Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I finally decided to catch up on Season 4 and 5

Season 4 was cringe inducing in its badness. Season 5 was like a different show (even compared to the earlier seasons) but it was a great show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Season 5 is one half season 3 quality and one half season 4 quality.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Season 5 is good. People here don't actually remember Seasons 4 or 5 very well, judging by statements like that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A lot of people's perceptions of Season 5, I think, are coloured by the way that the three weakest episodes were the last three.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think Basic Story is weak, it's just meta as hell and almost unwatchably inaccessible. It's also one of my favorite episodes.

On the other hand, G.I. Jeff is interesting (and has some amazing gags) but doesn't really justify itself, and Basic Sandwich is kind of a mess all around, so yeah, you're pretty much right.

Arist fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 9, 2015

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Cooperative Polygraphy is one of the best episodes of the entire series, and App Development and Condiments might be the finest 22 minutes ever put to film.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Season 5 suffers from two big problems. First, the show's reason for the study group getting back together post-graduation was weak, so you spent every episode asking yourself questions like "why does Annie care about grades when she already has her degree?" or "why is Britta allowing herself to be treated like dirt when she graduated a year ago?" Second, all of the so-called 'good' episodes are just rehashes of better season 2 episodes. ACB is the best episode of the season, but even that's just a rehash of the L&O episode from season 3.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Irish Joe posted:

Season 5 suffers from two big problems. First, the show's reason for the study group getting back together post-graduation was weak, so you spent every episode asking yourself questions like "why does Annie care about grades when she already has her degree?" or "why is Britta allowing herself to be treated like dirt when she graduated a year ago?" Second, all of the so-called 'good' episodes are just rehashes of better season 2 episodes. ACB is the best episode of the season, but even that's just a rehash of the L&O episode from season 3.

I really don't get why they went with the 're-enrolment angle. If anything it would've made more sense for Annie to run the Save Greendale group as a job/teacher and to recruit Jeff into it. Or, really, just pretend that Season Four never happened.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Rename thread to
Community: Irish Joe appreciation station

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

MikeJF posted:

A lot of people's perceptions of Season 5, I think, are coloured by the way that the three weakest episodes were the last three.

I recently watched the commentaries and features on the S5 DVD, and Dan & Co. spend a lot of time half explaining and half apologizing for the lesser quality of the last few episodes. They basically went way over their budgeted time trying to make D&D 2 with David Cross as spectacular as the original D&D episode and had to rush everything else for the rest of the season, leading to things like finishing the animation on GI Jeff 3 days before it was supposed to air.

VVVVVVVVVV :agreed:

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 9, 2015

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

tinstaach posted:

...leading to things like finishing the animation on GI Jeff 3 days before it was supposed to air.

I'm willing to forgive this because it lead to one of the greatest things ever: https://soundcloud.com/octopaganini/harmontown-rob-scrab-g-i-joe

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

If you want to learn more about what happened with the internal politics at Sony and NBC (and now Yahoo), this chat from NATPE 2015 with Dan Harmon is fascinating:

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/6754692/events/2727631/videos/74459110/player?autoPlay=false&height=360&mute=false&width=640

NATPE is basically a television producer's conference, so much of the conversation is about the minutiae of how things are made. The stuff about what was going on at NBC throughout the show's run is very interesting. Spoiler: there was so much infighting at NBC with people jockeying for power during an extended transition period that Community kept getting ignored and sort of renewed by default, even though no one at NBC really liked or wanted the show.

I don't think it's explicitly said, but some of the implication is that at least part of how the fifth season 'return to Greendale' concept came about was because of said politics. You can't alienate the season 4 writers and producers by ignoring it, and you can't radically change the concept of the show without alienating the producers who expect TV to be this mostly static thing.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 9, 2015

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The Study Group is so small now. (even though they aren't a study group anymore.)

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
I'm really surprised they didn't put the new cast members in that poster just to round it out. My eyes keep looking for people who aren't there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wrong thread

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I feel bad because I don't have high hopes for this anymore. Rewatching the show I don't tend to go past season 3 anymore. 5 was good but it wasn't Pierce being the Beastmaster

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I made it all the way through season 4, but couldn't even bother to finish season 5.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Spacebump posted:

The Study Group is so small now. (even though they aren't a study group anymore.)

It's funny how a poster can be so bright and vibrant and yet be so devoid of color.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

2/6 or a third are minorities though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ratjaculation posted:

I feel bad because I don't have high hopes for this anymore. Rewatching the show I don't tend to go past season 3 anymore. 5 was good but it wasn't Pierce being the Beastmaster

It's so bitter and miserable now. Especially with Troy being killed and cannibalized by his childhood idol after being captured by Somali pirates. I'm expecting them to write Shirley out via tripple murder suicide.

It used to be a show that was hopeful and joyous about the connections we make with people, but now it's just depressing with occasional strong episodes.

I'm going to wait for opinion to settle on Season Six before I decide wether to invest.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

It's so bitter and miserable now. Especially with Troy being killed and cannibalized by his childhood idol after being captured by Somali pirates. I'm expecting them to write Shirley out via tripple murder suicide.

What? Wasn't this a joke made by Joel McHale or something? I know that Community is a comedy that has "jokes" in it so I guess I can see how things get confusing

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

the last episode sucked but it did end with a computer powered by friendship, so i don't know about it being a miserable show

i guess the only people who comment on shows when they're not currently on the air are people who want to express how little they feel towards the show now

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

What? Wasn't this a joke made by Joel McHale or something? I know that Community is a comedy that has "jokes" in it so I guess I can see how things get confusing

It was on a fake TV new channel scroll. (Not the cannibal part though)

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The cannibalism comes from a joke Joel McHale made during the Season 6 Comic Con panel. He said he wanted an episode to cut to Troy eating Levar Burton, not the other way around.

Also, got to say: I rewatched the series recently and Season 4 is honestly not that awful. By no stretch of the imagination is it Community at its best (Season 1, fyi) but there are a couple of good episodes: History 101, which I liked because it maintained Jeff's character development from the end of Season 3; Advanced Documentary Film-making, which, despite the ridiculous Changnesia premise, actually creates good scenes for Jeff and Annie and Troy; Herstory of Dance, which introduces Rachel and is also the final time Pierce is characterized as anything other than a horrible racist, and Basic Human Anatomy, Jim Rash's episode). I think the drama surrounding the season negatively influences people's opinions of it. The only really bad episodes are Conventions of Space and Time, the episode where Inspector Spacetime became completely intolerable, and Advanced Introduction to Finality, the paintball/Darkest Timeline psuedo-finale. For the rest of the episodes, as long as you can overlook Pierce being completely mishandled (which I admit is bad, because he was the funniest character) then Season 4 is generally competent with regular glimpses of the old magic.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

The cannibalism comes from a joke Joel McHale made during the Season 6 Comic Con panel. He said he wanted an episode to cut to Troy eating Levar Burton, not the other way around.

Also, got to say: I rewatched the series recently and Season 4 is honestly not that awful. By no stretch of the imagination is it Community at its best (Season 1, fyi) but there are a couple of good episodes: History 101, which I liked because it maintained Jeff's character development from the end of Season 3; Advanced Documentary Film-making, which, despite the ridiculous Changnesia premise, actually creates good scenes for Jeff and Annie and Troy; Herstory of Dance, which introduces Rachel and is also the final time Pierce is characterized as anything other than a horrible racist, and Basic Human Anatomy, Jim Rash's episode). I think the drama surrounding the season negatively influences people's opinions of it. The only really bad episodes are Conventions of Space and Time, the episode where Inspector Spacetime became completely intolerable, and Advanced Introduction to Finality, the paintball/Darkest Timeline psuedo-finale. For the rest of the episodes, as long as you can overlook Pierce being completely mishandled (which I admit is bad, because he was the funniest character) then Season 4 is generally competent with regular glimpses of the old magic.

"But Dan Harmon wasn't involved, so therefore it's automatically bad."

Yeah, I think a lot of hate on S4 came from people who had already decided to hate it before watching a single frame, so one was never going to get an honest reaction to it. As I mentioned before, I made it through S4, but couldn't even finish S5. Is 4 as good as S1? No, but it's nowhere as awful as people wanted it to be.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

For the rest of the episodes, as long as you can overlook Pierce being completely mishandled (which I admit is bad, because he was the funniest character) then Season 4 is generally competent with regular glimpses of the old magic.

Pierce has been mishandled since Season Two, when they had the interesting idea of having him get hooked on pills and then forgot they made him nasty after he was cured.

And yeah, 4 is pretty good. It doesn't pull off the concept episodes as well, but it does the more normal episodes fine. To be fair to it as well even the last half of 3 didn't do the concept episodes so well.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The Felt episode was pretty garbage.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Yeah, I think if I could make one change to Seasons 1 - 3, it would be to have Pierce stick to his guns and stay separated from the group during Season 3. He should still have been around but in a limited capacity (like Duncan in Season 1 and 2) and only interacted with the entire group for specific episodes like his father's appearance and the videogame episode. It would have been an interesting if he had remained in Greendale while the other six study group members were expelled after Chang's coup, and his aid in retaking the school could have represented a real reconciliation between everyone. This might have mitigated the Chevy/Dan conflict come to think of it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I'd also entirely scrap the dreamatorium. It felt like it was taking over the show during Season 3 and it didn't really present them with any storytelling options they didn't have without it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Yeah, I think if I could make one change to Seasons 1 - 3, it would be to have Pierce stick to his guns and stay separated from the group during Season 3. He should still have been around but in a limited capacity (like Duncan in Season 1 and 2) and only interacted with the entire group for specific episodes like his father's appearance and the videogame episode. It would have been an interesting if he had remained in Greendale while the other six study group members were expelled after Chang's coup, and his aid in retaking the school could have represented a real reconciliation between everyone. This might have mitigated the Chevy/Dan conflict come to think of it.

I don't understand why Harmon can't drop the whole "old geezer in the study group" thing either. Chevy, then Jonathan Banks, now Keith David. Awesome performers, but maybe he should try to add a different dynamic to the group instead of what's come before.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Davros1 posted:

I don't understand why Harmon can't drop the whole "old geezer in the study group" thing either. Chevy, then Jonathan Banks, now Keith David. Awesome performers, but maybe he should try to add a different dynamic to the group instead of what's come before.

For someone whose going on about the characters needing to change and evolve he doesn't half fight against the natural flow of the show to keep them static.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Banks was fun and David probably will be too so who gives a gently caress.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I liked Season 1 Pierce the best. I liked him being fumbling and old and sad but well-meaning, instead of hyper dickish to the point of pathetic old man Pierce. Pierce as a reflection of Jeff was a good dynamic.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Davros1 posted:

"But Dan Harmon wasn't involved, so therefore it's automatically bad."

Yeah, I think a lot of hate on S4 came from people who had already decided to hate it before watching a single frame, so one was never going to get an honest reaction to it. As I mentioned before, I made it through S4, but couldn't even finish S5. Is 4 as good as S1? No, but it's nowhere as awful as people wanted it to be.

I will always take more Community, even S4. That said, it is pretty bad. There's a couple of episodes I really liked, maybe 3 or 4. Some very mediocre ones, and some really bad ones. I think you're forgetting lazy writing like the number of rhyme jokes, which weren't actually jokes, just phrases that sound kind of funny. Port and Guarascio are now on Marry Me and I find them doing the same rhyme joke concept but the actual jokes on that show are better on average than the fourth season's.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I work with a guy that has a fascinating theory about Community, sort of along the lines that Jeff isn't really a self-insert of Dan (which Dan has stated he is) but instead he represents the way Dan sees the world and all the people in it. However, essentially my friend is from Reddit and so basically he sees Jeff as the uber redditor:

1) Jeff is the enlightened atheist that knows better than everyone else and is above all of "it"
2) Shirley is the ignorant religious breeder that is just a complete idiot next to the enlighted Jeff
3) Annie is basically a kawii anime character that Jeff is in love with
4) Brita is a strawman feminist that gives a Jeff something to put down
5) Abed is a quirky charming comical reference machine that generates memes, basically Abed "is" the internet.
6) Pierce is of course all old luddites that just don't get it
7) He didn't talk about Troy, I suppose that indicates his view on race somehow, but I'm too bored now to go on about it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can't believe we're finding ways to complain about Jonathan Banks and Keith loving David.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Butt as boobs and feet as hands. Cruel world.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

I can't believe we're finding ways to complain about Jonathan Banks and Keith loving David.

There both fine additions to the show that don't really need to be part of the core group.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah I mean they make the show better and everything but do they need to be there??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Jonathan Banks was a perfect addition, and I was heartbroken that he couldn't stick around. :smith:

• Locked thread