Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Bunch of uppity yellow cars on page 400. Let's start 401 off right, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I can be thankful it wasn't a gremlin at least.

VVVV
e: I'll beat with the metallic olive green that GMH have for their VZ commodore my partner has, or the "champagne gold" of my old EA falcon, or lovely colour of old toyotas or datsuns.
But in saying that, everything is silver and grey these days and it sucks, especially when I literally see at least one person driving without lights every single night. Dumb people are going to make DRL or headlights on compulsory 24/7 as law just because of the few dumb fuckheads, just like bad design and idiots are making RV cameras compulsory soon.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 9, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A colour that only parents can truly appreciate.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fo3 posted:

VVVV
e: I'll beat with the metallic olive green that GMH have for their VZ commodore my partner has, or the "champagne gold" of my old EA falcon, or lovely colour of old toyotas or datsuns.
But in saying that, everything is silver and grey these days and it sucks, especially when I literally see at least one person driving without lights every single night. Dumb people are going to make DRL or headlights on compulsory 24/7 as law just because of the few dumb fuckheads, just like bad design and idiots are making RV cameras compulsory soon.

I used to get upset about this sort of thing until it dawned on me that it's democracy in action. Most people are dumb cunts. Not-dumb-cunts are a minority. Laws and regulations are formulated to cater to the dumb cunts and the minority just have to put up with it because the alternative is dumb cunts running over their children and ramming other cars at night 24/7.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Fo3 posted:

Yellow Gremlin with a 401.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

joat mon posted:

Yellow Gremlin with a 401.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRe0TjbWA3s

'merica

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

No idea. I want one so bad, but I'm pretty sure it would live in my garage 95% of the time because I live in salt country and drivers here are idiots to boot.

and probably because of the whole rotary thing.

revmoo posted:

Will Haggerty cover FDs? I'd be too scared to even take one out on the road without having an agreed-value policy in place.

Next year, the first of the JDM FDs will begin to fall under the 25 year exemption and you'll be drowning in $6,000 FDs

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yay, page 401

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oj_XZhgU6Q

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What's that, AMC 401s and things?

Have an AMC 401 powered Pacer vs a Mopar 440 powered Pacer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D4V4XufyLk

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

A good friend of mine drives at 20th anniversary yellow GTI.

Hot hatch, yellow, only about a thousand of them in the US. I'm jealous.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

and probably because of the whole rotary thing.

Next year, the first of the JDM FDs will begin to fall under the 25 year exemption and you'll be drowning in $6,000 FDs

Hahahaha you wish. We've had JDM FD's from day one and they're still laughably expensive here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Hahahaha you wish. We've had JDM FD's from day one and they're still laughably expensive here.

Then get it yourself.

There are a ton of FDs here that they're advertising landed in vancouver for $5-10 grand.

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/mazda/all/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All the cheap ones look completely hosed and/or have insane mileage (for a rotary). Does it cost much to get such a thing on the road in the US?

I also forget that you guys don't have dealers exclusively importing and selling JDM cars, artificially driving up the price for everyone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somewhere along the way I started liking the FCs better and wouldn't you know it there's a gorgeous black one for sale about 45 minutes away.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 10, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Page 400 went by with no mention of the Buick GS400, so have one in yellow to make up for this.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

968 cs, best yellow car

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's not yellow, but in the latest Mythbusters episode, they try to replicate the feat of transforming a 2CV into a motorcycle using only basic hand tools.

It's pretty rad, and further cements the status of the 2CV as one of the greatest feats of engineering in automotive history.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 10, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Except for the part where they never actually got a functioning motorcycle. They could have gotten to their destination faster by walking.

Though the disassembly segment was pretty amazing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shush you. It's about the journey, not the destination.

E: I think their main problem was using the steering rack from the car, instead of doing direct steering like on an actual motorcycle. Everything else seemed like it would work.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 10, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Blipshift has a new shirt design out: "Unicorn".

:allears:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

I can't stand that color, but everything else, :awesome:

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Replace that hideous MB with a respectful 245 and you are set.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

Best yellow Porsche - RUF Yellowbird

Specifications
Weight: 1,170 kilograms (2,579 lb)
Power: 469 hp (350 kW) @ 5950 rpm
Torque: 408 lb·ft (553 N·m) @ 5100 rpm
Specific output: approx. 137 hp (102 kW) per litre
Power-to-weight ratio: approx. 5.4 pounds (2.4 kg) per horsepower
0-60 mph: 3.7 sec
0-125 mph: 11.6 sec
Quarter mile: 11.9 @ 126.3 mph (203.3 km/h)
Top Speed 211 mph (340 km/h)

Just going to leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMCfPASImQ

Most of you have probably seen it, but you should watch it again. And if you haven't seen it, you have to watch it right now.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Guinness posted:

Just going to leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMCfPASImQ

Most of you have probably seen it, but you should watch it again. And if you haven't seen it, you have to watch it right now.

That shot at 11:42 as its coming over the top of the hill followed by the huge cloud of tire smoke is just full of :allears:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I could watch that video all day, every day till the day I die.

Driving like a boss in a pair of fuckin' loafers

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Loafers are the pro-est of driving shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YPabCzxMXM

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, got that in an email this morning. Still doing mental coin flips to see if I buy it or not

EightBit posted:

I can't stand that color, but everything else, :awesome:
Brown is the correct colour for it

Solar Coaster posted:

Replace that hideous MB with a respectful 245 and you are set.
Sure, replace the good looking W123 wagon with some lovely boxy Volvo which doesn't have a diesel. Scum.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You Am I posted:

Sure, replace the good looking W123 wagon with some lovely boxy Volvo which doesn't have a diesel. Scum.

I was going to ask what the 'D' bit was about but you answered it for me!

I'd dig one of those cars.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You Am I posted:

Yeah, got that in an email this morning. Still doing mental coin flips to see if I buy it or not

W123 was the last good looking merc for about twenty years.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Everything that came out since 1995 for every auto maker ever looks like poo poo

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Slavvy posted:

W123 was the last good looking merc for about twenty years.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

You Am I posted:

You can get 240s with a Volkswagen diesel straight 6 in 'em. :colbert:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

You Am I posted:

Same, it ticks all the right boxes: wagon, brown, RWD, manual, turbo-diesel. Except for the car type. :sigh:

Still gonna buy it probably, I'm a sucker for their poo poo.

e; this isn't the chat thread...

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 11, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Proves my point pretty effectively.

Not a wagon but an old merc:

Awww yeah, I'm a greek pimp with gold chains nestled in my chest hairs, ring-encrusted arm dangling casually out the side of my 'vert. I don't know what these are like mechanically but they've always looked fantastic to me.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

status of the 2CV as one of the greatest feats of engineering in automotive history.
Here's another fun one on that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oFDacv0hc8

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Agreed, I loved my W124 and the 190e sports evo alone should be enough to convince anyone it was best.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I like the W124 too.
The W124 looks good on it's own, for a modern style.
The W123 doesn't look anywhere near as good as any of the older mercs, so it's nowhere stylistically.

The W123 isn't bad, but slavvy should see what they did to it in the USA due to it needing sealed beams and huge bumpers before he thinks he can convince anyone who lives in the USA. I don't think many would like the W123 over there for looks, (just for the build quality and the oil burner under the bonnet.)

E: I do like old mercs though, a mate had a w108 with the 3.5L v8, and I almost bought a w111 230S myself a couple of years ago when I had money, I couldn't decide on that or a W124.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 11, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The W124 that has this in it if you get it with 4motion?

:stonk: yes, that is real, that is not just the nightmare product of a feverish German engineer's mind. Well, it is, but... they actually made the loving thing.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

kastein posted:

The W124 that has this in it if you get it with 4motion?

:stonk: yes, that is real, that is not just the nightmare product of a feverish German engineer's mind. Well, it is, but... they actually made the loving thing.
What in the actual poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The spring is pretty goofy but that diff/oil pan setup isn't too strange. Nissan does something similar for example, which is better than sticking a v8 in front of the front axle like audi. Subaru kind of gets away with it by using the short, low, light h-4, but still, whole engine in front of the axle isn't a good thing for handling or packaging.