Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

Shout out to the cheap laser printers. I have a $50 dollar one I picked up from Fry's and she's still chugging ~8 years later

I grabbed an old Laserjet 6P off the loading dock at school something like 6 years ago and it's done OK for my printing needs. The network card got flaky a year or two ago, so I haven't been using it, but I just bought a replacement at Weird Stuff for $10, so I may be back in business soon.

Still on the original toner, too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I still have my old HP 2100TN. Still plugging along after 16 years of constant use. Only thing I wish it had was duplex.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

I've got its hot colour sister, it has a touch screen and does A3 at a push:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-MFC...her+mfc+j4510dw

loving £100 ink :negative:

She only dresses like that for attention. It's what's on the inside that really counts (gently caress inkjets, laser 4 lyfe)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

She only dresses like that for attention. It's what's on the inside that really counts (gently caress inkjets, laser 4 lyfe)

What's inside is my wages ha ha.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just bought a replacement at Weird Stuff for $10, so I may be back in business soon.

What up south bay buddy

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Joining the laser printer crew. Got a decent brother printer, toner costs $70 but lasts about 3 years, and that's with me printing a ton of letters and invoices in the past, plus a heap of recipes, and my partner printing out a lot of study notes, assignments and general stuff.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Feb 11, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fo3 posted:

Joining the laser printer crew. Got a decent brother printer, toner costs $70 but lasts about 3 years, and that's with me printing a ton of letters and invoices in the past, plus a heap of recipes, and my partner printing out a lot of study notes, assignments and general stuff.

Yeah using ink to print text/black and white is obsolete and failed technology. Get a laser printer and never look back.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What happened to sublimation printers?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jerry Cotton posted:

I have one for printing on mugs and crap like that

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Jerry Cotton posted:

Pretty much killed by high speed inkjet printers. A lot of photofinishing is now being done by 600-800 print/hour inkjets that can do full sheet coverage and don't require the footprint, chemistry, waste treatment or maintenance requirements of a wet process printer. I worked for FujiFilm (well, their service contractor) until 2012 and the whole industry is moving to inkjet.

That said, they did have a product line that was popular with grocery and drug stores without dedicated photo labs that put two dye-sub printers and a photo kiosk into the rough footprint of a mini refrigerator. From my understanding in talking with come of my former coworkers all of those accounts have dropped the drat things and its widely been viewed as "good riddance."

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Fo3 posted:

If you only care about black, I've had good luck getting cheap off-brand Brother toner carts at 2 for $20. Slickdeals alerts help.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Get a xerox 860, if you can find one.

They have free ink for life.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just got a brand new cassette tape full of soundtrack music, as part of a Humble Bundle merch pack.

When I was a kid, before I got a CD player, I listened to so much music on tapes. Lots and lots of classic rock from my parents' collection. I should totally get a nice tape deck :allears:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I just got a brand new cassette tape full of soundtrack music, as part of a Humble Bundle merch pack.

When I was a kid, before I got a CD player, I listened to so much music on tapes. Lots and lots of classic rock from my parents' collection. I should totally get a nice tape deck :allears:

Tapes are cool because I tend to listen to the whole tape straight through. It's too much hassle to skip a song, so I listen to everything instead of endlessly loving around skipping tracks like I would on a CD.

For a long time in college I had Dark Side of the Moon in my car's tape deck and just listened to that constantly. Finish the tape, flip it over, keep driving.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I remember around 2002 buying a Phaser that used those funky ink blocks, like the 860. The thing had to warm up for quite a long time and the staff kept turning it off and then bitching about waiting for it to be ready.

It would slowly fill the waste tray with a hideous dark purple blob of wasted toner from all the reheats.

Dick Trauma has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Feb 11, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Cat Hatter posted:

These "physical media is dead" posts are getting out of control.

The only thing I ever print at home is like checklists for videogame bullshit which I could just use my tablet for but a paper and pen is probably quicker anyway. Hardly what I would call a "need to print" situation.

Re: cassette talk, I kind of miss my 8-track collection. I had a decent player and a handful of decent 8-tracks I got while working at goodwill. I even had some still sealed blank 8-tracks and a recorder if you can imagine that. I wanted to make some custom White Zombie 8-tracks but never got around to doing it.

8-tracks were cool and weird because they were older than tapes but had track select features when tapes didn't!

Light Gun Man has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Feb 11, 2015

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I remember around 2002 buying a Phaser that used those funky ink blocks, like the 860. The thing had to warm up for quite a long time and the staff kept turning it off and then bitching about waiting for it to be ready.

It would slowly fill the waste tray with a hideous dark purple blob of wasted toner from all the reheats.

This is the Solid-ink Phaser's big brother:

Does the equivalent of 10 000 sheets per minute. The technology isn't quite dead.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

What does equivalent of mean in this context? Does it print a continuous roll?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, continuous feed, 2-up. 500 Feet per minute.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Nutsngum posted:

gently caress its weird seeing Beyond2000 with an american presenter. That show ran for like 15 years here in Australia and never really knew it was popular overseas.

Back in the early 90s I went to the Channel 10 studios in Sydney to film a bit with Iain Finlay on Beyond 2000. They were doing something about CDs and needed a high-powered laser to do some visual effects. So my friend and I turn up and set up his 7 watt argon laser and run through some ideas. It reflects interestingly off a CD surface so we play around with that.

Later on we break out the smoke machine some more and start making some nice wave effects. One of the crew gets their huge studio camera in the wave for some beauty shots, and we warn him strenuously not to lift the front of the camera up and get the laser directly down the lens.
Eventually he does this though and the picture on the monitor flared out like a bomb went off, then recovered but had a big fat smear in the middle that didn't go away for the following few hours we were there. For all I know he killed that camera.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Guy Axlerod posted:

Yeah, continuous feed, 2-up. 500 Feet per minute.

Way back in the day i used to run a xerox docutech.

I've always had a boner for mechanical systems that move paper. Newspaper printers give me a chub too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had to deal with one of those Docutechs and it was quite reliable up until the day the glue dispenser for the binder caught on fire. That beast was so large for a moment all i could do was stand there with the fire extinguisher while smoke drifted out, trying to figure out what part was burning.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ron Jeremy posted:

I've always had a boner for mechanical systems that move paper. Newspaper printers give me a chub too.

We had something along these lines (smaller/cheaper I'm sure, but big) in a school class once. A teacher was screaming at us to print something and we're like "are you sure" and they just kept saying yes and we did it and welp someone left one of the doors open and now there's ink everywhere.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
This printer talk reminded me of The Secret Life of Machines episode on copiers. About a third of the way into the episode they give a demonstration of the world's first commercial xerographic copier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2NIAD5qn7E&t=498s

If you're a fan of obsolete tech the whole episode (and hell, the whole series) are worth watching.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Gromit posted:

For all I know he killed that camera.
Guaranteed he killed the pickup tubes, those are permanently damaged by any kind of bright light, not just a laser.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

KozmoNaut posted:

You can still get Walkman-style cassette players for pretty cheap. I'm actually listening to one right now. There's a record store by me that sells a lot of old bootleg tapes, so it's pretty cool getting to hear live shows from 30 years ago, or demo tapes of old bands that never made it.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Mr.Radar posted:

This printer talk reminded me of The Secret Life of Machines episode on copiers. About a third of the way into the episode they give a demonstration of the world's first commercial xerographic copier:

If you're a fan of obsolete tech the whole episode (and hell, the whole series) are worth watching.

Tim Hunkin Rules. I'll take any opportunity given to say this.

As for printer chat, I have to repeat what I've posted elsewhere that I bought a Xerox Phaser 6125N for $75 off Craigslist, its out of magenta so I can't print in color ATM but it just keeps going and going on the black cart.

The impression count shows 5170 so far.

I have to order the carts from ebay or wherever as NO ONE stocks them here.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

That's really interesting, thanks. As a bonus I finally know why it's called a blueprint.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

KozmoNaut posted:

I consider myself extremely lucky that I managed to score an almost brand new business-grade Kyocera laser printer with all the upgrades, network interface etc. from work a couple of years ago. 99,9% of the time, it does exactly what I tell it, the other 0,1% I have to open and close all the flaps and it seems to come to its senses.

It's kinda handy for printing out recipes, car/motorcycle service diagrams and the like, which saves my smartphone/laptop from a lot of wear and dirtiness.

When I worked at an electronics recycle place 5 years ago I snagged a free Laserjet 2200DTN from the scrap bin. The toner was at 20something % life left. It's down to 19% now. I rarely have to print anything, but even with heavier use it's insane how long an office laserjet toner will last at home.

Dick Trauma posted:

We used to get those at the recycler too. Everyone called the ink blocks "crayons" because you could draw with them if you really felt like it. They make really nice glossy prints, and assuming the printer is warmed up they spit copies out way faster than an inkjet. The blocks sold for more than the printer itself on ebay.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

I had to use a couple of Docucolors at my old job. Goddam were they some pieces of poo poo.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Guaranteed he killed the pickup tubes, those are permanently damaged by any kind of bright light, not just a laser.

in the 90s, this was almost certainly a 3CCD camera, not a tube camera.

(speaking of obsolete technology...)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Vanagoon posted:

Tim Hunkin Rules. I'll take any opportunity given to say this.

The Secret Life of Machines is a pro watch, no lie (but easier to watch on Youtube than their own site.) Along with Tim you had Rex Garrod, who went on to be a big name in Robot Wars, eventually storming out of it as he felt they were becoming too lax with their safety rules.
This, coming from one of the guys who stuck a pencil on the end of their arc welder and stuck it on their workbench so they could make the carbon in it glow white-hot. With no protective gear whatsoever. The pair of them are a joy to behold.

e: Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0ES9TKAf_4&t=210s

Gromit has a new favorite as of 09:23 on Feb 12, 2015

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
:drat: Stone cold. It was sparking all over the place and he barely even flinched.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
When I bought a Mac back in like 1996 in the showroom they had one of those huge rear end printers that took up the whole side of one room, it was really beaten up and lovely looking.

The salesdude told us that the people who bought it on credit were using it to print off fake money to pay for it :lol:

They got caught

peter gabriel has a new favorite as of 15:17 on Feb 12, 2015

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Light Gun Man posted:

The only thing I ever print at home is like checklists for videogame bullshit which I could just use my tablet for but a paper and pen is probably quicker anyway. Hardly what I would call a "need to print" situation.

Cool. Not everyone lives exactly the same. If I want to work on my car I can either write down all the torque specifications by hand or I can print out the page from the repair manual that has them all listed. Even better is if I've never done the procedure before and get to choose between getting my tablet covered in grime or printing out the section I'm working on.

I could easily get by without a printer (or internet, TV, cell phone...) but since printing from a laser printer is practically free and takes about 3 seconds per page I don't really have a reason to.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Gromit posted:

The Secret Life of Machines is a pro watch, no lie (but easier to watch on Youtube than their own site.) Along with Tim you had Rex Garrod, who went on to be a big name in Robot Wars, eventually storming out of it as he felt they were becoming too lax with their safety rules.
This, coming from one of the guys who stuck a pencil on the end of their arc welder and stuck it on their workbench so they could make the carbon in it glow white-hot. With no protective gear whatsoever. The pair of them are a joy to behold.

e: Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0ES9TKAf_4&t=210s

THIS IS RECORDED ON STICKY TAPE AND RUST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOULWR4h4Io&t=536s

I love them because they could nonchalently use the phrase, 'we're going to use our lathes to send a fax to each other'

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

When I bought a Mac back in like 1996 in the showroom they had one of those huge rear end printers that took up the whole side of one room, it was really beaten up and lovely looking.

The salesdude told us that the people who bought it on credit were using it to print off fake money to pay for it :lol:

They got caught

I used it to make fake IDs which I then sold. So pretty much printing money.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

spog posted:

THIS IS RECORDED ON STICKY TAPE AND RUST

Thanks for reminding me - that one is awesome. There's also the one where they compare the energy density of black powder and petrol using a beer-can launcher. With powder the can just barely comes out the end, but with petrol... Well, see for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfr3_AwuO9Y&t=150s

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Cat Hatter posted:

Cool. Not everyone lives exactly the same. If I want to work on my car I can either write down all the torque specifications by hand or I can print out the page from the repair manual that has them all listed. Even better is if I've never done the procedure before and get to choose between getting my tablet covered in grime or printing out the section I'm working on.

I could easily get by without a printer (or internet, TV, cell phone...) but since printing from a laser printer is practically free and takes about 3 seconds per page I don't really have a reason to.

Well at least you were wise enough to get a laser. I'm not even a "digital only forever" kind of guy or anything, I just have a long history of unpleasant printer experiences being thrown onto me by other people so I was bitter, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Light Gun Man posted:

Well at least you were wise enough to get a laser. I'm not even a "digital only forever" kind of guy or anything, I just have a long history of unpleasant printer experiences being thrown onto me by other people so I was bitter, sorry.

That's fine. Printers (especially inkjets) can make anyone crazy.

This pun didn't get enough love.