Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well that's a way to end a cutscene/update. Hi Heat, 'sup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hi Heat! Long time no grouch.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I love that Jack Frost shows up and gives us the fat freak question in the same update Heat finally pos up though.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Ten bucks on Heat loving all the things up for his friends.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Cielo makes a surprisingly good straight man. For the Tribvhana, anyway.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Heat

Heat

I don't know how Heat was able to cast magic without tuning, but he used his brand... somehow...

Also another DDS1 flashback.

Silence

He's hiding something!

What's wrong with you!?

The only difference is who's controlling you.

She's Sera's mother!?
Her father as well, to be precise.

...What could she be scheming?

We tried to help, but our warnings were ignored...

Recollection

You mean the Cuvier Syndrome?

Our city does have a limit, afterall...

That's totally insane!

And if they lose control...

And so, food supply is the only remaining concern.

Order will decide.

Silence

We can ensure you will have a peaceful life without hunger and needless killing.

Hey look, it's a dialogue choice. Obviously, then, this is going to be important later. And since there's no reason to do a New Game+ run here...

We'd never join you...

Epic Battle ~ Prelude

Not entirely sure Serph is perfctly fine with this idea but... he is kinda asking for it.

Boss: Asura Agni; 2x Beast Gdon (and some other chumps)

Epic Battle

Well... this is just precious. Just gonna destroy these guys before they can even get a turn and move on.

It's nice of the game to give you those losers to prepare on, though. I don't think they could even tune if you wanted to let them.

Anyway, of course Agni is still weak to Ice and the Gdons he's brought with him are too. Not the best decision he could make.

Of course, he is still the Fire dude and the other two are tigers on fire (which is awesome) so Voiding that it is.

I'll tear you apart!

For some unfathomable reason, Heat quite likes to cast Agidynes in this fight. At least he's smart enough to aim it at Serph almost exclusively, which makes actually having Void Fire/Fire Walls helpful.

Or, uh, just don't use Serph I guess.

The Gdons are much less interesting, though, and work on a simple pattern. The one on our left casts Ice Repel every turn. The one on the right uses regular attacks. She casts Ice Repel if she's alive and her sister is dead though. How taxing.

Since Ice Repel shuts down their one weakness, and Fire is super-blatantly out by default, we need to mix it up a little.

Phys attacks are a bad idea though.

...A very bad idea.

On the other hand, Sukukaja is pretty easy to have by now so that helps mitigate damage a ton. Rakukaja would be better for if you really have to tank it, but that's harder to get.

Neither Heat nor the Gdons have Dekaja or Dekunda which is nice.

Speaking of Heat, when he's not trying to cast Agidyne like a silly person he does use decent Physical attacks at least. Hell Fang is the same as it was before, being a medium damage attack.

For some reason, he also has Mind Charge but no Power Charge. A weird decision but his single-minded "beat Serph" tactic works as a justification.

Obviously, he always follows it up with an Agidyne. A normal one is annoying because its hitting a weakness, of course. This one is actually threatening and could oneshot Serph at max HP.

He also has Double Slash which is something I guess? It might get lucky and kill someone if he crits or hits the same person twice or something.

Once the Gdons are down (only 750HP each by the way), you'd think the fight would change up a bit.

C'mon... Let's go, Serph!

....You'd be wrong, of course. Heat doesn't really change things up at all ever.

Kind of a shame he never gets to be a real challenging fight.

This isn't over. Next time, I'll devour you!

Just keep plugging away at that Ice weakness once you can and his 2000HP won't last very long at all.

At least he drops a Soma, which is nice of him.

...Oh and this fight is probably the only time I'd bother using attack items if only because I kinda didn't get Bufula in time. Or even a non-combo Mabufu but that's my fault for being dumb.

End

Tower of Reunion

What happened to him, bro?

What did they tell him? We need to find out the truth behind all this as soon as possible.

Comrades shouldn't have to fight one another...

We need to keep moving. They won't let us escape that easily.

All very good points, and we'll do just that.

Immediately coming to a Life Terminal seems very nice but don't do it! It's a cunning ruse to steal your money!

unless uh everyone is in crit and out of mp in which case you have bigger problems anyway

Also, man, Heat must've been in a baaaaad mood when he ran off. Those poor plants. :(

Belive it or not we're actually finally nearly done here. I know, I'm shocked too.

um

I don't think Heat did this one. Just a hunch.

There's no point in complaining... The unit and that red Asura guy were sent to capture the remaining Asuras.

You're the wanted Asura!

Heroic Battle

...Man, why do these guys even bother? A single Raskasha and Berith? No reinforcements?

Zanma. Terazi. Fight's over.

Tower of Reunion

The other guys up in this room have red armbands. The guys what were riddled with bullets and that we just killed had blue ones.

Red = SEES Nazis the good guys.
Blue = the guys that aren't traitors and must be fought

More importantly, there's random encounters against new stuff here too. Except, uh, that looks a bit different.

Our Technical Director is waiting for you. Please hurry.

They always get the initiative, talk to us and run away. Because they're not attacking us at all. How nice.

It's just a short walk to our final destination, though...

Jenna Angel

Silence

Angel

What the hell is it you want, anyway?

Liberation?

It's kind of an interesting thing this entire plot beat, really. If this were a more traditional game, you'd expect Heat to be our party member that sides with the Chaos faction and Argilla to be the one with Law. And yet Cuvier's entire ideology and MO is super-transparently the intended equivalent to the Law faction and Heat's sided with her...

So they can devour each other!?
*laughs*
'eh, what you laughin' at?

Oh? And, what is dat?

...Angel straight up admitted to being the closest equivalent to a Chaos figurehead already, but Argilla doesn't exactly agree with her either (to the point of needing to be restrained by Cielo!). So close to completely reversing the obvious expectation.

Silence

Also: an actual flashback that isn't just reusing cutscenes from the first game!

It, uh, it doesn't last long though.

One fade to black later...

now a flashback that is just reused dds1 footage.

again.

Those poor nameless mooks. About to get completely slaughtered by Hari-Hara.

But we don't get to see that. Instead, we get to take the plane and follow Cielo out of...

...wait is that...

End

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Wow, they're going real heavy-handed with the Law/Chaos here.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
And now they raise the stakes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I hope this is the part I think it is. Shine on, Cielo. :allears:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

So uh, did Cuvier do something weird to the sun or something? :psyduck:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Neurion posted:

So uh, did Cuvier do something weird to the sun or something? :psyduck:

The game will explain the chain of events that led to the sun being like this and while she's certainly on the list of people who are at fault though it's a pretty long one and she's definitely not on the top.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Even if we don't get to see what follows, Angel ripping open her jacket to reveal her Atma and saying that she's one of the oldest if not THE oldest demons alive is pretty badass.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Unfortunately they kind of telegraph Heat not rejoining the party via the game mechanics. With Roland rejoining the party and the interface unchanged, there's no space for Heat's face slot there.

Content-wise this update is pretty awesome.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

So DDS was my second SMT game (after Persona 2: EP) and the whole law/chaos thing in these scenes didn't even register. Funny that.

Granted DDS has a lot of other poo poo going on so 'rarr work for this side' shenanigans rank low on the list of thing worth thinking about.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang. So Hari-Hara wasn't just some manifestation of admin powers after all?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Probably the second form of it would be I expect, although given some people's demonic forms that is also possible that both are normal for her.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Hunger Wave was the main thing she straight up cheated to herself, everything else seems to be all her though we won't get good evidence for the second form until the last dungeon.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Angel's pretty unique in that she's explicitly a hermaphrodite. I can't think of many characters like that. She's not used as merely a fetish either, and seems to have (had) a healthy relationship with a male character.

(The other hermaphrodite I can think of is in a PS3 RPG)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

"Hermaphrodite" is not used to describe humans, though. Unless being an Asura counts as being non-human in that sense, but somehow I doubt it.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Artelier posted:

Angel's pretty unique in that she's explicitly a hermaphrodite. I can't think of many characters like that. She's not used as merely a fetish either, and seems to have (had) a healthy relationship with a male character.

(The other hermaphrodite I can think of is in a PS3 RPG)

I think the big question is whether she was always a hermaphrodite or if her mad :science: tendencies made her modify her body to such an extent so she could create Sera.

Pollyanna posted:

"Hermaphrodite" is not used to describe humans, though. Unless being an Asura counts as being non-human in that sense, but somehow I doubt it.

Yes, the preferred term is "intersex" but for the most part it means the same thing.

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 8, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Given Angel's the only primary source as to what gender parts she has and does not exactly provide information that should be considered 100% reliable I've never been sure if she's actually a hermaphrodite or not. At the minimum I think there is a competing explanation (though it's a spoiler) that suggests a compelling reason she might make that claim.

I mean the main evidences for are 1) she says she is 2) her avatar is Hari-Hara, who is both male and female.

There's also a third option as to this, but again spoilers.

EDIT: And again we know she TOLD everyone that's what was done. But she's unapologetically an awful person so I see no reason to trust that her chain of events was accurate.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 8, 2015

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

^^^ Yeah, all we know is that an egg and a sperm both containing Angel's DNA were used to create (clone?) Sera. Could be anything. Right now, I'm more interested in who the hell this David guy is and why he looks like Gale.

mauman posted:

I think the big question is whether she was always a hermaphrodite or if her mad :science: tendencies made her modify her body to such an extent so she could create Sera.

Yes, the preferred term is "intersex" but for the most part it means the same thing.

I've never played this game before, but I like to believe she's canonically either intersex or possibly trans. Minority representation is well appreciated, although Angel certainly isn't perfect.

But she's the Chaos leader and Chaos is the best so hey :black101:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The game says she is and never contradicts itself on that notion, so honestly she probably is. Doing a bit of research here that manifests in lots of ways in humans.

It's just that she's extremely untrustworthy and obviously is the actual source behind any information we get on the subject.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I understand your point about her being a lying liar who lies, but what would the point be in lying about that? Even if she only figuratively created Sera as both parents using science/magic to make up the missing sperm, why not just say that? Anyway, I don't think I've seen another intersex character in a video game. Not that I can recall anyway. So that's pretty cool.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Kaine in Nier would be the only other one I can think of.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I understand your point about her being a lying liar who lies, but what would the point be in lying about that? Even if she only figuratively created Sera as both parents using science/magic to make up the missing sperm, why not just say that? Anyway, I don't think I've seen another intersex character in a video game. Not that I can recall anyway. So that's pretty cool.

I can think of why but spoilers.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Someone in Catherine too.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It was Cuvier who told the gang that Sera was created from Angel's sperm and egg, and even if you assume she would lie to them for some reason she also casually expositioned about it while having a private conversation with Angel herself. I don't remember Angel telling the gang "by the way I have two sets of genitals", she was kinda more preoccupied with the whole survival-of-the-fittest, go kill Cuvier thing.

I guess the jury's out on whether the sperm was artificially created or that she's intersex, but her avatar being Hari Hara kinda suggests the latter to me.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

It was Cuvier who told the gang that Sera was created from Angel's sperm and egg, and even if you assume she would lie to them for some reason she also casually expositioned about it while having a private conversation with Angel herself. I don't remember Angel telling the gang "by the way I have two sets of genitals", she was kinda more preoccupied with the whole survival-of-the-fittest, go kill Cuvier thing.

I guess the jury's out on whether the sperm was artificially created or that she's intersex, but her avatar being Hari Hara kinda suggests the latter to me.

I'm mostly just noting that perhaps barring that David guy we've seen in those flashbacks there's probably nobody but Angel herself to attest to what she does or doesn't have as far as secondary gender characteristics, so even when other people are saying a thing the information came from her at the end of the day. And she has even more reason to lie to Cuvier than she would to us because she despises Cuvier with the fiery passion of a black death sun and has for quite some time. I mean she hates the party but she hates everyone so that's not really a surprise.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 8, 2015

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm just not sure how telling Cuvier "hey Margot by the way, I have a dick" figures into sabotaging her plans. Plus as you said yourself nothing in the game gives any evidence that she lied and if anything, it makes more thematic sense for it to be true. Meanwhile suggesting she just made poo poo up because she's a bad person isn't exactly compelling evidence.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm just not sure how telling Cuvier "hey Margot by the way, I have a dick" figures into sabotaging her plans. Plus as you said yourself nothing in the game gives any evidence that she lied and if anything, it makes more thematic sense for it to be true. Meanwhile suggesting she just made poo poo up because she's a bad person isn't exactly compelling evidence.

I think I've made it pretty clear that I can't defend alternate positions on the chain of events wherein she's not being entirely truthful without spoiling the gently caress out of the game, which I don't plan on doing. I can't even say what I actually think it's possible she's lying about.

This argument is also pretty silly because I'm pretty sure this will never, ever be mentioned by the game again in any context so I'm going to just stop now.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 8, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

Someone in Catherine too.

Catherine spoilers: Transgender and intersex are not synonymous.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Terper posted:

Catherine spoilers: Transgender and intersex are not synonymous.

Agreed. I was referring to the part about intersex or transgendered characters in videogames. Maybe I misread something?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

Agreed. I was referring to the part about intersex or transgendered characters in videogames. Maybe I misread something?

Pollyana did bring up transgender, but not in the context of minorities in video games. That was Arcade Rabbit and neongrey, and those posts were only about intersex representation. Maybe I'm just being a bit pedantic about it, but the way you worded your post made it seem like you inferred that Erica was intersex. v:v:v

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Feinne posted:

I mean the main evidences for are 1) she says she is 2) her avatar is Hari-Hara, who is both male and female.

Actually, Hari-Hara is NOT a hermaphrodite, as Hari-Hara is a combination of Shiva and Vishnu, who are both male deities (though Vishnu does have a female avatar.) I think you confused Hari-Hara with Ardhanarishvana (AKA Ardha), the fusion of Shiva and his consort Parvati. Ardha IS a hermaphrodite, and the name means "the Lord who is half woman".

I know it's a little nit-picky, but I'm studying Hinduism right now and it just bugged me.

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 8, 2015

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Terper posted:

Pollyana did bring up transgender, but not in the context of minorities in video games. That was Arcade Rabbit and neongrey, and those posts were only about intersex representation. Maybe I'm just being a bit pedantic about it, but the way you worded your post made it seem like you inferred that Erica was intersex. v:v:v

Nah, just glazed over on my phone. My bad.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

I remember taking the implication the Angel used sperm from her demon form to create Sera, hence her having so much magical mojo, although I don't think that actually jives with the game's timeline in retrospect.

That said I'm pretty sure that in humans being intersex almost always results in infertility and there aren't any cases of humans being dual fertile. Granted with science you can turn just about any old cell into sperm, but still we can definitely from a real-world perspective have cause to doubt Angel here on top of her unrepentant asshattery.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

CmdrKing posted:

I remember taking the implication the Angel used sperm from her demon form to create Sera, hence her having so much magical mojo, although I don't think that actually jives with the game's timeline in retrospect.

That said I'm pretty sure that in humans being intersex almost always results in infertility and there aren't any cases of humans being dual fertile. Granted with science you can turn just about any old cell into sperm, but still we can definitely from a real-world perspective have cause to doubt Angel here on top of her unrepentant asshattery.

To be fair, from a real-world perspective the sun doesn't generally turn people to stone :v:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Actually, Hari-Hara is NOT a hermaphrodite, as Hari-Hara is a combination of Shiva and Vishnu, who are both male deities (though Vishnu does have a female avatar.) I think you confused Hari-Hara with Ardhanarishvana (AKA Ardha), the fusion of Shiva and his consort Parvati. Ardha IS a hermaphrodite, and the name means "the Lord who is half woman".

I know it's a little nit-picky, but I'm studying Hinduism right now and it just bugged me.

Ugh you're right, I did confuse Hari-Hara with Ardha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I'm not certain how comfortable I am with the implication that Sera couldn't be more inbred if she was in a sandwich.

• Locked thread