Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That might have been from Origins' bad ending, which reveals Travis has been killing real people the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

In It For The Tank posted:

Speaking of which, didn't the original Silent Hill have a scrapped ending that revealed that Harry was crazy and that he was running around murdering people and animals? I swear I once heard a sound file that was allegedly ripped from the game that had a dog barking followed by the sound of it being violently killed.

Yeah, pretty sure you're thinking of Origins' "Bad Ending." Travis is strapped down and getting injected with drugs as he has flashbacks to murdering some people (flashbacks include some creepy dialogue and hosed up sounds).

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I found what I was thinking about. It was a sound file from the first Silent Hill, but I guess I extrapolated the idea of a scrapped ending featuring crazy Harry because there's no mention of that.

The sound file is hosted here. It's called "Dog Kill Cat". I can definitely understand why I thought it would fit an ending where Harry is revealed to be a crazy person running around killing dogs, but there's nothing to support that as far as I can see.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
There's a theory that Mary/Laura were hospitalized at St. Jerome's Hospital in Ashfield, which is featured in Silent Hill 4. This is because James' dad is the super of Henry's building in Ashfield, giving the Sunderland family a reason to be in that town. Additionally, a nurse who lives in Henry's building is named Rachel, the same name of the nurse Mary gave her letter to. I don't know if it's mentioned in that game that she specifically works at St. Jerome's, but it's the only hospital we know of in Ashfield, so people have latched on to that idea. I must admit that I'm pretty fond of it, but then again, it's been forever since I played SH4, so I'm not sure if there's any big plotholes to this theory. v:shobon:v

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

VoidBurger posted:

There's a theory that Mary/Laura were hospitalized at St. Jerome's Hospital in Ashfield, which is featured in Silent Hill 4. This is because James' dad is the super of Henry's building in Ashfield, giving the Sunderland family a reason to be in that town. Additionally, a nurse who lives in Henry's building is named Rachel, the same name of the nurse Mary gave her letter to. I don't know if it's mentioned in that game that she specifically works at St. Jerome's, but it's the only hospital we know of in Ashfield, so people have latched on to that idea. I must admit that I'm pretty fond of it, but then again, it's been forever since I played SH4, so I'm not sure if there's any big plotholes to this theory. v:shobon:v

I've heard that before too, and I really like it, if only because it's a nice, really subtle callback if it is true.

SoylentG
Apr 5, 2011
My reading of the game is that Laura is a psychopomp, in that she serves to nudge James onward when it looks like he's becoming distracted. In that role, I always assumed she was a "prop" of the town; There may have been a real Laura once, but the girl James meets in Silent Hill isn't her. I also got the feeling (no sources to back this up) that Angela and Eddie interact with whatever Laura is, but they don't see her as a little girl.

Also, while they're aren't a lot of Catholic medical hospitals run by nuns left in the U.S., there are still tons of Catholic hospices. I'm assuming that Mary was in one of these for her last days.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
It's been way too long since I've played or seen much of SH 2 to have any coherent theories about it, but I'm looking forward to reading everyone else's takes on the story.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SoylentG posted:

My reading of the game is that Laura is a psychopomp, in that she serves to nudge James onward when it looks like he's becoming distracted. In that role, I always assumed she was a "prop" of the town; There may have been a real Laura once, but the girl James meets in Silent Hill isn't her. I also got the feeling (no sources to back this up) that Angela and Eddie interact with whatever Laura is, but they don't see her as a little girl.

Also, while they're aren't a lot of Catholic medical hospitals run by nuns left in the U.S., there are still tons of Catholic hospices. I'm assuming that Mary was in one of these for her last days.

Except there's a part where James says something to Eddie about "that little girl" (or something similar), and Eddie knows he's referring to Laura.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Crowetron posted:

Except there's a part where James says something to Eddie about "that little girl" (or something similar), and Eddie knows he's referring to Laura.
Clearly the dog he killed was named Laura and he was actually just feeding pizza to what he pictured to be a dog in the bowling alley, because deep down Eddie knows how gassy pizza makes a dog and it was all part of his evil plan. So while James was seeing a little girl, Eddie was seeing a farting dog named Laura.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Niggurath posted:

Clearly the dog he killed was named Laura and he was actually just feeding pizza to what he pictured to be a dog in the bowling alley, because deep down Eddie knows how gassy pizza makes a dog and it was all part of his evil plan. So while James was seeing a little girl, Eddie was seeing a farting dog named Laura.

See this was Eddie's grand master plan all along. Eddie didn't shoot that dog because he was crazy. Oh no.

You see, somehow, Eddie found out about the dog. You know the one I mean. The one at the control station. The one who controls EVERYTHING. Don't ask me why the universe chose Eddie as it's savior. But it did. Eddie, now finally had a purpose. But he knew,, if one Dog was secretly controlling all of humanity's actions and destinies, surely he had other evil filthy dogs in his employ.

Eddie did not travel to Silent Hill because he was crazy. Eddie traveled to Silent Hill because he was saner than all of us. Eddie went to Silent Hill to save us. And we killed him, thus dooming humanity to a life of doggy servitude.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
"They look like dogs to you?"

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Krad posted:

"They look like dogs to you?"

All Dogs Go to Heaven's Night.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Fun Silent Hill dog fact: Instead of shooting the dog, Jeremy Blaustein (the translator + VO director) wanted Eddie to kill the dog by feeding it a spring and having it chew its guts out. It was something he'd read of in Slaughterhouse Five, I think. Kinda settled for a middle ground by shooting it, then having it die while chewing its guts out. :staredog:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

dotchan posted:

Is it just me or does Silent Hill have wider roads than an otherwise older semi-abandoned town would have?

That's a deliberate thing to make you feel more isolated. Stand in the middle of the road, then try and see the buildings either side of you. Hell, try looking for the edge of the pavement.

Vnat
Jan 24, 2013
I think we're all avoiding the real mystery about Eddie.
Where did he get pizza, and what dog did he use as a topping?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They look like pizzas to you?

e: chip cheezum's silent hill

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Vnat posted:

I think we're all avoiding the real mystery about Eddie.
Where did he get pizza, and what dog did he use as a topping?
How can you even prove there was a pizza? Maybe the pizza was Eddie's psychopomp.

"Jeez, I'm mostly forgetting that I murdered a dog and now I've got a brand new canine friend named Laura!"
*pizza comes floating into the bowling alley*
"poo poo, it's a pizza. I should probably eat and reflect on what I did."

Vnat
Jan 24, 2013
What if Eddie is the dog.
He's the dog he killed.
He's the dog that is Laura.
He's the dog at the controls.
There is only dog and James.
Welcome to your special place.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Silent Hill is weird and unreliable so I'm going to choose to interpret it as Eddie missing the dog and the dog being healthy and happy forever. :ohdear:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That's a deliberate thing to make you feel more isolated. Stand in the middle of the road, then try and see the buildings either side of you. Hell, try looking for the edge of the pavement.

Unless its the Cliff road where it is barely wide enough to take 3 James' across, let alone an actual road vehicle.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Sorry.

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 11, 2015

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

VoidBurger posted:

Fun Silent Hill dog fact: Instead of shooting the dog, Jeremy Blaustein (the translator + VO director) wanted Eddie to kill the dog by feeding it a spring and having it chew its guts out. It was something he'd read of in Slaughterhouse Five, I think. Kinda settled for a middle ground by shooting it, then having it die while chewing its guts out. :staredog:

What the raging gently caress. How does eating a spring kill a dog? Why would you do something like--- oh, wait. Eddie. I forgot. But still, what the gently caress. Eddie, stop being a sociopath with obscenely violent tendencies.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

AllisonByProxy posted:

Rescinded video!

Huh, Guy Cihi actually seems pretty cool. I thought there was some kinda "controversy" or something and people were calling him a dick or that he had a huge ego because he did or said a thing, but I can't remember what it was. He doesn't come across that way at all in that video, that on top of the fact that he took the time out to do it in the first place.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 11, 2015

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Sorry.

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 11, 2015

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Can you guys not post someone else's Let's Play in my Let's Play thread? That's pretty rude, lol. Especially if it's from one of the guys that is notoriously toxic in the fandom and I really want him to phase out of relevance forever. And since when are streams Let's Plays? If streams are Let's Plays, I've done shitloads of them between Oogie's Revenge and now, haha.

Fungo is a dick, the end.

Guy Cihi is not a "dick," but he's a bizarre person. He doesn't know as much about Silent Hill as the actual developers. He fancies himself an actor, but he's a business dude who happened to look sad enough for Team Silent to wanna audition him for James while he was there having his daughter audition for Laura (she didn't get the part.) He's spent the last couple of years realizing that Silent Hill fans are desperate for idols, so now he's milking it and basking in it and being super strange, but SH fans eat that poo poo up. He's not the savior of the HD Collection, more that he's the one that brought up (non-existent??) contracts and (non-existent) royalties/residuals, which ground production of the HD Collection to a screeching halt. He's the savior in that he capitulated when Konami was saying "Um, okay then we WON'T have the old voices in SH2 (because Konami don't give a gently caress) and it'll be all your fault!" Instead of dragging the HD Collection down with his stubbornness, Guy let them go ahead and use their voices, then took the majority of the credit for "saving" the HD Collection's voices. It's kind of hosed up????

Source: Bob and I interviewed Guy Cihi, Jeremy Blaustein, and Tomm Hulett about Silent Hill in general + The HD Collection for The Grate Debate, but those videos aren't out yet because we're slow and that particular video is a massive undertaking. :(

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

VoidBurger posted:

Guy Cihi is not a "dick," but he's a bizarre person. He doesn't know as much about Silent Hill as the actual developers. He fancies himself an actor, but he's a business dude who happened to look sad enough for Team Silent to wanna audition him for James while he was there having his daughter audition for Laura (she didn't get the part.) He's spent the last couple of years realizing that Silent Hill fans are desperate for idols, so now he's milking it and basking in it and being super strange, but SH fans eat that poo poo up. He's not the savior of the HD Collection, more that he's the one that brought up (non-existent??) contracts and (non-existent) royalties/residuals, which ground production of the HD Collection to a screeching halt. He's the savior in that he capitulated when Konami was saying "Um, okay then we WON'T have the old voices in SH2 (because Konami don't give a gently caress) and it'll be all your fault!" Instead of dragging the HD Collection down with his stubbornness, Guy let them go ahead and use their voices, then took the majority of the credit for "saving" the HD Collection's voices. It's kind of hosed up????

...That sounds kind of like a dick to me? I mean, I'm not going to say that he's a bad person, but what you just described is either a dick, or someone who is in way over their heads and doesn't realize it's going to eat them whole.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I'm really sorry, wasn't trying to be a dick or derail the thread. I just thought other Silent Hill fans might be interested. Please forget I was here.

I really enjoyed the first episode of this LP and look forward to the rest!

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

King Vidiot posted:

that on top of the fact that he took the time out to do it in the first place.
He's recorded chunks of that Silent Hill arcade with a fan while quoting Silent Hill 2. He's had a pizza party for his birthday in Brooklyn where he invited Silent Hill fans. He's not really "taking the time out" of his life to be cool, he just seems to enjoy feeling famous sometimes. I don't blame him for milking the fame if he wants to go and do that for fun, but don't mistake it as an entirely selfless act.

bman in 2288 posted:

...That sounds kind of like a dick to me? I mean, I'm not going to say that he's a bad person, but what you just described is either a dick, or someone who is in way over their heads and doesn't realize it's going to eat them whole.
I feel like, unlike Fungo and the leftovers of TwinPerfect, Guy Cihi doesn't intend to be a dick. People think his weirdness is him playing it up for laughs, because he's James and that's funny. I think he isn't really playing it up, he really is a VERY odd man who does VERY odd things and has a very disproportionate idea of how influential/important/professional he is in this very specific realm that is Silent Hill. People treat him as a celeb, he acts like a celeb. People treat him as an authority, he acts like an authority. He's not an actor, he's a very odd guy who happened to star in a 2001 survival horror game out of sheer serendipity.

AllisonByProxy posted:

I'm really sorry, wasn't trying to be a dick or derail the thread. I just thought other Silent Hill fans might be interested. Please forget I was here.

I really enjoyed the first episode of this LP and look forward to the rest!
Apology accepted! Just-- YEESH, why'd it have to be the the LP of one of the worst fans out there? lol, just unfortunate. I was one of the first people to suggest Guy do an LP with Dave while someone else was playing the game for him (I think I even said "The fandom will eat that poo poo up!") - another thing Bob can attest to! Too bad Guy went with that one dick and not anybody else, but Guy's gonna go with the people that lick his boots the most and reinforce his various beliefs regarding Silent Hill and who's most important to it because Guy's just... one of those guys.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Yeah, for most people, the town seems very normal. Even James and Mary, before she was hospitalized, visited it and it was just a normal resort for them.

I think this probably has nothing to do with the current discussion, but I just wanted to say that I really like the idea behind the town just being a normal town to most people and that there's some sort of presence that exists around the town that shapes it's self to how unfortunate people view themselves. Like maybe it only appeared to those cult people in 1 and 3 because that's how they thought of it, but it's not really some evil god. Or at least not in the way that those people thought of it.

But I'm kind of surprised that none of the games really explored just the regular town. You had the fog world and the other world, but none of them (that I'm aware of) have bits in the real world. Though I'd imagine a game like that would be similar to Deadly Premonition without the towns people all knowing what's going on.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

D_W posted:

I think this probably has nothing to do with the current discussion, but I just wanted to say that I really like the idea behind the town just being a normal town to most people and that there's some sort of presence that exists around the town that shapes it's self to how unfortunate people view themselves. Like maybe it only appeared to those cult people in 1 and 3 because that's how they thought of it, but it's not really some evil god. Or at least not in the way that those people thought of it.

But I'm kind of surprised that none of the games really explored just the regular town. You had the fog world and the other world, but none of them (that I'm aware of) have bits in the real world. Though I'd imagine a game like that would be similar to Deadly Premonition without the towns people all knowing what's going on.

I want to get some lunch and then take a nap in my hotel room but Pyramid Head just won't leave me alone!!!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

D_W posted:

GTA: Silent Hill

When you get to 5 stars, then you enter the Fog Town.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I want to get some lunch and then take a nap in my hotel room but Pyramid Head just won't leave me alone!!!

Hey, it's almost the story of Silent Hill 4.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
This is from a page ago but holy poo poo I had no idea the letter eventually became blank, that's a really cool detail.

Ahhh it's been years and I'm still learning new poo poo about this game, how is that even possible at this point?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
It's too bad Guy Cihi couldn't "save" the Collection from looking like absolute crap.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

BlackFrost posted:

This is from a page ago but holy poo poo I had no idea the letter eventually became blank, that's a really cool detail.

Ahhh it's been years and I'm still learning new poo poo about this game, how is that even possible at this point?

Yeah, I don't think I went back and looked at it again after the beginning of the game, either.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Anoia posted:

Yeah, I don't think I went back and looked at it again after the beginning of the game, either.

I've done it a few times when shooting for the In Water ending, since I believe that's one of the qualifiers. Never did it past Eddie though I guess.

Oddly enough, the last time I played it was to show a friend the game. I'm with VoidBurger in that the In Water ending is the "canon" one so I shot for that as best I could. Low health, letter rereading, listening to the hallway flashback all that... And then, I got the "Leave" ending for the first time. I was super confused. Are the qualifiers for that one pretty similar?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

BlackFrost posted:

I've done it a few times when shooting for the In Water ending, since I believe that's one of the qualifiers. Never did it past Eddie though I guess.

Oddly enough, the last time I played it was to show a friend the game. I'm with VoidBurger in that the In Water ending is the "canon" one so I shot for that as best I could. Low health, letter rereading, listening to the hallway flashback all that... And then, I got the "Leave" ending for the first time. I was super confused. Are the qualifiers for that one pretty similar?

Check the knife, read the suicide note on the roof of the hospital. Those are the big ones aside from being at low health. Letter reading and the hallway conversation lead to a different ending, I believe. It's been a while.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember one of the changers is how often you look at the knife. Like, the difference between glancing at it and repeatedly looking at the description like you were obsessed with putting the thing in your neck.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Yeah, reading Mary's Letter, looking at her photo, and listening to the entire hallway conversation are factors towards the Leave Ending, not In Water.

Though I managed to get my first LP playthrough of this so close between two endings that I got In Water first, reloaded, and looked at Mary's letter about 15 times, then got Leave.

Leave Main Influencers:
-Keep your health in the green for the majority of the game.
-Read Mary's letter and look at her photo. The more you do both, the more it seems to lean towards Leave.
-Listen to the whole hallway conversation at the end.

In Water Main Influencers:
-Be stingy with healing items and don't spend too much of the game at full health
-Look at Angela's knife more. The more you do it, the more it seems to lean toward In Water.
-Don't listen to the whole hallway conversation.
-Listen to the tape in the hotel's Library, the one where James is talking to Mary's doctor.

I'm note sure about the rooftop suicide diary, though. I thought you HAD to read it to get PH to appear and knock you off the roof? At least, he refused to appear in my practice run unless I had read the diary before checking out that one door. I was trying to purposefully skip reading it on that run so my ending wouldn't be affected by it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Weird. Pyramid head showed up in my second playthrough on the roof without fail when I purposefully avoided the In Water ending, which I got last time. Maybe there's a timer for when he appears?

Speaking of, that moment is the only real moment I could call a jump scare in the game. At least, it freaked me out when he just sauntered over to me from off-screen. Silent Hill, as a series, never relies on jump scares, but when they do happen they tend to be pretty well-executed, mainly because there's usually one per game.

• Locked thread