Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Was there any actual indication of Tai liking Sora? It's been years since I watched the dub and the Japanese version doesn't really mention anything at all beyond Davis and Kari.
It's mostly from the Digimon movie, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Also, from what I remember, that was added in the dub. The writers simply figured "Oh, leading guy and leading lady, they probably get together, duh" and then season 2's ending was like "nope".

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Some Numbers posted:

Was there any actual indication of Tai liking Sora? It's been years since I watched the dub and the Japanese version doesn't really mention anything at all beyond Davis and Kari.

Our War Game has a bit that kinda sorta be maybe read as romantic somedtimes, so, obviously, they were soulmates.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kurui Reiten posted:

Also, from what I remember, that was added in the dub. The writers simply figured "Oh, leading guy and leading lady, they probably get together, duh" and then season 2's ending was like "nope".

They were half right! They just picked the wrong leading guy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Adventure never shows any attraction between any Chosen Child, probably because they're children and all. Sora and Yamato being a couple comes out of nowhere in 02, but it's not like Taichi showed interest either. Apparently the PSP Adventure game attempts to fix this by showing Yamato having a crush on Sora even there, and Sora liking Taichi, while Taichi is completely oblivious to either one's feelings, because anime protagonist.

It's weird since I don't think any other series is quite that averse to romance. 02 had Daisuke having an obvious, if unreciprocated, crush on Hikari (and Miyako...saying once that Ken was hot, then they get married despite having nearly no interaction in-series, okay). Tamers had a rather long subplot of Takato liking Juri (and, considering the ending, it works out), Frontier had Junpei's also unreciprocated crush on Izumi, Savers...actually also had no romance whatsoever despite the older cast, and Xros Wars has Akari's crush on Taiki (which is reinforced in Hunters), Zenjirou's unreciprocated crush on Nene, Kiriha and Nene being a couple in all but name (even moreso in the manga where Kiriha outright states his love for Nene), and the hilarious antics of Yuu and Airu in Hunters.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Adventure never shows any attraction between any Chosen Child, probably because they're children and all. Sora and Yamato being a couple comes out of nowhere in 02, but it's not like Taichi showed interest either. Apparently the PSP Adventure game attempts to fix this by showing Yamato having a crush on Sora even there, and Sora liking Taichi, while Taichi is completely oblivious to either one's feelings, because anime protagonist.

It's weird since I don't think any other series is quite that averse to romance. 02 had Daisuke having an obvious, if unreciprocated, crush on Hikari (and Miyako...saying once that Ken was hot, then they get married despite having nearly no interaction in-series, okay). Tamers had a rather long subplot of Takato liking Juri (and, considering the ending, it works out), Frontier had Junpei's also unreciprocated crush on Izumi, Savers...actually also had no romance whatsoever despite the older cast, and Xros Wars has Akari's crush on Taiki (which is reinforced in Hunters), Zenjirou's unreciprocated crush on Nene, Kiriha and Nene being a couple in all but name (even moreso in the manga where Kiriha outright states his love for Nene), and the hilarious antics of Yuu and Airu in Hunters.

With 02, it's actually fine, because there's a 25 year timeskip, which is plenty of time for relationships to develop.

Frontier also had Takuya nearly openly admit to liking Izumi towards the end.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The various series do have minor ship tease moments, like the angry couple scene in Savers, and Olegmon calling Nene Taiki's girlfriend, stuff like that. But as said, minor stuff, usually just for the occasional gag more than anything else, which can also just be read as kids being awkward because kids.

I'd be honestly surprised if Tri particularly wanted to delve too deep on that sort of thing, but then, you never know.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The kids are 16-18, so it's way more applicable now than in most of the previous seasons.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Astro Nut posted:

The various series do have minor ship tease moments, like the angry couple scene in Savers, and Olegmon calling Nene Taiki's girlfriend, stuff like that. But as said, minor stuff, usually just for the occasional gag more than anything else, which can also just be read as kids being awkward because kids.

I'd be honestly surprised if Tri particularly wanted to delve too deep on that sort of thing, but then, you never know.

If it is going to go for a more adult audience then I can't see why not. We have the end result told us. A good time to delve deeper into that.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Blaze Dragon posted:

Savers...actually also had no romance whatsoever despite the older cast
You forgot about Ivan's unreciprocated love for Yoshino, but you'll never hear me say that out loud.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nahxela posted:

You forgot about Ivan's unreciprocated love for Yoshino, but you'll never hear me say that out loud.

Oh Yggdrasil, I actually did forget that. I really liked Ivan (and Savers in general, that series is so good), I'm honestly surprised I forgot.

Astro Nut posted:

(what I'm trying to say is read the loving Xros Wars manga because it is great)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

It was way better than the anime in my book.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
02 isn't terrible because it had weird pairings.

02 was terrible because it's poorly written poo poo with a billion plot holes with ineffectual annoying protagonists, horrible animation, mind numbingly stupid pacing, no tension and the worst villains imaginable.

And if Time Hunters has taught me anything it's that Digimon cannot do direct sequels.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i liked 02

also, i just finished rewatching tamers and it still owns.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

Minervamon X Beelzemon OTP

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite moment in digimon is the tamers movie where beezlemon does nothing but get hit by a train

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he rides up on his motorcycle, there's a swell of dramatic, darkly heroic music, and then he gets hit by a train and isnt seen for the rest of the movie

rest in peace

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh Yggdrasil, I actually did forget that. I really liked Ivan (and Savers in general, that series is so good), I'm honestly surprised I forgot.

But does it hold a candle to V-tamer?

It seems the smartphone card game is coming to the west this spring.

http://bokutachinodigitalworld.blogspot.it/2015/02/digimon-crusader-coming-to-west-this.html

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Endorph posted:

he rides up on his motorcycle, there's a swell of dramatic, darkly heroic music, and then he gets hit by a train and isnt seen for the rest of the movie

rest in peace

No Beelzebumon shows up at the end to save Suichon from some Parasimon.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

But does it hold a candle to V-tamer?

Honestly I'd say yes. The fights aren't as good but the Xros Wars manga very much is.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

I needed this. I didn't know I did, but now I know the error of my ways.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus Gabumon is tiny

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's kind of hilarious seeing all the kids aged-up and slendered-up into the new wavy character designs while their Digimon partners remain precisely the same.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing that never made as much sense to me- so in season 1, Digivolution was presented as an entirely natural age thing.

Which makes sense. They go from Baby, to Child, to Adult. Only a few rare powerful Digimon in season 1 ever went Perfect, and you basically had to break the system to go Ultimate.

Gatomon, due to her harsher life, evolved naturally the same as Leomon and the like, while the regular 7 just chilled out and didn't do a whole lot, until the kids came in and all that happened.

So shouldn't Agumon and co be in their adult stage of life pretty well permanently now? This is years later

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
It'd be kind of hard to hang out in your partners apartment when you're a giant dinosaur though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Their partners were also treated as somewhat of a special case that didn't followed the normal rules of evolution. Plus, they were depowered on the interim between Adventure and 02 to "fix" the digiworld.

Is gonna be very interesting if the kids from the world tour arc show up since I remember a few of them having adult/champion digimon as partners.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

man i'm really interested in this new series but i don't think it'll be the same without the dub voices and writing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sharrrk posted:

man i'm really interested in this new series but i don't think it'll be the same without the dub voices and writing
i wonder if theyll dub this for netflix/hulu or something

get the original VAs back and pander to nostalgia

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Endorph posted:

i wonder if theyll dub this for netflix/hulu or something

get the original VAs back and pander to nostalgia

Only if they get the original localisation team back too. Digimon Adventure just ain't the same without endless puns, Dad Jokes and only four choices of background music.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Maybe the new series will actually be good and not need a gag dub to be entertaining.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Burkion posted:

One thing that never made as much sense to me- so in season 1, Digivolution was presented as an entirely natural age thing.

Which makes sense. They go from Baby, to Child, to Adult. Only a few rare powerful Digimon in season 1 ever went Perfect, and you basically had to break the system to go Ultimate.

Gatomon, due to her harsher life, evolved naturally the same as Leomon and the like, while the regular 7 just chilled out and didn't do a whole lot, until the kids came in and all that happened.

So shouldn't Agumon and co be in their adult stage of life pretty well permanently now? This is years later

I'd probably say the original time gap between the human and digital worlds would be the reason - especially with the time the partner digimon have spent outside it. Where before they might have originally been on the fast track to say, 150, now they're 'just' 87 or whatever, with the seven having come about from their time with the digidestined, to use a hastily constructed analogy and thus should not be taken as an actual estimate of their ages.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't want to have to learn anyone's actual names.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

wateyad posted:

Maybe the new series will actually be good and not need a gag dub to be entertaining.

In all fairness, Jeff Nimoy's been in mia culpa mode for like the last decade over some of the dumber dub jokes. I mean, come on, the guy wrote and played Izzy and Tentomon as a stealth slash relationship, cut the man a little slack. That's pretty drat funny in hindsight.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

nine-gear crow posted:

In all fairness, Jeff Nimoy's been in mia culpa mode for like the last decade over some of the dumber dub jokes. I mean, come on, the guy wrote and played Izzy and Tentomon as a stealth slash relationship, cut the man a little slack. That's pretty drat funny in hindsight.

He's also in general a pretty chill dude to talk to. I'm hoping they got the usual "Sequal is poo poo" out of their system with Time Hunters and 02 so Tri will be actually good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

adventure and adventure 02 had some bad moments but Tamers treated the material with a decent amount of respect. There were some jokes added in the dubbing, but only in the goofier moments, and they generally worked.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

adventure and adventure 02 had some bad moments but Tamers treated the material with a decent amount of respect. There were some jokes added in the dubbing, but only in the goofier moments, and they generally worked.

I more complain about the loss of music. But one Jeff Nimoy thing I remember heavily was when it came to the movie. He wanted to do 1 and 2, both by the same director, as a double feature, but cut the 02 movie because it didn't fit in and cut into the runtime of the other movies. With just the first two, you got the full experience and everything in full, where as they needed to come up with a lot of edits to make all three work as one.

He basically described arguing for a week to just go the two movies versus the three, finally convincing them, and then the next day they were doing the three anyway and it's just like "Okay I'm done fighting."

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah I get the impression working with Saban is an exercise in frustration.

I mean, that bomb edit besides, Data Squad got through relatively unscaved and that was Disney/Jetix.

Heck, snuck in a Kingdom Hearts reference of all things too.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 20, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Onmi posted:

I more complain about the loss of music.

Yeah, Bolero added a lot to the scenes in the real world.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
Guys I am a really big Digimon fan and I just now found out about Adventure Tri. So OH MAH GAWD.

Who's ready for lots of downplaying of anything relating to Adventure 02?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chakram posted:

Guys I am a really big Digimon fan and I just now found out about Adventure Tri. So OH MAH GAWD.

Who's ready for lots of downplaying of anything relating to Adventure 02?

*Highfive*

I don't care who likes Season 2, it's just an objectively poor sequel.

Season 1 is a fantastic kids adventure series with strangely tight writing that helps you ignore the fact that the animation budget was enough to buy pizza so the animators didn't starve to death. Season 1 has amazing writing in that all of the kids are equally important, and hell, even the Digimon have pretty distinct and unique personalities, though part of that comes from the dub I admit.

That's 14, eventually 16, main characters who all work fantastically and all get moments to shine in important ways.

Season 2 could very easily be re-written with minor alterations to be the Davis (and Ken in much smaller writing) show.

And that's just from the character POV, Oh Jesus does season 2 have other issues.

I'd much prefer it if Season 2 was ignored entirely, but I'm willing to give Tri the benefit of the doubt on this. Hopefully they can recapture what made season 1 work, like Tamers did in its own unique way, and get away from Season 2's nonsense.