Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
While we're down memory lane; early CD-ROM burners that did not have buffer underrun protection. Having to sit and wait for up to an hour for the disc to be burned, and then discover it had turned into an expensive beer coaster was a bit frustrating, to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

peter gabriel posted:

I had a Creative Geforce 2MX for a while that was a well known card to where I worked because it was a Geforce 2 that had been gimped somehow and people could ungimp them or something.

The card I had most love for was the ATI 9800 Pro Gold, man that thing lasted ages

http://www.cnet.com/products/ati-radeon-9800-pro-128mb-agp/specs/

Ha, I had a 9700 Pro for ever and ever; that was a great family.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mng posted:

While we're down memory lane; early CD-ROM burners that did not have buffer underrun protection. Having to sit and wait for up to an hour for the disc to be burned, and then discover it had turned into an expensive beer coaster was a bit frustrating, to say the least.

Hahahaha I burned so many worthless CDs this way.

I remember getting a huge spindle of CDRs for Christmas one year and I remember going through all of them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Wearable computers OF THE FUTURE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbK-Bo3k9KQ

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Sweet Jesus... that sweater!

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives

I loving love this, because they were so god drat close. It was just that no one really understood just how small were going to be able to get and now every single thing she talks about her Power Ranger armor doing, is done with your phone.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

mng posted:

Man, starting to burn a CD and making goddamn sure that NO ONE who was around would even think of so much nudging the mouse until it was done. You also just KNEW your younger brother would ignore you (cough, I admit this was me a couple of times).

So much about computers was voodoo from the mid 90s to early 2000s but CD burning especially.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

mng posted:

I managed to get a very early BURN PROOF writer, back when you could sell copies to people for 10 quid a pop, and not dodgy software either, like copies of their files :lol:

Computer viking posted:

Ha, I had a 9700 Pro for ever and ever; that was a great family.

Yeah mine saw me through 2 PCs which is a feat that has never been repeated I don't think, very good cards

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Sweet Jesus... that sweater!
Those eyebrows. :catstare:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Code Jockey posted:

For some reason this reminded me how amazing things looked when I first began to run games in 640x480. So crisp! So many pixels!

I remember for a while too that 1024x768 was the super-high-resolution that only the best of the best graphics cards could run things at.

I remember having to physically flip a switch on the monitor to change it to SVGA mode.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

KozmoNaut posted:

I went straight from a Riva TNT to a Geforce Ti4200 128MB, which was one hell of leap.
I went from a tnt2 to a 440mx so I could play battlefield 1942. Later on I went for a radeon 9600 because the 440mx was poo poo.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I'm torn between cringing and waxing nostalgic on the aesthetics. On the one hand, they look like the illegitimate children of a Gameboy and a Thighmaster, but on the other hand, who doesn't want to be a high(er) tech version of Data?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mng posted:

This, but when you ran the burner through a "simulation" run first and it still failed.

Two hours and several dollars down the drain :smithicide:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

Nobody wanted the Voodoo 4 at all...

Tribes players did. Tribes ran sooo much better on an 3DFX card than it did on Nvidia, at the time.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005

Lowen SoDium posted:

Tribes players did. Tribes ran sooo much better on an 3DFX card than it did on Nvidia, at the time.

I bought that just because of Tribes, I don't regret it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Anybody else have one of these babies?

It wanted to be an iPhone way before you could really have an iPhone.

I also had a palm pilot in high school. I was so into the idea of computer tablets, I knew that poo poo was gonna be hot.

Then iPhones came out and everybody got one and they were finally good, and I couldn't afford one for years. :smith:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NLJP posted:

So much about computers was voodoo from the mid 90s to early 2000s but CD burning especially.

Everything has become so much easier now, but printing is still a bitch.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

gently caress its weird seeing Beyond2000 with an american presenter. That show ran for like 15 years here in Australia and never really knew it was popular overseas.

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

blugu64 posted:

They were essentially a hardware MPEG decoder. The king poo poo thing to do was get one running on Linux, and use it to watch the Matrix.

This reminds me of something of a predecessor to that, the Reelmagic. Back when CD-Rom made it possible to blow our minds by having grainy, pixelated, 15 FPS videos in our games, this card made it possible to view not-so-lovely videos on our computers, though any games had to release a separate version just for it. I think Return to Zork had one, no idea if anyone else bothered.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

I managed to get a very early BURN PROOF writer, back when you could sell copies to people for 10 quid a pop, and not dodgy software either, like copies of their files :lol:

Yeah mine saw me through 2 PCs which is a feat that has never been repeated I don't think, very good cards

I was an undergraduate during the heyday of napster. A guy in my dorm was selling CDs of people's mp3 (from open windows share folders) for $10 a pop.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

KozmoNaut posted:

Everything has become so much easier now, but printing is still a bitch.

All printers should come with a "stop loving around right goddamn now!" button so that when you need to change the ink it doesn't take five bloody minutes while the print head goes back and forth over and over for no reason.

It makes me feel like a parent of a two year old. "Just let me put a clean top on you then you can go play with your friends. Stop squirming!"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
As the family tech support for my entire life, gently caress printers forever. Who even needs to print poo poo anymore? It's not the goddamn 90s now, I got no time for Klax and I sure as gently caress don't want to troubleshoot a drat printer.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

All printers should come with a "stop loving around right goddamn now!" button so that when you need to change the ink it doesn't take five bloody minutes while the print head goes back and forth over and over for no reason.

It makes me feel like a parent of a two year old. "Just let me put a clean top on you then you can go play with your friends. Stop squirming!"

Printers are so weird. A cheap printer and tiny ink cartridge is £10 at the PC shop. The full-size cartridges are £15-20 each. I guess the companies figure that they'll lose money on the printer and make the money from repeated ink cartridge purchases, but on the rare occasion I want to print something I just buy the new printer, use it once or twice until it runs out and then buy another.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yesterday I tried to print a borderless document. I say tried because everytime I select "borderless" it switches to "HP high quality ultra max glossy 10$ a sheet photo paper". Because that's the only paper the printer can print borderless on obviously. What the gently caress? Its 2015, just let me print.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I consider myself extremely lucky that I managed to score an almost brand new business-grade Kyocera laser printer with all the upgrades, network interface etc. from work a couple of years ago. 99,9% of the time, it does exactly what I tell it, the other 0,1% I have to open and close all the flaps and it seems to come to its senses.

It's kinda handy for printing out recipes, car/motorcycle service diagrams and the like, which saves my smartphone/laptop from a lot of wear and dirtiness.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Until computers are exactly like paper in every away, they cannot replace paper.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No I'm not drunk.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I remember a few years ago seeing a breakdown of HPs profits and the ink sales accounted for something crazy like 50% of them, it may have been bullshit, I am struggling to find anything to back it up now.

Jerry Cotton posted:

No I'm not drunk.

Why not?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Printers always gouge with ink sales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBISqS9oNB4&t=161s

Bring back the Apple Silentype!

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Just used a printer in our office, to print out some drawings and assembly instructions for a trebuchet my scouts are going to build.

So, printing out drawings for obsolete (but very cool) techonology.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Light Gun Man posted:

As the family tech support for my entire life, gently caress printers forever. Who even needs to print poo poo anymore? It's not the goddamn 90s now, I got no time for Klax and I sure as gently caress don't want to troubleshoot a drat printer.

These "physical media is dead" posts are getting out of control.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I print out important emails and put them in front of me so I don't forget about them :3:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Shout out to the cheap laser printers. I have a $50 dollar one I picked up from Fry's and she's still chugging ~8 years later

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ron Jeremy posted:

Shout out to the cheap laser printers. I have a $50 dollar one I picked up from Fry's and she's still chugging ~8 years later

The Brother HL-22700W is way loving better than it has any right to be, for as little as it sells for. WiFi AND an autoduplexer? And it doesn't weigh a metric ton? Sign me the gently caress up :dance:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I loved my $50 Brother laser printer so much that I bought a nicer one when I decided I needed a scanner. Except for the few times when you need to print in color, a cheap laser printer has practically none of the drawbacks of most printers.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I bought a $70 USB one off of newegg when I was taking a screenwriting class something like 7-8 years ago, and since then I've only ever had to replace the toner exactly once, and it's still going.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

peter gabriel posted:

I print out important emails and put them in front of me so I don't forget about them :3:

Oh god, the IT thread tales were true.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

An Angry Bug posted:

Oh god, the IT thread tales were true.

Hey, I don't want to forget anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The Brother HL-22700W is way loving better than it has any right to be, for as little as it sells for. WiFi AND an autoduplexer? And it doesn't weigh a metric ton? Sign me the gently caress up :dance:

I've got its hot colour sister, it has a touch screen and does A3 at a push:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-MFC...her+mfc+j4510dw

loving £100 ink :negative: