Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Oh, interesting. I'll check that one out for sure. Never seen a modern look in with proper Chinese sources instead of dudes having to rely on slightly old biased version of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Looking for some documentaries about depression recovery, mental health care in america, etc.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
New Adam Curtis thing, Bitter Lake, was good. I assume this will be DMCAed almost immediately, but for anyone not in iPlayer land, try your luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1DkiyLH1dc

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
drat, blocked already but thanks for heads up.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
Assuming you're getting the same error as me, 'Mosfilm' has only blocked it from being seen as an embedded link, you can still click 'Watch on Youtube'

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Caught The Bridge, about suicide jumpers on the Golden Gate Bridge. The film crew spent an entire year filming the bridge and actually caught 23 of the 24 suicides that occurred in 2004 on camera. But the movie doesn't follow through on its own thesis — it doesn't offer an interesting theory about why this bridge draws so many to commit suicide there in particular, and it becomes bogged down with very flat interviews with surviving family members. By far the most interesting part is an interview with someone who jumped and survived (!).

Also saw Bobby Fischer Against the World on HBO Go, a very cookie-cutter biopic that's worth watching just for the new interviews with nearly every one of Fischer's contemporaries. But the "mystery" of why he went off the deep end is no mystery, since it's clear cut mental illness. So the last 40 minutes really drag. You'd do just fine watching up through his match with Spassky and then quitting.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Caught another HBO documentary, Thin, by the same director who made Queen of Versailles.

The director spent 6 months at an in-patient eating disorder rehab center in Florida, and the film focuses on four girls going through the whole process of recovery. Strikes the perfect balance of hooking you with an "ISSUE" but quickly gets very personal and keeps you interested in how these women approach rehabilitation. It ends on a very somber note that underlines how deep these problems run, running the gamut from deep depression to physical abuse and generalized body dysmorphia and anxiety.

And while I don't have children, I think this would actually be an excellent guided watch for parents with young teens in order to discuss with their children, if that's something anyone here is looking for. I would just watch it first to make sure you're prepared for some of the more gruesome and emotional moments.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Shunkymonky posted:

Assuming you're getting the same error as me, 'Mosfilm' has only blocked it from being seen as an embedded link, you can still click 'Watch on Youtube'

Oh duh, thanks! Watched it earlier today and it's quite good. Maybe it's me, but this felt like the most depressing doc from Curtis I've seen yet.

The west really hosed up the Middle East. :sigh:

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
Watched First Position again, one of my favorites. Follows a bunch of aspiring ballet dancers, its shot very well and all the kids were super nice and non annoying. Engrossing til the end which accumulates in the NY Grand Prix in which aspiring kids battle it out for prestigious scholarships and contracts with companies. Would watch again

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

mod sassinator posted:

Oh duh, thanks! Watched it earlier today and it's quite good. Maybe it's me, but this felt like the most depressing doc from Curtis I've seen yet.

I thought it was by far the funniest of his works. The bit where it cut from him talking about reports of torture in Bagram prison to footage of that woman trying to explain one of Duchamp's Readymades was absolutely hilarious.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

I thought it was by far the funniest of his works. The bit where it cut from him talking about reports of torture in Bagram prison to footage of that woman trying to explain one of Duchamp's Readymades was absolutely hilarious.

Bitter Lake was one of the saddest and bitterly funny things I have seen.

I stashed a copy in my media manager and it identified it as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HealMOZurEo, which seems like a different lake entirely. Not gonna lie, kind of want to watch the other one now.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

DashingGentleman posted:

Bitter Lake was one of the saddest and bitterly funny things I have seen.

The description of the Soviet assassination attempts and their conclusion were also darkly funny.

It is a depressing but engrossing work and as wonderfully informative as his previous documentaries.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just posting to share the love for Bitter Lake. My mind was racing the whole time.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The Other Dream Team is on Netflix. Great doc about the 1992 Lithuanian national basketball team specifically but basketball in Lithuania and the fall of the Soviet Union in general.

It's a great doc that frames a bigger issue through the lens of sports.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Bitter Lake was really good, thanks for recommending it.

Edit: Whoa It Felt Like a Kiss is amazing.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 3, 2015

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Watching Frontline: Losing Iraq on Netflix. Most of the information here can be found in other documentaries, but I think it does a great job gathering together many pertinent details in a tidy package.

Now I just have to convince people to watch it. Probably a fool's hope. :smith:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah their other documentaries called Bush's War (2 parter on the run up to Iraq war 2) and Obama's War (on afghanistan and pakistan) are fantastic. Not sure they're on Netflix, but they're probably on pbs.org.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
After watching Ed Wood, (Johnny Depp) I checked youtube for any real documentaries on Ed.

And found this odd thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckBD4hip730

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm already late to the bitter lake proselytization, but it was good. I caught wind of it during Charlier Brookers Year Wipe 2014 and set it on my caledar to make sure I found it the day it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXcpDO8_3qU

mod sassinator posted:

The west really hosed up the Middle East. :sigh:
I saw it differently: the west thought they could "tame" the middle east and the middle east took what they wanted and booted them the gently caress out. They've seemed to chew the west up and spit them back out.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The description of the Soviet assassination attempts and their conclusion were also darkly funny.

It is a depressing but engrossing work and as wonderfully informative as his previous documentaries.
Sniper, poison the pepsi, poison a whole bunch of people at dinner. gently caress they got a doctor, JUST THROW A loving GRENADE IN AND SHOOT EVERYONE WE AREN'T loving AROUND ANYMORE THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO WORK.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

magnificent7 posted:

After watching Ed Wood, (Johnny Depp) I checked youtube for any real documentaries on Ed.

And found this odd thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckBD4hip730

Stick past the end credits, that Rhino Video commerical is amazing.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears
PBS has Last Days in Vietnam up on their website. It's only going to be available February 5th through the 7th. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/lastdays/

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_YJ8OlpqnI

documentary on the snowtown murders

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
For No Good Reason - Documentary about artist / cartoonist Ralph Steadman, presented by Johnny Depp. They chat about time with Hunter S. Thompson and discuss Steadman's art and so on, he does some work for the camera, etc.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2112152/
Trailers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MHEu6ZYOUM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n5E1xZtaJY

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

cstang posted:

PBS has Last Days in Vietnam up on their website. It's only going to be available February 5th through the 7th. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/lastdays/

I've been wanting to see this, thanks for posting it.

On a loosely related note: I watched The Missing Picture doc recently, it was really depressing but also really good and bittersweet. It's a guy narrating his experiences suffering under the Khmer Rouge's oppression in the years after they took power in Cambodia. It uses hand-made figurines and dioramas as the visualizations for most of the narration with some old footage from TV and Khmer made propaganda films too.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Just to reiterate because I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread already -- watch The Thin Blue Line on Netflix instant if you haven't.

I think I'd put it off for so long because I was aware of the whole case, the result and Morris' techniques. But it was even better than I'd hoped.

The Philip Glass score and repetitive recreation (with slight variation) of the scene of the crime is a home-run decision that perfectly melds form and message of eyewitness unreliability. Even KNOWING it was coming the final scene remains a gut-punch. Just excellent.

A nice post-script that I didn't know until looking it up – this movie wasn't in competition for best doc oscar because of the dramatizations (none of which have dialogue!). Which is a fascinating commentary on what we expect from our docs, which is presumably a parade of interviews and photos. And is especially hilarious given the shredding of evidentiary techniques that the movie presents.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah but what's it about?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Just to reiterate because I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread already -- watch The Thin Blue Line on Netflix instant if you haven't.

I think I'd put it off for so long because I was aware of the whole case, the result and Morris' techniques. But it was even better than I'd hoped.

The Philip Glass score and repetitive recreation (with slight variation) of the scene of the crime is a home-run decision that perfectly melds form and message of eyewitness unreliability. Even KNOWING it was coming the final scene remains a gut-punch. Just excellent.

A nice post-script that I didn't know until looking it up – this movie wasn't in competition for best doc oscar because of the dramatizations (none of which have dialogue!). Which is a fascinating commentary on what we expect from our docs, which is presumably a parade of interviews and photos. And is especially hilarious given the shredding of evidentiary techniques that the movie presents.

Just in case you're not aware, Criterion is releasing the film on Blu-Ray toward the end of March. Should be pretty cool.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Yeah but what's it about?

I can't detect if you're being sarcastic, but just in case — a man in Texas is convicted and put on death row for killing a cop during a traffic stop. At every step the convicted man protests his innocence.

Errol Morris (the documentarian), while working as a private investigator, begins interviewing those involved in the case, and piece by piece is convinced that the wrong man has been convicted. He begins developing a movie in parallel with his investigation, and the stunning result is The Thin Blue Line.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I can't detect if you're being sarcastic, but just in case — a man in Texas is convicted and put on death row for killing a cop during a traffic stop. At every step the convicted man protests his innocence.

Errol Morris (the documentarian), while working as a private investigator, begins interviewing those involved in the case, and piece by piece is convinced that the wrong man has been convicted. He begins developing a movie in parallel with his investigation, and the stunning result is The Thin Blue Line.

I wasn't so thanks for explaining.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I don't remember it being mentioned here before, but if you have a desire to be angry, or to rage against the flaws in the American justice system Kids for Cash is up in Netflix. The documentary is occasionally slow but my wife and I thought it was time well spent.

From IMDB:
Kids For Cash is a riveting look behind the notorious judicial scandal that rocked the nation. Beyond the millions paid and high stakes corruption, Kids For Cash exposes a shocking American secret. In the wake of the shootings at Columbine, a small town celebrates a charismatic judge who is hell-bent on keeping kids in line...until one parent dares to question the motives behind his brand of justice. This real life thriller reveals the untold stories of the masterminds at the center of the scandal and the chilling aftermath of lives destroyed in the process - a stunning emotional roller coaster.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh hey, I read that book. Had no idea they made a doc out of it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh hey, I read that book. Had no idea they made a doc out of it.

How was the book?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A legit piece of journalism with a truly awful title, but the whole situation beggars belief anyway no matter how jaded you may be.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Anyone here see Red Army? Saw it and Leviathan as a double feature.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NutritiousSnack posted:

Anyone here see Red Army? Saw it and Leviathan as a double feature.

The trailer made it look badass so I'm gonna see it the instant I can.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Has anyone here seen Maidan yet? I'm hitting it up tonight. It looks sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrZAnlIgZpg

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Did anyone else watch The Jinx on HBO about the Robert Durst murders? I think it's going to be a 3 part series. But the hook at the end of episode one is that Durst has asked the documentary filmmakers to do an all-encompassing interview with him about his life. I can't wait!

Edit: oooo, six parts! Fun stuff.

Cocoa Ninja fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 10, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The trailer made it look badass so I'm gonna see it the instant I can.

Red Army is the one about the Miracle on Ice from the Russians POV, right?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Red Army is the one about the Miracle on Ice from the Russians POV, right?

Yup. It gives me vibes like that one part of "This Was The GDR" about East German athletes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Yup. It gives me vibes like that one part of "This Was The GDR" about East German athletes.

As a huge fan of Slava Fetisov, Imma watch the poo poo out of it.