isn't busy.
Damon Wayans Jr and Adam Pally just left New Girl and Mindy Project, respectively.
Elisha Cuthbert and Zach Knighton are both on mid-season comedies that only have 6 ep orders that are almost certainly in the can by now.

I am trying unsuccessfully not to be really excited even though the countdown ends on April 1st.

You cannot loving get my hopes you. You cannot.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

It's probably something like another improv show or something. There's no reason that ABC would revive it, but I guess TBS or something could.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Coach left New Girl? Thank the heavens, he was flailing there and the worst part of the show but I don't have high hopes for his future. White Girls 2?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ariza posted:

Coach left New Girl? Thank the heavens, he was flailing there and the worst part of the show but I don't have high hopes for his future. White Girls 2?

Worse than Nick? Or Ceci?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fooz posted:

It's probably something like another improv show or something. There's no reason that ABC would revive it, but I guess TBS or something could.

I'll take another improv show, the first was amazing. But do it with Showtime because holy hell the House of Lied improv looked and sounded about 100x better than Happy Endings'.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ariza posted:

New Girl has been piling up on my DVR this season and just, I don't know. Is there any reason to watch it? My interest fell off a cliff after last season's Nick and Jess bullshit and I think I watched a couple this season at most.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

IRQ posted:

New Girl has been piling up on my DVR this season and just, I don't know. Is there any reason to watch it? My interest fell off a cliff after last season's Nick and Jess bullshit and I think I watched a couple this season at most.
They've rebounded quite a bit from last season. They've practically forgotten Nick and Jess were ever a thing and the show is much better for it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ariza posted:

You probably mean "White Chicks 2", but he was neither of the two Wayanses in White Chicks 1 so...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they make a second he probably will be though. You have to up the stakes.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

IRQ posted:

Is there any reason to watch it?

This is by far the most consistent season. Even more so than S2. I'd argue that it's gotten funnier overall now that the characters are becoming more lived-in and they're letting them develop, and especially now that it feels more like an ensemble show with everyone getting equal time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

If Happy Endings ends up trolling us as an April Fool's joke, I consider myself satisfied already.

But seriously, it mostly probably just is the show's 3 seasons showing up on digital streaming services?

(maybe it's secretly Sony telling us they'll print season 3 of Happy Endings on real DVDs)

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

New Girl is watchable but it's not 'must-watch' by any means.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I caught the last 3 seasons on Netflix but haven't had a chance to watch much of the 4th season (caught up over the fall, so I didn't DVR the show...) I really liked it, though.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'll take another improv show, the first was amazing. But do it with Showtime because holy hell the House of Lied improv looked and sounded about 100x better than Happy Endings'.

What improv show is this

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For Happy Endings, it's this. Haven't seen it in ages but remember it being really funny, especially some of the notes that go back and forth between the writing room and S&P.

e: maybe not as much improv as I remembered, but still. Funny.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 9, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I started watching ER because I need something light and airy while I work. It's pretty good but I''m aware it descends into the TV hell of Ever-Escalating And More Ridiculous Emergency Syndrome, is there a point at which I should stop watching?

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
When you stop enjoying it?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The most ridiculous moment is when one of the doctors that lost their hand in a random helicopter accident is later crushed to death by a random helicopter accident. And nobody notices for days.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Clamknuckle posted:

We don't watch TV for enjoyment 'round here, Chuckles. It's serious business.

Boogaleeboo posted:

The most ridiculous moment is when one of the doctors that lost their hand in a random helicopter accident is later crushed to death by a random helicopter accident. And nobody notices for days.

There are few things that top the death of Rocket Romano and the amount of mirth they heaped on it.

Decius fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 9, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Clamknuckle posted:

I'm more asking so I don't end up buying DVDs I'll never watch.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Pierson posted:

I started watching ER because I need something light and airy while I work. It's pretty good but I''m aware it descends into the TV hell of Ever-Escalating And More Ridiculous Emergency Syndrome, is there a point at which I should stop watching?

season 11 is probably the last season that's actually good, but things start going off the rails into insanity a few seasons before that. they just managed to make it the good & enjoyable kind of insanity

if you continue to watch beyond 11, you get the gifts of Dr. John Leguizamo and Dr. John Stamos but the show is awful otherwise

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Pierson posted:

I'm more asking so I don't end up buying DVDs I'll never watch.

Season 12 was, as I recall, the point where there were no more original cast members left. That is when the quality really started to drop. Season 13 drove straight off a cliff of idiocy and bears no resemblance to ER.

Edit: Once Leguizamo appears everything is poo poo and you should immediately enact DVD defenestration.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 9, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I already know about Robert Romano and the Death Copters because that poo poo was so ridiculous it had people in UK secondary schools talking about it. :v:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Romano/Helicopters blood feud was the best thing ever.

Also around that time someone was GTAing around Chicago in a tank for one finale, and I think in another they all got ebola.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fooz posted:

New Girl is watchable but it's not 'must-watch' by any means.

I mean it's not appointment TV or anything but it never fails to make me laugh out loud several times an episode, so I think that puts it far above most sitcoms.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

New Girl sits in that weird place that no matter whether it's on a good run or bad, it's still the worst thing I regularly watch I think. There's just nothing compelling about it at all really, but there's sometimes a few gags that work and I don't hate the cast. It's not good though and if it got cancelled, I wouldn't give a poo poo.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

New Girl sits in that weird place that no matter whether it's on a good run or bad, it's still the worst thing I regularly watch I think. There's just nothing compelling about it at all really, but there's sometimes a few gags that work and I don't hate the cast. It's not good though and if it got cancelled, I wouldn't give a poo poo.

It's the only show of its type that I like anymore. I watched Happy Endings, but just didn't feel like watching it one week and never went back. I think I like everyone in the cast and I usually laugh more than groan which is about as good as any of those shows gets. I'm glad they're not trying to force much romance anymore. I just want Winston to be weird with a cat and Nick to drink too much and I enjoy it. It's probably not good though, as you said.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Walton Goggins lines up his next transcendent television performance.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

I saw the clips about this but I never honestly understood why the gently caress ER had to stoop to those levels of "CARAZY DARAMA".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Dang, I saw "HBO series" and my first thought was that they lined him up for Fincher Utopia. But Vice Principals could be good all the same.

• Locked thread