Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
This is why I love my cast iron pans.

the fajitas were drat tasty :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

d3rt posted:

Will I be able to get an amazing sear and crust on my steak in an aluminium pan?
Yes and and arguably a better one since the heat will be spread more evenly.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Can you depend on an aluminum skillet as you run through a pack of zombies for the last dash to the safehouse when your M16 runs empty and a boomer pops all over you?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You try swinging a cast iron skillet several times and see how long it is before the zombies eat you because you're too tired to lift it again

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Here is a six minute commercial for whiskey and a 300 dollar (:laffo:) cast iron pan.

(link to their actual website)

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Bourdain looks like he's lost a lot of weight since his last tv series I saw him on.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

niss posted:

Bourdain looks like he's lost a lot of weight since his last tv series I saw him on.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Crack is cheaper and now carrys the same punishment!

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

shankerz posted:

Crack is cheaper
And aluminum is even cheaper :zoid:

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Stop.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Cool video, cool folks, cool process. Sure, always get paid for your work, especially with all the effort they put into their process.

But it's just a slab of iron we're cooking on here, not designer unobtainium. Sheesh.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I'm with you. Did you see how the female part of the equation had nothing to do with the steak?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Paper With Lines posted:

Did you see how the female part of the equation had nothing to do with the steak?
This is probably the gooniest thing I have ever seen in all my years on this forum.

Plus those two people are making 9 pans a day. Of course they're not comparable to the $20 Lodge pan that's made in a large factory that shits out hundreds of pans a day. The pans may not be worth $300, but the cost to produce them is undoubtedly higher than it costs Lodge to make a pan.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

So what does that have to do with your continued insistence that everyone in this thread should stop using cast iron and use aluminium instead?

Also, I meant that the woman in the AB commercial seemed to be a vegetarian. If that is the "gooniest thing I have ever seen in all my years on this forum" then good for you, I spose.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 7, 2015

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got a 10" Wagner Ware griddle today in really great shape for $30. Super excited to cook on it. Will post pictures in a while.

edit: Can anyone help me determine how old it might be? Wagnar Ware Sydney -O- 1109E

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 7, 2015

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Had my first cast iron accident. I cooked a bunch of onions with a bit of olive oil, then rinsed the pan off and set it back on the stove on low and ate. A little while later I smelled smoke, and it seems that some of the oil was beginning to burn. There was a thick black crust around the center, so I went and just scrubbed away all the accumulated everything with soap. Now there's still a deep black spot in the center that I couldn't easily scrub away. I gave the whole thing a coat of olive oil so it shouldn't rust for now, but should I try harder to scrub away the center and give it a proper even seasoning or just say fuckit and cook?

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Just from looking at the thumbnail picture, I thought you burnt a hole in your pan and was like how the gently caress did you do that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

niss posted:

Just from looking at the thumbnail picture, I thought you burnt a hole in your pan and was like how the gently caress did you do that.

yeah that was my initial reaction as well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks to this thread it reminded me of an old cast iron pan I had buried in the oven drawer, busted it out and put some steel wool to it to get some rust out, washed it off and seasoned it, and now I can't wait to make some smash burgers :)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lhet posted:

Had my first cast iron accident. I cooked a bunch of onions with a bit of olive oil, then rinsed the pan off and set it back on the stove on low and ate. A little while later I smelled smoke, and it seems that some of the oil was beginning to burn. There was a thick black crust around the center, so I went and just scrubbed away all the accumulated everything with soap. Now there's still a deep black spot in the center that I couldn't easily scrub away. I gave the whole thing a coat of olive oil so it shouldn't rust for now, but should I try harder to scrub away the center and give it a proper even seasoning or just say fuckit and cook?

No matter how long I look at this I can't not see a hole. Does that pan have any seasoning at all? ( I'm on my phone so maybe it's that)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lhet posted:

Had my first cast iron accident.

Say gently caress it and just keep cooking. The bits of, at this point basically pure carbon ash, will over time flake off and you'll eat it and rinse it away and it's really not a big deal. You can "officially" reseason it later on when it has cleared itself up a bit.

And I also thought you burned a hole in your pan and were simply the first ever internet goon to be hypobolic.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 8, 2015

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Didn't even notice that it looks like a hole when I posted, but I definitely can see it now.

wormil posted:

No matter how long I look at this I can't not see a hole. Does that pan have any seasoning at all? ( I'm on my phone so maybe it's that)
I believe the center is still more or less 'seasoned', as it's pretty much the same color as the edges. I just scrubbed away most of the the normal seasoning when I removed the charred gunk.

Drifter posted:

Say gently caress it and just keep cooking.
Sounds good!

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Paper With Lines posted:

So what does that have to do with your continued insistence that everyone in this thread should stop using cast iron and use aluminium instead?

Also, I meant that the woman in the AB commercial seemed to be a vegetarian. If that is the "gooniest thing I have ever seen in all my years on this forum" then good for you, I spose.
I think you're putting words in my mouth, but I'm not certain because I can't hear you over the sizzling of my even, steady fond

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Hurray, just what the cast iron thread needs, more aluminum chat!

:frogout:

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

But Not Tonight posted:

Hurray, just what the cast iron thread needs, more aluminum chat!

:frogout:
Someday all our castware will be able to live together in harmony,

But Not Tonight.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have one of those reversible lodge grill thingies, smooth on one side and ridged or whatever on the other. If I expose one side to open flames on the stovetop does that gently caress the seasoning up for when I want to use the other side ?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Been using the hell out of the Lodge Dutch oven I got for Christmas. Tonight we are having pulled pork in a combination Jamie Oliver meets redneck southern style. Blistered the fat and skin then covered and cooked for six hours with spices and can of Pepsi. Removed the pork and cooked sweet potatoes in the broth with blackberries. Strained the juices and added the pulled pork back in to warm up.

Apple cider vinegar and hot sauce in a Chivas Regal bottle.

wormil fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 25, 2015

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Lhet posted:

Were you using a cutting torch as a heat source or a local volcano lava pit? Dear god....

Time to buy a new pan and use a stove top for hear source

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I'm pretty sure that's an optical illusion.

I'm basing this on a cutting torch leaving more slag.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Hey you know how past threads made jokes about how house fires would give a pan a perfect seasoning.

My pan looks better.

Myth confirmed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PhazonLink posted:

Hey you know how past threads made jokes about how house fires would give a pan a perfect seasoning.

My pan looks better.

Myth confirmed.

:stonklol:

Everyone ok, at least?

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

MrYenko posted:

Everyone ok, at least?

Well the cast iron came out ok.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Everyone ok, at least?

Yeah everything's fine, except my stove and maybe my thermapen.

Nothing like everything (not) burning down to give one renewed respect for bigass(relatively) fires and fire safety.

At least I now know how to use a fire extinguisher and have an excuse for a sweet rear end induction stove top.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yeah the house we moved into had only one fire extinguisher, in the basement, expired. Fixed that right quick.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Christmas two years ago netted me my first cast iron pan, and to go with it my parents got me a bag of cornmeal, some Crisco, and a cornbread recipe. Those were parts one and two of a three-part gift.

Part three was a fire extinguisher. "Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys."

I actually asked for it, living without one in the kitchen always made me uneasy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So I got an 8" and 12" lodge cast iron skillet. My first question is does your food ever taste metallic-ish and is there any health risks about ingesting metals there? My girlfriend used it initially and I think she left some water in it.

I scrubbed both with some soap and a soft bristle brush and wiped it dry then generously coated it with coconut oil and threw them in the oven at 375 for about 90 minutes. Hopefully that gave it a good seasoning base.

I just cooked a ton of bacon in the 12" one (like 1.5 lbs) I poured all the grease out before it solidified. Then I just wiped it down with some paper towels. It still has a considerable amount of black soot at the bottom. I got some of these scrapers which are pretty great. Should I let it dry more and then just scrape all the soot into a trash can? Just leave it? I should preface by saying I have absolutely poo poo plumbing and can't let any grease and poo poo go down at all.

Curious how you guys handle abundant grease 's all. If you guys have just a tiny bit of grease in there do you just leave it?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Abundant as in 1/4 cup total, or abundant like you just finished deep frying a turkey? A little grease you should pour it into a container and keep it in the fridge or countertop and scoop the grease out as needed for when you oil up your pan and cook on it.

So long as you don't get past the smoke point of whatever oil or grease you're using it will be mostly down for reuse for a while.

When I cook bacon you can be goddanged sure I'm saving that fat for later.

If you want to throw grease away either pour it into a tin can, cover it/wait for it to solidify and junk it, or put the pan in the fridge for an hour and scoop out the now solid grease into the trash.

Black soot might be normal if it's just the season flaking off, the iron/rust grinding smooth with use, or burned bits of food. It's not bad if you eat that. It's inert.

I'd scrape out the stuff that can be scraped out with minimal effort, and then leave the rest to be removed during cleaning/wipings after use.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 27, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I was working on my sister's wedding present today, a small mystery cast iron pan I picked up for free from my aunt. It seems to be in okay shape, except for the millimeters of baked on crud. No fire I had access to could remove it.

Hand sanding was not doing it, so I busted out the oscillating tool and dremel. And with some careful, dirty work, look what I uncovered.

It's a Small Block Griswold #3. So happy :3:

Took it down to bare metal. It's rinsed, dried, and oiled and ready to season tomorrow. It's gonna be perfect for my sister and her husband for pot pies and cornbread.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 28, 2015

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Griswold supremacy :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly