Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

TOOT BOOT posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nethack/comments/2tluxv/yaap_fullauto_bot_ascension_bothack

Someone made a Nethack bot that actually ascended, which is to my knowledge the first time this has been done with a complex roguelike.

Good times starting at 5:30ish in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unCQHAbGsAA&t=336s

50,000 turns of black pudding farming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Rolled up an axe turtle in CoQ, headed to Red Rock, explored for a bit, had a knock-down, drag-out fight with a Snapjaw Brute, won, rested up, got tangled up in a Jilted Lover, died. Just couldn't hit the thing to save my life, literally.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
At very low levels that can occasionally happen since you probably have like 10 agility and 22 hit points and jilted lovers can do a decent chunk of damage if they grab you and you keep whiffing your attacks. Carry a bow or musket and shoot at 'em from two squares away for the first few levels. Later on you're so loving strong and durable that you'll wander through their grabs without immediately noticing anything is happening half the time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Guns are a good idea in general. Just about any of them will be stronger and penetrate better than your melee attacks til you get carbide or better weapons. Of special note is the flamethrower, since it is really a 15 penetration shotgun with way more accuracy, a couple extra pellets.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 5, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Things I learned today:

1) It is entirely possible to sunder your own mind if you're lazy with targeting and mash the button, assuming it'll snap to the nearest enemy instead of defaulting to your tile.

2) The tough Machinimist bodyguards at the bottom of Bethesda Susa have Mental Mirror.

3) If you're a psychic mega-wizard with rank 11 Sunder Mind, massive Ego, and mediocre Willpower, sundering yourself really hurts :saddowns: On the bright side, I got this dude's radical Ego-increasing robe to go with my knollworm skull and now I'm a psychic giga-wizard and can sunder myself even harder!

4) Walking up to the back of the cybernetic thingies in Bethesda Susa and hitting space lets you steal the modules out of them. You can't do anything with them, but you can steal them out of spite in revenge for the stupid racist computers not letting mutants use their services. So I guess I have an ornamental Eigencannon now.

dis astranagant posted:

Of special note is the flamethrower, since it is really a 15 penetration shotgun with way more accuracy, a couple extra pellets.

Whoa. I always thought it was mainly for applying damage-over-time, but if it also hits enemies with raw fire damage via multiple projectiles, that's pretty badass. I gotta get one of those on my next bruiser.

edit: I also noticed a bug with Clonelings and Temporal Fugue. When a Cloneling fights one of your time clones, it can clone the clone, creating a creature called [Creature] that looks like a time clone and seems to have no equipment or abilities, as well as completely lacking a description of any kind.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 5, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Fates of my various axe turtles:

1) Killed by a jilted lover
2) Found a yuckwheat stem and 40 drams of water in the Joppa houses, and the camel trader had a folded carbide battle axe. Got killed by the trader while trying to shoot him down with a musket.
3) Wandered into Red Rock and was immediately accosted by a Snapjaw Brute and its entourage.
4) Entered Joppa, and Mehmet immediately attacked Warden Ualraig, with predictable results. Lacking a way to start the What's Eating the Watervine quest, committed suicide by snapjaw.
EDIT 5) encountered a bear on level 2 of Red Rock, fled, got lost en route back to Joppa, and was killed by his evil twin.

:saddowns:

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 6, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The watervine quest is completely optional and I don't recommend doing it til after you do the weirdwire quest. If you get screwed out of starting artifacts just ctrl+w for metal folding chairs, which are worthless for anything but starting the main quest.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Fates of my various axe turtles:

1) Killed by a jilted lover
2) Found a yuckwheat stem and 40 drams of water in the Joppa houses, and the camel trader had a folded carbide battle axe. Got killed by the trader while trying to shoot him down with a musket.
3) Wandered into Red Rock and was immediately accosted by a Snapjaw Brute and its entourage.
4) Entered Joppa, and Mehmet immediately attacked Warden Ualraig, with predictable results. Lacking a way to start the What's Eating the Watervine quest, committed suicide by snapjaw.
EDIT 5) encountered a bear on level 2 of Red Rock, fled, got lost en route back to Joppa, and was killed by his evil twin.

:saddowns:

I am pleased by this report that Caves of Qud on Steam is in perfect working order. :toot:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I would recommend against taking Evil Twin on axe turtles. Beyond a point you'll be randomly getting into brutal dismemberfights with yourself, which is highly metal but not great for your survivability. Take Spontaneous Combustion, Ravenous, or Amphibious. They're all fairly easy to manage.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I would recommend against taking Evil Twin on axe turtles. Beyond a point you'll be randomly getting into brutal dismemberfights with yourself, which is highly metal but not great for your survivability.

Why do you hate fun :mad:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So i've been listening to KillerofLawyers play Catacylsm and a wonderful conversation followed, I'm wondering if Caves of Qud has something like this or can have something like this added: You know that super cool character you were playing on another save that you abandoned awhile back? Yeah, that's now an NPC in your new world with your new character.

Hope you like running away from the mutated dryad queen with alluring fae features who sprouts overgrowth in her wake that you just finished min/maxing you motherfucker! :stonk:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Why do you hate fun :mad:

I highly recommend taking Evil Twin on an Esper with Temporal Fugue and Light Manipulation. Mass laser death rave :pcgaming:

e: Screamy perished in the Tomb of the Eaters, looking for that weapons cache. That place is a loving mess :( Next time I'll just go destroy the plants and have done with it. The monsters aren't even as dangerous as the ones in Bethesda but the sheer ridiculous number of them gets overwhelming, and those damned Frustums keep leaving acid everywhere and ugh.

Does the Steam version suffer less from the memory leak or whatever massively lag-inducing bug it is that afflicts saved characters from longer-running games? It was seriously crippling for Screamy before he finally bit the dust, and I've actually lost an axe turtle or two to the game lagging so badly it crashes when it tries to load them (this seems to only happen when I delve the Swilling Vast for experience and crysteel gear, suggesting that it's the number of maps visited that eventually brings the game to its knees).

e2: Hey I found the lair of a legendary Equimax! Maybe I can kite it and kill it with my gun for an easy pile of ex-

:stare: Don't mind me, giant terrifying legendary two-headed turtle horse, I'm just passing through (and loving kicking myself for playing a True Man swordfighter instead of a Beguiling psychic Pokemon master)

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 6, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, you guys all said it was a little too easy.

We have a plan.

:colbert:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Unormal posted:

We have a plan.

You are sick.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So I just run away from those like I did from the paired ones.

...you monster.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It won't really be complete until it spawns some black slime every time you kill one.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Unormal posted:

We have a plan.

Oh Jesus gently caress.

That gave me chills Unormal.

---

In The Pit news the newest DLC is Necromancer which came out on Jan 28th.

quote:

Take control of Azraeus the Defiler, a servant of The Immortal, one of the ancient and mysterious Suul'ka! Raised from the dead and promised new life in a new body, Azraeus is determined to fulfill his mission: clear out The Pit and steal the cure to the Xombie plague. As dangerous as any Horde Zuul warrior, Azraeus is a unique Character with powers and abilities never before seen in the Pit.

He is a... NECROMANCER!

Features
New playable character, Azraeus the Defiler!
Raise undead minions to aid you!
Soul Crush your enemies as fuel for your psychic powers!
Enjoy immunity to poison, disease, even hunger! But keep an eye on your psionic power - when it's gone, you're gone!
New recipes!
New weapons!
New items!
New monsters!
New achievements!

Also there is a discussion on the Kerberos forums about the possibility of The Pit II. http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=53707

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 9, 2015

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Unormal posted:

We have a plan.

I'm going to need an explanation.

And also a Steam Qud key in my pm box. :colbert:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Lprsti99 posted:

I'm going to need an explanation.

Twinning Lampreys are nigh-invincible assholes because you have to kill both of them on the same turn or else they revive, and Unormal went and made three of them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Twinning Lampreys are nigh-invincible assholes because you have to kill both of them on the same turn or else they revive, and Unormal went and made three of them.

Twinning Lampreys can eat poo poo :colbert: They're interesting and challenging enemies and work quite well in their design space, which is "giant assholes that the player should hate and fear."

Still working on the next podcast episode. Unormal, we'd like to include a link to Qud in our notes; do you want me to use the link to the Freehold Games page, or should I direct people right to the CoQ beta thread, or somewhere else?

Also, how's this sound for a first draft of the :torgue:-esque introductory rant to grab peoples' interest before I segue into a brief discussion of mechanics and worldbuilding?

quote:

Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT PLANTS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT ANIMALS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT BUGS. Kill a bear and EAT IT, just EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. KILL EVERYTHING. Descend into the DEPTHS OF THE WORLD and retrieve ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL ARTIFACTS. KNIFE-FIGHT a GIANT DRILL ROBOT and WIN. Be a COOL WASTELAND KNIGHT. Be a TWO-FISTED COWBOY. Be a HOMICIDAL NINJA TURTLE with an AXE and a SHOTGUN. SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES. Get into a GUNFIGHT with a HYENA-MONSTER and accidentally anger a HERD OF MAJESTIC HULKING DEMON HORSES with your crossfire. Fly into the air like a BEAUTIFUL EAGLE and then SWORD-FIGHT a GIANT DRAGONFLY. MIND CONTROL a TWO-HEADED BOAR and MAKE IT WEAR CHAIN MAIL and KILL YOUR ENEMIES. Encounter a LEGENDARY PLANT with an INTIMIDATING SKULL MASK and the ability to THROW FIERY DEATH FROM ITS HANDS. CONTRACT HORRIFYING DISEASES. Go to THE DEATHLANDS and discover that THE DEATHLANDS are called THE DEATHLANDS because they will KILL YOU DEAD. HACK OFF A ROBOT’S HEAD AND EAT IT. Get into a SLEDGEHAMMER DUEL with a ‘ROIDED-OUT SUPERCANNIBAL. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE that you BREAK A BOX OF CRAYONS attempting to figure out what it is. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY GIFTED that you can make an ACID GRENADE out of a PLASTIC TREE and a FOLDING CHAIR. Build your own FLAMETHROWER. Build your own LASER GUN. Build your own HANDHELD NUCLEAR BOMB and BLOW YOURSELF UP WITH IT. Collect MAGMA in a CANTEEN. Pour MAGMA into a pool of ACID to see what happens. DRINK MAGMA. TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY. Have your LEGS CUT OFF and then REGROW YOUR LEGS and pick up your previous legs and EAT YOUR OWN LEGS. Encounter your EVIL TWIN and then summon six of your own GOOD TWINS to fight your evil twin’s SIX EVIL TWIN TWINS in a FOURTEEN-WAY PSYCHIC LASER DEATH RAVE and then BURN TO DEATH when all of the combined PYROKINETIC MIND FIRE from all of the TIME CLONES causes the ENTIRE MAP TO COMBUST AND MELT.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also, how's this sound for a first draft of the :torgue:-esque introductory rant to grab peoples' interest before I segue into a brief discussion of mechanics and worldbuilding?

Sounds about right. I never did work up the courage to actually drink the magma though. :supaburn:

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Twinning Lampreys can eat poo poo :colbert: They're interesting and challenging enemies and work quite well in their design space, which is "giant assholes that the player should hate and fear."

Still working on the next podcast episode. Unormal, we'd like to include a link to Qud in our notes; do you want me to use the link to the Freehold Games page, or should I direct people right to the CoQ beta thread, or somewhere else?

:newlol:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

Awesome :captainpop:

You can link right to the beta thread with the download links, that's the quickest way to get playing, currently.

(It's sort of amusing that all of those things are just things you can literally do in Caves of Qud, without a whole lot of embellishment.)

Unormal fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 9, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Can you do :torgue:'s voice? :pray:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Helical Nightmares posted:

I was imagining it as spoken by that guy, and then about three sentences in my mental VA gave up and started coughing. This is not something you can do in one take, I expect.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Angry Diplomat posted:

Everyone over on gooncave is quoting this and its magical. MAGICAL. :magical:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Oh - baetyl, baetyl, baetyl,
They made it out of chrome.
And when it's waxed and ready,
I'll have a new genome.

:golfclap:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Thyrork posted:

Everyone over on gooncave is quoting this and its magical. MAGICAL. :magical:

I don't know what gooncave is but I'm glad to please I guess :v:

Helical Nightmares posted:

I doubt I could do him justice, but I'm willing to give it my best approximation. I'm torn between that and a disconcertingly cheerful salesman voice like something out of an old-fashioned advertising spot.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Angry Diplomat posted:

CAPITAL LETTERS EVERYWHERE

That was glorious.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
More like Lamptreys amirite?
:boom:

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also, how's this sound for a first draft of the :torgue:-esque introductory rant

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

New thought. Get the guy from Bhutanese Passport to narrate this.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

More like Lamptreys amirite?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Angry Diplomat posted:

I don't know what gooncave is but I'm glad to please I guess :v:

A teamspeak server. :3:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Whoah, Transendance is on Greenlight? Let's vote that poo poo up!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=370711368

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's a game that's been free and worth playing for a very long time, and like TOME, is probably going to stay free with some paid options. It's good and I wish it success.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

For some reason I heard the entire paragraph in the Brawndo voice rather than Torgue's voice.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yep, Transcendence has really been gaining momentum lately with the robust little paid expansions on top of the usual updates---should be a great fit for Steam.

http://multiverse.kronosaur.com/catalog.hexm

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Transcendence was awesome when I played it years ago. Has much changed in it in the past 4ish years?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Qud chat

After sending more than a few True Men to their graves; then remembering to: bring bandages for those goddamn true ivories, run away from pink (legendary) snapjaws, invest in butchering so I don't starve, invest in toughness to +4 for the necessary extra hp, and throw freeze grenades FAR away so you don't freeze yourself and look on morosely while the badass monster who resisted freezing leisurely paper cuts you to death; I FINALLY got a True Man to level 7 and traveled to Kyakukya.

Evidently I accidentally ran into Svenlainard, which turned him hostile, which in turn caused Warden Indrix to terminate him. Now it's amusing when the Argyve beats the Six-Day Silt cultist to a pulp for interrupting his valuable concentration. But when Svenlainard dies this way, I can get his killer swords and the rest of his gear without effort. Seems too easy.

Also in the latest build I can apparently escape from any zone situation to the overland even when enemies are chasing me. The only times I cannot get out of a zone and move to the overland is when I'm lost. This was not the case in previous versions and it seems too easy now.

Edit: Does wearing bucklers on more than one arm convey any extra advantage?

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

As far as I know, wearing multiple shields does not grant any advantage, and is actually detrimental since you get the DV penalty from all of them.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be possible, but it kinda owns regardless. Mutant doom robot :black101:

e: Ahaha it got into a fight with a beetlebum and kept cloning more beetlebums to fight until the room was just a mountain of beetle corpses

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 10, 2015