Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Stephen posted:

My coworker goes on about these books and made them sound quite interesting, but he's also a bitcoiner, so I'm pretty torn. Are they pretty much bitcoin fantasy novels or something?

snow crash: legitimately entertaining, if implausible, libertopia book with Second Life stuff thrown in

diamond age: even more entertaining and implausible utopia about voluntary traditionalist nations rising out of libertopia. also, nanotech

baroque cycle: incredibly cringey steampunk written in autistic imitation of victorian prose

i didnt like cryptonomicon and anathem much so wont review them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

it's kind of a huge rounding error then

one is the set of all used addresses with zero and nonzero balances

the other is the set of all used addresses of nonzero balances

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ayn rand hand job posted:

one is the set of all used addresses with zero and nonzero balances

the other is the set of all used addresses of nonzero balances

and there's a 9% difference between the numbers but it says each represent 100% of wallets

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Stephen posted:

My coworker goes on about these books and made them sound quite interesting, but he's also a bitcoiner, so I'm pretty torn. Are they pretty much bitcoin fantasy novels or something?
Snow Crash is excellent and basically invented the modern (i.e., post-Gibson) cyberpunk genre, and accurately predicted Wikipedia, Google Earth, surveillance culture, and MMOs in general and Second Life in particular, which is goddamn impressive for a book written in 1992. It's also why the picture to the left of your posts is called an avatar. It's hilarious satire; the opening chapter follows the main character -- whose name is Hiro Protagonist -- in his high-octane adventures as a pizza delivery boy for the Mafia, and none of that sentence was an exaggeration.

Diamond Age is a psuedo-sequel to Snow Crash and pretty good, but it's started to take itself seriously and you can tell, which drags the whole thing down because instead of the knowing ludicrousness of Snow Crash you have ludicrous poo poo that is supposed to be plausible and eeeeesh.

Cryptonomicon is sorta two books crammed into one. The part of the book that's about World War 2 is excellent and makes the other half, which is a bunch of technolibertarian wanking, worth it.

Baroque Cycle is overlong and doesn't have a point I could discern, and that's where I stopped.

w/r/t coiner bullshit: Snow Crash takes place after all the governments have collapsed, which happened because the corporations grew so big and took over so much that basically life went right on as normal when everything became privately owned, the federal government still exists and is treated as an amusing anachronism that thinks it has any power, isn't that cute. But again, it's satire, and it has a lot of fun with all the ridiculous and terrible poo poo that privately owned everything would cause.

Diamond Age is, like I said, Snow Crash but taking itself seriously, so it advances Snow Crash's society by two generations and tries to make it all actually work, but on the other hand that means that there are governments again. (In an actually funny bit early on, a character gets his day in court, is asked what group he's part of, and when he says he doesn't have one the judge basically laughs in his face and goes "wow, sucks to be you, enjoy your no rights whatsoever")

Cryptonomicon is where the coiner-wank happens, the modern half is all about data havens and cryptocurrencies that no government can control, and will therefore cause the collapse of all the governments because if they can't control it how can they tax it???? Even as an impressionable teenager my reaction to that was "okay, even if I grant you a perfectly encrypted and untraceable currency -- and that's a hell of a gimme, mind you -- governments are still gonna want their taxes when you operate on their soil and I don't think 'oh we have no employees and made no sales here, haha, prove we didn't' is gonna fly, they're gonna either see your W2s or raid your dumb asses"

Baroque Cycle is about magic gold and a dude with half a dick or something idk

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Stephen posted:

you can read snow crash, but before you do you should know that the main character is literally named "hiro protaganist" and he's amazing with his samurai sword and he rides a sweet rear end motorcycle

it was published in '92 so it's probably the originator of a lot of horrible cliches but it doesn't really make them any more palatable 20 years later, apart from that it's not bad

diamond age has some interesting worldbuilding but as mentioned he can't write endings for poo poo

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ursine Asylum posted:

you can read snow crash, but before you do you should know that the main character is literally named "hiro protaganist" and he's amazing with his samurai sword and he rides a sweet rear end motorcycle
I still maintain that the opening chapter is so over the top as to drive out anyone who'd be trying to take the book seriously as soon as possible

it is basically "hey if you are the dude who leaves A Midsummer Night's Dream because you don't believe in fairies, here's your fair warning to get the gently caress out. Okay, is he gone? Sweet, everyone else who thought that this poo poo was a hoot, strap in because now I'm about to get really silly"

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

CapnAndy posted:

(In an actually funny bit early on, a character gets his day in court, is asked what group he's part of, and when he says he doesn't have one the judge basically laughs in his face and goes "wow, sucks to be you, enjoy your no rights whatsoever")

lol that part was great

people will remember this stuff in 50 years the way we remember Heinlein

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

CapnAndy posted:

Baroque Cycle is overlong and doesn't have a point I could discern, and that's where I stopped.

it's about the philosophy behind early attempts at rigorous science and has some economic stuff thrown in there but he also mixes in a bunch of pirates and conspiracies and stuff to try to make it less boring

worked on me but ymmv - I also loved anathem which is has lot of philosophical wanking but also was decent scifi

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Munkeymon posted:

and there's a 9% difference between the numbers but it says each represent 100% of wallets

100% of all bitcoins, there are no bitcoins in the used but empty wallets so you have 100% of the bitcoins with either group.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Since this is now a book club, I'll chime in and say that you should treat Snow Crash as a B movie - laugh at its wild and purposeful exaggerations and just be taken on the ride, and I agree that the most of the WW2-era section of cryptonomicon was good, I just couldn't bring myself to care at all about the present day video telegraphs company and stockholder lawsuit blabbering sections. Especially the fact that the ending was just finding a horde of gold, killing a bunch of random characters who happened to find it at exactly the same time, and the book ends abruptly when they just napalm the cache of gold to let it run out of the hidden area as a river. :jerkbag: It could also do without the paragraphs' worth of descriptions on the character's need to wank it (yes, really), so like I said, it's about 8x too long - a trimmed down novella wouldn't be too bad

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
why does nobody ever talk about the big u or zodiac when talking about stephenson

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
my favorite thing stephenson has written is actually the novel-length article he did for wired about the history and current (as of the mid-90s) state of trans-oceanic communications cables. real science, relevant real-world tech, cool tangents, minimal technolib wankery

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 10, 2015

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
https://bitcoinprivacy.net/index.php/distribution.html

quote:

Gini coefficient of non-dust addresses 0.98258008

wikipedia posted:

A Gini coefficient of one (or 100%) expresses maximal inequality among values (for example, where only one person has all the income or consumption, and all others have none). [...] For larger groups, values close to or above 1 are very unlikely in practice.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

It's also why the picture to the left of your posts is called an avatar.

Richard Garriott might want to have a word with you.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

lol

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

evilweasel posted:

100% of all bitcoins, there are no bitcoins in the used but empty wallets so you have 100% of the bitcoins with either group.

oh derp

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

so what is left now of the original pro-bitcoin arguments? is it just "no chargebacks"?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

shadok posted:

some of them are hoping that satoshi nakamoto will appear like hari seldon and guide them in this moment of crisis.

True leaders take Seldon Crises into their own hands.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
anathem has a lot of really interesting ideas and is totally worth reading as hard sci-fi, although it does have a galt speech moment (not randian, i just mean a long and self-indulgent passage talking about something the author thinks is really important. you can skip it)

the baroque cycle is a pretty good adventure story, it is very long but actually reads surprisingly quickly because it is pretty much just a silly adventure with a lot of interesting historical details tossed in about 17th century science / politics. also a duel with miniature cannons

cryptonomicon has two really good ww2 stories wrapped up with a modern bit that mostly just pales in comparison, it also does not actually celebrate the techno libertarianism as much as people here are saying. the modern ending is a little weak

diamond age has a lot of great setting potential but really under-delivers and the ending sucks

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Second Life in particular

the second life creators frequently cited snow crash as their inspiration so i don't think you can count this one

also, neil stephenson sucks, that's my review

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

you guys realize there's a sci fi thread, right

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

As a Millennial I posted:

you guys realize there's a sci fi thread, right

i've never realised anything

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

Richard Garriott might want to have a word with you.
Having a character, even the main character, named the Avatar isn't the same thing, Snow Crash is the reason why it's a synonym for "the representation of yourself you use to interact with other people in an online environment" and wikipedia says so too so there

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

rjmccall posted:

it also does not actually celebrate the techno libertarianism as much as people here are saying.

I read it a really long time ago but even aside from the present-day plot being an anti-state fever dream it has stuff like a major subplot about unbreakable encryption, long tangents about van eck phreaking and steganography, a server closet with an EMP self-destruct device, etc

CapnAndy posted:

Having a character, even the main character, named the Avatar isn't the same thing, Snow Crash is the reason why it's a synonym for "the representation of yourself you use to interact with other people in an online environment" and wikipedia says so too so there

wikipedia uses the word "popularize" which is code for "we all know you're right but if we don't acknowledge this one earlier thing the spergs will never stop trying to rewrite the entire entry"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

look at all these new posts talking about dumb idiot poo poo books

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

look at all these new posts talking about dumb idiot poo poo books

no dont

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

haveblue posted:

wikipedia uses the word "popularize" which is code for "we all know you're right but if we don't acknowledge this one earlier thing the spergs will never stop trying to rewrite the entire entry"

their citation is a dead link to an internet glossary. lol.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
wasnt stephensons next big thing a kickstartered open sores 3d engine for specific weapon movements

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

graph posted:

wasnt stephensons next big thing a kickstartered open sores 3d engine for specific weapon movements

yep https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang/posts/989911

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

he looks like that guy from command & conquer

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.
Mycelium Wallet was suspended from Google Play (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago * by Rassah

If you try to download Mycelium Wallet from Google Play, you will get a 403 error. We just received an email stating that Mycelium Wallet has been suspended due to policy violations, with
REASON FOR SUSPENSION: Violation of the paid and free provision of the Content Policy and section 3.5 of the Developer Distribution Agreement. Please refer to the Third Party Payments help center article for more information.
We are trying to get to the bottom of this. In the mean time, you can always download our wallet from our website directly at https://mycelium.com/bitcoinwallet
Above is signed by 1Rassahgt3XSxKVJ62oSrQJxtH3wk4MKX HKD8ArfP9QCe9db157dKnGNeqkQnDsPQll+lKWSe5J1ucEIuoAtVQvEhXS8oDN8VdFqEN3BdnbjAtRfy2MScMkQ=
P.S. Yes, my account is shadowbanned. I have been trying to resolve that for a while now.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Dude in Cryptonomicon wanted to use the Blockchain to make an eternal memorial to Holocaust victims and use it as a way to teach those dirty poors in third world countries how to stop ethnic cleansing themselves every now and again.

Basically, "[xxxx] but with Bitcoin".

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
hey if you want GOOD computer fiction i have a book for you

tommy p is like a jillion years old and absolutely all of this book is on point. he makes jokes about javascript and the microsoft LM hash thing that wouldn't be out of place here. here is a quote

Thomas Pynchon posted:

You know where it all comes from, this online paradise of yours? It started back during the Cold War, when the think tanks were full of geniuses plotting nuclear scenarios. Attache cases and horn-rims, every appearance of scholarly sanity, going in to work every day to imagine all the ways the world was going to end. Your Internet, back then the Defense Department called it DARPAnet, the real original purpose was to assure survival of U.S. command and control after a nuclear exchange with the Soviets.

Yep, and your Internet was their invention, this magical convenience that creeps now like a smell through the smallest details of our lives, the shopping, the housework, the homework, the taxes, absorbing our energy, eating up our precious time. And there’s no innocence. Anywhere. Never was. It was conceived in sin, the worst possible. As it kept growing, it never stopped carrying in its heart a bitter-cold death wish for the planet, and don’t think anything has changed, kid.

Call it freedom, it’s based on control. Everybody connected together, impossible anybody should ever get lost, ever again. Take the next step, connect it to these cell phones, you got a total Web of surveillance, inescapable. You remember the comics in the Daily News? Dick Tracy’s wrist radio? It’ll be everywhere, the rubes’ll all be begging to wear one, handcuffs of the future. Terrific. What they dream about at the Pentagon, worldwide martial law.

oh and he wrote it just *before* snowden which is nuts

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boxturret posted:

i've never realised anything

Much like Bitcoiners, except they don't even realize that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Tiny Bug Child posted:

here is a quote
That's an awfully odd way to spell "drat kids with their drat gizmos, get off my lawn"

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Worst computer fiction is Dave Eggers's The Circle.

I like Walter Jon Williams's books about MMORPGs.

To talk about butts, the volumes on the USD exchanges are crazy low right now, and the price is dawdling between $215 and $220. Obviously this is good for Bitcoin because

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 10, 2015

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Shutting Down the Coinbase Tip Button
now we just need to kill changetip

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

Real life experience paying with bitcoin (self.Bitcoin)

submitted an hour ago by omnipoint

Let me premise this by saying that I am a firm believer of bitcoin as a revolutionary technology. I whole-heatedly believe that bitcoin will gain traction in the future, but right now, it's a consumer's nightmare.
Today for lunch, I went to the Mexicali Burrito in Cambridge expecting to pay with bitcoin. I was pretty excited, because this store was the latest to accept bitcoin in the area. I made my order and had my coinbase app fired up, ready to scan a qr code. However, the cashier wasn't ready.
Okay... Not such a big deal. He spends a few seconds to pull out an iphone, and launches what looked like the bitpay app. A few more seconds pass and it still doesn't load.
The line behind me is getting busy and the next customer is ready to pay...but this app still hasn't loaded. In the end, I paid with credit to speed up the process. When I finished paying, the bitpay app still had not loaded.
I had a little chat with the clerk during this time and he said that they were planning to stop accepting bitcoin in the upcoming month.
As it is now, bitcoin needs a face lift. It needs better PR and it needs better consumer/merchant interfaces. I still think that bitcoin is awesome, but there is still much that needs to be improved.
tldr; tried to pay with bitcoin, merchant bitpay app never loaded

currency of the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

graph posted:

he was super hyped to make a videogame that accurately simulated real swordfighting

missing the very obvious problem that simulating that is impossible without a sword that can somehow collide with game assets mid-swing

ChangeTip still literally has no business model whatsoever, right? it's just a plan to charge a percentage some time in the future?

• Locked thread