Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Before I bought my Leap(it still hasn't arrived yet :qq:) I read reviews of it on various sites and plenty of people who use them all day for office work and only get up to use the restroom or maybe for a lunch break say that they feel comfortable in them all day long, including plenty of 8-hour plus sits. If your gonna buy something from Steelcase now it the time to do so with the 15% off sale on their site, a Leap is only $781 right now, well worth the price if you can afford it.

Yeah kind of scared to drop $800 on something sight unseen like that. But I definitely do not want to dump another $200 on a chair that will break down in a few years. Wonder how comfortable the fabric is and how long it will last. I'm assuming that their warranty doesn't cover wear and tear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Etrips posted:

Yeah kind of scared to drop $800 on something sight unseen like that. But I definitely do not want to dump another $200 on a chair that will break down in a few years. Wonder how comfortable the fabric is and how long it will last. I'm assuming that their warranty doesn't cover wear and tear.

Well, I read a review from someone who had been using a Leap in an office for 12 years and they said it had held up fine and been comfortable the whole time which was why they were buying one for their home office. My other Steelcase chair, a used task chair that was manufactured in 1993 has been used in our house for the past 8 years and the fabric is still fine, but ymmv.

And yeah, the warranty does not cover regular wear and tear.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
FYI http://www.smartfurniture.com has a feature where you can 'make them an offer' on whatever's in your cart. I ordered a Leap that would've totaled just over $800 at the sale price, I offered them 685, they countered with 735 and I took it. $65 saved for a couple of extra clicks.

edit: no sales tax (at least to TX) and free ground shipping from these guys as well, and they're an authorized online retailer.

vvvv Not all of us are lucky enough to live somewhere with an authorized Steelcase dealer vvvv

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 5, 2015

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

FYI http://www.smartfurniture.com has a feature where you can 'make them an offer' on whatever's in your cart. I ordered a Leap that would've totaled just over $800 at the sale price, I offered them 685, they countered with 735 and I took it. $65 saved for a couple of extra clicks.

edit: no sales tax (at least to TX) and free ground shipping from these guys as well, and they're an authorized online retailer.

I tried this with an Embody turned out it was cheaper to just buy it locally.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Etrips posted:

Anecdotally, I've got a second hand leather leap v2 that I bought when I was working from home about three or four years ago. I'd frequently spend all day working in it and then sitting in it for playing videogames later on and it was super comfortable once I'd got it properly adjusted. Leaps are good poo poo.

garbagewater
Oct 18, 2010

Etrips posted:

Wonder how comfortable the fabric is and how long it will last. I'm assuming that their warranty doesn't cover wear and tear.

These higher end chairs are usually 3-shift 10+ year warranty. They're designed to stand up to 24 hour a day use. The fabric will probably start pilling after a few years, but any fabric chair is going to do that eventually regardless of price.

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

Etrips posted:

Any of you with the higher end chairs play video games all day in them? Are you able to stay comfortable the whole time? Thinking about redoing my computer workstation area and a new chair is definitely needed since I'm using a officemax chair.

I recently picked up a Humanscale Freedom chair (with the headrest), and it took about 15 minutes to get it adjusted after I got it home.. I work from home, so I'm in the chair 8-10 hours a day, plus whatever time I'm gonna game in the evening. It's absolutely comfortable the entire time, and I'm kicking myself why I didn't buy the chair sooner.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Picked up a used Leap v2 off of Craigslist this morning. $250. I'm still dialing it in a bit but it's already clear this chair is way better than my old one. It's built like a tank.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

What features/material did you get at that price? I've been thinking of picking up a V1 or V2 off Craigslist from a local guy that has prices starting at $150 or $250, respectively.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
He actually had it reupholstered with new fabric. Aside from that it's probably the most basic Leap v2 - all black, black fabric. I wasn't too concerned with style honestly.

Nerdface Killah
Jan 9, 2009
Is the Leap v2 better than the Gesture? I bought an Aeron second hand in November but it aggravated my neck problems. I am now looking towards the Steelcase chairs.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nerdface Killah posted:

Is the Leap v2 better than the Gesture? I bought an Aeron second hand in November but it aggravated my neck problems. I am now looking towards the Steelcase chairs.

It depends on the user. Some people like the Gesture much better, some like the Leap v2. I'd see if there is any store in your area that will let you try sitting in both for a while but those are very hard to find.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Some guy near me on Gumtree has 12 "fully loaded" Aerons, 6 months old. They are £225 (I'm assuming each, not for the whole lot). We were going to get two £125 Ikea Markus chairs, but now I'm seriously considering these, as Amazon has them for nearly £900 each and I've seen you goons rave about them. This is in the UK so I never really see these high end American chairs around, usually Argos or Ikea stuff. I've certainly never seen any on Gumtree in several months of looking. I have read the thread and know the general opinions, but I'm finding it difficult to justify spending £450 on a couple of desk chairs.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Konsek posted:

Some guy near me on Gumtree has 12 "fully loaded" Aerons, 6 months old. They are £225 (I'm assuming each, not for the whole lot). We were going to get two £125 Ikea Markus chairs, but now I'm seriously considering these, as Amazon has them for nearly £900 each and I've seen you goons rave about them. This is in the UK so I never really see these high end American chairs around, usually Argos or Ikea stuff. I've certainly never seen any on Gumtree in several months of looking. I have read the thread and know the general opinions, but I'm finding it difficult to justify spending £450 on a couple of desk chairs.

If they are really only 6 months old it's well worth it, they will be more adjustable and last much longer than the Markus chairs. You should at least stop by and try sitting in them for a bit.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

oh hell no

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-ca-racecar-style-office-chair-1

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

there is a ergohuman knock-off called the WorkPro Pro Quantum 9000, sold exclusively at Office Depot as a house brand

legend has it it's really manufactured by Raynor themselves, and sold as the "enjoy" in the EU and japan

it's $280 or $399 (USD) with headrest. but getting it in to canada looks like it would nearly negate any savings vs. an ergohuman. using a mail forwarder would be ~$120 (CAD)

rakuten has them for $606 and $663 (CAD) but shipping is extra at like $300

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Not to toot my own horn, but... Oh, gently caress it, I'm tooting it. PC Gamer had an article about chairs for gaming that features my company's chairs (page 2): http://www.pcgamer.com/best-pc-gaming-chairs/

They REALLY liked the OM5, as you can see.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i've reached out to a few places and so far they say the chair is exclusive to office depot in north america, even though there's no office depots outside the USA. still waiting to hear from Grand & Toy, which doesn't list it on their site but could theoretically get it since their parent company is OD.

a canadian company with free and slow-as-hell shipping sells this similar raynor chair for $779, which is like the Enjoy, but with more aluminium stuff.

this Staples-branded, $599 chair also looks suspiciously Raynor, but lacks a headrest. actually, it looks like staples bought office depot like last week, heh.

which led me to this clearly not Raynor, but full mesh with headrest(which looks vaguely like the nGear CX9210A, itself a clone or off-branded Ergo-Tek Mesh Manager Chair) for ~$250 and available for pick up today, but goes on sale Wednesday for $164.

gently caress i'm so sorry i entered the hell world of weird regional exclusivity and off-branded stuff. i'm just gonna buy a dumb $164 chair and i was totally ready to pay ~$500.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Not to toot my own horn, but... Oh, gently caress it, I'm tooting it. PC Gamer had an article about chairs for gaming that features my company's chairs (page 2): http://www.pcgamer.com/best-pc-gaming-chairs/

sweet

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

i've reached out to a few places and so far they say the chair is exclusive to office depot in north america, even though there's no office depots outside the USA. still waiting to hear from Grand & Toy, which doesn't list it on their site but could theoretically get it since their parent company is OD.

a canadian company with free and slow-as-hell shipping sells this similar raynor chair for $779, which is like the Enjoy, but with more aluminium stuff.

this Staples-branded, $599 chair also looks suspiciously Raynor, but lacks a headrest. actually, it looks like staples bought office depot like last week, heh.

which led me to this clearly not Raynor, but full mesh with headrest(which looks vaguely like the nGear CX9210A, itself a clone or off-branded Ergo-Tek Mesh Manager Chair) for ~$250 and available for pick up today, but goes on sale Wednesday for $164.

gently caress i'm so sorry i entered the hell world of weird regional exclusivity and off-branded stuff. i'm just gonna buy a dumb $164 chair and i was totally ready to pay ~$500.

sweet

Wait, why don't you just look for a used steelcase or something near you?

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Just get a used Leap or Think.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it's hard to explain but... I did not want those chairs, it was different chairs which were the ones I fancied

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

is this thread/sub-forum basically "buy this and this only" for hundreds of pages each?

i don't think there's anything good on my local CL

and i just really need something today cause i'm working sitting in my bed and it sucks

i'll eventually just get an ergohuman but i don't want to wait for it to ship

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PleasureKevin posted:

is this thread/sub-forum basically "buy this and this only" for hundreds of pages each?

There's so much variance in what is available from state to state that the only informed advice that can be given is to buy the best known chair that is the most widely available (Leap). So, sadly, yeah.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is a good article. Question about your OM5, I see that you can ajdust the armrests forward and back, and rotate them in and out, but can you also adjust their height?

I love my maxnomic because of the ability for all those adjustments on the armrests. Its also darn comfortable. Also what material are the armrests cushioning made out of?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
After using a Leap v2 for a while I actually don't like the horizontal adjustments you can make for the armrests. Vertical adjustment is almost mandatory, but I found the horizontal adjustment would slowly drift over time and then I'd have to reset it. Might be an implementation-specific problem though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Do you guys have sales ever? The article has me convinced to try the OM5, but the 450ish ergodirect charges is still out of the range that my company will reimburse me,.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

PleasureKevin posted:

Kinda, yeah. But I also don't see how it can be hard to explain why you specifically don't want a Leap, etc.

Best advice for this thread is probably to sit in every chair you possibly can and see what works for you.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

This is a good article. Question about your OM5, I see that you can ajdust the armrests forward and back, and rotate them in and out, but can you also adjust their height?

I love my maxnomic because of the ability for all those adjustments on the armrests. Its also darn comfortable. Also what material are the armrests cushioning made out of?

Yes, they're height adjustable. I don't know the exact material, but I highly recommend ordering the RP45 (which is the one with the sliding armpad) armrests over the standard ones, as the RP45s are softer.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Do you guys have sales ever? The article has me convinced to try the OM5, but the 450ish ergodirect charges is still out of the range that my company will reimburse me,.

OM doesn't sell direct, so that's all up to the dealer. A little secret though - try calling up Ergodirect (or any of our authorized online retailers) and asking for a quote. They will be able to offer it to you significantly cheaper over the phone than on the website. This is due to the minimum advertised pricing policy which keeps online retailers from severely undercutting each other.

Edit: try these online retailers too:
http://www.ergocomfortwest.com/
http://www.officerelief.com/

FYI, I'm at a national rep meeting for OM right now, and they just revealed a prototype of a chair that incorporates elements of Leap-like chairs, the OM5, and traditional ergonomic chairs. It's all hush-hush for now, but this is probably the coolest most functional chair I've ever seen. I can't wait until I can talk more about it - it may not be for a while sadly.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 11, 2015

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Yip Yips posted:

Best advice for this thread is probably to sit in every chair you possibly can and see what works for you.

What if I live in the sticks? :(

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

i don't think there's anything good on my local CL

and i just really need something today cause i'm working sitting in my bed and it sucks

i'll eventually just get an ergohuman but i don't want to wait for it to ship

The best chair I ever had I got from costco for $75 dollars in 1998, and it lasted 11 years. I've bought 4 chairs since and never been satisfied. Currently I'm on my second HM variant, a Mirra 1 and I'm ready to throw it in the fukken backyard, dumb lovely abrasive (I put socks over them to make it bearable) single point of contact too-far-back-but-uselessly-adjustable-in-three-other-axes armrests, ridiculously short seat depth for a 6'er, and constant foot pain from pinched off circulation (only in this stupid chair). If you are in the greater Seattle area and have $225 dollars for a perfect condition but super lovely chair, leave it in my backyard and it's yours (pics and lies about how great this chair is on request). Ordered an Office Star, feels good man.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Knifegrab posted:

I'm a guy who bought an OM5 years ago because of Rotten Red, hell I bought two of them. I have to say I've loved them a whole lot since then and think they were worth every penny I bought 'em for.

The armrests sadly aren't adjustable save for going up and down to whatever height you want. I thought I'd miss that since I know it's there on the newer Herman Miller's and I honestly haven't at all, mostly because I know I can lean on these at whatever angle and I don't have to worry about them suddenly moving on me.

Also I had the back of one of my chairs break after a year or two and all it took was a quick email to my sales rep and I had a new one installed under warranty. Hell they even let me pay $35 to get the newer higher back option they came out with after my chair shipped.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Does anyone have anything nice that you prop your feet on when reclining?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

real_scud posted:

The armrests sadly aren't adjustable save for going up and down to whatever height you want. I thought I'd miss that since I know it's there on the newer Herman Miller's and I honestly haven't at all, mostly because I know I can lean on these at whatever angle and I don't have to worry about them suddenly moving on me.

This is no longer true actually - we have a few arms for the OM5 now. The new RP45 arms allow you to move the pads side-side, front-back, and pivoting inwards. You can order just the pads and swap them out really easily on your current OM5, call up a dealer and ask to purchase a set of RP45 pads.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is no longer true actually - we have a few arms for the OM5 now. The new RP45 arms allow you to move the pads side-side, front-back, and pivoting inwards. You can order just the pads and swap them out really easily on your current OM5, call up a dealer and ask to purchase a set of RP45 pads.
Hmm, I may do that but honestly I haven't ever really thought about wanting the arms to move in any way after getting them to the height I like.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yes, they're height adjustable. I don't know the exact material, but I highly recommend ordering the RP45 (which is the one with the sliding armpad) armrests over the standard ones, as the RP45s are softer.

OM doesn't sell direct, so that's all up to the dealer. A little secret though - try calling up Ergodirect (or any of our authorized online retailers) and asking for a quote. They will be able to offer it to you significantly cheaper over the phone than on the website. This is due to the minimum advertised pricing policy which keeps online retailers from severely undercutting each other.

Edit: try these online retailers too:
http://www.ergocomfortwest.com/
http://www.officerelief.com/

FYI, I'm at a national rep meeting for OM right now, and they just revealed a prototype of a chair that incorporates elements of Leap-like chairs, the OM5, and traditional ergonomic chairs. It's all hush-hush for now, but this is probably the coolest most functional chair I've ever seen. I can't wait until I can talk more about it - it may not be for a while sadly.

Just double-checking, because I'm really timid when it comes to negotiating, especially on the phone. Do you think it's reasonable to talk them down into the mid $300s? My company will reimburse me $330 for a chair, so I need to minimize how much over that I'm spending.

edit: Also, I'm 6'4" and built like a football player. Would you recommend going with the XT model instead of the regular?

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 11, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Just double-checking, because I'm really timid when it comes to negotiating, especially on the phone. Do you think it's reasonable to talk them down into the mid $300s? My company will reimburse me $330 for a chair, so I need to minimize how much over that I'm spending.

edit: Also, I'm 6'4" and built like a football player. Would you recommend going with the XT model instead of the regular?

I would just tell them that your job will reimburse you for $330 and ask if they can swing that. Seriously, they won't take it as some sort of insult, they will either say yes or tell you how low they can reasonably go.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's not actually a negotiation - they will be happy to name a lower price right up front. They'd much rather sell it at the lower price, they're just not allowed to advertise it. All the online sales sites watch each other and each other's prices really closely - if they can secure your sale from them by giving you a lower price on the phone, they will do it.

That said, no, I don't think you could get it down to 330, unfortunately - they would essentially be selling it to you at a loss at that price. Especially if you get the XT version, which yes, you absolutely should if you are 6'4", as the standard OM5 will be too small. Sorry - it's reasonably priced, but it is not a budget chair by any means.

In fact I just calculated how much they would be paying OM for an OM5-XT with arms and their net price (what they buy it from OM for) is more than 330, before shipping even. :(

THAT SAID! OM's specialty chairs for tall people (OM5-XT and PTYM) are way, way cheaper than ANYONE else's chairs. You're normally paying 800+ for specialty ergonomic chairs of that size. Even $600 is a REALLY drat good price.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I would just tell them that your job will reimburse you for $330 and ask if they can swing that. Seriously, they won't take it as some sort of insult, they will either say yes or tell you how low they can reasonably go.

They're not going to be insulted, but they're also definitely not going to sell it at that price.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 11, 2015

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I just picked up a used Leap V2 from a local office liquidator for a decent price. Aside from some scuffs it seems like new. Upgraded from a lovely wobbly costco task chair I got free when buying some ikea furniture off craigslist.

So far, it's really nice. However the cylinder is so low it drags on the carpet. I took it to an area with smooth flooring and it's 1/4 inch from the floor. Is that normal for a Leap or can the cylinder sink over time? If it's too low I'll try calling the place up and seeing if they can fix it, as I have the warranty for it. My other solutions would be get some type of hard surface for my desk area, annoying but doable, or try sticking one of those furniture sliding pucks under it.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

PirateDentist posted:

I just picked up a used Leap V2 from a local office liquidator for a decent price. Aside from some scuffs it seems like new. Upgraded from a lovely wobbly costco task chair I got free when buying some ikea furniture off craigslist.

So far, it's really nice. However the cylinder is so low it drags on the carpet. I took it to an area with smooth flooring and it's 1/4 inch from the floor. Is that normal for a Leap or can the cylinder sink over time? If it's too low I'll try calling the place up and seeing if they can fix it, as I have the warranty for it. My other solutions would be get some type of hard surface for my desk area, annoying but doable, or try sticking one of those furniture sliding pucks under it.

I see this on just about every high-end chair and I don't know why. Most photos of them are strategically taken with one of the legs pointing towards the camera so that it obscures the view of the cylinder bottom. The few that do show the cylinder bottom show that it's dangerously close to the floor, so it appears to be intentional, even on brand new units. My Aeron and Mirra both have the same cylinder clearance despite one being 9 years older than the other.

I can't stand using a rolling chair on carpet without a floor mat anyway, so I would get one of those and hope that solves the issue. Still, I have to wonder if that would drag if the plastic has any flex at all to it. If it does drag, I think I've seen larger wheels suggested as a solution to increase ground clearance a little more.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Zorilla posted:

I see this on just about every high-end chair and I don't know why. Most photos of them are strategically taken with one of the legs pointing towards the camera so that it obscures the view of the cylinder bottom. The few that do show the cylinder bottom show that it's dangerously close to the floor, so it appears to be intentional, even on brand new units. My Aeron and Mirra both have the same cylinder clearance despite one being 9 years older than the other.

I can't stand using a rolling chair on carpet without a floor mat anyway, so I would get one of those and hope that solves the issue. Still, I have to wonder if that would drag if the plastic has any flex at all to it. If it does drag, I think I've seen larger wheels suggested as a solution to increase ground clearance a little more.

I noticed that when trying to find a picture of the Leap, they all have careful leg placement. I've never had good luck with floor mats, they flex too much and crack easily. I'll have to borrow a furniture slider and see if that relieves the friction enough. Otherwise I'll probably just get some plywood and some scrap laminated flooring. It'll be worth it to not have back pain from poo poo chairs.