Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Was reading down that list and this jumped out:

quote:

22. Mpumelelo Mbangwa (Zimbabwe) - WC winner

Kinda disappointing I missed that world cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

I kind of like the idea that for a given tournament the participants kits are based on the same basic template. I like that we can see any shot of any country and say "that was the 1992 world cup".

edit: although Zimbabwe doesn't have a name written, weird. They qualified by winning the 1990 ICC Trophy so they knew well in advance, otherwise I would have thought maybe they weren't sure who'd qualify when they made the gear.

edit2: no it's just that top, the name was there during matches.

gabensraum fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 8, 2015

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

gabensraum posted:

edit: although Zimbabwe doesn't have a name written, weird. They qualified by winning the 1990 ICC Trophy so they knew well in advance, otherwise I would have thought maybe they weren't sure who'd qualify when they made the gear.

Dude is wearing a knitted vest over his shirt. Country name is probably under that?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Dude is wearing a knitted vest over his shirt. Country name is probably under that?

Ah, good eyes.

Mystery solved, good job team.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
For anyone that's an idiot like me Grandstand are doing commentary for the world cup warmup game but it's on the actual ABC grandstand website this time, not the Cricket Australia app, probably because it's an ICC event i guess

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Glenn's done an AB-lite. Devious plan by India here to secure his special brand of disappointment has a place in the Aus line-up for the whole WC.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Waited all game for Maxwell to do something completely stupid and ridiculous and he didn't disappoint.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

It takes a certain intellect to be reverse sweeping without a helmet.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Watto a little underdone obviously, 3 runs short of WATTOZONE

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Is this on TV somewhere in Australia?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Does this count as a List A game or does it have full ODI status?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Probably neither. Each side has more than 11 players.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

This is probably region blocked in aus but as I live in a country that has no broadcast rights of the WC I just bought it: http://www.starsports.com/ssplus/index.html $25, all matches and the quality is as good as your connection, includes warm up games.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

Probably neither. Each side has more than 11 players.

Do the cops know about this?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

iajanus posted:

Is this on TV somewhere in Australia?
The warm up games are not. For some reason it was broadcast into NZ, but their own ones aren't.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Looks like Guptill is batting really well against this top tier opposition who shall go unnamed.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A reminder that India are still to win a match on this tour of Aus.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Looks like Guptill is batting really well against this top tier opposition who shall go unnamed.

As opposed to the rest of our line up. :/

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I saw some adds showing the 1992 replica shirts are selling for around $60, while the current WC replicas are selling for a ridiculous $120.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Got his gently caress you ton, then stopped.

A true warming up performance.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Apparently Brad McNamara comments on Gideon Haigh's blog when he thinks Gideon's bashing Channel 9:

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/cutsandglances/index.php/theaustralian/comments/night_shift/

quote:

Same Old 9 Bashing
Fri 06 Feb 15 (03:22pm)
Been wondering how long your agenda driven 9 bashing would take - where have you been all summer? I suppose if you think incessantly annoying shots every second ball of the commentators in a disco setting and discussing a seagull for the first 10 overs of a semi final among many other things is non indulgent - you’re probably right. We won’t even get into the true difference in broadcast quality, feature interviews, expert analysis or the amount of dismissals missed due to poor camera work. I doubt you would know the difference as you are blinded by your pitiful agenda. You want indulgent, let’s critique some of the pompous rubbish you have tossed out there this summer. Need examples? Let’s begin by debating some of the comments above?

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/cutsandglances/index.php/theaustralian/comments/silent_running/desc

quote:

Gideon 9 bashing - again
Thu 10 Oct 13 (08:35am)
The self appointed conscience of Australian Cricket has spoken again, As always, everyone is entitled to their opinion, however, the last piece of advice Ch9 would be giving David in regards his appearances on TV would be anything from Gideon Haig. Our feedback has been the total opposite in regards having David join us yesterday. Many found it intresting to actually hear his thoughts on various aspects of the game rather than reading boring and predictable print articles or faceless blogs (sound familiar) or watching him at a distance through a helmet..You keep the audio down Gideon, maybe you can commentate to yourself in the mirror and then you will be happy to be heard by the one person in Australian cricket who truly cares about your opinion, yourself.

quote:

9 Bashing
Thu 10 Oct 13 (09:27pm)
The Australlian is a great publication, I read it every day. Unfortunately, I don’t get to choose certain columnists in certain areas that interest me, such as Cricket. A bit like watching a TV broadcast I would reckon, not that hard to skip the bits that you don’t like, just turn the page or change the channel and get on with life. Only reason I would ever have to read one your diatribes is when I am mentioned personally or my employer Ch9 via Google search. I would generally pass otherwise. Dave and I will be sure to give you a cheerio on air tomorrow, better have the captions on so you can see it!

This goes a long way to explaining why 9's coverage is the way it is and refuses to consider improving

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Best ever chance of NZ winning the World Cup.

*all out to Zimbabwe for under 200.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Shmoses posted:

Apparently Brad McNamara comments on Gideon Haigh's blog when he thinks Gideon's bashing Channel 9:

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/cutsandglances/index.php/theaustralian/comments/night_shift/

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/cutsandglances/index.php/theaustralian/comments/silent_running/desc

This goes a long way to explaining why 9's coverage is the way it is and refuses to consider improving

Part of me wishes Kerry Packer was still alive, he would have fired James Brayshaw into the sun by now.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Zimbabwe are lucky the rain is saving them.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Good start for the West Indies in this warmup.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Woakes is going to be bowler of the tournament

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

If someone score a century and there's no one around to see it, did it ever really happen?

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Windies are a bad team.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Scylo posted:

Woakes is going to be bowler of the tournament

Leading the 7th best bowling attack to a world cup win no less.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

If someone score a century and there's no one around to see it, did it ever really happen?

It didn't officially happen because warm up games don't count

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Will England take 50 overs to chase 150ish runs?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Guptill: only ever scoring runs when they literally don't count.
The rest of the team should be embarrassed as gently caress, though.
E: conspiracy theory corner: the rest of the team agreed to get out for gently caress all to try and boost his confidence. At least, I hope that's the case.

The Rabbi T. White fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 9, 2015

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

E: conspiracy theory corner: the rest of the team agreed to get out for gently caress all to try and boost his confidence. At least, I hope that's the case.

Why does he need the confidence boost? This thread told me he was thrashing them in the nets and due for a big one

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

If a match doesn't count, do dodgy book-keepers still take bets on it? Do they offer money to players for making unexpected results happen?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Seems about right.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The opening bowler for Afghanistan is 140kph+ and has a bandana and warpaint, he rules.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
gently caress I hope India gets rolled by Afghanistan.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Already two down for gently caress all.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Cricinfo has its own fantasy league.

It seems like the weightings are better, I couldn't pick my icc fantasy team with it.

Games.Espncricinfo.com/fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I feel like the one area where minnows should be competitive is in their fielding but they always let themselves down in that department.