Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i feel like no one is going to eat anyone

sasha might eat someone but it'll be unrelated to titan stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

After this chapter I am super ready for Historia to be the main protagonist rather than Eren.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I just want to see Historia throw more people into the ground.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Am I the only one who felt like this chapter is setting up Eren to eat Historia? I feel like it's going to come out that his family is also one of those immune bloodlines, or his dad did something to make him so, and so he'll be able to take the True History without breaking. I definitely feel like that response to learning the truth might be some kind of implanted Coordinate command and immunity to that is going to be important.

After this last chapter when they talk about what happened to the personalities of the royals post-succession I get the feeling that it's been the other way around this whole time. The person doing the eating is subsequently consumed or overwhelmed by a hive mind or more dominant power and only retain limited amount of freedom afterward. Perhaps the basement involves allowing Eren access to the power while circumventing its will.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Historia filling the traditional role of the shounen protagonist would own super hard.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Move over Mikasa, Historia is going to be our lead heroine now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Am I the only one who felt like this chapter is setting up Eren to eat Historia? I feel like it's going to come out that his family is also one of those immune bloodlines, or his dad did something to make him so, and so he'll be able to take the True History without breaking. I definitely feel like that response to learning the truth might be some kind of implanted Coordinate command and immunity to that is going to be important.

Why would Eren need to eat Historia? He's the one that needs to be eaten, eating Historia wouldn't do anything.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Is there a fanart anywhere of a Eren Titan/Eva-01 hybrid? Cause I'm 70% sure that is what Eren will turn into.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
He's going to look like the armoured titan. Duh.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

This series goddamn better end with the surviving cast attending Historia and Ymir's wedding, that's all I'm asking.

JosephWongKS posted:

The series better end with a wedding between Historia and Ymir, that's all I'm asking.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Awesome chapter, loving series always turning into a direction nobody could predict.

So is kinda confirmed that the Reiss created both the Wall and the Titans themselves. They were never protecting humanity, but just confining it and controlling it, following some kind of ancient determination that even they cant understand. With that in mind, both Grisha actions and everything Annie/Berthold/Reiner did can be justified, it seems that they were really working to free humanity.

I loved how Historia made all the right questions to make her father confess the whole thing and the "God" bullshit, and then refused it.

Eren is going to grown into some huge turtle-like shell and save almost everyone. Someone important will die, I would bet on Levi.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I thought the religious perspective was interesting. It seems it wasn't a cover up, for them it's really a sacred ceremony where they "call back" God on Earth when the next in line obtains all the memories, and "pray" for his decision (go on as they are, fight the titans, etc). His way of acting makes a bit more sense seen it from a religious zeal pov, he wasn't manipulating Historia, he really believed his own BS.
One of two, or they weight of knowledge is so heavy it transforms everyone making it act as the past heirs, or maybe obtaining all the memories isn't like a library of memories you can access, but the entire personality is overwritten.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

So wait, was Rod admitting to leading (or at least being in) the Wallists?

Also Levi's reaction to the collapse of the chamber ceiling I love that dry observational style

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Well well well, it looks like Eren can finally get hard.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Is it Annie armor or Reiner armor?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Personally, I'm hoping for armour claws. His Titan has always been the least human looking, barring :wookie:, so it seems fair that his new final form would be even more bestial. I am pretty pumped about this.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

Speaking of Monkey Trouble, the serums and apparent ease of acquiring special titan powers paints him in a new light. I wonder if there's a "Spawn Titan" serum in that bag. I also wonder whether there are other "kings" in the world that shaped different societies according to their respective convictions. This manga so good.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

AshB posted:

Is it Annie armor or Reiner armor?

On other boards, I've heard people say the label on the serum says both Armor and Braun, Reiner's last name.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Atleast Rod Reiss turned into a monster now so he can be killed finally.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Tenzarin posted:

Atleast Rod Reiss turned into a monster now so he can be killed finally.

I can't help but wonder if we're about to see the reason he isn't supposed to become a titan.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Hodgepodge posted:

I can't help but wonder if we're about to see the reason he isn't supposed to become a titan.

After hearing his story about his father and brother, I'm think he was just full of poo poo about not supposed to become a titan. I think he's just a coward and didn't want the responsibility.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
I wish crunchy was better at two page spreads. :doh:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

I doubt Rod wanted to turn Historia into a colossal titan underground. Maybe some aspect of your titan form is based on your individual self and not just the serum used. Eren's got a 15m type, Ymir got the 5m, and Rod knew he had the colossal flavor.

...But I guess that doesn't explain why there aren't mindless colossals walking around :eng99:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zogundar posted:

After this last chapter when they talk about what happened to the personalities of the royals post-succession I get the feeling that it's been the other way around this whole time. The person doing the eating is subsequently consumed or overwhelmed by a hive mind or more dominant power and only retain limited amount of freedom afterward. Perhaps the basement involves allowing Eren access to the power while circumventing its will.

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!

e: Eren is gonna go through the contents of that medical case like a crack fiend.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 10, 2015

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Sub Harrison posted:

...But I guess that doesn't explain why there aren't mindless colossals walking around :eng99:

There are... In the walls! I'm betting that the Colassals are too big to move on their own, too. Bert was never shown taking a step or turning fully, just braced kicks and swatting. When movement became necessary, he ollie'd outtie. And despite Titans being so un-dense, Bert still left giant footprints where he was standing.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Factory Factory posted:

There are... In the walls! I'm betting that the Colassals are too big to move on their own, too. Bert was never shown taking a step or turning fully, just braced kicks and swatting. When movement became necessary, he ollie'd outtie. And despite Titans being so un-dense, Bert still left giant footprints where he was standing.

That's an interesting thought. Maybe the colossal titans are at the upper physical limit of titan size. Was Ape Titan much smaller than a colossal titan?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like they've straight-up said colossal titans are at the border of too big, where they can barely hold themselves together for only a few minutes.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

There Bias Two posted:

That's an interesting thought. Maybe the colossal titans are at the upper physical limit of titan size. Was Ape Titan much smaller than a colossal titan?

Yeah he was like 17m I think?

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
There's no reason to think the will of the former king will manifest itself now after Eren having had his powers so long especially since Eren had
already used the coordinate without issue. Maybe it's only triggered by doing something specifically against the king's will in which case everything Eren has done so far is hunky dory. Since Rod became a titan to go after Eren himself it dispels the theory that only teenagers can have titan powers or it ages you or some poo poo since he has no more remaining heirs besides Historia who won't cooperate and he has to produce and raise a viable Reiss heir. This should confirm that Grisha gave Eren the power because there's something inherently special about Eren. Probably something that let's him deny the will of the king.

Or Rod is just grasping at straws to keep his royal status :shrug:

I hope it's just not something dumb like Eren being able to defy the kings will because of ~*willpower*~.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
So they're dealing with a fascist dictator that has artificially elongated his lifespan by parasitically affecting hosts in the Reiss family bloodline as a quasi-living thoughtform? That's terrifying. While I like the idea that the first kings posse consisted of fascists and religious luddites, it doesn't really explain the lack of contact with the outside world. Only the monkey and titan village guys have come a-knocking. Keeping in line with needing 'others' as a constant threat to society, I think Reiss has probably had regular contact and association with the titan village faction making the monkey the only character truly to be outside of the wall system.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Man that armor vial's changed everything. I wonder if Grisha's basement is some makeshift meth lab for titan serum.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If the Original Reiss can only take over his descendants Dune-style then it's a drat good thing that Eren didn't get ate.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

If the Original Reiss can only take over his descendants Dune-style then it's a drat good thing that Eren didn't get ate.

Yeah, having Uncle Ben body jack you would be some seriously messed up poo poo.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
I love how pissed Historia is that everyone finds her so wonderful because they've literally been brainwashed to perceive her and her family as gods. It's pretty much exactly what she's been fearing her whole life, that people like her for all the wrong reasons.
It's also cute that the chapter accidentally offers an alternative explanation for why Mikasa is so irritated by Historia.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
This explanation is kinda funny because in retrospect Eren's dad forced his son to commit cannibalism for completely justifiable reasons. I wonder if he was in on the shifter titans plans now though.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Meadowhill posted:

So they're dealing with a fascist dictator that has artificially elongated his lifespan by parasitically affecting hosts in the Reiss family bloodline as a quasi-living thoughtform? That's terrifying. While I like the idea that the first kings posse consisted of fascists and religious luddites, it doesn't really explain the lack of contact with the outside world. Only the monkey and titan village guys have come a-knocking. Keeping in line with needing 'others' as a constant threat to society, I think Reiss has probably had regular contact and association with the titan village faction making the monkey the only character truly to be outside of the wall system.

The First King wants the titans to rule over humanity and to abandon everything about the old world. That's why there is no contact with the outside world.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The First King wants the titans to rule over humanity and to abandon everything about the old world. That's why there is no contact with the outside world.

Calling it now, Monkey Trouble is some sort of misguided/loony revolutionary that went "titans ruling over humans, eh? well now everyone is a titan, take that aristofailures".

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait to see how Grape Ape fits into all of this.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

It would be great if Isayama just never comes back to Sasquatch because "gently caress you, red herrings." Or make a side story about him in the Spoof on Titan art style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nah that'd be stupid