Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Nintendo Kid posted:

Remember when Audiophiles used to argue about what was the best quality CD-Rs?

"My favorites: Maxell 80 Minute Pro (blue) for solid robust low end, detail and clean immediacy; Maxell Music 80 minute gold for a balanced hight-to-mid-to-bottom and wide sparkle; Fuji 80 Minute Audio for a wetter sound (smoothes out the edges). Memorex Music 80 minutes is very nice, Taiyo Yuden 700 MB are close, the Mitsui and BASF are in there, Sony could be better..."

I know yellow SATA cables make data transfer faster, and black PCBs are for a blacker background in music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Which is why you want the blue SATA cables. Transferring the bits too fast leads to jitter.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KillHour posted:

Which is why you want the blue SATA cables. Transferring the bits too fast leads to jitter.

I've always found when you wrapped band of green electrical tape resonance mask around the middle of the cable it led to a richer, warmer sound for digital music. And as luck would have it, I happen to have finally put it on the market after years of development. I also have pre-resonated SATA cables with helpful directional arrows for sale as well. All constructed in a nitrogen-rich atmosphere.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flosofl posted:

I've always found when you wrapped band of green electrical tape resonance mask around the middle of the cable it led to a richer, warmer sound for digital music. And as luck would have it, I happen to have finally put it on the market after years of development. I also have pre-resonated SATA cables with helpful directional arrows for sale as well. All constructed in a nitrogen-rich atmosphere.

That just reminds me of one of the best marketing ideas of all time:

There was a series of companies back in the 50s through 70s that would poo poo out various cheapy products. To make them seem more appealing, a thing they would do is say "your order will be hand delivered by a uniformed member of the federal government" - which would of course be the mail man.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm just going to drop this here:

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2014/12/250000-eur-schnerzinger-audio-cable.html

€250K :catstare:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

...did they ever take the packaging off?

Also an hour to cable up some speakers is brilliant.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

88h88 posted:

...did they ever take the packaging off?

Also an hour to cable up some speakers is brilliant.

I not sure whether that site is the most elaborate troll of all time or they are actually sincere about what they do.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
To be quite honest, I don't think I've ever heard a line array design by an audiophile company sound good.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

http://www.schnerzinger.com/technology.php posted:

THE PROBLEM (graph A): Conventional untreated conductor material consists of many short crystalline grain structures, which furthermore conditional of manufacturing are laying in an inappropriate assembly. So to some extend the information has to find its diffuse way through many grain structures. Flowing through the GRAIN BOUNDARY JUNCTIONS from grain to grain implies an enormous resistance potential und thus causes a slowed down signal transmission. In addition information transmission virtually swirls in the GRAIN BOUNDARY VOIDS, so tones belonging together are time delayed and torn apart. Above all grain boundary voids allow deformations of the grain structure. This in turn may result in GRAIN CONTACT POINTS, whose resonances may distort the information.
IMPACT: a slowed down, time delayed and distorted information transmission

A-loving-mazing.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I've seen markov chain output with more common sense and technical expertise. Although i guess that's a slovenian site, so i hope they just used google translate to create this abomination.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I've seen markov chain output with more common sense and technical expertise. Although i guess that's a slovenian site, so i hope they just used google translate to create this abomination.
It seems to be translated from German.

And what they are doing seems to be vaguely based on an actually existing technique to increase tensile strength.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The translation got the gist pretty well.

If they have a custom process, which I doubt, it's probably some stupid poo poo like annealing the copper within a magnetic field.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

http://www.lessloss.com/tunnelbridge-distortionless-interconnect-system-p-204.html

This one had me in tears at work.
I attempted to sell the idea to my coworkers, and was responded to as one might to a frothing lunatic.
Amazing.

I like checking back on lessloss every month or so if any new delights have popped up! They did not disappoint today.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So it's the audio equivalent of The Picture of Dorian Gray? Ingenious! :downs:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Nintendo Kid posted:

Remember when Audiophiles used to argue about what was the best quality CD-Rs?

"and wide sparkle"

Seriously. What in the actual gently caress?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I think audiophile bullshit is the reason why I just generally hate all marketing. It's just so dense and utterly meaningless.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
What does that thing even do? It's like a fancy USB power supply?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TomR posted:

What does that thing even do? It's like a fancy USB power supply?

No, it's even more than that.

It's a set of interconnect (RCA or XLR) cables that require their own dedicated power supply, in order to move all the distortion from the cables to a "sacrificial circuit", where it is discarded.

It is exactly as insane as it sounds.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Sounds bad. Like actively bad. Putting power to an RCA cable just means that it now has a way to get distorted. That's like the last thing you want.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TomR posted:

Sounds bad. Like actively bad. Putting power to an RCA cable just means that it now has a way to get distorted. That's like the last thing you want.

Apparently, you don't understand sacrificial circuits that magically leech all the distortion that was introduced by your line amp to begin with. It's obvious you just don't have what it takes to be a true connoisseur of high end audio.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

KozmoNaut posted:

So it's the audio equivalent of The Picture of Dorian Gray? Ingenious! :downs:

This is the most flawless summary of the idea yet.
Made my day!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ars took a bit steaming dump on the hilariously priced ethernet cables we found a couple of pages ago:

http://arstechnica.com/staff/2015/02/to-the-audiophile-this-10000-ethernet-cable-apparently-makes-sense/

Choice quote - "everything's magic when you're an audiophile"

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
There isn't really a good place to put this and most of us already know how a speaker works, but this is a nice graphic. http://animagraffs.com/loudspeaker/

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

'What makes the Tunnelbridge brilliantly effective is that rather than allow the original signal to wind up in the hands of our "untrustworthy borrower," (sure to be returned damaged), instead it has a surrogate clone take the place of the original signal. In this way, the original signal remains perfectly preserved under watch, while only the cloned copy is "lent to the borrower." '

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

GTO posted:

'What makes the Tunnelbridge brilliantly effective is that rather than allow the original signal to wind up in the hands of our "untrustworthy borrower," (sure to be returned damaged), instead it has a surrogate clone take the place of the original signal. In this way, the original signal remains perfectly preserved under watch, while only the cloned copy is "lent to the borrower." '

That's so stupid.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BigFactory posted:

That's so stupid.

Is it? If I make a non-sensical statement that results in millions of dollars in revenue, is it stupid?

These guys are the equivalent of patent medicine salesman of the 19th century, some of whom made mad money and were shrewd (and sociopathic) as hell. Any positive outcome experienced by the consumer after use is a coincidence.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

flosofl posted:

Is it? If I make a non-sensical statement that results in millions of dollars in revenue, is it stupid?

These guys are the equivalent of patent medicine salesman of the 19th century, some of whom made mad money and were shrewd (and sociopathic) as hell. Any positive outcome experienced by the consumer after use is a coincidence.

No, it's still stupid.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BigFactory posted:

That's so stupid.

So it's like RAID 1 except the main drive always gets corrupted while the secondary is always pristine...Somehow.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's like someone learned about a sacrificial anode and decided to apply the concept to something completely unrelated.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I'm not sure if this or the magic black box that stops space alien radiation is better? I'm glad that the two more crackpot designs are from the same company, at least.

I think the latter is more in line with crystals and magical talismans - whereas this TunnelBridge is a deliciously sciencey-sounding techno-wizardry solution to a problem you never knew you had.

Tough call!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I love that it uses common USB plugs and cables. They could at least have used something a bit more professional, like the Audio Note CD player where the power supply is connected using 3-pin XLR, 4-pin XLR and 5-pin XLR:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/693170/Audio-Note-Cdt-Six.html?page=5#manual

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

I'm not sure if this or the magic black box that stops space alien radiation is better? I'm glad that the two more crackpot designs are from the same company, at least.

I think the latter is more in line with crystals and magical talismans - whereas this TunnelBridge is a deliciously sciencey-sounding techno-wizardry solution to a problem you never knew you had.

Tough call!

Thank you for remembering this thing, it's my favourite. They don't seem to sell it anymore though!! :(

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

KillHour posted:

It's like someone learned about a sacrificial anode and decided to apply the concept to something completely unrelated.
They also implicitly say that the color added to the plastic in cables can color your sound, so they are pretty decent at conflating unrelated concepts.

I also like their semi-random wiki citations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

TheLastManStanding posted:

They also implicitly say that the color added to the plastic in cables can color your sound, so they are pretty decent at conflating unrelated concepts.

I also like their semi-random wiki citations.

Is -this- why they make a point of showing off their no-colour-added cable insulation?
I was wondering... and hoping there is some other more reasonable explanation like... dye somehow affects the plasticity? Aahaha who am I kidding. Even that sounds retarded!

Feels good to know that there are indeed -insane- people out there.

For the morbidly curious or forgetful, the aforementioned anti-space-ray magic box thing:

http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 13, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DarkDobe posted:

Is -this- why they make a point of showing off their no-colour-added cable insulation?
I was wondering... and hoping there is some other more reasonable explanation like... dye somehow affects the plasticity? Aahaha who am I kidding. Even that sounds retarded!

Feels good to know that there are indeed -insane- people out there.

For the morbidly curious or forgetful, the aforementioned anti-space-ray magic box thing:

http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html

OK that's it. I'm going to buy a bunch of these and mark them up 1,000%

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

flosofl posted:

OK that's it. I'm going to buy a bunch of these and mark them up 1,000%

Umm, that is an alien space ray generator, you don't want that anywhere near your gear

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

taqueso posted:

Umm, that is an alien space ray generator, you don't want that anywhere near your gear

No no no. As you see by the colors, they capture the colored space-rays so as to not affect the color of your sound. Sheesh.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

flosofl posted:

No no no. As you see by the colors, they capture the colored space-rays so as to not affect the color of your sound. Sheesh.

Oh, I see! Interesting that they don't manage to capture any red space-rays, the most destructive of all space rays.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

taqueso posted:

Oh, I see! Interesting that they don't manage to capture any red space-rays, the most destructive of all space rays.

Saving that for the gen 2 model. Which will cost at least twice as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Do audiophiles sperg about ECC memory? Seems perfect for them: it protects against mysterious cosmic rays, the errors protected against are very rare and hard to identify, and it costs a bunch of money versus the typical solution. I guess the only downside is that it actually serves a practical purpose.