Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, isn't the problem with airbrushes not really fumes but rather the wonderfully fine lung coating particulate?

Speaking of, someone recommend a decent mask/filter? I've decided that sneezing purple isn't my thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Post 9-11 User posted:

Shouldn't need more than one coat. I use glosscote, dry it, then spray on dullcote to fix the sheen.

A fan set on low, pointed at the minis, works wonders at speeding up the process. A new coat can be applied in less than five minutes when a fan is running (and helps clear the fumes, even if you sprayed outdoors this stuff will stink up a room).

I think it looks great! Could simply use some dark washes in the recesses to make those dark n' dangerous areas look more... dark and dangerous. I loath painting terrain, though, fine detail is the only thing I like painting. For stone I just put a couple coats of gray paint on it and highlight the edges, that's it.

There are textured paints, though, like the Make It Stone! series. I used the first runs of these years ago, still have a can or two, and the nozzles clogged like nobody's business. Maybe they're still made, maybe they have modern nozzles, either way the results on first use are great.

Be careful with these. I used to use these at my landscaping job and you should in no way ever spray them without a respirator on because they are super carcinogenic and bad for you. They do work well however.

Pierzak posted:

Speaking of, someone recommend a decent mask/filter? I've decided that sneezing purple isn't my thing.

3M Respirator

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 9, 2015

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I've only been working on plastic miniatures so far. What would I need for metal ones? Reaper Bones are frustrating to clean up and I was wondering if the metal versions might be easier, but I have no clue what tools and methods to use.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

An Angry Bug posted:

I've only been working on plastic miniatures so far. What would I need for metal ones? Reaper Bones are frustrating to clean up and I was wondering if the metal versions might be easier, but I have no clue what tools and methods to use.

It's pretty much the same. It is more important to use primer (spray or brush on) before starting painting and to varnish the model afterwards, as paint doesn't stick that well to metal compared to plastic or resin. You will also need some kind of cyano-acrylate glue (superglue) when gluing metal to metal or metal to plastic. For attaching large parts you should look into "pinning", which is a technique where you drill holes to put a small rod between the pieces for a stronger bond.

Unless you get really crappy metal minis they are easier to clean than bonesium.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

krushgroove posted:

That looks really cool! I haven't seen anyone modifying the DZC stuff yet so that's awesome. Maybe you can do some wheel covers, too, to cover the top 1/3rd of the wheel openings? And maybe some armor around the cupola/crew opening to protect the commander? Historical gamers use a single nylon brush bristle to do antennas, that might be something to try too. Just suggestions to give it more of a 'command vehicle' look.
Thank! I was actually thinking about wheel covers/armour skirts but then i remembered that at least some wheels presumably have to turn for steering :v: So if i go with skirts i'll have to make them properly spaced plus they don't seem to be common on real wheeled tanks.
I do want to add some armor on top, an antenna and some bumps to suggest comm equipment might help to break up the large surface. The problem is that both the periscope in front of the hatch and the sensor dome that goes into the turret slot are very low so i might have to modify those too or they'll only be looking against the edges of armor plates. On the the whole, i'm willing to put a bunch of effort into this thing since i'll only ever field one and it houses the ranking officer but i also have to consider how i'll fit under the dropship since i'm magnetising everything. For example i noticed i'll have to watch out with the glacis extension to i don't bump up against the cockipt

Pierzak posted:

I second the 3M respirator, i use one at work and it's really good and surprisingly comfy to wear if you adjust it properly. Depending on what you're going to do you can get particulate filters or solvent filters with optional clip on particulate filters.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks jonas. So would the files and blades I use for plastic work on the soft metal?

Also, seconding the respirator. It's the exact type I use. It fits great and works fine.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
OK, any particular model so that I don't pay 3x more for replacement filter that are the same for my purposes? I'm just gonna be airbrushing large numbers of models (varnish) and terrain.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I can also recommend a 3M. They are pretty comfortable if you end up wearing it for 5+ hours, which is nice.

If you plan to use spirits make sure you get filters rated similar to this:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...94936924&rt=rud

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

Thanks jonas. So would the files and blades I use for plastic work on the soft metal?

Yes. I do 99% of my miniature clean-up with just a box-cutter knife, both for plastic and metal.

E: just finished a 200 miniatures commission that I've had hanging over my head for two years. It's such a huge relief that I just picked up a few random minis and started painting. I'll never ever do such a big commission again, it's bonkers.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Awesome, thanks.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Bistromatic posted:

Thank! I was actually thinking about wheel covers/armour skirts but then i remembered that at least some wheels presumably have to turn for steering :v: So if i go with skirts i'll have to make them properly spaced plus they don't seem to be common on real wheeled tanks.
I do want to add some armor on top, an antenna and some bumps to suggest comm equipment might help to break up the large surface. The problem is that both the periscope in front of the hatch and the sensor dome that goes into the turret slot are very low so i might have to modify those too or they'll only be looking against the edges of armor plates. On the the whole, i'm willing to put a bunch of effort into this thing since i'll only ever field one and it houses the ranking officer but i also have to consider how i'll fit under the dropship since i'm magnetising everything. For example i noticed i'll have to watch out with the glacis extension to i don't bump up against the cockipt

I second the 3M respirator, i use one at work and it's really good and surprisingly comfy to wear if you adjust it properly. Depending on what you're going to do you can get particulate filters or solvent filters with optional clip on particulate filters.

I bought that one last year and have been super happy with it both in terms of airbrushing and doing "real" work like stripping rust.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
What's the best way to adhere tiny strips of printed paper to the sides of my bases? I want to mark different regiments and maybe brigades on my Napoleonics :spergin:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Thin down some PVA with water (just a little) and apply with brush to where you want your paper, should give you a little play time to slide it into the exact right spot.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
People sometimes ask me, "How do you get the bone color so even?" I spray coat white then top it with GW's (RIP) Bleached Bone spray.

Well, the can I have is nearly full but it has some spots of rust on the top. When I try to spray only a dribble comes out, even if I change to a new spray head I know is clear. I doused the top in mineral oil but it hasn't happened, just a dribble of paint comes out. Any solution for this or is the can ruined internally?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Since people are talking metallics I just want to mention this tutorial again:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1649-metallics

Pretty much the best tutorial on painting metals in 28/32mm ever written.

I'm curious if anyone could expand on his point about using a metallic glaze back to the model. What is a glaze in this context? How is it not a wash? How do I make my own?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Wazzu posted:

I'm curious if anyone could expand on his point about using a metallic glaze back to the model. What is a glaze in this context? How is it not a wash? How do I make my own?

Basically the only difference is how it behaves. A wash will seep into cracks, a glaze will stay on the surface when you paint it. Use glaze medium to make your own. I love using it to thin normal paints, you can get easy nice highlight layers this way.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Wazzu posted:

A glaze distributes a fine (but not always even) layer of color over a surface tinting it and darkening existing shadows but not shading well on its own. A wash focuses on the cracks of a model to create shading, a correctly made wash will contain wax or matte medium which physically alters how light hits the model which creates the gradient effect that makes good shading happen.

Also he explains glazes himself in this link: http://www.mainlymedieval.com/ozpainters/viewtopic.php?t=49&start=0

I really wish he had done an advanced metallics tutorial because some of his stuff is nuts. This is one of my favorite painted miniatures ever basically just because the sword is astounding: http://www.coolminiornot.com/277892?browseid=11223446

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 10, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Blood Angels Librarian incoming:

Nice to get back into it after a few months out, picked a blue thing as a bit of practice before Sevatar :)

e: huh, just noticed i missed a blood drop on his arm, ah well
e2: no one saw that right :ninja:

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 10, 2015

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

God drat.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

People sometimes ask me, "How do you get the bone color so even?" I spray coat white then top it with GW's (RIP) Bleached Bone spray.

Well, the can I have is nearly full but it has some spots of rust on the top. When I try to spray only a dribble comes out, even if I change to a new spray head I know is clear. I doused the top in mineral oil but it hasn't happened, just a dribble of paint comes out. Any solution for this or is the can ruined internally?
Sounds like the propellant has dissipated over the years. You're stuck with a full can of paint with no good way to get it out.

Skarsnik posted:

Wow. My only criticism (and it is a minor nitpick) is that he looks like he has staring cat eyes. But, being a librarian, maybe that is normal. That is an great paint job!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Skarsnik posted:

Nice to get back into it after a few months out, picked a blue thing as a bit of practice before Sevatar :)

Gorgeous. Props for the proper old school red-orange BA coloration, too.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Skarsnik never fails to own bones.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Skarsnik posted:

Oh my jesus

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

I like this, although I think you could push yourself on the edge highlights a little bit more. Some of them arent as neat and crisp as they should be.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What do people use for masking when airbrushing a model?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

What do people use for masking when airbrushing a model?

masking tape
http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=222#.VNoTOfmG_-s

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thank you all :)

serious gaylord posted:

I like this, although I think you could push yourself on the edge highlights a little bit more. Some of them arent as neat and crisp as they should be.

Yeah fair enough, was really something just to ease me back in, haven't picked up a brush since the end of September so I'm out of practice

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its a very nice paint job but I think theres some areas you can really push yourself and really take it up a level.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

quote:

Its a very nice paint job but I think theres some areas you can really push yourself and really take it up a level.
...said Hitler's art teacher.

Good job, serious gaylord. You've just created another Hitler.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thats harsh. Hitler couldn't paint at all! Skarsnik is a good painter already!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:yikes:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Thats harsh. Hitler couldn't paint at all! Skarsnik is a good painter already!

Then just imagine how much harder Skarsnik is taking your criticism! ;)

Speaking of painting, I need to get on the ball - Adepticon is a month away and I still need to finish my Warmaster stuff. I am so unmotivated to paint, and it is driving me crazy... How do you guys get yourselves back into it?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Speaking of painting, I need to get on the ball - Adepticon is a month away and I still need to finish my Warmaster stuff. I am so unmotivated to paint, and it is driving me crazy... How do you guys get yourselves back into it?

Booze.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Make a habit of sitting down at your painting station with a glass of alcohol, some music or an audiobook, and no other distractions besides models and paint and painted models. Then stay there for a minimum of an hour.

It doesn't matter how tired or irritated I am; if I sit down at my painting station with nothing else to do but drink and listen and paint, I inevitably find myself drinking and listening and painting.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

That's... actually not a bad idea. A little bit of alcohol actually steadies my hand too, which would be a nice side-effect.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

HiveCommander posted:

That's... actually not a bad idea. A little bit of alcohol actually steadies my hand too, which would be a nice side-effect.

Mine too! I'm always a little jittery after work so a cocktail or beer or glass of wine to take the edge off definitely helps me paint more effectively. I am a brush licker though so I also keep a glass of water handy.

Edit: what's everyone's painting music? When I'm not listening to audiobooks or podcasts, it's almost always a The Roots album or the JC Superstar soundtrack.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 10, 2015

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

Edit: what's everyone's painting music? When I'm not listening to audiobooks or podcasts, it's almost always a The Roots album or the JC Superstar soundtrack.

I try to paint a few nights a week, so I burn through music too quick. Past few months have been Comedy Bang! Bang! and Maron WTF podcasts for me.

I can't do coffee when I paint because I get to jittery, most I'll ever do is one beer.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Slandible posted:

I try to paint a few nights a week, so I burn through music too quick. Past few months have been Comedy Bang! Bang! and Maron WTF podcasts for me.

I can't do coffee when I paint because I get to jittery, most I'll ever do is one beer.

same but always sunny in philidelphia

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.

Sulecrist posted:

What's everyone's painting music? When I'm not listening to audiobooks or podcasts, it's almost always a The Roots album or the JC Superstar soundtrack.

It depends on what I'm painting. Lately it's been CSM, so it's all Death, Doom and Black Metal. When it's my Iron Lords, I like big classical music like Wagner and Beethoven. Necrons, industrial and techno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Sounds like the propellant has dissipated over the years. You're stuck with a full can of paint with no good way to get it out.

drat. Thanks for the info, though. No need to rack my brain for a solution and your explanation is plausible.

Hand-painting unmounted weapons is the pits (I used pins instead of magnets, the weapon platform mini makes this easy).

• Locked thread