Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

wallet files have numerous private keys all together. until libertarians (scammers) invaded bitcoin, no one thought you'd need to memorize private keys or only store papee wallets because of the lovely security of every bitcoin site

e; fb

Huh, I knew that, but everything I read talks about how "using multiple address is more secure", which is silly because when combined with a wallet.dat file it's basically putting your treasure behind 100 doors that each take a different key to open, and then also building a skeleton key that can open all of them*

*I get that this isn't an exact metaphor, technically it's more like a keyring of the keys to all 100 doors but who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

quote:

My Fiancé's idea of messing with me (self.Bitcoin)
отправлено 9 minutes ago автор garfbargle

My aunt was asking me what Bitcoin is and my Fiancé said "let me answer for you!" This is what she typed haha

"So you wanna know about Bitcoin huh? Lol well, I'm the perfect person to explain it :) bitcoin is essentially online money! You can use it at various places like Walmart and mc Donald's ;) if you go to Bitcoin.com you can order bitcoin and it gets sent to your house"
the most worthless submission i've seen

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

quote:

[–]b_coin 4 points 4 hours ago

May I ask a question?

Who says western union is not using bitcoin internally to confirm funds between locations/countries? Or sharing wallets internally which each regional location has access to and can sell for fiat currency of that location..

parent

[–]Ditto_B 9 points 4 hours ago

Why would they need to?

parent

[–]anddrade 0 points 3 hours ago

To reduce their costs while keeping the profits from their huge fees.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

i know he was a dumbo, but he could have moved the server to a different host, right?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

i think it could go deeper than that, not just western union using bitcoin internally, but maybe the worlds biggest banks and countries? bitcoin could be the world's reservce currency and we'd never even know

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Wheany posted:

i know he was a dumbo, but he could have moved the server to a different host, right?
he did, more than once
but it kept leaking the ip after the moves

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

who is brad larson?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

lmao

one day, one day we will find something that bitcoiners understand

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

theflyingorc posted:

Huh, I knew that, but everything I read talks about how "using multiple address is more secure", which is silly because when combined with a wallet.dat file it's basically putting your treasure behind 100 doors that each take a different key to open, and then also building a skeleton key that can open all of them*

*I get that this isn't an exact metaphor, technically it's more like a keyring of the keys to all 100 doors but who cares

except 99 of the doors have goats behind them

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

oh, so he's the bitcoiner who can assess risk. I guess there had to be one.

and he correctly concluded that the way to mitigate it was not to be a bitcoiner

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

he did, more than once
but it kept leaking the ip after the moves

well all right then.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Rick Ross Ulbricht posted:

except all of the doors have goats behind them

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

except 99 of the doors have goatse behind them

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

one of the doors has a bunch of gold behind it but when you try to retrieve it a goat locks you in

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Wheany posted:

well all right then.

Remember that DPR is a infosec/opsec mastermind and no way does the FBI's story about SR server leaking its IP address add up 4th amendment parallel construction rarrrrrrrgh

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

theflyingorc posted:

I care

I care so fuckin' bad
:argh:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

except 99 of the doors have goats behind them

appropriate as bitcoin approaches the price of a goat

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

theflyingexecutive posted:

appropriate as bitcoin approaches the price of a goat

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=430858.0

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
has anyone else noticed that with monitor resloutions getting higher a straight up post of hello.jpg takes up less and less screen real estate? like you can almost scroll past it without even noticing now

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Wulfolme posted:

has anyone else noticed that with monitor resloutions getting higher a straight up post of hello.jpg takes up less and less screen real estate? like you can almost scroll past it without even noticing now

somebody break out illustrator and the vectorization tools, we need hello.svg

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
satoshi mined alone is an anagram to enema in old satoshi

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 9, 2015

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Did you know? Hello.svg is actually a .apng?!?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Wulfolme posted:

Yeah it's a new metric for image upscaling algorithms

Retained Goatse Grossness Index, or REGGI for short

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Wulfolme posted:

someone needs to make a goatse sequel in 3d HD

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Heresiarch posted:

somebody break out illustrator and the vectorization tools, we need hello.svg

but hello.jpg is already perfectly stretchable

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

My PIN is 4826 posted:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

My PIN is 4826 posted:

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

my understanding is that the reference client was designed to try to reuse private keys as little as possible, so that eventually everybody would have a ton of addresses that held their bitcoins making it harder to track people.

it'd go something like this: alice sends bob .25 bitcoin from a key that has 1 bitcoin, bob's address gets that .25 bitcoin, and then alice's client generates a few new private keys and splits the change between those addresses, leaving the original key at 0. but today people just deposit their change to their original key as having to check hundreds of keys to tally up your balance is a pain. and there's some kind of theoretical quantum computing attack that would work against bitcoin transactions from a private key used multiple times but not once, so from a futureproofing standpoint, it's a good idea. although it assumes people would give a gently caress about bitcoin backed by sha-256 by the time computers that can gently caress with sha256 are a real threat. actually, that's a run-on. it assumes people would give a gently caress about bitcoin.

so if satoshi was using the reference client on one computer, all their coins probably ended up in one wallet.dat with the client generating and storing a new private key

i suspect it was deleted, since the last time satoshi was communicating with the other developers, gavin anderson mentioned he talked to someone in the federal government about the project in hopes it would help legitimize bitcoin. and then satoshi freaked out and never talked to him afterwards.

plus, there's the fact that satoshi got mad at wikileaks for soliciting bitcoin donations. iirc, they said bitcoin should grow organically, and everyone called them out on this, since try to shunt this development in bitcoin adoption is the opposite of organic.

satoshi's biggest reason for staying anonymous is probably that they knew once the idiot libertarians picked it up, they'd be responsible for a bunch of heinous bullshit in the eyes of society and the law.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

jetz0r posted:

someone needs to make a goatse sequel in 3d HD

loading vrml hacking tools...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

unpacked robinhood posted:

satoshi mined alone is an anagram to
enema in old satoshi

satoshi nakamoto is an anagram of "a man took a poo poo"

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

quote:

Subject: Payment processor
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 09:15:26 -0800
To: help@quickbt.com

Hi there,

I've been trying to wrap my head around how you guys are even processing
credit cards without an identifying user with the SpendBT service. Is
this through Stripe and since when do they permit that?

I've been working on comparing payment processors for the past while and
just want to know which to satisfy a curiosity.

Thanks,
OSI Bean Dip

quote:

Subject: [QuickBT Processing Inc.] Re: Payment processor
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 17:31:10 +0000
Reply-To: help@quickbt.com
To: [me[

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

[QuickBT Processing Inc.] Re: Payment processor

Your request (3768) has been solved. To reopen this request, reply to this email.
<br>----------------------------------------------

Jamie Robinson, Feb 9, 12:31

Hi OSI Bean Dip,

Thank you for your interest in QuickBT!

Well we could just be walking to the bank and making the payment - all Visa member banks let you do this domestically with no ID, and I believe it works globally too (don't quote me!).

But that's too slow, so we're using the QuadrigaCX platform to trade and withdraw. Many exchanges now let you withdraw to Visa, so this is nothing new. In time, we'll integrate redundant exchange links so we're not dependant on just them. We've simply taken a process that used to require a Bitcoin deposit, multiple confirmations (30-60 mins), some trading, and a withdrawal -- down to just two fields and a Bitcoin transaction.

Same thing with QuickBT, just the other way around. You might ask "why pay the % fee?" - but the majority of consumers we want to reach with Bitcoin will never use an exchange platform and each second we can shave off the process adds significant value.

PS we did decide to delay the launch until Wednesday - we have a few more features we want to add before launch!

Hope this helps the itch and sorry for the delay,

Jamie
QuickBT Team

https://www.quadrigacx.com/

Their loving FAQ posted:

Do you pay your employees with Bitcoin?
Yes, our employees are paid exclusively with Bitcoin.

too bad it wasn't stripe because it would have been more interesting to deal with this

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

OSI bean dip posted:

PS we did decide to delay the launch until Wednesday - we have a few more features we want to add before launch!

I'm the features they're shoehorning in with little to no testing whatsoever 36 hours before launch

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

triple sulk posted:

I'm the features they're shoehorning in with little to no testing whatsoever 36 hours before launch

:iamafag: ship it

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

i bring you satoshi karpeles

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

maybe by "add" they mean "promote from validation stream to production in accordance with their deployment and change control systems"

or maybe not

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

OSI bean dip posted:

Jamie Robinson posted:

(don't quote me!).

You quoted Jamie :ohdear:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

FCKGW posted:

satoshi nakamoto is an anagram of "a man took a poo poo"

missing an as there I think

fuctifino posted:

i bring you satoshi karpeles

ok, I've been staring at this for like 20 minutes, I give up. what did you change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
i've been digging through quadrigacx's website and so far i have not seen an indication that they themselves are pci compliant or require it

jesus christ this rabbit hole is terrible

• Locked thread